• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iridium

Smash Hero
There was a problem fetching the tweet

I can't tell if this works, but why is it so close to satisfying to watch?

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004

KMDP

Smash Legend
D

Deleted member

--- ---
The exact issue is that said character is the villain. Every villain, including sympathetic one, has a reason why they're considered evil in the author's eyes and it's that characteristic or action that's being condemned.
It's a conscious decision from the writer what group or type of behaviour they want to critique, and when they're supposed to be sympathetic, it's a "if they weren't this thing, they could be a good person". Most times it can be simply because they're murderers or because they're tyrannical rulers.
So what Shield Hero condemn? Women in position of power to falsely accuse men. It's fearmongering of a myth that actively harms women in real life. She's a character, the work is not condemning something that happens to exist, the author took the conscious decision of cretaing this villain so he could condemn her.
If the author so much as cared about the issue, he'd have "the other side of the argument" with a villain who is actually guilt of such crime but that'd be expecting too much nuance from an isekai LN.

It's fine for you to enjoy it, but it's also important to recongize its problems. Other positive parts of it won't change its problematic nature.
And this is coming from someone who enjoys Nanatsu no Taizai, a work filled with so much problematic **** you could write an entire essay about it.

KMDP

Smash Legend
The exact issue is that said character is the villain. Every villain, including sympathetic one, has a reason why they're considered evil in the author's eyes and it's that characteristic or action that's being condemned.
It's a conscious decision from the writer what group or type of behaviour they want to critique, and when they're supposed to be sympathetic, it's a "if they weren't this thing, they could be a good person". Most times it can be simply because they're murderers or because they're tyrannical rulers.
So what Shield Hero condemn? Women in position of power to falsely accuse men. It's fearmongering of a myth that actively harms women in real life. She's a character, the work is not condemning something that happens to exist, the author took the conscious decision of cretaing this villain so he could condemn her.
If the author so much as cared about the issue, he'd have "the other side of the argument" with a villain who is actually guilt of such crime but that'd be expecting too much nuance from an isekai LN.
The Princess isn't a villain because she falsely accused the hero of Sexual Assault, she made the false accusation because she's a villain, this is a very important distinction.

You're right that the accusation could have been anything else, but that's the thing: sexual assault, especially of royalty, is not only very very bad, but also difficult to prove or disprove. If she had accused Shield Hero of murder or theft, there might have been (and probably would have been) evidence to the contrary which could be used to disprove her accusation.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

--- ---

It's fine for you to enjoy it, but it's also important to recongize its problems. Other positive parts of it won't change its problematic nature.
And this is coming from someone who enjoys Nanatsu no Taizai, a work filled with so much problematic **** you could write an entire essay about it.
Yeah, I agree with this. Like, I figured there's an in universe explanation, even if it's just being evil to be evil. But often times that person who's portrayed as such an immoral being usually has characteristics that the targeted audience is suppose to catch as "well yeah, that's part of what makes them so immoral".

Like cross dressing psycho killers for instance, it's such a common trope and most the time it's clearly framed in a way that crossdressing is part of what makes them so crazy.

Same goes for this narrative, even if in universe, her actions justify her being a villain, it's still framed in the way of the audience suppose to relate as "all of these women just making false accusations, am I right fellas?"

You know, it's not to say that false accusations don't exist and even worse false accusations that were found to be false and still nothing's done about it. You know I understand that's a terrible thing to do, but you don't have to resort to calling that person slurs relating to part of their identity that doesn't contribute to them being bad.

We probably wouldn't be having this discussion if it was a gay character being called a slur relating to their sexuality as punishment for their crimes, huh?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I just had my first nosebleed since I was like 12.

This is a surreal experience.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Same goes for this narrative, even if in universe, her actions justify her being a villain, it's still framed in the way of the audience suppose to relate as "all of these women just making false accusations, am I right fellas?"
Is it?

The accusation of Sexual Assault is the act that kicks off the plot, but it's not the focus. Having, as Shishoe suggested, a villain guilty of the crime for nuance, would muddy the plot, because that's not what the story is actually about.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
--- ---
As stated, we don't know the author's gender. It's been confirmed to be a pen name. Saying it was written by a man with a grudge against women is no better than the trolls on Twitter/Reddit making fun of SJWs by saying it was written by a women.

I'm not sure exactly what else you're saying beyond that to be honest. I don't think having a female villain that's willing to break social taboos needs to be a statement beyond this person is evil and enjoys being evil. Aside from what is in the outdated web novel, I can't really say much of anything else aside from her not being the only villain at the start as the LN has yet to reach the point where they are given development beyond being manipulating people.

I agree, I just don't believe the intro is what we should be up in arms about. The anime hasn't even gotten to the slavery aspect of the series.

I'm willing to tolerate period pieces (Game of Thrones for example), how it represents the protagonist's trust issues, and that many characters only raise the issue a few times, but having slavery as a power up, even if it's offered as a choice and limits you to only telling the truth, is by and large my biggest issue. Ugh...very unnecessary...:facepalm:

You know, it's not to say that false accusations don't exist and even worse false accusations that were found to be false and still nothing's done about it. You know I understand that's a terrible thing to do, but you don't have to resort to calling that person slurs relating to part of their identity that doesn't contribute to them being bad.
Agreed. I do see that as the problem early on, but I also see it as a part of the character's growth due to how the story plays out. People are arguing over Episode 1 of 25 of an adapted show that was mostly world building. An Incel troll as a main character would cause the anime community to implode.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The only thing I know about them is their whistle theme.

...for the longest time I thought they were a real basketball team.
I think they used to be one before going "ay look at these tricks lmao"

KMDP

Smash Legend
I think they used to be one before going "ay look at these tricks lmao"
Well, according to Wikipedia, they've actually won a tournament before.

So yes, at one point they were a real Basketball team.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
So I plan on booting up Smash Ultimate again today. I had to put it aside for some time because I was quite busy with both work the week after the game came out and Fate/Grand Order in the following weeks because I had to grind all the free Saint Quartz I could get for Merlin.

One question I want to ask you all: how have you guys been doing Nairs?

I ask this because Smash Ultimate removed the ability to tilt the C-stick diagonally to perform a Nair, and I find that to be my main issue with the controls so far. I can perform Nairs every now and then, but not as easily as in Smash 4 because the C-stick won't let me do that. This is especially troublesome for my mains like Greninja and Chrom, both of whom have Nairs that are essential attacks to them.

So I mainly want to hear how have all you been performing/inputting Nair attacks. This question will probably be more pertinent to the Gamecube controller users here, as I am speaking from my experience of using the GC controller (the one I prefer whenever I play Smash).

Chrono.

The Broly movie was sick.

Favorite part was the crowd popping for Vegeta's first "INSECTO". I made the right choice watching it in Spanish, Latino dub actors are still killing it. Broly is an actual good character now and Cheelai was the MVP. Frieza gets some great moments, even if he wasn't part of most of action and seeing Bardock and Gone send Goku off was surprisingly emotional.

I used to think BoG would be hard to beat as the best DB movie but Broly knocked it out of the park and launched it to space.

Jojalole

Henshin a go go baby!
Switch FC
SW 7943 9867 0675
Lmao I got the Shulk glitch in which he gets all the Monado Arts at the same time online, that **** was hilarious. Can't believe it hasn't been patched yet, poor K.Rool, got killed at 50 from a Smash attack hahaha.

One question I want to ask you all: how have you guys been doing Nairs?
Hum, I play with a pro controller, and I've been feeling that C-Stick overall isn't very reliable for aerials, specially online, since it seems it doesn't register well for some reason. But for nairs I just let the left stick on neutral and press A. Another thing that helps is pressing the jump and A button at the same time if you want to do a short hop nair, since it does it automatically. It can be hard to manage the air momentum while doing a nair, but it can be done.

D

Deleted member

Is it?

The accusation of Sexual Assault is the act that kicks off the plot, but it's not the focus. Having, as Shishoe suggested, a villain guilty of the crime for nuance, would muddy the plot, because that's not what the story is actually about.
That's not my point. That's why I brought up psycho killers being crossdressers. It's not really the point of the story, but it's used as a way to emphasize to the audience the the person is not normal. And thus, people who do dislike cross-dressers or anyone not conforming to some gender norm use it as a means of expressing their disdain.

Like yeah, I get the entirety of this anime isn't about this one subject. That's not really my point at all. It just doesn't change that it's claim to fame as of now is how it's pissing off the salty SJWs or whatever because it shows, well, how that crowd of people tend to think of the oh so evil and prevalent SJWs anyway. I mean we're talking about the same crowd that tries to work around the term trap not being a slur even though it's pretty self evident as to why it is.

And you know that's the gist of my why I disdain these kinds of characters. It just kind of comes of as a thoughtless strawman that people can be mad at and then not think about why people are they are. To me it just reminds me of the depraved gay characters in cinema, you know. The creator might have not intended for it to be used as ammunition against gay people, but it definitely does. A lot of those characters were pretty minor in their respective films too yet a lot of them are among of the most known things about the film.

It's similar to how Goblin Slayer's claim to fame was the **** in that or how The Jazz Singer is well known for its use of black face more than anything else. Haven't seen the former, but I've seen the latter and the movie's subject has nothing to do with black people otherwise and the use of it wasn't meant to offend. But that doesn't really matter, it still shows the issues of the time period. Same goes for films like Song of the South.

I notice that so anti SJWs so to speak like to often ignore the subtext of a medium and will only strictly take things at face value.

Last edited by a moderator:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The description I saw on Goblin Slayer was " Dark Souls meets Lord of the Rings"... which is somewhat inaccurate lol, fans say it more like "DOOM guy in a fantasy/ happy wonder land."
The concept of Doomguy in a fantasy world is why I want to watch it; it's just that I read somewhere that it starts off with an underprepared party going into a goblin hideout and getting murdered along with other, more R-rated stuff happening to them. I'm not sure if that kind of material is only in the opening, or if it's a consistent thing throughout the series. (I have a similar concern with Berserk)

D

Deleted member

And you know, reading into Shisho's post I definitely see more so what you guys are saying when it's up against what he's saying. Like no one ever gets hurt from false accusations? That's definitely not true, there's been definitive cases of false **** accusations. And however sparse they may be, you don't want to resort to a minority being equal to being non-existent type argument.
No one gets their life ruined for false accusations. This fear-mongering is stupid because out of all accusations, only 2% to 10% is actually false. This is INSIGNIFICANT.
So be careful of that, the same argument is used to erase intersex people. I know because back in the day I used it as a backpadel to say there's only two sexes.

I just think when it comes to very serious issues like this there should be more depth given then "well yeah, of course she'd do it, she's an *****/*****, that's just what bad women do", you know? Not like it doesn't that person terrible, but there's no reason to resort to degrading them because of their gender either. The way the story did it is pretty shallow to be honest.

And this hearkens back to yesterday's argument. Since you might ask, well what makes this so shallow but not 76's reveal? Because for one, I am saying I care about the issue of false **** accusations and I honestly don't like how people are going about celebrating it. While with 76 I don't know why it'd matter if you thought other people were celebrating it unless you did care whether or not 76 was gay. It seems to me as though you'd have to not be comfortable with gay people if people being happy for a character coming out was such a inhumane thing.

KMDP

Smash Legend
And this hearkens back to yesterday's argument. Since you might ask, well what makes this so shallow but not 76's reveal? Because for one, I am saying I care about the issue of false **** accusations and I honestly don't like how people are going about celebrating it. While with 76 I don't know why it'd matter if you thought other people were celebrating it unless you did care whether or not 76 was gay. It seems to me as though you'd have to not be comfortable with gay people if people being happy for a character coming out was such a inhumane thing.
This issue people took with 76 was less the coming out and more how it was done, apparently.

Again, I'm not particularly well-versed in these things, I haven't seen Shield Hero (nor do I have much interest in watching it) and don't play Overwatch, to preface what I'm about to say.

76 was revealed as gay in an Overwatch novelisation, it was done tastefully and wasn't made a big deal of, just another aspect of the character; in the games, the marketing department decided to make a huge deal of it, which some people took as a cynical attempt to get people to play the game again in the wake of the Battle Royale craze.

D

Deleted member

This issue people took with 76 was less the coming out and more how it was done, apparently.
I know, I already said that, but why would you care how he comes out if you don't care if he's gay?

76 was revealed as gay in an Overwatch novelisation, it was done tastefully and wasn't made a big deal of
You see, that's the thing "wasn't made a big deal out of". To me it just seems like people don't like it when people celebrate a character coming out as gay.

76 was revealed as gay in an Overwatch novelisation, it was done tastefully and wasn't made a big deal of, just another aspect of the character; in the games, the marketing department decided to make a huge deal of it, which some people took as a cynical attempt to get people to play the game again in the wake of the Battle Royale craze.
I don't see how marketing to a demographic is bad in this case, especially if it's something as harmless as someone being gay. So why would people care if they didn't care about him being gay? They clearly care to some extent.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Oh for **** sake. If Joker dies you go all the way back to the last safe room! That’s ****ing lame!

I lost so much progress! ****.

Chrono.

Pretty sure one reason why Michael Chu and others hard confirmed 76 as gay was because there was some debate going on whether him and his partner were really lovers or just close friends.

I say this because I saw it myself on Twitter and it's something I've seen happen a lot in my years of experience on fandoms. Every time there's a same sex relationship of any kind in media, you're gonna get people who debate on whether it's meant to be read romantically or not unless it's explicitly confirmed as one or the other. Girl pairings especially have it bad in this case, there's still debates on whether Utena/Anthy or Madoka/Homura are meant to be romantic for example.

Honestly this is why I can't really buy into the whole "they're just pandering" argument because... Yeah, they may be and what about it? At the end of the day, 76 is still gay and it's still portrayed in a positive light. What REALLY would've been bad is if they had gone the "their relationship is up to your interpretation" route, which at that point you ARE trying to "pander" to the LGBT community but in an extremely lazy way that doesn't help at all.

Anyways this isn't aimed at anyone, just my two cents on the whole situation.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I know, I already said that, but why would you care how he comes out if you don't care if he's gay?

You see, that's the thing "wasn't made a big deal out of". To me it just seems like people don't like it when people celebrate a character coming out as gay.

I don't see how marketing to a demographic is bad in this case, especially if it's something as harmless as someone being gay. So why would people care if they didn't care about him being gay? They clearly care to some extent.
I have no idea. Again, I don't play Overwatch, the first time I ever heard of 76 was yesterday.

I personally don't care what sexuality 76 is, and wouldn't care even if I did play Overwatch.

That post I made was just relaying the facts as I knew them, if you want a clearer answer, you'll have to ask someone who's more in the know.
I say this because I saw it myself on Twitter and it's something I've seen happen a lot in my years of experience on fandoms. Every time there's a same sex relationship of any kind in media, you're gonna get people who debate on whether it's meant to be read romantically or not unless it's explicitly confirmed as one or the other. Girl pairings especially have it bad in this case, there's still debates on whether Utena/Anthy or Madoka/Homura are meant to be romantic for example.
*briefly wonders if that includes people seen sleeping in the same bed (in a modern context) and/or expressing affection for one another*
Every time Mineta appears on my screen, I get upset. That's how obnoxious he's been to me in s2.
So... would this face sum up your opinion of Mineta?

D

Deleted member

I have no idea. Again, I don't play Overwatch, the first time I ever heard of 76 was yesterday.

I personally don't care what sexuality 76 is, and wouldn't care even if I did play Overwatch.

That post I made was just relaying the facts as I knew them, if you want a clearer answer, you'll have to ask someone who's more in the know.
I'm asking to the thread as a whole, not you specifically. So no worries.

*briefly wonders if that includes people seen sleeping in the same bed (in a modern context) and/or expressing affection for one another*
It does funnily enough. It's weird, but when it comes to gay relationships some people won't see it as confirmed unless it's said explicitly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom