• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
... don't all people who like animes are weeb? Nah, afterall weeb is somewhat of an empty term similar to sjws.

Yeah... but Goblin Slayer turned out to be decent though (Even Gwen admit it and you said it was...bad?, so not sure where does this even come from lol.

Sorry for... what? Are you ok?

Like what? I enjoy those videos that critiques popular things that are bad like Pyrocynical's ASOT, but pass if it's like an hour long, unless it's a live stream archive.

Also Soulja boy... my boy...
You have Carlton suing Fortnite for "Stealing" his dance... But then Soulja boy sues Fortnite for the opposite reason. Fortnite/ Epic Games just gets sued for no matter what.
If you check the "About" section, it says that the Hard Times is a satire website, like the Onion. It's not meant to be taken seriously.

Also, for Goblin Slayer, how graphic does it get? The Goblin Slayer himself sounds entertaining, but I've read descriptions of the series' beginning that put me off of watching it.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
If you check the "About" section, it says that the Hard Times is a satire website, like the Onion. It's not meant to be taken seriously.

Also, for Goblin Slayer, how graphic does it get? The Goblin Slayer himself sounds entertaining, but I've read descriptions of the series' beginning that put me off of watching it.
The point of that beginning is to set up the premise of novice adventurers paying greatly for hubris and underestimating the threat that goblins manifest. Then swoops in the lead who saves the lone survivor who knows the ins-and-outs of how they operate. I don't think it ever was trying to be "Game of Thrones" or anything. The beginning horrors was almost entirely their faults...

D

Deleted member

I can give give a better explanation of my thoughts when I get off of work. I'm a big fan of the Shield Hero LN and manga, I own all 13 volumes, so I've been super disappointed at people for making things unnecessarily political.

I'm just glad that it's been confirmed that the show will receive 25 episodes and will be able to tell the full Conspricy arc and most likely the Island arc. Spirit Turtle arc would make for a solid 2nd Season should it happen.
The basic synopsis I was given is that an otaku goes to a fantasy world and gets falsely accused of sexual assault by the princess or whatever of the matriarchy that rules said fantasy world so he sets out to get revenge on them.
Which honestly sounds like something that came straight out of 4chan and I believe it's pretty accurate to the actual show.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
since you have all 13 volumes, would you say the anime is worth the watch?
The only real issue I've noticed is that the pacing is a bit fast, even compared to the manga.

It's an underdog story at it's heart, so the first episode was very much meant to be a low point by design. Once Raphtalia, the main heroine, is introduced in Episode 2 the story gains a lot of levity. The relationship between her & Naofumi (Shield) is very parent/child and it's both adorable and heartbreaking. I've been personally tempted to try and beat the crowd by using an Avatar of her.

Ecchi/Harem elements are mostly non-existant in the LN/Manga. Romance is somewhat played down. Ironically ANN criticized recent Volumes of the LN for not having more. lol

Also Xander Mobius is confirmed to play Motoyasu (Spear) in the dub. He's a gullible idiot with a secret lolicon fetish. Naofumi teaches Filo (2nd Party member) to kick him the crotch whenever she sees him.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
The only real issue I've noticed is that the pacing is a bit fast, even compared to the manga.

It's an underdog story at it's heart, so the first episode was very much meant to be a low point by design. Once Raphtalia, the main heroine, is introduced in Episode 2 the story gains a lot of levity. The relationship between her & Naofumi (Shield) is very parent/child and it's both adorable and heartbreaking. I've been personally tempted to try and beat the crowd by using an Avatar of her.

Ecchi/Harem elements are mostly non-existant in the LN/Manga. Romance is somewhat played down. Ironically ANN criticized recent Volumes of the LN for not having more. lol

Also Xander Mobius is confirmed to play Motoyasu (Spear) in the dub. He's a gullible idiot with a secret lolicon fetish. Naofumi teaches Filo (2nd Party member) to kick him the crotch whenever she sees him.
ooh this sounds good, and you sold me on Xander mobus, good sir

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

The first episode has a gang **** scene which caused a massive backlash as Crunchyroll didn't give any warnings about it whatsoever and admitted they ****ed up. I know some guys who like the show and manga but they all said "Yeah that scene was absolutely awful, don't blame you for being put off because of it"

KMDP

Smash Legend
The basic synopsis I was given is that an otaku goes to a fantasy world and gets falsely accused of sexual assault by the princess or whatever of the matriarchy that rules said fantasy world so he sets out to get revenge on them.
Which honestly sounds like something that came straight out of 4chan and I believe it's pretty accurate to the actual show.
Well, you can't really base your opinion on the plot on a synopsis filled with half-truths designed to paint the plot as badly as possible, now can you?

While I haven't watched the series myself, a few minutes of research (read: reading the Wikipedia Plot Synopsis and the character Bios) shows me that the Princess (Accuser) is the main villain, the vengeance of the hero is directly mostly at her, and the Queen is a Reasonable Authority Figure.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
I actually cant find the first episode of Shield Hero
Do you assume everying sounds like its from 4chan before you actually do research?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Well, you can't really base your opinion on the plot on a synopsis filled with half-truths designed to paint the plot as badly as possible, now can you?

While I haven't watched the series myself, a few minutes of research (read: reading the Wikipedia Plot Synopsis and the character Bios) shows me that the Princess (Accuser) is the main villain, the vengeance of the hero is directly mostly at her, and the Queen is a Reasonable Authority Figure.
It's still pretty ****ed up as the accuser is the villain which in turn reflects how people would view this in real life as when we consume media like this without seeing an issue, that view gets passed off in real life. In a world where sexual assault victims are mocked and threatened while their abusers get undying support and not only keep but able to advance their careers, it's very ****ed up. John Lassiter, Brent Kavanaugh, Johnny Deep, Quentin Taratino, CK Louis, Kevin Spacey, etc. all are abusers (I did use some non sexual examples but those examples are still people who are guilty of abusing people) yet they barely, if ever, suffered consequences while their victims are the ones who get backlash. To make matters worse, James Gunn, who was falsely accused, DID suffer consequences because he got targeted by the scum that defended the abusers I just listed.

TLDR: It is NOT the kind of story people need, especially right now

KMDP

Smash Legend
It's still pretty ****ed up as the accuser is the villain which in turn reflects how people would view this in real life as when we consume media like this without seeing an issue, that view gets passed off in real life. In a world where sexual assault victims are mocked and threatened while their abusers get undying support and not only keep but able to advance their careers, it's very ****ed up. John Lassiter, Brent Kavanaugh, Johnny Deep, Quentin Taratino, CK Louis, Kevin Spacey, etc. all are abusers (I did use some non sexual examples but those examples are still people who are guilty of abusing people) yet they barely, if ever, suffered consequences while their victims are the ones who get backlash. To make matters worse, James Gunn, who was falsely accused, DID suffer consequences because he got targeted by the scum that defended the abusers I just listed.

TLDR: It is NOT the kind of story people need, especially right now
I agree that this story is pretty poorly timed considering the cultural climate we're in; but it's not like it was published to deliberately undermine any particular movement or culture (because it's from Japan and they aren't really aware of what goes on the west except in very specific circumstances).

False **** accusations (what the story contains) are a real thing that people need to be wary of, which is what the story is vilifying.

You can't just take all sexual assault accusations as the truth without fact checking, because that gives less scrupulous individuals the option to exploit the system. The story is right to treat the False Accuser as the villain, because she's willing to destroy an innocent person's life for personal gain.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
A site that make satire fake news? Wow, I see, not too familiar with the site so yeah, my bad.
But I really won't be surprised if the article was real.
The description I saw on Goblin Slayer was " Dark Souls meets Lord of the Rings"... which is somewhat inaccurate lol, fans say it more like "DOOM guy in a fantasy/ happy wonder land."
Well, the only way to find out if it's accurate is to watch the anime lol. I will check it out... once I'm done with MHA S3 and Hanebado.

Do you assume everying sounds like its from 4chan before you actually do research?
Come to think of it.
How I was first heard of 4chan was because of the Smash Bros leaks back in the 3DS days...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Basically what Gwen said. Stories about false accusations of sexual assault are the last thing we need right now considering it's already hard for people to believe victims of it(just recently we had an idol being forced to aplogize to the two men who ASSAULTED HER).
This show is just going to justify this sort of **** culture that believes these accusations are the majority of cases when it's the exact opposite.

They could have made her accuse him of anything else: it could be for murdering someone or for stealing some royal treasure(both of which are false accusations that are actually very common in real life) but instead they went for this one and it tells a lot about what kind of author this is.
He's a gullible idiot with a secret lolicon fetis
Just so you know, this doesn't really help your case at all.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I agree that this story is pretty poorly timed considering the cultural climate we're in; but it's not like it was published to deliberately undermine any particular movement or culture (because it's from Japan and they aren't really aware of what goes on the west except in very specific circumstances).

False **** accusations (what the story contains) are a real thing that people need to be wary of, which is what the story is vilifying.

You can't just take all sexual assault accusations as the truth without fact checking, because that gives less scrupulous individuals the option to exploit the system. The story is right to treat the False Accuser as the villain, because she's willing to destroy an innocent person's life for personal gain.
Except it IS relevant to Japan's society to, best example being the incredibly abusive idol industry. An idol called Maho from the group NGT48 was recently assaulted and she was forced to apologize on television for reporting her assault. Remember, IDOL industry, the same industry which has male fans get enraged if the girls ever get relationships so they aren't allowed to have one, I don't know if this is still the case, but in the 80's, Tetsuo Kurata, who played the titular character of Kamen Rider Black, a major hit, wasn't allowed to have any relationships while he was doing the job for Black and it's sequel, Black RX

KMDP

Smash Legend
Basically what Gwen said. Stories about false accusations of sexual assault are the last thing we need right now considering it's already hard for people to believe victims of it(just recently we had an idol being forced to aplogize to the two men who ASSAULTED HER).
This show is just going to justify this sort of **** culture that believes these accusations are the majority of cases when it's the exact opposite.

They could have made her accuse him of anything else: it could be for murdering someone or for stealing some royal treasure(both of which are false accusations that are actually very common in real life) but instead they went for this one and it tells a lot about what kind of author this is.

Just so you know, this doesn't really help your case at all.
I think the show is going to have less of an impact than you think it will.

As Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen pointed out, there is a big problem where actual abusers get off scott-free while those who are falsely accused (who as you said are in the minority) get their lives unjustly ruined.

In both cases, the victims are screwed over.

KMDP

Smash Legend
can someone tell me that Im not the oy one that finds that the color of her eye blending in with her skin is spooky
View attachment 186521
I'm mildly visually impaired (I have a minor case Keratoconus), it blurs my vision and, had you not said anything, I would have thought she was making a ^_^ face.

And then I looked closer and saw what you meant, yeah, that is somewhat spooky.

D

Deleted member

I think the show is going to have less of an impact than you think it will.

As Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen pointed out, there is a big problem where actual abusers get off scott-free while those who are falsely accused (who as you said are in the minority) get their lives unjustly ruined.

In both cases, the victims are screwed over.
No one gets their life ruined for false accusations. This fear-mongering is stupid because out of all accusations, only 2% to 10% is actually false. This is INSIGNIFICANT.
90% to 98% of victims get their lives ruined and the majority of those don't even get compensated and their abusers go off scotfree. False accusstions of **** is far from a pressing matter in any society while the opposite remains true.

Shows like this justify the mindsets of people who already think like that. It's throwing wood at the fire. If the show actually wanted to make some statement(which it does not), it could have, as I said, focused on issues that are actually prevalent such as false accusations of murder and theft, especially considering it's a Japanese work, a country infamous for its 99% conviction rate.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Come to think of it.
How I was first heard of 4chan was because of the Smash Bros leaks back in the 3DS days...
I cant remeber when I first heard of 4chan, I think it was because of some stupid youtube video making fun of them lol
I'm mildly visually impaired (I have a minor case Keratoconus), it blurs my vision and, had you not said anything, I would have thought she was making a ^_^ face.

And then I looked closer and saw what you meant, yeah, that is somewhat spooky.
Idk if my astigmatism is screwing with me but that brown almost looks like the same color of brown her skin. If I look at it for a long while, I start to see no eyes and Im like wow.
Even better is this, where the bottom Lashes, again, blend in so she has a thousand yard stare
20190112095514.png

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
No one gets their life ruined for false accusations. This fear-mongering is stupid because out of all accusations, only 2% to 10% is actually false. This is INSIGNIFICANT.
90% to 98% of victims get their lives ruined and the majority of those don't even get compensated and their abusers go off scotfree. False accusstions of **** is far from a pressing matter in any society while the opposite remains true.

Shows like this justify the mindsets of people who already think like that. It's throwing wood at the fire. If the show actually wanted to make some statement(which it does not), it could have, as I said, focused on issues that are actually prevalent such as false accusations of murder and theft, especially considering it's a Japanese work, a country infamous for its 99% conviction rate.
God, that reminds me of an example or two I wish I remembered, the authors for Toriko and Ruroni Kenshin both got off scotfree for sketchy ****, Toriko's dude had a 16 year old prostitute iirc (No, the age of consent is NOT 13 there) and the latter had a lot of child porn. Careers got untouched. The actor for Kamen Rider Gaim's Ryoma Sengoku also hasn't seen many consequences after assaulting 3 women when drunk, the most punishment I saw was a dude who had uploaded stuff of his character's merch on the day the report came in before they knew deleting it and issuing an apology for indirectly promoting assault the next video

KMDP

Smash Legend
God, that reminds me of an example or two I wish I remembered, the authors for Toriko and Ruroni Kenshin both got off scotfree for sketchy ****, Toriko's dude had a 16 year old prostitute iirc (No, the age of consent is NOT 13 there) and the latter had a lot of child porn. Careers got untouched. The actor for Kamen Rider Gaim's Ryoma Sengoku also hasn't seen many consequences after assaulting 3 women when drunk, the most punishment I saw was a dude who had uploaded stuff of his character's merch on the day the report came in before they knew deleting it and issuing an apology for indirectly promoting assault the next video
Didn't the author of Toriko spent time in prison (before publishing Toriko)? I remember hearing something like that while Toriko was starting.

Actually, you just reminded me of something myself...
There was a documentary I saw about Japan's porn industry, the woman hosting it went to see a photographer who takes very skeevy "model" photos of children (at the request of the parents).

The woman asked him how he would feel about his daughter doing such a thing, and he said, I'm not kidding: "I would kill myself out of shame." Obviously, the follow-up question was "well then why are you doing this as a job?"
Also, the part of your post about the actor for Ryoma Sengoku reminded about something else, Norio Imamura (a Stage actor, and the previous voice actor for Emporio Ivankov) got arrested for showing off tattoos on the internet (on the count of indecent exposure), which lost him that voice acting role (and the role was actually made for him to play by Eiichiro Oda).

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Didn't the author of Toriko spent time in prison (before publishing Toriko)? I remember hearing something like that while Toriko was starting.

Actually, you just reminded me of something myself...
There was a documentary I saw about Japan's porn industry, the woman hosting it went to see a photographer who takes very skeevy "model" photos of children (at the request of the parents).

The woman asked him how he would feel about his daughter doing such a thing, and he said, I'm not kidding: "I would kill myself out of shame." Obviously, the follow-up question was "well then why are you doing this as a job?"
Also, the part of your post about the actor for Ryoma Sengoku reminding about something else, Norio Imamura (a Stage actor, and the previous voice actor for Emporio Ivankov) got arrested for showing off tattoos on the internet (on the count of indecent exposure), which lost him that voice acting role (and the role was actually made for him to play by Eiichiro Oda).
Oh thank god it's less **** of a country than I assumed

Also I just learned that the ****ing actors on Kamen Rider Blade do believe 2 of the Riders are genuinely gay and they even made jewellery of their symbols invoking their love for each other holy **** I want to cry this makes Blade's ending so much more sad
EDIT: IT'S CALLED ETERNAL MARRIAGE TOO HOLY **** JAPAN LEGALIZE LGBT MARRIAGE ALREADY IT'S WHAT KAMEN RIDER WOULD WANT

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
NXT UK finally having their first Takeover today...good for them (and better be good for me)

KMDP

Smash Legend
Man I wish I could play Persona 5 right no way instead of working! That game is too good.
I've always loved the irony of this kind of post.

Because Persona 3-5 are essentially a "life simulator", part of which involves you going to school and working part-time jobs.

"I don't want to go to school! I need to go to school!"

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

Because Persona 3-5 are essentially a "life simulator", part of which involves you going to school and working part-time jobs.

I guess it is funny. What are the first 2 Persona like?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

A life simulator huh...Sims and Animal Crossing are the only real ways to learn about life

no this isn’t supposed to make any sense

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I guess it is funny. What are the first 2 Persona like?
I'm not 100% certain, having not played the games myself.

From what I can tell, it's slightly more barebones, being more gameplay focused, the Wikipedia articles for Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment (Parts 1 and 2 of Persona 2) make no mention of anything besides World Map traversal, the battle system and it's unique Story mechanic of the Rumour System.

Persona 3 was where the Persona games became what they would be today in terms of Gameplay, as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It has come to my attention some of you think it's legal to not watch Mob Psycho

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Sorry if this is a bit long, much of what has been going on with the series all week has been bugging me. I apologize if any of this feels directed at you as that is not my intent. As with most issues there is a lot more going on in the grand scheme of things that cannot be fully recognized within a basic internet post or from a single point of view. I would encourage anyone to a least stick through at least the first part of the story, as I want to share my hype, but I fully understand if one chooses not to.

If it's a revenge story, I can safely say it's not much of one (main character can't attack others & hold weapons beyond his shield). Most of the story is just him showing up or having to step in and fix the other character's mistakes. At most the main character, Naofumi, fantasizes about getting back at the Princess and does become misogynistic but he admits his mistakes and apologizes at the end of the first volume as the rest of the series focuses on him learning to re-gain his trust in others. His breaking point is when he lets go of his anger and is briefly unable to recognize the heroine who had been at his side for several months. His ultimate weapon is called the Shield of Wraith, which amplifies his rage at the cost of hurting himself & others.

As for the synopsis, there is a lot that builds up to the false accusation so the emphasis placed on it is overblown IMO, especially in the LN & manga where the pacing is better and outright states the Princess is evil before the main character is teleported. I think there are much greater political issues that come out the story beyond that and even have me, as a fan, cringing at times; and yes lolicon stuff bugs me too. I won't argue for or against it being a bad plot device, but people trying to use it as a political tool/excuse for bad behavior or that's it telling of entire whole story I will.

Personal opinion stuff that it would be better to PM me over rather than discuss in-thread. I may or may not respond:

SJWs: False accusations are a real thing and suck for both genders. They make it harder for actual victims to come forth and can result in lasting damage for the accused. Focusing on a single selective instance in a niche medium ignores the greater issues facing the MeToo movement by painting things black/white when the justice system is much more gray than that. Accusations should always be taken seriously but we shouldn't let external politics decide a innocent/guilty plea before each side can make their case. Judging something based on the what is ultimately a small part of the story (Episode 1 of 25), written almost a decade ago, is a rush to judgement. There is a web novel, 20 LN volumes & counting, a manga, an ongoing spin-off LN & manga, and now an anime. I'm not saying you'll like it but I hope it can be shown that there is something more to the story itself than initial impressions of a select set of anime fans.

Trolls: Flocking to something out of click-bait spite for someone else is pathetic. 90% of the story features on women kicking *** and setting the men straight (the main character is literally unable to attack others!). Much of the main character's development is based in opening up to others, overcoming psychological problems, and admitting mistakes. If you're looking for a story about getting back at women specifically, you need to get some help. Also no one knows the author's gender, stop saying it's a women as a defense.

Here's some of the rest of the story, at least as far as I've read:
  • Three Heroes Church is a religion founded in the kingdom out of racism towards demi-humans, who see the Shield Hero as their protector. They work with the racist king and brake several treaties set in place by the Queen in summoning the Heroes early and not showing equal favor.
  • The Princess steals from most of the cast, attempts to kill her mother & sister, sells her party members into slavery, etc.
  • The Queen holds the real power in the kingdom. Is away on a diplomatic mission and rescues the heroes from the Church. She offers to take her life if it could make up for the sins of her family members, to which Shield declines. She goes on to torture her Husband with Ice Magic, and places a slave curse on her daughter, preventing her from lying.
  • The King's younger sister was kidnapped/killed when they were young by officials from a demi-human kingdom. After meeting his nephew/niece, demi-humans themselves, he admits his mistakes and fully commits to the name: "Trash." He is the Staff Hero.
  • Fitoria, the Filolial Queen, threatens to kills the heroes herself if they can't get their acts together.
  • Sword Hero is the typical "cool" character who looks down on others, having his party train separately from him except when fighting a high exp enemy. He mocks the captain of the Queen's army and challenges her to a sword dual. As he is about to lose, rather than deal with the embarassment, he cheats using magic. After becoming possessed by Greed/Guiltony, the Army Captain re-duals him, and despite having weaker stats, defeats him. No longer able gain exp or money for using forbidden power, he apologizes and becomes the Captain's student, hoping to focus on improving his direct skills.
  • Bow Hero treats his party as a hierarchy with a girl who is in love with him at the bottom. He treats her like a servant before framing her for a crime she didn't commit. Shield takes it personally, rescuing her from committing suicide, and trains her fight. She eventually defeats the Bow after he becomes possessed by his own Pride, and helps him recover his lost sanity. She becomes the Projectile Hero (think knives/shurikens).

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Oh yeah, my bad... that does remind me of another anime that was super popular a few years ago.... Known as Re:Zero? I have heard that it is getting a second season or something.
Re:Zero just recently got a movie-length slice of life OVA in Japanese theaters a few months ago, and another OVA will be releasing (shorter-in length) that adapts a side-chapter that delves into how Emilia met Puck.

I don't see Season 2 happening until 2020 at the very least with the lack of news regarding a second season lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom