• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I would gladly accept more females in Smash like Shantae

Smash has too many shota's, bishi's, and bara's. The only exceptable ones are the Rhythm Wrestler and Wonder Red.

Last edited:

Khoru

Smash Champion
I would gladly accept more females in Smash like Shantae

Smash has too many shota's, bishi's, and bara's. The only exceptable ones are the Rhythm Wrestler and Wonder Red.
not sure if serious, but while smash is lacking in female characters, that doesn't mean sakurai/whoever should reach to get more just because of their sex
like i was saying a while back on race, the issue is more on nintendo - pretty much all of the particularly meaningful ladies except for dixie, medusa, tetra, and isabelle (and arguably krystal, depending on whether she's retconned) are already in smash
inklings are a guarantee for next time, and azura has a muuuuch better shot than corrin imo (assuming fates even gets a character), but... idk. femaleness as a factor for inclusion seems kinda silly

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
So...it took a little more than 30 minutes. Sorry about that, had to correct that translation error :3.

Here's the interview with @gameonion and Nibroc!

The people responsible for creating this:

It should give us some insight on why people create fake leaks.

Let me know how you feel about the interview format. I have another interview lined up, so comments and suggestions are highly appreciated.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Huh. I actually got tagged for a video. Kewl.
I can t be the only person who agrees with this 100% @ Kalimdori Kalimdori great video
Thank you!
Obviously I don't agree with all of @ Kalimdori Kalimdori 's sentiments.
1. @Aeris translated the patch notes update information. They were featured on reddit and the front page of SmashBoards at least. They weren't hard to find, at least 15,000 people viewed them directly on Source Gaming. They were also featured on Nintendo Everything. I do agree 100% that Nintendo should've included the patch notes update information in English.

2. He calls people who believe that costumes are de-confirmation "stupid" and then later says it's a real possibility in his video. Either way, this isn't a good attitude to have in the community. No one is "stupid". There are only people who have different interpretations of the facts. The only people who are "stupid" are the ones that are blatant making up stuff/ ignoring facts when it's convenient for them.

3. Mentions the Ridley debacle. Which is as bright as day evidence that the community takes anything that's ambiguous and runs in the opposite direction. For crying out loud the screen he showed says 'Other boss characters may appear'. That should've been Ridley's death then and there, but people wanted to hold onto false hope and hype. I know retrospect is 20/20, but common.

4. He says Sakurai hates K. Rool. Yeah, because Sakurai also hates Goku. He hated Dedede until sometime in in 2006 as Dedede wasn't in any Smash games until then. There's a lot of stuff that goes into designing and picking the characters for Smash. It's not as simple as "I hate this character. Time not include him". Frankly, that's a very immature way of looking at it, and I hope the community grows out of it. It's more like "This character doesn't work because XYZ". Why wasn't Llyod featured in the game over Pac-Man? Maybe it's because he had a popular game on the Gamecube and we are now on the Wii U. Why is he a costume now? To appease the fans, obviously.

5. Tourney mode complaining. I get this. There's a lot of features not in it that should be. Also, my personal theory is the whole 3 minute timeline for stocks -- it's for replays. It's an awful game design choice as it doesn't reflect how tourneys are played. But then again Smash isn't a fighter. It's classified as "action-based fighter" (or an "opponent based action game" depending on what translation you prefer)

I do like the actual video. @ Kalimdori Kalimdori did a great job selecting footage that matched up with what he was talking about. His speech style is also effective. I do largely agree with his sentiments on the Mii Fighter Costumes, but making them actually play somewhat like their character would require a lot more work. Work that is going to be extremely limited.

Okay, now that I finished "responding" (see Etika, I responded and yet I'm still a news source. You can do both.) I'm going to put up the interview with the Dr. Mario fake leakers up. Give me ~30 minutes as I need coffee.
1. Meant it more as that Nintendo didn't announce them in English, I had a hard time finding any official English announcements, which I found odd, not that they couldn't be found at all. Understand the confusion though.

2. I thoroughly believe that people who think they are 100% disconfirmations are being stupid. I'm a harsh, rather immature, opinionated person, sue me :p

3. Exactly.

4. If Sakurai were to give a valid reason I'd change my views on it. But K. Rool's been a highly requested character for years, and Sakurai's a human, human's have personal bias's and opinions. I'd change my wording from "Hating" K. Rool, cause in hindsight that's a bit of a harsh sentiment that probably isn't true. Also, Lloyd v PacMan isn't a good comparison in the slightest, completely different scenario.

5. Glad you agree.

And happy you liked the video!

Why can't more people give constructive criticism like this? Infinitely better then the stuff I get in the Youtube comment sections.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Huh. I actually got tagged for a video. Kewl.

Thank you!

1. Meant it more as that Nintendo didn't announce them in English, I had a hard time finding any official English announcements, which I found odd, not that they couldn't be found at all. Understand the confusion though.

2. I thoroughly believe that people who think they are 100% disconfirmations are being stupid. I'm a harsh, rather immature, opinionated person, sue me :p

3. Exactly.

4. If Sakurai were to give a valid reason I'd change my views on it. But K. Rool's been a highly requested character for years, and Sakurai's a human, human's have personal bias's and opinions. I'd change my wording from "Hating" K. Rool, cause in hindsight that's a bit of a harsh sentiment that probably isn't true. Also, Lloyd v PacMan isn't a good comparison in the slightest, completely different scenario.

5. Glad you agree.

And happy you liked the video!

Why can't more people give constructive criticism like this? Infinitely better then the stuff I get in the Youtube comment sections.
2. I really think it's a legit concern. I had a whole debate with this topic with other people in this thread. I think everyone is sick of hearing my opinion (as I'm also a very opinionated person too :p) so I'll spare the details in this thread (but if you want to discuss this in a chat, I'll be happy to). I plan on writing an article about online polling before I do round 2 of what characters Japanese players are talking about.

4. There's been a lot of highly requested characters for years. Megaman was requested since Melee, but didn't make it until Smash for Wii U/3DS. Having a balance between the newcomers, consideration of game balance and development time, copyright issues, relevancy and more must be taken into consideration. Sukapon was a cut made in Melee (as an item) because copyright issues couldn't be sorted out. Ridley has been unable to make it due to size and the general overpowered nature of the character. Sakurai doesn't hate Ridley. Ridley has been in every Smash game (with the exception of 3DS, where he exists in leftover files only). Explaining choices as pure "bias" is taking the easy way out. It can probably be best explained by perception of the series. Mario and Pokemon are heavily loved series, so they get a lot of reps. Sakurai has become the step-daddy of the Fire Emblem series, and is very close with IS. But in reality Lucina, and Roy can be explained by last minute additions to the roster. There's a lot more that goes into character selection than liking the character.

If you send me something, I'll be happy to give constructive criticism! It's basically what I do 60% of the time, as I have a ton of other writers involved with Source Gaming.

Chrono.

So...it took a little more than 30 minutes. Sorry about that, had to correct that translation error :3.

Here's the interview with @gameonion and Nibroc!

The people responsible for creating this:

It should give us some insight on why people create fake leaks.

Let me know how you feel about the interview format. I have another interview lined up, so comments and suggestions are highly appreciated.
So the leak was basically rushed? That explains a few things...

Still an impressive attempt, fooled a lot of us. Makes me wonder how it would've turned out if they had taken their time.

Last edited:

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
I just found this interesting Smash theory:
This theory suggests that the Smash Bros. games are all in the mind of an autistic child.
I prefer the theory that all of the Nintendo universes exist within their own "bubble." These bubbles float around on their own within subspace, occasionally passing through each other. When this happens, portals can emerge between the two universes, allowing for cross-overs.

Super Smash Bros. is a tournament that is held once every few years, when 90% of the bubbles intersect. Some bubbles are smaller than others and are much more likely to miss out, but the big ones are almost always present.

Ties in nicely with SSE as well.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I prefer the theory that all of the Nintendo universes exist within their own "bubble." These bubbles float around on their own within subspace, occasionally passing through each other. When this happens, portals can emerge between the two universes, allowing for cross-overs.

Super Smash Bros. is a tournament that is held once every few years, when 90% of the bubbles intersect. Some bubbles are smaller than others and are much more likely to miss out, but the big ones are almost always present.

Ties in nicely with SSE as well.
I like the idea of all the Nintendo universes coexisting with one another and having the big smash tournament every few years.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Honest question, do people actually want Goku or Shrek in Smash Bros.? Why?

I have a hard time understanding why people even want characters from non-Nintendo games that don't meet the Sakurai standard. It's a Nintendo crossover game. Sure, there are some wonderful games out there not made by them, but that's not really relevant to what Smash is.
Shrek is a meme. Not just in the Smash community, but on the internet as a whole. Nobody is serious about his inclusion, it's all a joke.

Goku is a joke as well, but there are genuine supporters. That's how it started; it's to mock people who actually would put Goku and other anime characters on their wishlists and mean it with genuine sincerity (mostly younger players or more casual Smash fans who don't really understand the requirements for characters). I'd say his support is 90% meme based, 10% legit (in contrast to Shrek, who's 100% meme based).

Yeah Etika was late as hell to the punch with this one. Odd by his standards =P
Etika is the same guy who made a video reporting about the Ridley shadow theories four months after the Smash Direct that spawned them aired, and acted as though it was a huge scoop he was breaking that nobody knew about.

He's always either late as hell or rushes videos out, doing minimal research regardless of which one it is.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Shrek is a meme. Not just in the Smash community, but on the internet as a whole. Nobody is serious about his inclusion, it's all a joke.

Goku is a joke as well, but there are genuine supporters. That's how it started; it's to mock people who actually would put Goku and other anime characters on their wishlists and mean it with genuine sincerity (mostly younger players or more casual Smash fans who don't really understand the requirements for characters). I'd say his support is 90% meme based, 10% legit (in contrast to Shrek, who's 100% meme based).

Etika is the same guy who made a report about the Ridley shadow theories four months after the Smash Direct that spawned them aired.

He's always either late as hell or rushes videos out, doing minimal research regardless of which one it is.
You say that, and yet, somewhere out there in this great big world of ours... SOMEONE... SOMEBODY ONCE TOLD ME THE WORLD WAS GONNA

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I'm probably the only guy in the world who finds the Shrek meme unfunny as all hell.

If you got beef with that, sue me. Its just as bad as most memes

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion

Etika is the same guy who made a video reporting about the Ridley shadow theories four months after the Smash Direct that spawned them aired, and acted as though it was a huge scoop he was breaking that nobody knew about.

Etika is like your bird call.You apppear everytime one of his video is dropped

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
I just want to let everyone know that the tourney currently has 16/50 participants, which means there are 34 open slots if people still want to sign up.

Also...

I'm officially drawing Luigi more often, right after I draw a birthday picture for Sakurai.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I'm probably the only guy in the world who finds the Shrek meme unfunny as all hell.

If you got beef with that, sue me. Its just as bad as most memes
Oh I don't disagree in the slightest. But I do love to rustle some jimmies.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Banjo disappeared and then came back another syatem with a game that has essentially ben disowned by the fanbase (as much as i like the game) qnd the series died but is now getting a spiritual sucessor.

Crash went from developer to developer with worse and worse games up until and including some horrible games with mutants.

Personally, i think crash had it worse because he used to be so big but just kept being dragged through thd mud unlike vanjo which wad quick. His name has been tarnished and was disowned by their creators, naughty dog*. i see no succesor in the future either

*citation needed
oh that sucks... there is not even a spirtual successor!?

D

Deleted member

oh that sucks... there is not even a spirtual successor!?
The closest there is to a spiritual successor happens to be a PS4 launch title called Knack and directed by Mark Cerny of Crash fame, but opinions on that game are mixed.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Someone turned that leaked doctor mario stage in to a project m stage.Awesome if i can say so myself

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Someone turned that leaked doctor mario stage in to a project m stage.Awesome if i can say so myself
yeah Nibroc gave all the renders he made for the "leak" to the modder.

I don't really care for the animation, but it's a cool concept.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I just realized.

Remember when Sakurai said that Lucas and Roy were popular characters from Melee and Brawl respectively?

What if the reason was because he's looking for characters in certain categories?

For example...

Overall popular character: :4mewtwo:(plus that he's a veteran)
Brawl veteran::4lucas:
Melee veteran: :4feroy:
Third Party Character: :4ryu:

What if the remaining ballot characters were simply going to be chosen from a certain type that they are looking for?

For example, let's say that they're interested in...

Zelda Character: Impa
New Series: Isaac
Retro Character: Lip
Another Overall Popular Character: Wolf

Am I on to something here or?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I just realized.

Remember when Sakurai said that Lucas and Roy were popular characters from Melee and Brawl respectively?

What if the reason was because he's looking for characters in certain categories?

For example...

What if the remaining ballot characters were simply going to be chosen from a certain type that they are looking for?

If you go by that category. I suppose you can also look at which characters are popular with the male and female demographic since the ballot asks for your gender but I'm not sure really.....

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If you go by that category. I suppose you can also look at which characters are popular with the male and female demographic since the ballot asks for your gender but I'm not sure really.....
That may be what they're going for!

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I just realized.

For example...

Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy and Ryu being selected because they fit into categories is something that I deeply believe in. Look at the way Sakurai introduced them in the "New Content Direct".

It's possible that we'll get a "Western choice" and a "Japanese choice" character.

Male and Female choice characters are less likely, as Smash is overwhelming a sausage fest.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy and Ryu being selected because they fit into categories is something that I deeply believe in. Look at the way Sakurai introduced them in the "New Content Direct".

It's possible that we'll get a "Western choice" and a "Japanese choice" character.

Male and Female choice characters are less likely, as Smash is overwhelming a sausage fest.
So... Daisy incoming for female audience rep?

I've been thinking about the East vs. West thing is possible too. Isaac would be a good fit for that since he's almost exclusively popular outside of Japan. Who is the opposite of that though, popular in Japan but not outside of it. ...Krystal?

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Would you want two unique characters or four semi-clones? Let's say the semis are at least Smash 4 Marth/Roy levels of different. And which characters would you want?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom