• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Yo, I gotta a question for y'all TV Tropes lovers. (Paging @Shishœ Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei @Prince Alucard @Coricus who are experts at this stuff lol).

Is there a specific trope for an ex-hero that's the main villain of the story? Like said villain by the time of the events of the story is already a crazed Misanthrope Supreme but in the distant past (referred to in the story's events) was a hero to mankind and fought to save humanity...only to become the very thing he fought against.

That's more or less the plotpoint of a story I have in my head lol.
Hi, unexpected trope expert here. In regards to your question, there are a couple that I can think of.

Break the Cutie or Corrupt the Cutie, Became Their Own Antithesis, Face-Heel Turn, Protagonist Journey to Villain, Morality Adjustment, Took a Level in Cynic, or Broken Bird.

Could be caused by a Despair Event Horizon or Heroic B.S.O.D. (Blue Screen of Death), Cynicism Catalyst, etc.

Which one you want depends on the severity of the event and how much of a villain the character is.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
In before you get one shot by an enemy.
:(
Brb, settin my mood to XC2 at the Game Awards 2018.
Yeah that question was in reference to the plotline for a story i'm working on. I asked some what trope said character would fall under and some gave different answers (all of which are accurate on some level)

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

Yeah that question was in reference to the plotline for a story i'm working on. I asked some what trope said character would fall under and some gave different answers (all of which are accurate on some level)
Well I mean you are a healer, you can onlywear light armour so it’s not impossible for it to happen.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

So yeah, kinda TL:DR lol. Read if you care.
- Story is set in the medieval times kinda similar to Fire Emblem but also like The Legend of Zelda/Castlevania. The setting is sort of a Crapsack World where many of the nobles are Selfish Jerkasses who's main priority is obtaining power and have no reservations starting wars to acquire resources or are straight up Sycophants who are Slimy Opportunists.
- Character grows up in poverty as a child, becomes a knight and eventually becomes the most powerful warrior in his land. His potential is recognized by the king and he becomes good friends with the prince as well as falling in love with one of the noble mages.
- A huge war breaks out that pits humanity against dragons (think something like "The Scouring" from FE6/FE7) and said character wields a blade from the gods (all that divine **** and "chosen by destiny") that allows him to end the dragon advance and save humanity from annihilation, thus becoming the saviour of mankind in the process.
- A tragic event takes place where said character is manipulated in to doing something that causes the death of his loved one and worst of all, he's made to be blamed and thrown in to exile.
- In there, he realizes how messed up the world is for throwing him, an innocent man to die a death as well as his loved one after he had worked so hard to save the human race from extinction; questions the sanity of everyone as well as the gods who chose them as their "hero". Character swears revenge against humanity whom he believes "stabbed him in the back" and learns of the black arts; becoming something of a demi-god himself. Said character also becomes something of a cult-like figure who amasses supporters for his twisted goal of ending the human race and creating a new world order where he would be worshiped as a god.
- Character is brought down by his once close ally (said prince) who brings about all the nations of the world to put an end to his ambition and is killed. However, his cult lives on and his ideology is worshiped for the ages to come.
- Countless ages later, his cult manages to resurrect him through a spell left secret for ages (after numerous failed attempts). Said character once again attempts to end humanity only now more powerful than ever. And that's where the actual story beigns when the descendant of the prince sets out to stop the character (who ironically enough would go on to wield the same blade, chosen by the gods as well to put an end to the character for good).
I might or might not have ripped off a lot of plotpoints from a lot of iconic games lol (looking at you LoZ, FE, and CV).

So IDK what trope said character would fall under. Tragic Hero would be the best fit I guess.
Okay this makes more sense.

That's either a Face-Heel Turn or Became Their Own Antithesis.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
15 days left until the Ultimate game comes out.
Meaning 15 more days worth of "Ultimate" puns.

How are you all doing on this fine night/day? I'm just chowing down on a chocolate doughnut before I start the final entry in the Megaman Zero series.
For the fifth time. :seuss:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Holy **** that's the literal textbook trope I was looking for to describe my character lol. I knew I had my finger on it but I wasn't able to think of it, getting it confused with "he who fights monsters". Nice find!

*casts auto-revive out of paranoia*
I can spend hours on TVtropes lol. I love looking at all the tropes and how my favorite movies, shows, video games, etc use them.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Here's a question.

In RPGs. healers are often necessary but boring.

How would you feel about your main healer being a healer/theif hybrid?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I can spend hours on TVtropes lol. I love looking at all the tropes and how my favorite movies, shows, video games, etc use them.
Same. It's my addiction lol.
Here's a question.

That's a nice blend.

Another idea I thought of is a healer/swordsmen hybrid. Can do all that fancy swordplay jazz but also does the healing stuff and all.

Last edited:

Chrono.

God my friend already watched the couple of S3 Riverdale episodes that are out and he says it gets wilder (and they started introducing supernatural elements which isn't terribly surprising since the Netflix Sabrina show by the same writers and staff said they take place in the same world.)

Iridium

Smash Hero
God my friend already watched the couple of S3 Riverdale episodes that are out and he says it gets wilder (and they started introducing supernatural elements which isn't terribly surprising since the Netflix Sabrina show by the same writers and staff said they take place in the same world.)
Because I'm curious, what exactly is this show about? Yeah, I'm just curious.

Chrono.

Here's a question.

Yeah I'll take that.

One thing I liked from XC2 is how almost everyone had healing options so you could just not run a straight up vanilla Healer (Nia) if you wanted to.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Yeah I'll take that.

One thing I liked from XC2 is how almost everyone had healing options so you could just not run a straight up vanilla Healer (Nia) if you wanted to.
Nia pretty much becomes kinda obsolete after Crithra and Avant-Garde Medals enter the scene lol.

Then it becomes useful again in challenges

Then Fiocrit appears

Also KOS-MOS

Last edited:

Dannish

Smash Apprentice
Same. It's my addiction lol.

That's a nice blend.

Another idea I thought of is a healer/swordsmen hybrid. Can do all that fancy swordplay jazz but also does the healing stuff and all.
That's just a paladin.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Here's a question.

Aren't Bards like that in some games? Like I know in D&D, they use regular Arcane magic alongside their songs, but aren't there some games where the Bard is rogue-like, but also a healer? That said, the idea of a healer that could avoid aggro sounds gamebreaking depending on the gameplay.

Last edited:

Chrono.

Because I'm curious, what exactly is this show about? Yeah, I'm just curious.
When local rich kid Jason Blossom unexpectedly dies in an accident, it's quickly found out that he was actually murdered. As the investigation of the murder is underway lots of very dark secrets of the supposedly perfect small-town, Riverdale, start to come to light. With the main characters getting involved in the mystery, whether willingly or not.

The first couple episodes are kinda weird and slightly "cringy". But after that they start focusing on the murder mystery much more.

It's kinda hard to describe well without getting into spoilers lol.
Nia pretty much becomes kinda obsolete after Crithra and Avant-Garde Medals enter the scene lol.

Then Fiocrit appears

Also KOS-MOS
Even before that, main game XC2 is flexible enough that you can just bench her and be fine. Rex himself is pretty self sufficient.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
When local rich kid Jason Blossom unexpectedly dies in an accident, it's quickly found out that he was actually murdered. As the investigation of the murder is underway lots of very dark secrets of the supposedly perfect small-town, Riverdale, start to come to light. With the main characters getting involved in the mystery, whether willingly or not.

The first couple episodes are kinda weird and slightly "cringy". But after that they start focusing on the murder mystery much more.

It's kinda hard to describe well without getting into spoilers lol.

Even before that, main game XC2 is flexible enough that you can just bench her and be fine. Rex himself is pretty self sufficient.
Only a monster would bench Nia.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Thanksgiving approaches tomorrow.

After that I gotta finish packing up for a Christmas vacation.

Then I'll return home and there's gonna be lots of decorating and shopping.

And sometime after the beginning of the New Year, I'll be looking to get a job.

This holiday season is gonna be looooooong..... but also tons of fun, lol. Methinks I'll need it, I'm a bit nervous about the job part.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Let’s all become heels to kill off all the faces we don’t like

Androobie

Banned via Warnings
I'm an Imagine Dragons fan. I love their band, but after Evolve I feared that they were losing their touch.

But I don't have that fear anymore. Origins is growing on me, and I'm once again thoroughly invested in their music. <3
I can’t get more thoroughly invested into my favorite artist’s music than I already am because the guy is ****ing dead and the only new material we’re going to get is Sony eventually starting to drip feed us unreleased singles every dozen or so months, not to mention some ****ty remixes every so often. Isn’t it great?

C7B4EB17-98E4-422D-8EFE-A12BEDBB1DAA.jpeg

Iridium

Smash Hero
I can’t get more thoroughly invested into my favorite artist’s music than I already am because the guy is ****ing dead and the only new material we’re going to get is Sony eventually starting to drip feed us unreleased singles every dozen or so months, not to mention some ****ty remixes every so often. Isn’t it great?

View attachment 179071
I mean, a band I'm really getting into, Death, is pretty much done, after their frontman, Chuck Schuldiner, died 17 years ago from a terrible sickness. Their material is really good, but I'll never see the guys reunite at this point, and I'm upset.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700

Then Fiocrit appears

Also KOS-MOS
Wow guys, how could you say that about Nia?

Don't you both know that she is always useful and that if you don't think so, you're just bad at the game?/s

ThrowawayBoi

Banned via Warnings

View attachment 179071
sounded like you needed to let out some emotions there sweetheart lmao

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Still beats being a Smashing Pumpkins fan.

They're threatening a Christmas album.

Chrono.

Wow guys, how could you say that about Nia?

Don't you both know that she is always useful and that if you don't think so, you're just bad at the game?/s
To be fair I do think she's useful lol (and use her plenty.)

It's just that the game allows enough leeway to just go with whatever you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom