• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I talked to him. He is indeed who he says he is

I can't be much help though, as most of what he had to add is very confidential. At best, it's fake info obtained anyway, at worst it could get someone fired, but I learned of his source. Can't speak on it though but it's very reliable, and there's a proof I was told of that again, I can't speak on

what I can do though is clarify a bit on what he said on Gamefaqs.

• Takamaru had a beta unfinished playable model/asserts. One other character did too
  • Namco and Nintendo have short lists. However only Nintendo's matters.
  • Sakurai and his creative director choose a character from this short list to then create as DLC.
  • While those 4 are on the short list (disregarding the ongoing ballot) that doesn't gurantee any will be made. Only the possibility of being chosen. It's possible others (Wolf being a good example) are on that short list as well
And that's all I can really talk about. I learned some other non Smash related things, as well as the proof of his sources position, but I was sworn to secrecy and I'm not going to betray his trust.

At any rate, in regards to Smash DLC all this confirms is they are possible. At no point did this source state to NR001 if they (or any other DLC) were in development.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Making eight extra low-poly models is waaaay too much work?
Yeah. They have to do debugging even for extra costumes (Source)

I can't be much help though, as most of what he had to add is very confidential. At best, it's fake info obtained anyway, at worst it could get someone fired, but I learned of his source. Can't speak on it though but it's very reliable, and there's a proof I was told of that again, I can't speak on

• Takamaru had a beta unfinished playable model/asserts. One other character did too
  • Sakurai and his creative director choose a character from this short list to then create as DLC.
  • While those 4 are on the short list (disregarding the ongoing ballot) that doesn't gurantee any will be made. Only the possibility of being chosen. It's possible others (Wolf being a good example) are on that short list as well
And that's all I can really talk about. I learned some other non Smash related things, as well as the proof of his sources position, but I was sworn to secrecy and I'm not going to betray his trust.

At any rate, in regards to Smash DLC all this confirms is they are possible. At no point did this source state to NR001 if they (or any other DLC) were in development.
Okay, now I'm excited.

"One other character" - Chrom?

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

I'll stay on my guard; the secrecy is just too suspicious for me.

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Okay, now I'm excited.

Since you guessed it, yes he did say Chrom was the other unfinished char.

Also the short list point, reason I mention it is because Takamaru is on Namcos short list, not Nintendo's currently

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Yeah, but for one or two characters? It can't be that time-consuming.
Is still extra work, and they could have done it with Dedede (or not at all even considering that 64 Dedede bears no resemblance), but they chose to have him not appear when fighter Dedede is in play. That same thing will happen if ATs become playable.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

Okay, now I'm excited.

Probably Chrom or either Wolf.

Yeah, but for one or two characters? It can't be that time-consuming.
Considering that PotD last year with :4zss: last 2 alts only took about a full work day, then it's not too hard put it takes time though. Although some of it doesn't make sense like :4littlemac: having 16 while :4wario: only has 8 when he had more than that in Brawl and not giving extra alts to :4olimar::4robinm:&:4wiifit:. And then there's another stratosphere of that situation with :4bowserjr:

Neo Zero

All I know concerning the short lists is like I said, Nintendo chooses who they want/are ok seeing, then the team picks characters from that to make DLC. The 4 he mentioned are the only 4 on Nintendo's short list he was told, and they're from the short list from before the ballot.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
All I know concerning the short lists is like I said, Nintendo chooses who they want/are ok seeing, then the team picks characters from that to make DLC. The 4 he mentioned are the only 4 on Nintendo's short list he was told, and they're from the short list from before the ballot.
So Chibi-Robo and Paper Mario are being considered?

I'd be hype, but...
I'll stay on my guard; the secrecy is just too suspicious for me.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

Interesting....

I'm kind of on the edge on this one.

I initially dismissed it, but it definitely piqued my interest when he said he was the ESRB leaker.

and now that we essentially have confirmation that it is, I don't know what to think tbh, other than I'm 50/50 on this whole thing.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
so using base logic if this info is true(it could very well not be)
they will release at least 1 more character pre ballot 2 if we go by the 5 marios thing

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Alright, something is up and it confuses me and to some it might not but this bothers me as a whole

Alright, we have 4 already decided pre-ballot choices
:4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy::4ryu:
That's fine and I like them all

Now there are also 4 other pre-ballot choices considered like K. Rool and even Waluigi who is already an AT.
Paper Mario and Chibi Robo are fine, I don't mind them but Waluigi straight up made believe that this was fake because

• He's an Assist Trophy. He's already in the game by this point and shouldn't be considered otherwise
  • If that was ignored and ATs can get the Little Mac promotion then Takamaru should have been something of major consideration for Sakurai and not just something from Namco, remember Sakurai and his team usually has the final say on who gets in or not
  • If K. Rool was already pre-ballot then what's up with the current ballot and why would I believe that he was considered pre-ballot NOW.
Maybe it's skepticism but damn it, something is up and I'm not gonna let it go until we get more info

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
So Assist Trophies could possibly become playable.
And the one I want out the most is on that list.
WAH-Hoo.
Oh this is wonderful they aren't trapped inside the thing that helped them get in the game :D

I'm a little skeptical about that guy.

If true, does that mean the same character can be playable and be an Assist Trophy at the same time?

Seems odd in regards to gameplay. What if, say, Waluigi summons Waluigi? Or are they planning so that when a character is in battle, the Assist Trophy may never appear?

The way the game is designed, it rubs me the wrong way to see an Assist Trophy becoming a character through DLC.
You know Waluigi is just that wacky and Crazy. I think it could work seeing him twice on one screen.
Plus the Wah-ing would be tremendous.

Neo Zero

Just because Waluigi is on the short list doesn't mean much. Ultimately if Sakurai doesn't want him, then he's not getting in.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
@NeoZero: I know you're sworn to secrecy, but did he mention anything interesting at all like any unnannounced titles? (I'm not asking what they are , I'm just wondering if he mentioned any XD.)

Last edited:

Neo Zero

It's better I don't say either way. All I said is all I plan to clarify.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
The next DLC is going to be a really big one.
We don't know anything about it or what it contains bar two stages and Tournament mode (Nearly one year after it's reveal :p )
But I really want the team to take a break. I know they probably have a steady momentum going if they don't stop. But Even if it's two weeks over Christmas they deserve a break.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
No sense in turning on each other, especially when it pertains to Mr. Iwata. I can guarantee you that's certainly not what he would have wanted.

Both sides have merit and we should respect that. I would love to see Balloon Fighter make it into Smash at some point, but to do it immediately after (and as a result of) someone's death does not seem appropriate. I'd like to see Balloon Fighter added as a special tribute/surprise retro character in the next Smash Bros, though. To quickly rush to include him as DLC does not seem like it would quite embody the tribute it deserves to be.
I'd like to see Sakurai make Smash NX, or Smash 6, as a tribute to Iwata.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Depends on how much bigger the install base is. If the wii u owner/bayonetta buyer ratio remained relatively consistent (or even lower), then as the install base increases so does the likelyhood of a Bayonetta game being sold. Eventually it could become profitable. A lot of wii games only sold to a small portion of the install base, but did well because that small portion was still pretty big.

I'm not saying it's causation, though. It could have simply been chance. But there is a correlation between the number of potential customers (the install base in this case) and the number of actual customers.

It's like those email scams. The vast majority of people who get them dont fall for it, but there's enough falling for it to make the practice profitable. It wouldn't be as profitable a practice if they only targeted colleges.
The original game was not deemed profitable enough for a sequel and it was released as a multiplatform title with a massive combined install base. Expecting Bayonetta 2 to ever turn a significant profit seems like an unrealistic notion.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Not really considering Toad is literally just an NPC who hands out power ups and gives the 'Sorry but our Princess is in another castle'. So he's not really all that important to the Mario series as whole, him not being from the Mario spin-offs; that is very odd. Him not being playable in Super Smash Bros. is pretty par for the course for any minor NPC character in any series. And remember something, you can remove Toad from the Mario games, mushroom houses would pretty much just be a place to gain free power ups, and you only really need the scene where Mario finds Peach, so he pretty much is the most expendable Mario character.
Luigi is more expendable. If we are taking Captain Toad out of the picture, then so is Luigi's Mansion. Thus, Luigi offers nothing more than story, similar to Toad. I'd argue Toad is a lot more distibdr from other characters than Luigi is from them.

I just wanna know where did all these fans come from.I have no problem with people wanting balloon fighter and i'm 100% sure that sakurai can make a him a unique fighter.But i think people are supporting him for the wrong reasons and that's what i'm agaisnt
Back on neoboards in my prebrawl days, I wanted 7 characters. Or rather. Thought them the next best before learning the roster was done.
K rool, Krystal, Ridley, Toad, Isaac, Tom Nook, Balloon Fighter.

I'd gotten much smarter by Sm4sh.

I absolutely know Nintendo games much better now.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
The short list seems reasonable, although I'm not a Waluigi fan. I wonder if the poll results could actually sway opinion for a character like Isaac.

Also, if I actually thought that Assists were still a viable option, I would have been campaigning hard for Takamaru.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Not really considering Toad is literally just an NPC who hands out power ups and gives the 'Sorry but our Princess is in another castle'. So he's not really all that important to the Mario series as whole, him not being from the Mario spin-offs; that is very odd. Him not being playable in Super Smash Bros. is pretty par for the course for any minor NPC character in any series. And remember something, you can remove Toad from the Mario games, mushroom houses would pretty much just be a place to gain free power ups, and you only really need the scene where Mario finds Peach, so he pretty much is the most expendable Mario character.
Luigi is more expendable. If we are taking Captain Toad out of the picture, then so is Luigi's Mansion. Thus, Luigi offers nothing more than story, similar to Toad. I'd argue Toad is a lot more distibdr from other characters than Luigi is from them.

I just wanna know where did all these fans come from.I have no problem with people wanting balloon fighter and i'm 100% sure that sakurai can make a him a unique fighter.But i think people are supporting him for the wrong reasons and that's what i'm agaisnt
Back on neoboards in my prebrawl days, I wanted 7 characters. Or rather. Thought them the next best before learning the roster was done.
K rool, Krystal, Ridley, Toad, Isaac, Tom Nook, Balloon Fighter.

I'd gotten much smarter by Sm4sh.

I absolutely know Nintendo games much better now.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
So that Gamefaqs leak actually has some legitimacy.

WTF. Things just got a lot more interesting...

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I'm going to remain skeptical. Keep in mind that even "verified" information can still be incorrect.

Lest we forget the "there's still characters left" statement from a week or so before the game came out in Japan.

Last edited:

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
The short list seems reasonable, although I'm not a Waluigi fan. I wonder if the poll results could actually sway opinion for a character like Isaac.

Also, if I actually thought that Assists were still a viable option, I would have been campaigning hard for Takamaru.
I'm really hoping for this. Isaac is my most wanted ballot character. Takamaru is, I feel, the most obvious newcomer for this roster that didn't make it. I would be very pleased if they added either of them.

If we really do get an Assist Trophy character made into DLC, I would feel pretty good about it. I've been saying this whole time I felt it was a possibility since DLC is add-on content and we know it's decided after the game was 100% completed. No one else seemed to agree with me much. All that said though, I do understand why it would be an unpopular opinion.

I don't want Waluigi. I would get why Nintendo would want it though, because I'm sure he would sell well. It doesn't matter though, I'd buy him.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I like this leak because it proves that if they want, they won't give a **** about whether or not the character is an assist.
What they put in the base game should in no way affect or restrict DLC

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I like this leak because it proves that if they want, they won't give a **** about whether or not the character is an assist.
What they put in the base game should in no way affect or restrict DLC
Considering that it might not even be true, it doesn't "prove" anything.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
@ Neo Zero Neo Zero Fixing that tag for you :p
Thank you! My 3DS browser sucks :p.
It's better I don't say either way. All I said is all I plan to clarify.
Alright , I understand. We don't want a huge massive scale leak like last time. It kind of makes me wonder, if we're studying the pattern of past leaks maybe we'll get leaked screenshots of the DLC characters in August. Time to tell Etika about this :troll:.
I seriously won't tell Etika about this. I feel a little misinformation about this XD.

Last edited:

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
I just hope somebody has a Zelda character on one of their short lists.
That isn't Impa or Tingle.
Its Navi isn't it?:troll:

Not really since Luigi is the concept for multiplayer in main Mario games. And Toad isn't really needed for the Toad houses or line delivery in Super Mario Bros 1, all they really do is give the power-up spots some personality.

Can someone please tell me what the gamefaqs post said? I can't access the site for some reason.

Last edited:
@ Neo Zero Neo Zero will there be any issues if I tell other people about this in other threads or are you hoping to keep this more centralized to here for secrecy's sake?

I would like to at least tell the chrom/takamaru threads about it even if I dont exactly believe it yet but getting on someone's bad side isnt exactly one of my goals. :p
Its Navi isn't it?

Not really since Luigi is the concept for multiplayer in main Mario games. And Toad isn't really needed for the Toad houses or line delivery in Super Mario Bros 1, all they really do is give the power-up spots some personality.

Can someone please tell me what the gamefaqs post said? I can't access the site for some reason.
Hey folks, felt like sharing a little bit of info I got a while back, wanted to hold off until I got some confirmation.

As many may have guessed, it is Nintendo who decides who gets in as DLC, somewhat.
Nintendo have shortlisted around 15-20 characters from the ballot and given the proposed characters to Namco's Smash team, which currently consists of around 25 full time members and several staff members who work concurrently on different projects.

Takamaru is still up for debate after seeing fan reactions to him from Western fans, how this will work with his Assist trophy seems unclear, but it does raise questions regarding other ATs

Zelda Musou/Hyrule Warriors has been discussed at Namco.

New Modes are in development (I got this info around March/April, could just be Tournament mode)

Of the characters I know Nintendo have short-listed (on-going until October presumably)
-Waluigi
-K. Rool
-Paper Mario
-Chibi Robo

My source wants to remain anonymous.
So, how do I add any credibility to my claims?
Well, I was involved in the ESRB leak, take that as you will.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
So that means Ridley can be a char- *shot* :troll:
With the amount of work they put into Ryu, I feel like they could make Ridley work.

I know that's not an accurate comparison in the slightest, just that they put a lot of thought and effort into Ryu that if they applied that to Ridley he would be possible.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Its Navi isn't it?

You havnt made a point for Luigi as a character. That makes him as unnecessary as Toad. And still less unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom