• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I really would like to know this thread's opinion on fangames like AM2R
Fan games are a sign of fans being passionate about the stuff their fan game is about.

Nintendo booting those games is a sign of them not giving a **** about their audience, which isn't exactly a good message to give to others...

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
One person purchasing your pirated game means one less person purchasing the original game
Except it literally doesn't. It has the potential to happen but more often than not, if a person pirates a game, they go on to buy it or at the very least, future installments in the series or other games by the company. Some people pirate a game they would never pay money to play, so in that sense, it isn't a "lost sale" because it was a sale that was never going to happen (I did this recently with the original Splatoon - there is no point in buying that game full price in 2018). And of course there are other issues like games that aren't available anymore, games not available in your country on a console that is region locked, etc.

Instead, you're stealing customers. You're also stealing money since the cash that could've been in Nintendo's hands for their game is instead on yours.
Again, you can't guarantee that every instance of piracy is from a person who would have otherwise bought the game.

And frankly, whether or not a greedy corporation gets my money for something is the least of my concern. Nintendo is sitting on war chests of money that they don't know what to do with (not even joking, Nintendo could stop making money now and would have enough to keep up their current services and production rate, and wouldn't become bankrupt until the 2050's). I buy their most new and currently relevant content, but I'm at a point where no, I don't really care if they technically dripfeed some retro games here and there and expect me to buy them for every system, and I don't care if they still sell obsolete Wii U games at full price on the eShop on a system that doesn't have the hard drive space to store them. There are better options that are available to me than what the provide, so I will take those instead. That's how the consumer market works.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I really would like to know this thread's opinion on fangames like AM2R
Never really cared for Metroid till recently, but

The Pokémon ones are my terroritory.

Uranium was great, amazing music hit or miss fakemon but the story was fine. Like how can you not like this track:

I have no idea why they shut down prism but it shouldn’t have happened.

Reborn is also amazing and hopefully makes it through its last two episodes.

And if you haven’t, try Pokémon desolation[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Except it literally doesn't. It has the potential to happen but more often than not, if a person pirates a game, they go on to buy it or at the very least, future installments in the series or other games by the company. Some people pirate a game they would never pay money to play, so in that sense, it isn't a "lost sale" because it was a sale that was never going to happen (I did this recently with the original Splatoon - there is no point in buying that game full price in 2018). And of course there are other issues like games that aren't available anymore, games not available in your country on a console that is region locked, etc.

Again, you can't guarantee that every instance of piracy is from a person who would have otherwise bought the game.

And frankly, whether or not a greedy corporation gets my money for something is the least of my concern. Nintendo is sitting on war chests of money that they don't know what to do with (not even joking, Nintendo could stop making money now and would have enough to keep up their current services and production rate, and wouldn't become bankrupt until the 2050's). I buy their most new and currently relevant content, but I'm at a point where no, I don't really care if they technically dripfeed some retro games here and there and expect me to buy them for every system, and I don't care if they still sell obsolete Wii U games at full price on the eShop on a system that doesn't have the hard drive space to store them. There are better options that are available to me than what the provide, so I will take those instead. That's how the consumer market works.
To add onto this, I would never have gotten into RPGs and Zelda if it weren't for me emulating SNES games. I wouldn't have been able to give money to Nintendo because I would have no reason to. Hell, I doubt I would have even become that big of a FE fan had I not played FE6 through FE8. Now I'm buying their consoles and games at full price.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
didnt one pokemon fangame get shut down because the stupids, Im sorry, dudes had a patreon for the game?
That was Pokémon zero. The people behind it we’re the dumbest greed seekers out there. They wanted money for a game they didn’t do anything with in a five year span

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325

Why are you being so condescending? :'/

The number of people pirating without buying is likely at least equal to the number who pirate and buy. Even if it's a game people wouldn't pay to play, it's still a lost sale because it's a person enjoying the game for free. Even if the sale was unlikely to happen, that one pirate can cause a loss of other sales via word of mouth or messaging online. And piracy is similar to how demos more often than not take away sales rather than increase them. Someone may pirate a game they were going to buy and decide not to buy it.

You also cannot guarantee that in most instances of piracy, someone would go on to buy the game. You say that that's how the consumer market works, but it still doesn't change how piracy is stealing, as it is causing a loss for the other party. It's stealing by definition and it's stealing by any technicality.

Natz~

Full of Hugs and Fire~
uuuuugh morning hits and haven't even started work and i'm already tired from exercising :tired: my left arm feels dead

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I posted about Yuzu's (one of two Nintendo Switch emulators in development) progression in the Xenoblade subreddit yesterday and before long, was swamped with negative feedback about how this is "enabling piracy" and "will decrease Switch sales" by a bunch of Nintendo fanboys.
Probably because 1. you post it in a Xenoblade reddit page... so there will be bunch of fanboys there 2. I might need the link to check out your post... I want to see how you talk about the emulation. If you say this emulation will make Xenoblade 2 look and play better than on the Switch you bet some will disagree, pretty sure there are some people who gives out legit objections. 3. Try not to simplify those who disagree with your post as "Nintendo fanboys"

Nintendo, on the other hand, refuse to answer even the most simple demands when it comes to their back catalog. They drip feed and overcharge for their retro games. They make you buy the same game multiple times across their family of systems rather than unifying them.
Are you talking abut Virtual Console when it comes to buy the same game multiple times? It sounds like it. You know that many people were disappointed that Virtual Console isn't coming back right?
And while the Online Service may not sound great if it's really just getting one NES game per month (And then take it back...), hopefully the best case scenario is Nintendo using the service to distribute those games in a Netflix-like way but that's just me being optimistic...

I'd gladly take an emulator that could run Xenoblade Chronicles 2 at 4K 60FPS on my PC, over a Switch, any day of the week.
And while I know I am sounding like fricking broken record when it comes to this, but I'm completely 180 when it comes to this.

I will play XC2 on my Switch than on an emulator on PC anyday. Then again don't get me wrong here, I will prefer to play games on PC, such as Fortnite Wolfenstein and DOOM... if I can even afford a decent PC though.

It's literally no different than buying a PS4 to play DOOM as opposed to a Switch.
That's totally not the case if you uh... consider the portability... even though that's super obvious and not everyone will care about. And since PS4 tends to block cross play, when it comes to games with multiplayer like Fortnite, Minecraft, Rocket League and maybe DOOM, it's better to buy the PC version or the Xbox One version as a graphic-oriented choice to cross play with other platforms.

One more thing to share,
I once mentioned that I actually have a moded Wii that can play pirated Wii games, and I got loads of it...

However... in order for the Wii to read the game, you need a third party DVD read connected to the Wii since the software uloader that reads pirated games since it can not read the CDs that are directly inserted to the console.

And also depending on which kind of the file you got... some games works ok while some needs to tweaks to make it work, like our Brawl copy... and down side is that all cutscenes in the game are just the scene where Pikachu and Zero Suit Samus was trying to get Samus' suit.

So maybe that was because I never really found a well ROM download site... but many pirated games I got... were either have limited function, or just crash easily...

And I just saw Blue Hunter Z's post... and I notice your earlier which is also interesting to look at.
As someone who passionately disagrees with Nintendo's stance on emulation and ROM distribution, I don't think there is anything wrong with buying their games.

The decision to chase down ROM sites is a Nintendo corporate decision, not one made by developers (which would be Sakurai in the case of Smash Ultimate). And while the corporate bigwigs are getting a cut of that purchase, I do still believe developers deserve a return for their work, especially if it's a good game.
It never was wrong to buy Nintendo games, and as someone who wasn't fond with emulation and ROM but still has the past experience of using it... I won't disagree with Nintendo's decision nor I will defend it though... I just think Nintendo is wasting their time on taking down those ROMs and emulators and I'm not linking it to how they are distributing their retro games, that's a whole other topic to talk about in my opinion.

So yeah TL;DR you're allowed to buy what you want.

Maybe this tweet I made yesterday is relevant now.
As for your Tweet, kind of funny when you particularly say Nintendo's fanbase's toxicity and hivemind... when like any community in general has those lol. Hell even on this website I have seen some toxicity and especially that hivemind from time to time.Of course you are a Nintendo fan but I often just see some of your opinions just well... aren't really looking at a bigger scope at times at least from my stance.

Also, from my friend back in US when I ask why he mod his 3DS, he said he only mod games consoles... when Nintendo screws him over, which apparently they did on Pokemon... so yeah... that's that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

uuuuugh morning hits and haven't even started work and i'm already tired from exercising :tired: my left arm feels dead
Hey, excising is good!

I am just doing nothing and waiting for this painful thing that I have to go away.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Why are you being so condescending? :'/

The number of people pirating without buying is likely at least equal to the number who pirate and buy. Even if it's a game people wouldn't pay to play, it's still a lost sale because it's a person enjoying the game for free. Even if the sale was unlikely to happen, that one pirate can cause a loss of other sales via word of mouth or messaging online. And piracy is similar to how demos more often than not take away sales rather than increase them. Someone may pirate a game they were going to buy and decide not to buy it.

You also cannot guarantee that in most instances of piracy, someone would go on to buy the game. You say that that's how the consumer market works, but it still doesn't change how piracy is stealing, as it is causing a loss for the other party. It's stealing by definition and it's stealing by any technicality.
I'm not being condescending, I'm just laying the reality of the situation out.

You say that the number of people "pirating games and not buying them" is "likely" equal to those who do buy later, but that assumption is worthless in this discussion because you can't provide a tangible number, and it doesn't really change the fact that there are people who do buy later, which means piracy still isn't 100% bad.

And I already made a post detailing how it's purposefully ignorant and obtuse to compare piracy and stealing. They are not the same thing. Basic logic dictates that.

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Thanks for bringing back the piracy talk, as now I can post this:
Arrgh!_title_card.png

Ok, keep scrolling.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
I'm not being condescending, I'm just laying the reality of the situation out.

You say that the number of people "pirating games and not buying them" is "likely" equal to those who do buy later, but that assumption is worthless in this discussion because you can't provide a tangible number, and it doesn't really change the fact that there are people who do buy later, which means piracy still isn't 100% bad.

And I already made a post detailing how it's purposefully ignorant and obtuse to compare piracy and stealing. They are not the same thing. Basic logic dictates that.
No. There's a difference between being condescending and "laying the reality of the situation out." You're saying outright that people are being not only ignorant and obtuse, but purposefully. We're allowed to have our own opinions. Just because they're different from what you dictate doesn't mean it's wrong. You're a poster on this forum just like the rest of us, you're no better than us and you're certainly not in the position to act as hoity-toity as you are.

You've made posts to Swamp and Stoopid, but your assumptions must be worthless too, because so far, you have not provided a tangible number, and it doesn't change the fact that there are people who in fact change their mind from "buy" to "not buy", which means piracy is still bad.

Even now, with your last sentence, you're implying that I and others are lacking basic logic. That's being condescending.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Thanks for bringing back the piracy talk, as now I can post this:
View attachment 158177

Ok, keep scrolling.
My only complaint is some people tends to be one sided when it comes to piracy VS Nintendo talk...

As for you Mythra,by looking with how XC2 discuss often becomes here... as always when you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. lol

There is no exact bad guy and good guy here when it comes to this, both sides have legit reasons for their actions.

Check out these videos to find out why:

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So unless I'm ridiculously ****ing lucky, I got screwed out of nearly 300 euros which is what caused last night's panic attack in case anyone was wondering. My passport's expired and the replacement comes in September because the French ambassador's taking some weeks off. This is important because I have tickets for gamescon next week and that's in Germany

D

Deleted member

My only complaint is some people seems to be one sided when it comes to piracy VS Nintendo talk...

There is no bad guy and good guy here when it comes to this, both sides have legit reasons for their actions.
It is just a meme, no need to take it seriously. :laugh:

Mythra posting memes is like my vitamins.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
It is just a meme, no need to take it seriously. :laugh:

Mythra posting memes is like my vitamins.
Um... I think Mythra is just try to gloss off a "controversial" topic with memes... and that's okay.

However, hear me out, trying to debate by using meme in this kind of topic, doesn't make you look humorous but rather make you look like you aren't even want to bother... which actually is not a good thing.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
We're allowed to have our own opinions.
"Piracy = stealing" is not an opinionated matter, it's objectively wrong to say they are the same thing.

This is like saying "milk and water are the same thing, don't tell me I'm wrong, it's my opinion man!".

your assumptions must be worthless too
Except I didn't make any. It's not an assumption to say that I have pirated games that I then went on to buy in the future, or continued to buy the future installments in that series. It's not an assumption for me to say that I know there are plenty of other people who do, when I know plenty of people who have, both in my personal life and online. Shishœ literally said that was the case for them right after I made my point, too.

At the end of the day, neither of us know for a fact how every single individual person in the world handles their piracy. So it's not really a worthwhile basis for discerning whether or not piracy is good or bad. All we can say is that there are genuine reasons, and tangible benefits for both the consumer and publisher, to piracy. It's sometimes bad, sometimes good. That's just the reality of it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Um... I think Mythra is just try to gloss off a "controversial" topic with memes... and that's okay.

However, hear me out, trying to debate by using meme in this kind of topic, doesn't make you look humorous but rather make you look like you aren't even want to bother... which actually is not a good thing.
It is not always a bad thing to use a meme during an argument.

I spoke with Mythra before, his memes are here just to make everyone smile and for attention, not to cause controversy.

Plus, he is not taking sides or mocking anyone. Just letting out a good meme to make everyone fine. Just like how Opossum chose his title.

Do not think about it too much. Mythra is fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Why is there an argument about emulation and pirates going on anyway? Something recently happen relating to it?

D

Deleted member

All right. Here is how I see it.

Nintendo has the right to sue these ROM stuff. It is their property being given to others freely. While the price sounds high, I agree that the ROM people deserve some kind of justice.

The problem is, if Nintendo wants to tackle down pirating, than they need to find a better way to give us access to these older games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom