• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

:4mario:: "Luigi, don't forget to bring home the bacon from the supermarket."
:4luigi:: "But Mario, you can't say that it's mean to animals."
:4mario:: "No I literally mean bring home some bacon so I can cook it for our breakfast tomorrow."
:4luigi:: "How about I just bring home THE BAGEL instead?"
I have no idea what "bring home the bacon means" but I like "take the flowers by the thorn" much better than the bull one.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Glass culture. That's what this is trying to amount to. One day, we'll just stop talking altogether because its offensive.
In their limited defense:

- They are technically correct about the words and phrases we use coloring our perception of the literal concepts those refer to, in addition to whatever the turn of phrase is actually referencing. In order for them to be meaningful, they have to have their own connotation to draw that connection. For example, the phrase killing two birds with one stone implies a positive, efficient use of resources to solve multiple problems at once, but the metaphor only works if we consider killing multiple birds better than one, or indeed killing birds good at all. Technically.

- I have no problem with the first, second, and fifth metaphors. They're honestly kind of clever twists. I could go into a handful of positive connotations from the top one, for example - the focus on providing resources for a solution rather than removing an obstacle seems to imply a more collaborative, generous way of solving problems than the original phrase's combative tone. If it weren't presented by and therefore associated with PETA, I might even have been inclined to add it to my lexicon. As it stands I'll have to come up with something else.

The most important counterpoint being that I find this more interesting as a mental exercise in language specifically than I do any kind of reason to give a damn about the animals it references, and I find the notion of the turns of phrase being otherwise "speciesist" to be at best laughable and at worst insane.

And I'm still bringing home the bacon, because **** you PETA bacon is delicious.

Androobie

Banned via Warnings

:4mario:: "Luigi, don't forget to bring home the bacon from the supermarket."
:4luigi:: "But Mario, you can't say that it's mean to animals."
:4mario:: "No I literally mean bring home some bacon so I can cook it for our breakfast tomorrow."
:4luigi:: "How about I just bring home THE BAGEL instead?"
The hypocritical thing about these PETA folks is that they drink water. That's a fish's home, those sick ****s.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Any Assassination Classroom fans here?
I read Assassination Classroom during it's initial Japanese run (i.e. via Scanslations).

You know it kind of irks me that that image doesn't have Nagisa (the main character) at the very front of the crowd.

I don't care how popular Karma is compared to Nagisa, you put the main character in the front.
Im never replacing takinng the bull by the horns with that saying they want pff
I mean, nobody has to do anything PETA says.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
"Feed a Fed Horse"

That is more stupid than I thought anyone could ever make up...

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
You know a character I like to see in Smash but is never going to happen because some dreams can't become reality?

Klonoa.

I only played the Wii remake, which is apparantly not as liked as the original, but man, I still miss the guy.

Potato_

Smash Lord
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Who wants to guess the game? Could it maybe be Darkstalkers? Power Stone? Dino Crisis? An actually good VS game(Nintendo VS Capcom pls)? Nah, VIEWTIFUL JOE 3 CONFIRMED BABY!

*Meanwhile Capcom*
"They sure won't be expecting this right?"
I'm going all in on Viewtiful Joe. Been rumored for a while and his series has been real quiet for a while so it makes sense that no one would be expecting it.

you know

if it weren't for the rumors

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I didn’t even know alcoholic egg nog was a thing!
Really? I could have sworn the Cartons always said Non-alcoholic or Alcoholic right at the top...

But yeah, it's ****ing amazing either way.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I read Assassination Classroom during it's initial Japanese run (i.e. via Scanslations).

You know it kind of irks me that that image doesn't have Nagisa (the main character) at the very front of the crowd.

I don't care how popular Karma is compared to Nagisa, you put the main character in the front.
Poor Nagisa overshadowed by Karma who is a pretty ****ing kick ass character

i love Karma so much

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Really? I could have sworn the Cartons always said Non-alcoholic or Alcoholic right at the top...

But yeah, it's ****ing amazing either way.
Well I probably won’t try the alcoholic version cause I’m not a fan of drinking.

Since this is PETA, I was thinking instead of "feed two birds with one scone" it would be "kill two dogs with one freezer", but whatevs.
They could also say kill 2 birds with one scone since ****ing bread products are really bad for birds. Especially water fowl.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Here's the contents of the European version of the Smash Ultimate Limited Edition.

I'm happy the box is of a good build quality, that was my main concern. Feel a little more OK with blowing my money on this now. I need another GC Controller.

No Ken or Incineroar though.

D

Deleted member

Ok but what if the thing Kamiya and Capcom are teasing is The Viewtiful 101?

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Well I probably won’t try the alcoholic version cause I’m not a fan of drinking.
I'm with you but I think a sip or two here in there isn't bad.

As a matter of fact, if responsible with it, alcohol is really good for you.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
idk, I found take a flower by the thorns to be pretty stupid also
I'm pretty sure that one actually misses the point of what "take the bull by the horns" even means.

"To deal with a matter in a direct manner, especially to confront a difficulty rather than avoid it."

While it can have similar connotations: "Taking a flower by the thorns" is foolish, pointless and painful, along with the fact that there's an easier way to handle a flower, while there isn't an easier way to deal with a rampaging bull. It's something you don't want to do, but have to, while the flower one implies rashness and stupidity.

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
Here's the contents of the European version of the Smash Ultimate Limited Edition.

I'm happy the box is of a good build quality, that was my main concern. Feel a little more OK with blowing my money on this now. I need another GC Controller.

No Ken or Incineroar though.
As a Canadian I am INTENSELY jealous. That case looks amazing, and it comes with the gamecube adapter and controller. It's literally perfect.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
I'm with you but I think a sip or two here in there isn't bad.

As a matter of fact, if responsible with it, alcohol is really good for you.
Nah fam, it's bad. Least the current crop of studies is saying so.

But what's kinda jank for you physically can still be worthwhile socially, so.

"Taking a flower by the thorns" is foolish, pointless and painful, along with the fact that there's an easier way to handle a flower, while there isn't an easier way to deal with a rampaging bull.
Sure there is.

But boy, if PETA didn't like grabbing it's horns -
avi_presenting_highlander.png

- they're really gonna hate my plan.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Nah fam, it's bad. Least the current crop of studies is saying so.

But what's kinda jank for you physically can still be worthwhile socially, so.

Sure there is.

View attachment 181642

I mean if you drink it daily, yeah it's probably not good for you. I didn't necessarily mean daily, but I've heard certain drinks can be good for your kidneys, your stomach, etc.

D

Deleted member

Broke: VGA announcements
Woke: Etrian Odyssey Nexus Mapping Trailer
Atlus knows what the fans want

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I'm pretty sure that one actually misses the point of what "take the bull by the horns" even means.

"To deal with a matter in a direct manner, especially to confront a difficulty rather than avoid it."

While it can have similar connotations: "Taking a flower by the thorns" is foolish, pointless and painful, along with the fact that there's an easier way to handle a flower, while there isn't an easier way to deal with a rampaging bull. It's something you don't want to do, but have to, while the flower one implies rashness and stupidity.
unless the flower has a gun, knife or sword and it trying to kill me, it isnt a good replacement lol
View attachment 181642

"Gotta milk the dairy cow by the utters"
Atlus knows what the fans want
yeah, more persona and SMT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom