• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
It'll be better if you do an outline first. We can point out logic flaws early on.
Alright. My plan was to start everything tomorrow, so I'll do the outline then. Thanks for the tip. It's greatly appreciated as I'll probably need assistance with my writing anyways. I'm not really good at portraying my thoughts XD.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Did Sakurai and Co. ever say they were going to make the most voted for characters in the ballot? For all we know, he and his team could instead make characters that are well voted for, as well as unique with their moveset and such.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Did Sakurai and Co. ever say they were going to make the most voted for characters in the ballot? For all we know, he and his team could instead make characters that are well voted for, as well as unique with their moveset and such.
Both. I think they will pick the most requested character and after that subsequent characters (if there are any) will be around that level.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Popularity will be a huge factor.
Minus the characters that have huge issues like guns, no personality/ unique factors, representation issues and copyright
Then Sakurai will work his way down the list, choosing whatever inspires him.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
I really, really, really hope that once all new DLC characters are released and they don't plan on making any more, they finally put the select screen in a proper order. Seriously, I guess I'm OCD, but every time I play, seeing the characters being away from their franchise irks me. Anyone else?

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Popularity will be a huge factor.
Minus the characters that have huge issues like guns, no personality/ unique factors, representation issues and copyright
Then Sakurai will work his way down the list, choosing whatever inspires him.
Even so, it should be stressed that it's probably not the only factor.

A lot of the more popular picks supporters are a bit overconfident, and that's never a good thing. It's not over 'till it's over, and a good chunk of the populars have their own share of problems. It's very much a combination of things, and all the other factors shouldn't be ignored.

That said, while I don't think they should be considering him all-but-confirmed, I do think the ballot is K. Rool's best chance of getting in Smash. He was a long shot for the main game and was never really all that likely, but the ballot is providing him with a real opportunity. It's the only stage of development where he's got an inarguable advantage over Dixie in.

On the other hand, it's very much a make-or-break situation in my mind. If he fails to get in now and doesn't return in any future DK game between now and the inevitable next Smash, we might never see him get a chance.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Even so, it should be stressed that it's probably not the only factor.

A lot of the more popular picks supporters are a bit overconfident, and that's never a good thing. It's not over 'till it's over, and a good chunk of the populars have their own share of problems. It's very much a combination of things, and all the other factors shouldn't be ignored.

That said, while I don't think they should be considering him all-but-confirmed, I do think the ballot is K. Rool's best chance of getting in Smash. He was a long shot for the main game and was never really all that likely, but the ballot is providing him with a real opportunity. It's the only stage of development where he's got an inarguable advantage over Dixie in.

On the other hand, it's very much a make-or-break situation in my mind. If he fails to get in now and doesn't return in any future DK game between now and the inevitable next Smash, we might never see him get a chance.
The same thing happened Pre-Smash 4. A lot of people were over confident that Chrom would get in and Rosalina wouldn't be considered. While I do strongly believe that Chrom was on the roster at one point, in the end he was scrapped.

But yeah, you are right we shouldn't be over confident about character choices because a lot of factors are going into it.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
The same thing happened Pre-Smash 4. A lot of people were over confident that Chrom would get in and Rosalina wouldn't be considered. While I do strongly believe that Chrom was on the roster at one point, in the end he was scrapped.

But yeah, you are right we shouldn't be over confident about character choices because a lot of factors are going into it.
As you said about Rosalina, I feel the opposite is true: you shouldn't deny a character's chances because of not being in like top 3 in polls or something.

I do partially say this as I'm supporting Paper Mario, but tbh, it already happened. I mean, I don;t have much good examples, but I do think this has happened......oh right, actually, robin.

I did asked if it was mostly considered he would get in, I think I got a negative answer.

Though, i think it's not the only example but basically, just don't take popularity THAT much big. It's not a deal or break factor, it should be considered int he mix :)

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I will buy 20 copies of that Gravity Falls game. And I demand that Dipper and Mabel are added into Disney Infinity.

Ah, gotcha. What makes you say he's trying to pass himself off as you? Has this been going on for a long time or just recently?
He started it a while back, was surprised to see him at it again.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Just when I'm about to go to sleep, I check reddit and someone posted SG's Ice Climbers article.

If you need me I'll be hiding in my room.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

In the article where it says he removed the gravity, was it just for the ICs or removed from the game entirely?

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
OH MY GOD!!!

Wolf deconfirmed.
Can't tell if you are serious or not.
I'm talking about real life guns. That's part of the reason that James Bond couldn't get in (besides copyright and being based on a real person).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Can't tell if you are serious or not.
I'm talking about real life guns. That's part of the reason that James Bond couldn't get in (besides copyright and being based on a real person).
To be fair, we don't know when Sakurai applied the "video game characters only" rule. Could be from the start of the first game or even Melee. The fact he even considered James Bond alone should say a lot about that rule. I think he really made that a key rule during Brawl, which explains his statements about the third party rules he came up with later after that game's release.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
To be fair, we don't know when Sakurai applied the "video game characters only" rule. Could be from the start of the first game or even Melee. The fact he even considered James Bond alone should say a lot about that rule. I think he really made that a key rule during Brawl, which explains his statements about the third party rules he came up with later after that game's release.
I think you might be underestimating the popularity and importance of Goldeneye for the N64. It basically brought FPS to consoles, and the split screen multi-player....! James Bond in Smash would be more about the game than the actual movie or character. I think the video game rule would still apply to James Bond.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I think the video game rule would apply to James Bond purely because the Goldeneye game was so massive in its own right. I would think that Sakurai would consider any 3rd Party character as long as their games have had enough impact, like Goldeneye did.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think you might be underestimating the popularity and importance of Goldeneye for the N64. It basically brought FPS to consoles, and the split screen multi-player....! James Bond in Smash would be more about the game than the actual movie or character. I think the video game rule would still apply to James Bond.
James Bond isn't a video game character regardless. He originated in a movie, period. So all of that is irrelevant unless Sakurai outright did not apply his rule of "video game characters only" till Brawl. The only things that would've mattered is the copyright and guns, not "was not a video game character first". You seem to be missing the point I'm making overall.

The key point I'm saying is the "video game characters only" did not actually exist till Brawl. The fact he considered a movie character and the two issues were copyright and guns only further cements how little that rule mattered till Brawl. The fact he even considered a movie character already shows how little he cared about the video game character only rule by that point, if it even existed by then. No matter how important Goldeneye 007 was, it does not change James Bond was always a movie character first. Something that Sakurai very clearly cares about come Brawl. That's the very major focus of my whole point. Legacy is nice and all, but that does not matter in the slightest to any of my points.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
James Bond isn't a video game character regardless. He originated in a movie, period. So all of that is irrelevant unless Sakurai outright did not apply his rule of "video game characters only" till Brawl. The only things that would've mattered is the copyright and guns, not "was not a video game character first". You seem to be missing the point I'm making overall.

The key point I'm saying is the "video game characters only" did not actually exist till Brawl. The fact he considered a movie character and the two issues were copyright and guns only further cements how little that rule mattered till Brawl. The fact he even considered a movie character already shows how little he cared about the video game character only rule by that point, if it even existed by then. No matter how important Goldeneye 007 was, it does not change James Bond was always a movie character first. Something that Sakurai very clearly cares about come Brawl. That's the very major focus of my whole point. Legacy is nice and all, but that does not matter in the slightest to any of my points.
I'm really sorry because this is an unnecessary correction but James Bond originated in novels and short stories written by Ian Flemming. Doesn't effect your point.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm really sorry because this is an unnecessary correction but James Bond originated in novels and short stories written by Ian Flemming. Doesn't effect your point.
It's probably cause he's very famous for the movies that I thought he originated in them. Thanks for the correction on that. :)

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Smash 2 polls.

James Bond appears in the "Connection to Rare Ltd" column.

Not the "Those Aren't Nintendo Characters" column (Where Doraemon appear, who is an anime character).

James Bond would have been a Nintendo character in Smash (well actually a Rare Ltd. character but you get the idea).

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Am I the only one that believes that:

1.) Preballot DLC is over

2.) Ballot DLC based off of preliminary results is already being worked on, meaning that we will likely see a new character reveal in the coming months.

3.) The final ballot character will not announced until October.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928

2.) Ballot DLC based off of preliminary results is already being worked on, meaning that we will likely see a new character reveal in the coming months.

That's pretty much what I believe too.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750

That's what I believe, so no you aren't the only one :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom