• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I've added you all as friends on 3DS so feel free to add me in turn. I need them Friend safari catches.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I haven't done a "Case 4" DLC article on Source Gaming in a long time, but @ Burb Burb really inspired me to go back to the series.

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/08/15/smash-4-dlc-the-case-for-shantae/
I love how it's a Pro-Shantae article, yet the arguments provided in the "Reasons Against" section are a lot stronger than the ones in the "Reason For" section.

The advertising point has always been flimsy as hell (What, is Nintendo supposed to not advertise the games on its e-shop? Meme Run of all games was front and center on the Home Menu for a while), and Bozon's grovelling means nothing except that he wants her in Smash. If him saying "Vote for Shantae!" helps her cause, then I guess Sonichu could get in, because Christian Weston Chandler did the same thing.

Don't get me wrong, it was a well-written article, but even after reading it, I still haven't heard a single good reason to think Shantae is anything but Geno 2.0. "She's got fans!" is the only even somewhat valid one, and that's not really saying anything, because there's about a dozen characters who have more fans, are first/second party, and aren't as niche.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I love how it's a Pro-Shantae article, yet the arguments provided in the "Reasons Against" section are a lot stronger than the ones in the "Reason For" section.

The advertising point has always been flimsy as hell (What, is Nintendo supposed to not advertise the games on its e-shop? Meme Run of all games was front and center on the Home Menu for a while), and Bozon's grovelling means nothing except that he wants her in Smash. If him saying "Vote for Shantae!" helps her cause, then I guess Sonichu could get in, because Christian Weston Chandler did the same thing.

Don't get me wrong, it was a well-written article, but even after reading it, I still haven't heard a single good reason to think Shantae is anything but Geno 2.0. "She's got fans!" is the only even somewhat valid one, and that's not really saying anything, because there's about a dozen characters who have more fans, are first/second party, and aren't as niche.
In the grand scheme of things Shantae is above Geno (Owners actually want her in for instance) but that's not saying a awful lot. I really want her in but I know we'd sooner see Rayman or Dig Dug or something first.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'd love to see an actual indie Smash-like game, completely indie made so everything even fits.

Then we can have all these random indie characters fighting each other in actual combat instead of for a "spot" in Smash.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

I believe it's mostly due to that most people want someone to represent the Indies for Smash and Shantae is the only one who has a bigger footing than most request (Shovel Knight being an example).

My thing is this, compared to most other requests of indie characters, Shantae stands above and beyond but you gotta realize that Japan plays a factor into this and her games haven't reach there until recently and her biggest supporters are in the size of a cult status fanbase.

Even then, a requirement for Indie reps is flimsy and something I won't get behind.
She's third party but not only that but she doesn't have the staying power or status as most other third-party characters.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
In the grand scheme of things Shantae is above Geno (Owners actually want her in for instance) but that's not saying a awful lot. I really want her in but I know we'd sooner see Rayman or Dig Dug or something first.
Yes, she is above Geno.

The comparison I draw between them isn't just about chances, it's about their fanbases overrating their chances and importance, and the way their fans tend to act (Examples being crap like Geno fans saying he was in Brawl but got cut last minute, and Shantae's fans editing IMDB to make it seem like she was confirmed for SSB4, like @ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A mentioned).

I'd love to see an actual indie Smash-like game, completely indie made so everything even fits.

Then we can have all these random indie characters fighting each other in actual combat instead of for a "spot" in Smash.
She'd be far, far more at home in a game like that.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

It'd not a pro-Shantae article, though. It's just a short primer for the character and her relation/chance to be in Smash. Which I think is like 0.03%..... I also do not particularly want her in Smash. I've said again and again that the only third party characters I push for in Smash are characters with legacy. (I mean, I am the guy who was aruging that Layton was too new of a character for a guest spot not too long ago.)

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Yes, she is above Geno.

The comparison I draw between them isn't just about chances, it's about their fanbases overrating their chances and importance, and the way their fans tend to act (Examples being crap like Geno fans saying he was in Brawl but got cut last minute, and Shantae's fans editing IMDB to make it seem like she was confirmed for SSB4, like @ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A mentioned).
I see and agree with your point though I remember Geno fans being much worse in the Brawl days. Maybe I just have Jade Tinted Glasses for that time period.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Then DigitalHomicide sues them as it's not fair use unless they get a character. Don't forget the Unit Z asset pack from Unity!

Khoru

Smash Champion

there have been a few attempts but sadly they've all fallen through. i know indie brawl also had a number of very obscure characters by today's standards, like nikujin and lyle
i'm working on concepts for such a thing though
the roster has been altered kinda significantly from what i posted a while back, particularly based on @Naoshi's words on quantity over quality
i'm doing assists, stages, and music too
i'm aiming for as little overlap as possible in stage concepts (like how half the series in smash have been typecasted) so there are some really neat ones imo like antichamber

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I see and agree with your point though I remember Geno fans being much worse in the Brawl days. Maybe I just have Jade Tinted Glasses for that time period.
Pretty much everything in regard to SSB4 speculation is toned down from SSBB.

The only thing I can think of that got significantly worse was the Ridley support (and to a lesser extent, K. Rool).

I also like to compare SSBB's Wolf vs Krystal wars to the ones between Dixie and K. Rool for SSB4, even though the Krystal and Wolf feud was a lot more heated.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

The only thing I can think of that got significantly worse was the Ridley support (and to a lesser extent, K. Rool).

I also like to compare SSBB's Wolf vs Krystal wars to the ones between Dixie and K. Rool for SSB4, even though the Krystal and Wolf feud was a lot more heated.
Dixie vs K. Rool don't even have an argument in majority cases.

Both sides wouldn't mind either one getting in and most are fans of both.

Krystal vs Wolf is the same issue of 'villain vs female protag' but I believe is worst and still is considering Krystal hasn't appeared in a Star Fox game since Command and demand for her dropped hard. Although I hate how both sides wanna bring in :4falco: as like he doesn't deserve or need to be in there because he's more similar to :4fox: than those two would be.

Falco is still a fan favorite and is a main part of the team

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
And now, very few people even consider Krystal a plausible candidate for Smash with most people seeing Wolf as an highly likely one. How things have tipped in Wolf's favour.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Then DigitalHomicide sues them as it's not fair use unless they get a character. Don't forget the Unit Z asset pack from Unity!
Well they can't do it quite yet. First, Jim Sterling has to play the game. Then they'll make their move capitalizing on it. Preferably something about how it's not fair he liked their game more than them.

Also, Meat Boy or bust.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Dixie vs K. Rool don't even have an argument in majority cases.

Both sides wouldn't mind either one getting in and most are fans of both.

Krystal vs Wolf is the same issue of 'villain vs female protag' but I believe is worst and still is considering Krystal hasn't appeared in a Star Fox game since Command and demand for her dropped hard. Although I hate how both sides wanna bring in :4falco: as like he doesn't deserve or need to be in there because he's more similar to :4fox: than those two would be.

Falco is still a fan favorite and is a main part of the team
The old topic in the Leaks board was locked on one occasion due to a K. Rool/Dixie argument.

It's far less heated and there's a lot more people who are willing to compromise (Like you mentioned, most K. Rool and Dixie supporters would settle for the opposite character, while with Wolf/Krystal, there was none of that), but there's still a feud.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

@ PushDustIn PushDustIn found a new interview about Wolf and the other late Brawl additions. It's interesting stuff.... One thing I'll mention before it actually goes up is that Sakurai was actively looking to have 3 Star Fox characters on the roster.

Chrono.

Why is that Geno Project M thing on the front page I thought Warchamp debunked that last night

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
And now, very few people even consider Krystal a plausible candidate for Smash with most people seeing Wolf as an highly likely one. How things have tipped in Wolf's favour.
Being actually playable can do that for a character like Wolf.

The old topic in the Leaks board was locked on one occasion due to a K. Rool/Dixie argument.

It's far less heated and there's a lot more people who are willing to compromise (Like you mentioned, most K. Rool and Dixie supporters would settle for the opposite character, while with Wolf/Krystal, there was none of that), but there's still a feud.
Yeah but I doubt the feud is something like that is possible compared to that of Wolf and Krystal.

Waluigi vs Daisy is still as bad as before but is getting worse with :rosalina::4bowserjr: in the game.

Now if you wanna see character fans arguments try FE regarding anyone not named :4marth:. Especially Roy vs Ike, Ike vs Chrom and anything regarding Lucina.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Why is that Geno Project M thing on the front page I thought Warchamp debunked that last night
to piss off Burb :troll:

A lot of things get on the front page regardless of how pointless they are(like the Shantae tweet), so it really doesn't matter.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
@ PushDustIn PushDustIn found a new interview about Wolf and the other late Brawl additions. It's interesting stuff.... One thing I'll mention before it actually goes up is that Sakurai was actively looking to have 3 Star Fox characters on the roster.
Lol I wasn't going to tease this for a week or so. Was hoping to finish what characters are being requested in Japan. I'm 700 votes in, should be very conclusive.

Also Source Gaming is doing an AMA today. Check the newest post for worldwide times.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Pissing me off with that would require me to actually care about Project M. :awesome:
Nah, I'm kidding. Him being added to PM wouldn't stop support for SSB4 anyway.
Much like Ridl- *shot*

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If we "need" to have a character to "represent" the eShop and whatnot. I'd be more than happy with Mallo personally..... At least he's a Nintendo character that Japan is somewhat familiar with.... :T

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Lol I wasn't going to tease this for a week or so. Was hoping to finish what characters are being requested in Japan. I'm 700 votes in, should be very conclusive.

Also Source Gaming is doing an AMA today. Check the newest post for worldwide times.
Just gonna say this, prepare for a... certain question that's asked in like all AMA's lol.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Wait for the article! ;-)
When is the article gonna come?

Being actually playable can do that for a character like Wolf.

Yeah but I doubt the feud is something like that is possible compared to that of Wolf and Krystal.

Waluigi vs Daisy is still as bad as before but is getting worse with :rosalina::4bowserjr: in the game.

Now if you wanna see character fans arguments try FE regarding anyone not named :4marth:. Especially Roy vs Ike, Ike vs Chrom and anything regarding Lucina.
I remember a lot of debates about Chrom vs Ike, Chrom vs Roy, Chrom vs Lucina, Chrom vs Robin and, well, basically anyone vs Chrom.:grin:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom