• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I'm probably the only person that was indifferent to the Mega Man reveal and was only excited because he was new.

Pac-Man had all of my hype this round. :4pacman:
Was a glorious night (well, at least for me was after midnight); I literally screamed =P.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Robin was really hype, but Lucina dragged down what would have been a wonderful death of Chrom.
I'm not sure what you mean by that, but Lucina was my most wanted newcomer by a large margin, so it was super exciting for me. I was at work at the time the trailer released, and I literally had to walk out. I took lunch early and went and freaked out in my car by myself, haha. Sitting in the Wendy's parking lot eatin' some nuggs.

Robin is cool, but he/she is not a real character to me, and I'm glad there's a female alt, but compared to Villager, Robin got the short end of the stick in terms of palette swaps.

Last edited:

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
My most hyped E3 memory was definitely Super Mario 3D World's initial trailer, but Pac-Man's reveal was a close second.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
E3 HYPE! I've actually drank about 5 shots of Vodka + Maple Water. I've got a big interview tomorrow so I'm trying to relax.

I guess no matter what happens, I have Sunday to look forward to! I think I might actually be more hyped for Roy than Ryu. I really want to see how his return is handled.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
E3 HYPE! I've actually drank about 5 shots of Vodka + Maple Water. I've got a big interview tomorrow so I'm trying to relax.

I guess no matter what happens, I have Sunday to look forward to! I think I might actually be more hyped for Roy than Ryu. I really want to see how his return is handled.
Well don't be hungover for your interview!

Soul.

You know, I'm honestly looking forward to seeing what do they do when it comes to the 3DS version. It should get one or two stages at the very least---wasn't Dream Land 64 found in the files?

Last edited:

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
I should start commenting on a more frequent basis. Otherwise, I'm practically a wandering ghost in this thread.

I'm probably the only person that was indifferent to the Mega Man reveal and was only excited because he was new.
Likewise. I speak for myself, but my earliest childhood gaming experiences were on the N64 rather than the NES/SNES, so I identified more with the likes of Banjo and Kazooie than Mega Man. I fully recognize his legendary status, I just don't have a personal connection to him.
Pac-Man had all of my hype this round. :4pacman:
While the circumstances were unusual, Pac-Man's trailer was nonetheless an adrenaline shot through my veins, I was pumped. Seriously, even when the video was released hours after the initial announcement, just hearing those journalists lose their collective crap over a piece of a yellow circle getting cut like a piece of pie was... spectacular. It was surreal.

It was such a sense of schadenfreude, too, since there was a vocal minority of loudmouths who consistently antagonized the Pac-Man support thread, only to finally shut up after the reveal. I'm dead serious when one of the actual counter-arguments against his inclusion was "He isn't iconic enough anymore" (if memory serves me correctly).

If only I was there firsthand for the once-in-a-lifetime Snake/Sonic reveals. That must have been breathtakingly unbelievable.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Well don't be hungover for your interview!
Naw, I know when to stop. I've already put the bottle away and am currently hydrating with a bottle of water and am about to make some food.

I actually don't drink very often to be honest, but I'm pretty good at stopping before I get sick when I do.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
You know, I'm honestly looking forward to seeing what do they do when it comes to the 3DS version. It should get one or two stages at the very least---wasn't Dream Land 64 found in the files?
Two Kirby music tracks, including the Dream Land 64 theme, were found in the 3DS version's files.

It's a pretty safe assumption that the stage will be Dream Land 64, but it's not set in stone or anything. For all we know, it could be a different Kirby stage that's just using the music from it. Don't forget that Jungle Japes on the 3DS uses the N64 Kongo Jungle and Rocketbarrel music rather than the actual Jungle Japes theme from Melee.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Two Kirby music tracks, including the Dream Land 64 theme, were found in the 3DS version's files.

It's a pretty safe assumption that the stage will be Dream Land 64, but it's not set in stone or anything. For all we know, it could be a different Kirby stage that's just using the music from it. Don't forget that Jungle Japes on the 3DS uses the N64 Kongo Jungle and Rocketbarrel music rather than the actual Jungle Japes theme from Melee.
I'm most interested in stage DLC announcements, honestly.

Stages are dynamic elements which can change the way a match is played in Smash.... I would say that stage DLC for Smash is probably closer to stage DLC in a racing game or fps than it is to stage DLC in a traditional fighting game.

I wonder if Miiverse will be a straight Battle Field clone or not. I hope the platforms are some what dynamic (like Fountain of Dreams.)

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
:4pacman: was probably the most hype reveal for me.

Not just because he was one of my most wanted characters.
But also because it meant he was in the same game with :4mario:,:4sonic: and :4megaman:. Seeing all 4 of them together meant a lot to me.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
:4pacman: was probably the most hype reveal for me.

Not just because he was one of my most wanted characters.
But also because it meant he was in the same game with :4mario:,:4sonic: and :4megaman:. Seeing all 4 of them together meant a lot to me.
Loved Shulk, but I would have honestly loved him more if the ESRB leak (and Gematsu to a lesser extent) never happened.

Little Mac was pretty hype.... Robin was also great since we were all expecting Chrom.

AreJay25

Loved Shulk, but I would have honestly loved him more if the ESRB leak (and Gematsu to a lesser extent) never happened.

Little Mac was pretty hype.... Robin was also great since we were all expecting Chrom.
Mac was a close second. That trailer was phenomenal.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
My only issue with Mac's is that it was too obvious. It started with the "Smash cross" and immediately went into Punch-Out!!! music with shots of someone boxing.

It would have been better without the Smash logo, so that (much like Rosalina) it would have been a bit of a surprise.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
My favorite Smash 4 trailer was Shulk and Lucas, Shulk because he was my most wanted and Lucas because Lucas. :p

Hypest trailer ever is probably the Brawl one though, can't count the amount of times I've watched it.

AreJay25

My only issue with Mac's is that it was too obvious. It started with the "Smash cross" and immediately went into Punch-Out!!! music with shots of someone boxing.

It would have been better without the Smash logo, so that (much like Rosalina) it would have been a bit of a surprise.
Now that you mention it, that was a missed opportunity. I remember there being a LOT of buzz for some sort of reveal from Next Level Games that day, so leaving it out would have created a lot of suspense.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'm not sure what you mean by that, but Lucina was my most wanted newcomer by a large margin, so it was super exciting for me. I was at work at the time the trailer released, and I literally had to walk out. I took lunch early and went and freaked out in my car by myself, haha. Sitting in the Wendy's parking lot eatin' some nuggs.

Robin is cool, but he/she is not a real character to me, and I'm glad there's a female alt, but compared to Villager, Robin got the short end of the stick in terms of palette swaps.
Lucina was almost as bad as Chrom would have been to me, but that's just my own opinion (Awakening was my first FE too).

Robin is a character, she was central to the plot. Being an avatar doesn't make her any less of a character than say, Link.
While the circumstances were unusual, Pac-Man's trailer was nonetheless an adrenaline shot through my veins, I was pumped. Seriously, even when the video was released hours after the initial announcement, just hearing those journalists lose their collective crap over a piece of a yellow circle getting cut like a piece of pie was... spectacular. It was surreal.
Pac-Man was the first game I ever played, and he's Pac-Man. I just love his classic arcade vibe too.
Is it bad that Shulk's trailer was the second best for me because I was really feeling it enjoyed his accent? I tried playing as him because of it, ended up loving his playstyle, and I'm only now playing through Xenoblade (which I absolutely love).

Shulk pretty much gave me the same experience I had with Ness in the first Smash, some JRPG character I didn't really know but ended up loving to play as and eventually loved their games as well. And now they both have the highest playcounts.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Villager trailer/ the original E3 character trailer was the hypest. It showed that they were trying to include a lot of new characters. Then right after it we got Megaman and Wii Fit which showed (almost) ANY character was possible. Rosalina and Little Mac are probably my third/fourth, with Lucas being my second.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Characters like Little Mac, Pac-Man, and Palutena weren't really exciting to me. Nothing against them as characters, but they were just really really obvious and so expected, that it was just anti-climactic to me. I fully expected Villager and Mega Man as well, but they get a free pass for having the privilege of being in the debut trailer.

Shulk might've been in the same boat for me had it not been for the ESRB leak, as strange as it sounds. He was basically the new Palutena prior to the ESRB leak. He was on almost every prediction roster and fake leak following Gematsu 2, even after Gematsu was killed by the Robin trailer.

The ESRB leak ended up turning Shulk's trailer into a trojan horse. His confirmation led to the ESRB leak being verified beyond a shadow of a doubt, and indirectly ended up confirming Bowser Jr, Duck Hunt, Dark Pit, Doc, Falco, Wario, Ganondorf, etc. It was pretty huge for that reason alone.

Robin's was one of the biggest for me, too; as stated above, it ended up killing Gematsu, which also ended up saving Smash speculation.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
My overall favorite E3 moments were Bayonetta 2 announcement, Killer Instinct reveal, City Escape confirmed for Sonic Generations and PlayStation All-Star Battle Royale trailer

Sure was

AreJay25

I do wish they would have revealed :4duckhunt: and :4bowserjr: before the game came out. Their trailers would have created so much hype if we didn't know about them.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928

I agree, but I still loved seeing him wash away all doubts I had after ESRB.

Is it bad that Shulk's trailer was the second best for me because I was really feeling it enjoyed his accent? I tried playing as him because of it, ended up loving his playstyle, and I'm only now playing through Xenoblade (which I absolutely love).

Shulk pretty much gave me the same experience I had with Ness in the first Smash, some JRPG character I didn't really know but ended up loving to play as and eventually loved their games as well. And now they both have the highest playcounts.
This is why Smash is great. I think I can speak for every Shulk supporter when I say that it's awesome that more people are exposed to Xenoblade!

Soul.

What hyped me the most was that we were finally getting a handheld Smash, one that was long overdue. And despite the hate (such as ICs) and that people prefer the Wii U version, I'm just glad it exists, and hope it's here to stay.

I guess. I know Jungle Japes plays different music than in Melee. It could be something else.
Though I'd like it more if it were Dream Land 64.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm off to bed. I'll dream of all the leaks and announcments I'm missing. The endless possibilities...

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Characters like Little Mac, Pac-Man, and Palutena weren't really exciting to me. Nothing against them as characters, but they were just really really obvious and so expected, that it was just anti-climactic to me. I fully expected Villager and Mega Man as well, but they get a free pass for having the privileged of being in the debut trailer.

Shulk might've been in the same boat for me had it not been for the ESRB leak, as strange as it sounds. He was basically the new Palutena prior to the ESRB leak. He was on almost every prediction roster and fake leak following Gematsu 2, even after Gematsu was killed by the Robin trailer.

The ESRB leak ended up turning Shulk's trailer into a trojan horse. His confirmation led to the ESRB leak being verified beyond a shadow of a doubt, and indirectly ended up confirming Bowser Jr, Duck Hunt, Dark Pit, Doc, Falco, Wario, Ganondorf, etc. It was pretty huge for that reason alone.

Robin's was one of the biggest for me, too; as stated above, it ended up killing Gematsu, which also ended up saving Smash speculation.
A lot of the hype for me isn't just the character, though. It's how the character is implemented. Little Mac, for example, might have been obvious, but his terrible air game + awesome ground game was really cool to see in action.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I'm off to bed. I'll dream of all the leaks and announcments I'm missing. The endless possibilities...

That reminds me....
Man I had the strangest dream last night. Dreamt that Sakurai requested me as a translator for some talk. I asked him about the origin story of the platforms and he said the floating Islands were created my tree gnomes.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Robin is a character, she was central to the plot. Being an avatar doesn't make her any less of a character than say, Link.
My "Robin" was named Braahm, and he was a Hero class, not a Tactician. He didn't have the same face, hair color, clothing, or even voice as the playable characters in Smash Bros. While I had another save file with a Tactician named Drake and another one with a female avatar named Aryll, they both still looked literally nothing like Robin. Yes, there is a base personality there, and that's "Robin's" character, but to me, the Robin in Smash Bros. didn't exist.

That's what I was going for. I was really disappointed they didn't have at least more face options, even if they didn't vary up the hair. Canonically, the outfit wouldn't change since they're depicting Robin as a Tactician. Though I will admit, the clothing in the pictures of the character/videos doesn't change when they change class.

Regardless, the trailer was super hype, regardless of which character I was hyped about. ;) I like that Robin represents Fire Emblem well overall.. though apparently weapons don't decay anymore. :ohwell:

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
nmy hypest smash 4 trailers would be:
Miis, palutena, robin( cause of setup and effort for them), other then that it would probably go to rosalina, greininjas, or mega mans. All the trailers were just phenomenonal!

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
A lot of the hype for me isn't just the character, though. It's how the character is implemented. Little Mac, for example, might have been obvious, but his terrible air game + awesome ground game was really cool to see in action.

This was one of the reasons i was 100% behind :4robinm:. His moveset was so diverse and interesting where he made every FE character dull. Except for :4myfriends: of course. When hou have a fun moveset and interesting to boot, I'll be behind that character

(See :4wiifit:)

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I remember not seeing the reveal live and instead going to IGN's front page and "Mega Man Joins Smash Bros." being there. I still exploded with hype.
If I had been there...
Trust me, it wasn't anything special.

The stream was so laggy I could barely watch it. It just snapped to Megaman in Smash and I like, "YES! Megaman!"

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
Lucina was almost as bad as Chrom would have been to me, but that's just my own opinion (Awakening was my first FE too).
Heck, I was a huge Chrom supporter. People give that trailer loads of praise, but that was just an incredibly sad day for me. The worst part of it all was seeing people on Youtube saying "They gave us two great characters instead of boring ol' Chrom who would've just been another generic swordsmen" completely ignoring that Lucina is practically the definition of a clone.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
My most hyped E3 memory was definitely Super Mario 3D World's initial trailer, but Pac-Man's reveal was a close second.
I felt really underwhelmed by 3D World's initial trailer. It felt kind of... too just there.

But then the later trailers looked great, and eventually the game came out and it went far away surpassing my expectations, becoming one of the best Mario games ever.

AreJay25

Trust me, it wasn't anything special.

The stream was so laggy I could barely watch it. It just snapped to Megaman in Smash and I like, "YES! Megaman!"
Oh god don't remind me.

I'd like to say the 2013 E3 Direct for the US had some of the worst quality I've seen. It got so bad I had to watch another country's stream.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I do wish they would have revealed :4duckhunt: and :4bowserjr: before the game came out. Their trailers would have created so much hype if we didn't know about them.
Bowser Jr.'s trailer is so good - if the game wasn't out/leak didn't happen, that trailer would've been huge. When the Koopalings all peer down the cliff... so cool.

Jgt044

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wii U: Jgt044
3DS FC
1005-9641-7502
My favorite smash reveal trailer was definitely Sonic's. I still remember screaming my head off and almost waking up the neighbors when I had found out. Gosh it was the biggest hype moment in my entire history of being affiliated with gaming.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
wtf do you guys actually scream during smash reveals? geez i dont even do such... *remembers the mewtwo dlc reveal*... a thing...

oh... erm... >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom