• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMDP

Smash Legend
The problem with small numbers is that you can’t have small differences between them, especially if you're restricting yourself to integers, simple fractions, or finite decimal digits — there are more values you can cram between, say, 400 and 600 than between 4 and 6.
This is something I thought of myself.

It depends on what you want to accomplish.

D

Deleted member

Quick question here for anyone who's played LegacyXP for Brawl:

Is it just me, or is there weird input lag with LegacyXP? Characters didn't really feel like they were moving the way they should, and it made the game feel very stiff.

Chrono.

Is it just me, or is there weird input lag with LegacyXP? Characters didn't really feel like they were moving the way they should, and it made the game feel very stiff.
There was for me.

But I used a really shoddy third party classic controller.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
This is something I thought of myself.

It depends on what you want to accomplish.
Yeah, there's definitely a fine line to tread in terms of the size of stat numbers in a game. Make your numbers too small, and you severely limit your ability to create variance in the stats of your creatures and characters. Make your numbers too big, and small statistical differences become difficult to care about.

D

Deleted member

There was for me.

But I used a really shoddy third party classic controller.
I used Xbox One controllers, and there was definitely lag. A bit of a shame, as it's the only way to play as a solid Waluigi mod in Smash, as far as I know. Waluigi and Shadow are pretty much the only part about it that keeps me interested in going back to it, as a lot of the other characters are available through Ultimate now and play way better.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Nintendo is hosting a Tetris 99 tournament. 999 winners will receive 999 My Nintendo Gold Coins.
I highly bet it won't be me but I'm still giving it a shot.
>wins

yep no way I'm getting that

Dunno if it was input lag but I definitely felt the "stiffness" and it really turned me off, ended up going back to PM.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
There's new episode title for the sun and moon anime and two cool things happen.

First Guzma will finally be showing up after he hears kukui is building a league. I look forward to seeing him. Haven't watched the anime but may watch this episode.

The second features lillie and gladion search for their father Mohn. To help them lusamine shows them his room to search for clues. It will be pretty interesting to see how the anime handles lore here.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Yeah Startropics 3 would be great in today's age since Zelda isn't linear anymore. ST has that niche it can fill not to mention it's more action-focused than puzzle solving.
What would be more beneficial for Nintendo when it comes to filling that itch of linear Zelda-like games?

Bring back an obscure IP that never made it in Japan for some reason or just remake an old Zelda game?

KMDP

Smash Legend
Yeah, there's definitely a fine line to tread in terms of the size of stat numbers in a game. Make your numbers too small, and you severely limit your ability to create variance in the stats of your creatures and characters. Make your numbers too big, and small statistical differences become difficult to care about.
You can actually be quite creative with small scale numbers beyond just minute stat variance. It all depends on what you do with it (you can make even early game equipment really matter with such small numbers).

Balancing the small scale numbers is pretty difficult; the way I have it now, it's kind of silly that Level 99 only gets to about 100 HP, from 30 HP at Level 1. That being said, I feel like it can be done even in a normal JRPG (not that the late game would be particularly satisfying, as Pyra Pyra mentioned there's a certain charm to building up to huge numbers from tiny numbers).

Potato_

Smash Lord
So that new MK 11 Story trailer looks like fanservice overload.

Shao Khan being involved in the story surprised me but it makes sense with the whole time travel shenanigans. Also was nice to see old Liu Kang and Raiden.

Cassie looks amazing in this game, both in design and moveset. Really hyped to see more of her in the Kombat Kast.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Shao Khan being involved in the story surprised me but it makes sense with the whole time travel shenanigans. Also was nice to see old Liu Kang and Raiden.

Cassie looks amazing in this game, both in design and moveset. Really hyped to see more of her in the Kombat Kast.
I still can’t get over Ronda Blade, but the rest is amazing

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

How can the story handle two Johnnys though? :p

Potato_

Smash Lord
I still can’t get over Ronda Blade, but the rest is amazing
Cassie's bothers me more. I love Erica Lindbeck but I feel she made Cassie sound a bit too young in this game, I preferred Ashly Burch's take on her in X. Everything else about her is too great for me to be too irked at that though.

Ronda's alright, she sounds a bit awkward in some scenes but overall I'm okay with it.

How can the story handle two Johnnys though? :p
From what they showed, two Johnnys will be dumb in the best way possible. No better person for him to play off of then himself.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
You can actually be quite creative with small scale numbers beyond just minute stat variance. It all depends on what you do with it (you can make even early game equipment really matter with such small numbers).

Balancing the small scale numbers is pretty difficult; the way I have it now, it's kind of silly that Level 99 only gets to about 100 HP, from 30 HP at Level 1. That being said, I feel like it can be done even in a normal JRPG (not that the late game would be particularly satisfying, as Pyra Pyra mentioned there's a certain charm to building up to huge numbers from tiny numbers).
I feel like being able to capture the feeling of growth is important.
If the numbers stay small the whole time, then it feels like you've gone nowhere the whole time- if the numbers are big the whole time, it feels like any progress is meaningless.

It also depends on the game and the context, of course. Look at Paper Mario: You do virtually no damage at the beginning, but the first time you hit above a 10 feels very satisfying later on in the game. This is amplified by all the various bells and whistles they throw at you on screen (like the amount of stars on screen when you hit something being a visual indicator of the damage done). If, somehow, you were able to do 100 damage in a single hit, that would be too much of a jump no matter where you are in the game and it would feel absurd. (Of course, 100 damage combos are fair game).

It's a balancing act between the pacing, the player stats, the enemy stats, and the feel of the game in general.
If I was playing a JRPG, I would probably want a more extreme difference between starting stats and ending stats because the atmosphere of the game may lend towards fantastical visuals and a huge, satisfying numbers that you earned could fill the screen (or something to that effect).

D

Deleted member

Cassie's bothers me more. I love Erica Lindbeck but I feel she made Cassie sound a bit too young in this game, I preferred Ashly Burch's take on her in X. Everything else about her is too great for me to be too irked at that though.

Ronda's alright, she sounds a bit awkward in some scenes but overall I'm okay with it.

From what they showed, two Johnnys will be dumb in the best way possible. No better person for him to play off of then himself.
They're hit and miss on casting it feels like. JB Blanc is great as Kano and I honestly prefer Lindbeck as Cassie, but replacing Patrick Seitz as Scorpion doesn't feel right.
Now I'm just waiting to see if they kept Troy Baker as Erron or if they got Matthew Mercer instead, since whenever there's a cowboy character in a non-western game nowadays it's usually gonna be Mercer voicing them.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
What would be more beneficial for Nintendo when it comes to filling that itch of linear Zelda-like games?

Bring back an obscure IP that never made it in Japan for some reason or just remake an old Zelda game?
Well then ST3 would be the proper introduction of Startropics in Japan if it happened. And like I said, ST is more action-orientated compared to Zelda's puzzle focus. It's filling a niche while introducing something new to the table as well.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

I haven’t heard Cassie speak yet, so can’t talk about that. I do love how she looks though (her Fatality is both cool and cute aswell), but Ronda...ain’t cutting it for me. About a year of her not being able to cut a promo in the WWE and also her bad Twitter game doesn’t help the case

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I’ve been playing some more Smash and the last match I did yesterday and the cpu got more ko’s than me and then ****ing timed me out at the end.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
oh man...

that power rangers game looks not good at all

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Oh no I was actually like 5 seconds away from calling someone something rude lol. I had to leave.
Fair enough. On another note, I'm gathering the artwork displayed in the Quest series via screenshots. There's quite a lot used. Though a lot is repeated usage. I'm unsure if any of it is real artwork just put into polygons or jokes based upon them.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
man, mk11 looks neat

guess i'll have to learn how to play traditional fighters again and also cage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom