• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
So, I was reading some stuff on TV Tropes(of course I was), and it gave me an idea for a topic regarding Antagonists:
-What do you think makes an antagonist cross the line of no return?
-And on the other hand, what is an example of when an antagonist's actions/goals/morals more justifiable than the protagonist?
For the first point, the type of villain that crosses the line for me is one that commits major and despicable atrocities and yet they are completely forgiven by other characters closely tied with them in a really unrealistic way despite what the villain did (i.e. Biba Amatori from Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress committing genocides on two towns, yet the main female lead who shares a past and bond with him still forgives him and gives him a proper burial when he never deserved it, Berkut from FE: Echoes killing Rinea to sacrifice her to Duma for more power, yet the ghost of Rinea comes down and forgives him).

For the second point, anti-villains fit the bill for the kind of antagonist whose actions are more justified than the protagonist. They usually have some kind of backstory or characterization that explores why those evil actions they do have an ulterior good motive to them (i.e. N from Pokemon Black/White, Descole from the Layton series, Lyon from FE: Sacred Stones).

Like with redfeatherraven, I largely think it comes down to the situational context to what's going on that explains whether or not an antagonist crosses the line of no return or is more justified than a protagonist).

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Being inconsistent/careless is the worst thing fictional characters can do for me. Sympathy for characters rides and dies on that alone.
What if being inconsistent is the point?

As in a character is absolutely loony or operates on blue and orange morality?

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
We are talking about villains now, eh?

What are some of ya'lls favorite villains in fiction?

Here are probably my 10 favorite villains of all time in no particular order.
- Albert Wesker
- Doctor Doom
- Magneto
- Sosuke Aizen
- Judge Claude Frollo
- Vergil
- Ridley
- Dark Phoenix
- Nemesis
- Gorilla Grodd

It's good to be bad...

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Welp. Just got rejected for an internship.

It's hard finding the right place when you don't have any good qualities companies want from you.
Sorry to hear that. As a college grad who's been searching for a decent job for the past two years, just keep trying your best. Job searches can be super depressing, but keep in mind that the hardest part is getting to the interview itself. :)

Last edited:

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990

When a character is random, it is no longer a character. When a character doesn't do everything for a reason, they do it because of a reason (as in, not everything happens for a reason, but because of a reason). If there's no structure to it, then it by default fails the concept of a character. Even when someone is "crazy", their actions and words can still mean something.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Blue and Orange Morality is more about an alien concept of morality. It's not that those who fall under it are "outside of morality" but that they operate under laws different from our own or that we simply can't comprehend.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

Shoe already said pretty much everything that had to be said about "blue and orange morality", so I'll just say this instead.

I think you were thinking of a cloudcuckoolander.

Last edited:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Shoe already said pretty much everything that had to be said about "blue and orange morality", so I'll just say this instead.

I think you were thinking of a cloudcuckoolander.
I don't think Holder was talking about either. To my understanding, Holder was discussing villains that ostensibly have an agenda, but execute it improperly, for no reason that is well-stated in the work.

If you want to describe it with a trope, you're looking for a holder (no riff intended) of the Idiot Ball. Or Bond VIllain Stupidity. Or someone suffering from Complexity Addiction. Or anyone who could be reasonably asked "Why Don't You Just Shoot Him?"

One example, but by far not the only example, would be to pick any entry in the Evil Overlord List that begins to the effect of "I will not" and describes a stupid thing. Then imagine a villain who does that stupid thing without a previously established motive or character flaw. If it's stupid enough, even that may not be sufficient.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I don't think Holder was talking about either. To my understanding, Holder was discussing villains that ostensibly have an agenda, but execute it improperly, for no reason that is well-stated in the work.

If you want to describe it with a trope, you're looking for a holder (no riff intended) of the Idiot Ball. Or Bond VIllain Stupidity. Or someone suffering from Complexity Addiction. Or anyone who could be reasonably asked "Why Don't You Just Shoot Him?"

One example, but by far not the only example, would be to pick any entry in the Evil Overlord List that begins to the effect of "I will not" and describes a stupid thing. Then imagine a villain who does that stupid thing without a previously established motive or character flaw. If it's stupid enough, even that may not be sufficient.
Um... Swamp was the one I quoted, not Holder.

You still have good points but... not the right person lol

D

Deleted member

Today I had my final exam until after spring break.
Which means I have some free time on my hands. I might continue my playthrough of Golden Sun today but I'm too demotivated to do anything right now.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So, I was reading some stuff on TV Tropes(of course I was), and it gave me an idea for a topic regarding Antagonists:
-And on the other hand, what is an example of when an antagonist's actions/goals/morals more justifiable than the protagonist?
I think the line of no return is what Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei mentioned but also I feel it's when the villain destroys the life of someone the hero loves and they're horribly wounded as a result of that. I think Sephiroth is a good example of that. Obviously the Nibelheim Incident made him out to be evil and vicious but what he did to Aerith made him a special kind of diabolical villain. The one that you don't love to hate but rather just flat out absolutely hate. That and the fact that he constantly looks for ways to make Cloud's life miserable.

I think cases like that are when the villain is fighting for his people's cause even if it means having to do horrible things as a result of them. Saturos and Menardi from Golden Sun fit this bill pretty well in that they were trying to save Weyard from collapse but there's no way you could call them "heroes" with the actions they take in the game (deliberately putting people's lives at risk, taking Felix and Sheba hostage for their own purposes, etc.). At best they're Well Intentioned Extremists even though I wouldn't fully agree with that.

Last edited:

Chrono.

Man, I've seen some bad ports of games before but the Switch version of WWE 2K18 is something else.

This isn't even the worst of it.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Um... Swamp was the one I quoted, not Holder.

You still have good points but... not the right person lol
Swamp was quoting Holder, so I just kind of brought it full circle. Still fits with yours too, though.

In his response, I think Swamp was looking for a kind of tangential morality explanation - something that would allow for things that seem sub-optimal to us, but are optimal to them.

Cloudcuckoolanders, for their part, have several issues fitting this bill.

Firstly, they only very rarely have any agenda to speak of. Secondly, when they do, it is generally not malicious. And thirdly, a cloudcuckoolander acting counter to their goals is to be expected, and they aren't to be taken seriously - while the kind of villain Swamp was looking for should be taken seriously, most likely.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Today I had my final exam until after spring break.
Which means I have some free time on my hands. I might continue my playthrough of Golden Sun today but I'm too demotivated to do anything right now.
Cool, if you need any help playing the game just let me know. I have The Broken Seal down to a tee. Currently replaying The Lost Age.
Man, I've seen some bad ports of games before but the Switch version of WWE 2K18 is something else.

The fact that this game was even sold is a violation of human rights.

D

Deleted member

I think I'll continue Golden Sun tomorrow. I need to play a game that requires minimal thinking and isn't too hard.
Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Forcing themselves onto someone who isn't willing to have sex with them, one of the protagonists in Jetman does it and it's why I consider it poorly aged irredeemable trash. Taking pleasure in murder makes them a looney who will likely never recover. Though I feel a villain called Parad is an exception as he technically didn't kill and didn't understand the consequences so when he became mortal he ****ing flipped after realizing what he inflicted to others.
Depends on the end goal. Sure, Doctor Doom wants to rule the world but more often than not he actually makes the world a better place and generally acts kind to his people. President Valentine wanted to gain the power of Christ but only so no enemies of his country could get it and use it against him. Also depends on the sympathy factor, the Greeed Uva and Gamel don't want to consume the world have desires that can be desired and have only attacked humans because they feed off of human desire and can't eat anything else to survive (Though Gamel mimics children by eating candy), Uva just wants to survive and Gamel wants to be with the person he loves (Gamel's also the only Greeed in the show who dies happily).

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man

I've seen PS2 games run better than this.

No, seriously. There was a PS2 Smackdown game that had 8 player matches and it ran better than this trainwreck.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think an important part of whether a villain crosses the line is where the line is in the work.

Certain works may have the line at murder while others might have it at genocide.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I wonder could the new character hinted at in heroes be an oc? Unlikely but you never know at this point. Maybe it’s early advertising?

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Hm... so base on this pic, is Ursula trying her best to be a bada** merc leader?
And yes, that hat is Newt's...
Your merc team name still sucks Ursula~~~~

I also notice Mythra seems to like have leg weary problems... I think...

D

Deleted member

Explane the planes we take for flying then.
Are you saying the Earth is in the shape of a plane?
I think I'll continue Golden Sun tomorrow. I need to play a game that requires minimal thinking and isn't too hard.
Any suggestions?
Any Musou game.
A platformer like Mario, Kirby or Yoshi.
FE Fates in Phoenix Mode.
I wonder could the new character hinted at in heroes be an oc? Unlikely but you never know at this point. Maybe it’s early advertising?
It's really odd because they have never done this kind of teasing before, and I can't really think of a hype character to be it.
Doesn't help some were theorising the silhouettes are Ophelia and Sophie(I can kinda see the latter tbh, due to the hair).

OR
It's some kind of collab event and we're getting non-FE characters

Ivander

Smash Legend
Some people think it's possible that one of them might be Sharena in a costume. For one, Sharena was suggested to wear one in the Easter Paralogue, much to her chagrin. And two, someone actually pointed this out.

While there's no guarantee it is, I actually like it when people point out details that actually make sense.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I think an important part of whether a villain crosses the line is where the line is in the work.

Certain works may have the line at murder while others might have it at genocide.
Well yeah that's true because villains in Dragon Ball typically don't cross a line after they murder one of the heroes or someone close to the heroes and yet they're still worthy of redemption in the case of Piccolo/Vegeta or mercy in the case of Freeza (very briefly). Then again, DBZ treats death like a joke so that's to be expected.

I just feel that when the villain destroys the life of someone beloved by the hero typically puts them in a special category of asshole especially when it's made clear that the hero will never get to be with the one that he loved anymore because of what the villain did.

D

Deleted member

Yo @ FGO players: Who dis?

Need to know for science.
Not sure, where did you find this? It's either someone new or it's a fan edit because I browse the character page a lot for my Mafia game and I didn't see anyone like her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom