• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Am I the only one that believes that:

1.) Preballot DLC is over

2.) Ballot DLC based off of preliminary results is already being worked on, meaning that we will likely see a new character reveal in the coming months.

3.) The final ballot character will not announced until October.
No, I think this makes sense. I think it's possible that wave 3 has a planned character, but I'm starting to conclude it doesn't. The ballot started on April 1st, and wave 2 DLC wasn't released until June. That's a 2-month overlap that they were already working on things that they could've let results tally up. Honestly, the primary voting period for most fans was probably the first 2 months.

The most likely thing, IMO, is Sakurai possibly planning a character he thought was popular and having the poll validate that popularity.

Burb

The Absolute Worst

2.) Ballot DLC based off of preliminary results is already being worked on, meaning that we will likely see a new character reveal in the coming months.

http://smashboards.com/threads/nint...beat-earthbound.405399/page-351#post-19614375

Read the posts following this one.

You're far from the only person who thinks pre-ballot DLC is over.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

I don't believe anything either way as we have minimal evidence to support either theory.

Frankly even if the pre-ballot is over, does it matter? Most veterans are likely to do well in the ballot so the only difference it really makes is for potential newcomers. And even then, Sakurai generally has a pretty good idea of what we want, with or without the ballot.

I just think people greatly over estimate the value that the ballot really has tbh.

I'll gladly eat my words if I turn out to be wrong on this though.

Last edited:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
...You know, Layton is prob the only modern third party I am 100% fine with getting in Smash.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I don't believe anything either way as we have minimal evidence to support either theory.

Frankly even if the pre-ballot is over, does it matter? Most veterans are likely to do well in the ballot so the only difference it really makes is for potential newcomers. And even then, Sakurai generally has a pretty good idea of what we want, with or without the ballot.

I just think people greatly over estimate the value that the ballot really has tbh.

If we get Shovel Knight, Shantae, Bayonetta or possibly even Wonder Red (though he's in a different category) next, I think we know it's based on the ballot.

Otherwise, I agree, it's hard to tell. Most of the popular characters were popular before the ballot came out. It's only once it did come out that people started realizing that random underdogs could have a shot if people voted for them, and western culture loves to see a dark horse candidate take the win. At least, American culture certainly does.

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158

You can't get away with just eating your words pal. You know what you'll have to eat.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Given that veteran DLC could very well be finished and 3/4 of the currently released characters are veterans, it's entirely possible that the ballot will focus on newcomers.

In fact, if there is truly only two left, I'd expect them both to be newcomers.

The bigger point is that most people that believe preballot DLC do not believe that we will see any characters soon, or if they do they believe that no characters will be revealed in October.
I have no real prediction for the timeframe in which the DLC will be released.

At this point, all I can say I truly believe are that the pre-ballot DLC is done, August's update probably won't have any characters, none of the remaining characters will be third party, and if there's only 2 left, they'll both be newcomers.

Last edited:

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Given that veteran DLC could very well be finished and 3/4 of the currently released characters are veterans, it's entirely possible that the ballot will focus on newcomers.

I agree with this. It's true that people like things they're more familiar with, aka veteran characters, but we already have most of our DLC as that and have yet to get a Nintendo newcomer. There's a fine line Sakurai is wary of about offering too many vets as DLC characters.

I want Wolf, and I think him and Snake could probably get away with rejoining Smash, but only if there's more DLC than we expect.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't even care who we get next, as long as it's a 1st party newcomer

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

I dunno man. From what I can gather, signs do point to Wolf being basically joint #1 most requested character right now (most polls place either him K. Rool or Banjo first), and there are arguably 1 or 2 other veterans that aren't far off K. Rool. I can't imagine Sakurai would say "well, Wolf is the most requested character but he's a veteran so he can piss off". Fan service is fan service after all. If he really is done with pre-ballot DLC, and if he purposely only chose Roy and Lucas because they were Melee and Brawl cuts, I don't think that would restrict veterans being added through the ballot. Unless of course he specifically only wants to make newcomers now. But we have no evidence that this is the case so that's just complete conjecture.

If we get Shovel Knight, Shantae, Bayonetta or possibly even Wonder Red (though he's in a different category) next, I think we know it's based on the ballot.

Otherwise, I agree, it's hard to tell. Most of the popular characters were popular before the ballot came out. It's only once it did come out that people started realizing that random underdogs could have a shot if people voted for them, and western culture loves to see a dark horse candidate take the win. At least, American culture certainly does.
I still doubt they'll ever put in characters that they wouldn't be willing to use outside of the ballot. So I think it will be hard to tell either way. There are only a very small handful of 3rd Parties that I think could get in, with or without the ballot.

Banjo is the only character I think that could get me convinced that they really did listen and put 100% faith on the ballot's results. As like I previously said, he frequently ranks at the top, and it would be like they thought it was worth going through the legal hassle to add him because he's ranked so high on the ballot.

...You know, Layton is prob the only modern third party I am 100% fine with getting in Smash.
Depends on who you consider modern. Banjo-Kazooie are fairly modern as they're half a decade younger than the youngest 3rd Party character so far.

Plus I'd be totally lying if I didn't say that part of me would kill to have Yooka-Laylee in this. As hypocritical as that makes me.

Last edited:

Naoshi

Depends on who you consider modern. Banjo-Kazooie are fairly modern as they're half a decade younger than the youngest 3rd Party character so far.
Banjo Kazooie I consider classic by now, if not a midpoint between classic and modern.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
image.jpg

I forgot how cool Takami is.

Also @ AreJay25 AreJay25 your :4pacman: is no longer a God. He's a False Pac

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's been quite quiet around here today.
Also, I need help with something
Uhh... I need anime recommendations :nervous:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
The Devil is a Part Timer
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo
Full Metal Alchemist

That's all the anime I've watched besides Pokemon.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I hope that if K. Rool ever does get added that they give him all unique costumes instead of alternate colours. It's such a huge part of his character personality. There are 6 costumes he's had in canon so far, maybe they could make up the last 2 and base them on the Tiki Tribe and Snowmads. I think that would be really appropriate.

Naoshi

Anime was a mistake, it's nothing but trash.

Gungrave, Bobobo, Toriko, Nichijou, Afro Samurai, Cromartie High are some I recommend. There's some more I've left out but these are my recommendations atm.
Most anime is still trash tho :^)

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I hope that if K. Rool ever does get added that they give him all unique costumes instead of alternate colours. It's such a huge part of his character personality. There are 6 costumes he's had in canon so far, maybe they could make up the last 2 and base them on the Tiki Tribe and Snowmads. I think that would be really appropriate.

I like the idea of K. Rool being a stance change character. Like, he can switch between different movesets based on his alter egos. Only problem is that it could end up being a lot of work.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
*cough* Fairy tail *cough* but in all seriousness Fairy tail,soul eater,gurren lagann,Samurai champloo,deadman wonderland,Akame ga kill,and Kill la kill are all good anime in my book

Naoshi

Samurai Champloo is pretty good, I forgot to mention that.

KLK was okay

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I like the idea of K. Rool being a stance change character. Like, he can switch between different movesets based on his alter egos. Only problem is that it could end up being a lot of work.
I'd settle for the costumes. It would be cool like being in his pilot gear and pulling out the blunderbuss he uses as Kaptain. Or using his Baron Von Roolenstein flying machine as regular King K. Rool.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I'm actually trying out Psycho Pass and finishing Rosario + Vampire.

I really need to finish FMA Brotheehood but I got burned out from finishing the first series

Anime was a mistake, it's nothing but trash.

Gungrave, Bobobo, Toriko, Nichijou, Afro Samurai, Cromartie High are some I recommend. There's some more I've left out but these are my recommendations atm.
Most anime is still trash tho :^)
And what Western Cartoons are somewhat better

It either leans towards the lolsorandom audience or the hipster Tumblr crowd

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
so @ Burb Burb i've noticed in your sig that if wolf get confirmed before october you will vote for whoever we want? though i'm in the same boat as you, as i find wolf to be highly unlikely as a pre-ballot character, if he does get confirmed before october, i dare you to vote for Ridley. LOL!

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think the video game rule would apply to James Bond purely because the Goldeneye game was so massive in its own right. I would think that Sakurai would consider any 3rd Party character as long as their games have had enough impact, like Goldeneye did.
I think we don't have real people thanks to James Bond; he helped Sakurai mandate the necessary rule.

Last edited:

Naoshi

I'm actually trying out Psycho Pass and finishing Rosario + Vampire.

I really need to finish FMA Brotheehood but I got burned out from finishing the first series

And what Western Cartoons are somewhat better

It either leans towards the lolsorandom audience or the hipster Tumblr crowd
What does western cartoons have to do with anything? I was barely serious even though I do have somewhat a negative opinion on anime

no need to get defensive over something so silly :laugh:

On a side note, yeah, western cartoons has really went downhill for quite a while, but it's been improving as of late afaik, I've been meaning to watch Gravity Falls and Steven Universe.

Both KLK and gurren lagann are anime you watch if you wanna see **** explode if you care for story there both gonna disapponit
I enjoyed it for a while, but the fanservice started to become grating but the humor the show had for the most part was great.

Have yet to seen Gurren Lagann but I've heard good about it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I really think with Snake, it wasn't just Kojima's/ Konami issues. It was either an issue with Nintendo and Konami (which is unlikely because Megaman and Nintendo is older than 12), or its because of a fundamental design clash. Smash for 3DS and Wii U uses brighter colors while Brawl used realistic ones. Furthermore. It might be difficult to imagine Snake choking a dog, or the Villager.
This is based on the fact that Kojima said Sakurai never asked him.
:4ness::4lucas:

Snake had no problem choking children back in Brawl. I highly doubt it'll be a problem now. As for color scheme, are we seriously inclined to believe that a game using brighter colors means a character can't come in?
The side I go with is always the side that has more evidence backing it.

While neither side has anything concrete, there's more on the side of pre-ballot character DLC being finished. The word of the developer and the data that's been uncovered is stronger evidence than theories and "I want this to happen". That's why I'm on the side I'm on.

Honestly, I think August is the point where we'll know for sure. Given that the ballot closes in October, I don't think we'll be getting anything major in September, so August's Tourney update is more than likely to be the last opportunity to add any more before the ballot's end.
I think if we see any character in August, it won't be a pre-ballot character, but rather an early ballot character choice.
Did Sakurai and Co. ever say they were going to make the most voted for characters in the ballot? For all we know, he and his team could instead make characters that are well voted for, as well as unique with their moveset and such.
I don't think he said that but I strongly believe the most wanted character will get picked (thought I say that because I don't think anyone that Sakurai considers unfeasbile from a licensing or fitting in standpoint will top the poll).
That said, while I don't think they should be considering him all-but-confirmed, I do think the ballot is K. Rool's best chance of getting in Smash. He was a long shot for the main game and was never really all that likely, but the ballot is providing him with a real opportunity. It's the only stage of development where he's got an inarguable advantage over Dixie in.

On the other hand, it's very much a make-or-break situation in my mind. If he fails to get in now and doesn't return in any future DK game between now and the inevitable next Smash, we might never see him get a chance.
Even if King K. Rool doesn't get in this game as DLC, I strongly believe that he will be in Smash 5 anyway. That's because I am very confident he is going to return in the next major DK game and if/when that happens, that will put him on a level above that of every other potential character.

I agree with #1, partially agree with #2 (in that ballot characters are already being worked on), but I don't agree with #3. I don't expect (although wouldn't be surprised otherwise) we are getting a character in August as that in itself will be a big update and we just got three characters last month. Come October, Nintendo will want something to show for themselves and there they will begin to reveal our ballot choices. I have no idea when it will end thought; depends on how many we get.

And before people say "why wait?", keep in mind Roy and Ryu were supposed to be confirmed on the same day they got released, not earlier. Similar things could happen with ballot choices.

D

Deleted member

I guess I'll just watch 'The Devil is a Part Timer' since I remember watching the first episode with my friends
Both KLK and gurren lagann are anime you watch if you wanna see **** explode if you care for story there both gonna disapponit
Excuse me?
Also, a summary of Gurren Lagan for those who didn't watch it

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
http://smashboards.com/threads/nint...beat-earthbound.405399/page-351#post-19614375

Read the posts following this one.

You're far from the only person who thinks pre-ballot DLC is over.
Someone say something pessimistic? Cue @ Burb Burb with a source.

I'm torn. I think the only way is believe pre DLC is officially done is owe get no,more veterans. I won't believe any veteran is the votes character, for even if it is true,that is not an image Sakurai can comingle with public acceptance that DLC is not cut content, I'm not even sure ROY truly was predetermined.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Even if King K. Rool doesn't get in this game as DLC, I strongly believe that he will be in Smash 5 anyway. That's because I am very confident he is going to return in the next major DK game and if/when that happens, that will put him on a level above that of every other potential character.
Note that I specifically said "if he doesn't return to the DK series".

It's an "if" regardless of your confidence level. I saw plenty of people who thought for sure he'd be back in Tropical Freeze, and we got a walrus expy instead.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom