• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
It's funny to read back on old Nintenzone threads. I mean like back in the day when people didn't like me/found me annoying and me butting heads with some here.

Funny a lot of people who didn't like me back then i'm on good terms with now.
Like any people in particular?

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Sony really did this franchise dirty.

Sent out GravRush 2 out to die in a front loaded month.
They also released the physical version of the first game’s remaster as an Amazon exclusive with limited stock. Making it very rare, and probably made newcomers hesitant to pick up the sequel because the first game wasn’t easily available.

:upsidedown:

Fun.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I had to come back online to set-up my Switch (which finally got here). I've played a little bit of Mario Odyssey, and slowly getting a hang of the controls (I still need to commit the dive actions to muscle memory).

I'll tackle these one at a time.
The thing about Gohan is that he doesn't really like to fight, so he doesn't train for fighting unless he needs to, at least not until after Resurrection F. Even if his Potential was unlocked, if he doesn't keep up with his training his body will weaken, and likely, so will his connection to his Ki. After Resurrection F, he realised that if he allowed himself to get too soft, then there might come a time when Goku and Vegeta aren't there, and he's the third strongest fighter, so what then? Now he trains to protect the things he cares about.

With Master Roshi, one of the things about the series is that, even when someone thinks they've reached their limit, they can always push a little harder (basically the running theme of the Tournament of Power). In Dragon Ball, Master Roshi thought he was as strong as he could be, but Goku, Krillin and Tien showed themselves to be able to surpass what Master Roshi thought was the limits of mortal men, so he started training in secret (Goku even says this in Super, I believe it was in the Yurin episode, something along the lines of "So you've been training in Secret, huh, Master Roshi?")

About training for the Androids, Piccolo, Krillin and Tien did get way stronger (Piccolo wouldn't have been able to deal with Dr. Gero like he did otherwise), they were probably stronger than Goku's base level (in theory), it's just that Goku also has Super Saiyan (a 50x multiplier) so Goku can become multiple times stronger in an instant.

Finally, regarding Piccolo, Tien and Yamcha not learning King Kai's techniques, they were only on King Kai's planet for half the time Goku was there (Goku was on the planet for a whole year, while I think Tien, who I believe was revived last, was only there for about 6 months, Piccolo was only there for about the time it took for Bulma, Krillin and Gohan to reach Namek, which I think was a few weeks). Piccolo barely even engaged with King Kai in the short time he was there, just meditating under the 10x Gravity inherent to the Planet. At best, Tien probably learned either the Kaioken or the Spirit Bomb, but not both, and has never actually needed to use the one he did learn; I'd assume he learned the Spirit Bomb, if he learned either at all.
Not refuting much because you're spot-on, except the fact that Goku was not there for a full year. The saiyans took a year to get to Earth, but Goku spent about five months with King Kai after having to travel Snake Way, and started when he had a power level of like... was it 350? I don't feel like looking it up. But due to training for the saiyans, the Z gang had become much stronger than Goku was when he started down the Snake Way path, as King Kai said, so they already had a head start before they even started training under ten times normal gravity.

The other thing is that we actually have no idea how strong Gero is. He didn't know about Namek and the super saiyan transformation, he only knew about Goku's fight against Vegeta. With that in mind, the highest power we can safely assume for Androids 19 and 20 are "higher than Kaioken x4 Goku when he fought Vegeta". It could be that they're as strong as a super saiyan, since Gero clearly showed the capacity to do so with 16, 17 and 18, but we aren't shown a ton of evidence for anything significantly stronger. Goku was beating 19 very handily despite an oncoming heart attack, and Vegeta as a super saiyan-- who should be much less powerful than Goku at this point since their base powers were so vastly different before Vegeta died-- was so far above 19 that he let him suck a large portion of his ki before destroying him anyway.

What I'm getting at is that the three years training for the androids did make everyone stronger, but we have absolutely no frame of reference for just how strong because none of them fought the same enemy that Goku or Vegeta did in one on one combat except Piccolo fighting 17 (same as 18, close enough) after fusing with Kami and Tien stalling Cell with his Kikoho (which, if I remember correctly, was only like two or three shots in the manga and not the, what, fifteen? in the anime for filler). With that in mind, Piccolo beating Gero handily pre-Kami-fusion might not be as impressive as we assume. They can't feel Gero's ki so no one's able to confirm his actual power level; we just see him get walloped then one-shot-KO'd by 17 very effortlessly.

EDIT: Also, something that comes to mind that bothers me about Super's approach to "training" in general, just to throw this up for discussion.

I. Hate. The idea of "I've been secretly training on my own" having any substantial effect on one's power. Dragonball has shown in action that greater heights in power are achieved by facing a stronger threat and rising to the occasion. One needs that opposition to fight against and grow. Roshi, 17 and Tien all "training offscreen" is such a cop out to me. Yes, Roshi could continue training in secret, neato. But he didn't fight Buu. Or Cell. Or the androids. Or Frieza. Or the Ginyu Force. Or even a freaking saiyan. What exactly has he done to make up the large gaps in power on his own without a training partner to work against? Fire Kamehamehas at the ocean? Same goes for 17; he's adamant about not disturbing the wildlife and he barely sees his sister anymore, so who was he training with? The animals? He doesn't want to create craters or destroy trees, so where did he exhaust his power? What frame of reference does he have for even improving? Is he just working his mechanical parts with endless pushups?

In DB and DBZ, large growths in power are justified and explained onscreen via story elements and conflicts. Even when they're cop outs (hyperbolic time chamber, fusing, zenkai boost, etc.) they at least have a story explanation. "I've been training while you weren't looking," to me, is just incredibly lazy. And it's a large reason for why I don't like Super as much as most.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Saw this on ERA and damn, the recency bias is real.

Fallout 76 being a mess of a game was expected and hilarious at best and ****ing awful at worst, but Battlefront 2 literally made news headlines and got the FBI involved into investigating the lootbox bull****.

I'd even argue NMS at launch was more notoriously panned than F76 is right now.
I would’ve gone for NMS as a bigger disaster

Potato_

Smash Lord
EDIT: Also, something that comes to mind that bothers me about Super's approach to "training" in general, just to throw this up for discussion.

I. Hate. The idea of "I've been secretly training on my own" having any substantial effect on one's power. Dragonball has shown in action that greater heights in power are achieved by facing a stronger threat and rising to the occasion. One needs that opposition to fight against and grow. Roshi, 17 and Tien all "training offscreen" is such a cop out to me. Yes, Roshi could continue training in secret, neato. But he didn't fight Buu. Or Cell. Or the androids. Or Frieza. Or the Ginyu Force. Or even a freaking saiyan. What exactly has he done to make up the large gaps in power on his own without a training partner to work against? Fire Kamehamehas at the ocean? Same goes for 17; he's adamant about not disturbing the wildlife and he barely sees his sister anymore, so who was he training with? The animals? He doesn't want to create craters or destroy trees, so where did he exhaust his power? What frame of reference does he have for even improving? Is he just working his mechanical parts with endless pushups?

In DB and DBZ, large growths in power are justified and explained onscreen via story elements and conflicts. Even when they're cop outs (hyperbolic time chamber, fusing, zenkai boost, etc.) they at least have a story explanation. "I've been training while you weren't looking," to me, is just incredibly lazy. And it's a large reason for why I don't like Super as much as most.

Oh I hate it too, I think 17 was the most egregious example of it.

"I'm a park ranger now. Oh also I've kept up my training."

Oh that sounds cool, he'll probably be pretty useful.

cue fight where he keeps up with ****ing SUPER SAIYAN BLUE GOKU

...what? I mean I get he was enhanced as an android and is definitely strong, but to keep up with godly power is just insane. Were these poachers going after the animals ****ing Cell level or something for him to be pushed this far?

I like 17 as a character, and his return was one of the best parts of Super, but I can only keep my suspension of belief up for a certain level of plot convenience.

I don't even mind Roshi's power as much because at least that can be explained, albeit in a very poor way. But 17? There's no explanation for him being that level. No amount of training with the resources available to him would make him that powerful.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Japanese cartoons shouldn't be allowed to make me cry like this
Screenshot_20181130-210125.png

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
We interrupt your Nintenzone to bring you this largely unimportant message:

RED'S GOT A NEW PHONE MOTHER****ERS.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Nintenzone, already in progress.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
We interrupt your Nintenzone to bring you this largely unimportant message:

RED'S GOT A NEW PHONE MOTHER****ERS.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Nintenzone, already in progress.
I might get a new phone soon. My iPhone 6s is beginning to show it's age.

What does everyone think of the Android Galaxy S8?

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Hey fam.

Uh.

Not doing great this morning. No reason I wanna talk about, just mental stuff.

Feel both dumb and selfish asking, but...anyone got, like, something uplifting handy?

Dumb joke or good vibes or cute animal or something. Dunno. Not picky.
Sorry if I'm late on this...

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
Open question: is it possible to play with the Switch GC controller with the adapter (the new one that came out earlier this moth) plugged into the Switch being in portable mode? I really wanna know, as I'm heavily considering purchasing the GC controller because I may be switching from the Wii U Pro controller (which I played Sm4sh with). My main issue is that, in the timeline where I purchase the GC controller, since I can't afford buying the Power A GC controller in addition, I may or may not be unable to play with the wired GC controller on the go. Also, is it hard adapting to the GC controller if you're used to the Wii U Pro (I've never played with one)?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Like any people in particular?
Well actually you I think lol.

I think there was a time when you didn't like me. But now we're tight which is awesome.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Yeah...

Will probably tell when I feel better about it.

I think Hat knows what I'm talking about tho.
Well that’s entirely up to you.

Well actually you I think lol.

I think there was a time when you didn't like me. But now we're tight which is awesome.
So I’m the classic antagonist turned ally then, eh?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Oh and The Stoopid Unikorn The Stoopid Unikorn IDK what's up but whatever it is i'm wishing you all the best.
This is my new favorite tweet
team rocket deserves better
This is my new favorite tweet
team rocket deserves better
That explains a lot lol.

Although the TR trio did become badass during the Unova arc but then they went back to comic relief again. The writing in the anime is wack. :dizzy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom