• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So it's pretentious to not condone piracy? And you're a Nintendo fanboy if you don't condone piracy?

And SEGA forum? That forum is absolute garbage and has been for a while with next to no moderation as you can tell by the gaming sections there. Not only that, it's kinda a dead site at this point with tons of bots spamming it all the time.

And...if the mods who I know are still active there, it certainly is against the ToS with 100% certainty.
It just so happens that a lot of people who are indiscriminately against piracy are also the kind of people who are overtly loyal to a company and that is usually Nintendo fans, that's what I meant.

And yeah, I think it is pretentious to indiscriminately demonise piracy. There are objectively reasonable motivations for it that I already outlined. In many cases it's the only way to even get a game. Scott Pilgrim VS The World is a fantastic example. It was released as a digital only game, so you can't buy it second hand. But the licence for the game expired so it was removed from all digital storefronts completely. I bought the game when it came out, but if I delete it from my PS3 or my hard drive fails or something, then that game that I legally purchased cannot be reclaimed as it has been wiped from the PS Store. So I can only play it again if I pirate it.

Also lol, I said "a SEGA forum", not specifically SEGA Forum.

Last edited:

Jojalole

Henshin a go go baby!
Switch FC
SW 7943 9867 0675

Blaze and Silver, finally. But RIP team Chaotix, no Espio? (No one cares about Charmy lol)

I'm still on the fence with this game, it's just Sonic&Sega All Stars Racing but slower and only with Sonic characters... Still I like having Blaze being acknowledged and I want to see her interactions with the rest of the cast, so I guess I'll keep an eye on it and wait for reviews.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Blaze and Silver, finally. But RIP team Chaotix, no Espio? (No one cares about Charmy lol)

I'm still on the fence with this game, it's just Sonic&Sega All Stars Racing but slower and only with Sonic characters... Still I like having Blaze being acknowledged and I want to see her interactions with the rest of the cast, so I guess I'll keep an eye on it and wait for reviews.
Time to main Blaze, at long last.

D

Deleted member

It just so happens that a lot of people who are indiscriminately against piracy are also the kind of people who are overtly loyal to a company and that is usually Nintendo fans, that's what I meant.

And yeah, I think it is pretentious to indiscriminately demonise piracy. There are objectively reasonable motivations for it that I already outlined. In many cases it's the only way to even get a game. Scott Pilgrim VS The World is a fantastic example. It was released as a digital only game, so you can't buy it second hand. But the licence for the game expired so it was removed from all digital storefronts completely. I bought the game when it came out, but if I delete it from my PS3 or my hard drive fails or something, then that game that I legally purchased cannot be reclaimed as it has been wiped from the PS Store. So I can only play it again if I pirate it.
So in other words, it's justified to steal as long as you have a personal reason to do so. Why not just admit the act you are doing isn't the most morally correct, even if it is understandable? Condemning Nintendo for protecting their property is a hogwash mindset to me. It is their moral right to protect their property.

Before Nintendo got their first party titles removed from Emuparadise, nearly all the top games downloaded on that site were

Super Mario World
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario RPG
The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past
Banjo Kazooie
Star Fox 64

The list goes on, and even right now with their games removed for over a year, the likes of Chrono Trigger and Mega Man X are on there. Mega Man X has been available on Wii for many years until it shut down, but is also available on PS2 and Gamecube via X Collection, is available on Super Nintendo Classic. It is also available on Wii U and 3DS.

Banjo Kazooie is very easy to purchase the original cartridge for N64 for, but you can also buy it on Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

Super Mario RPG was available on Wii for many years until the service shut down, but is also available on Wii U to this day and SNES Classic.

Mario All-Stars and Super Mario World is available in a plethora of ways, including a disc for Wii.

Like...you get the point. The games being pirated here were ones that have plenty of options available. Nintendo sued CoolRom because they had a site called LoveRom where they were making $$$$ off Nintendo's property. That isn't right. Emuparadise made a decision on their own accord, but even then they were actually profiting off these with premium memberships and ad revenue. These sites are also not "game preservation" because their intended purpose is piracy, they aren't trying to be a haven for preservation when they upload Mario 3 for everyone when Nintendo still makes money off that and is one of the most popular and highly rated games of all time.

As for fanboy crap, I've been ****ting on Nintendo for their online nonstop ever since Wii days and will continue to do so. I've ****ted on them for what they did to AM2R and Pokemon Prism, and also what they have done to youtube videos before Mario Maker came out. I ain't a fanboy, but their actions here are 100% correct to me.

Maybe if there was a website that focused on preservation of games that were obscure, and no I don't mean GoG, I mean like games from consoles and not trying to upload Mario 3 for everyone to download, but games that actually need preservation, maybe I would understand criticism thrown at Nintendo for this. But in this way where they are stopping a site that's dumping their entire catalog and making a profit off it? Yeah, I'm with Nintendo on this one.

PS:

As a side note, I just booted up my Xbox 360 and was able to redownload Scott Pilgrim VS The World. So I don't know if that's a Playstation thing, but generally I've always been able to redownload stuff on Sony consoles.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So in other words, it's justified to steal as long as you have a personal reason to do so. Why not just admit the act you are doing isn't the most morally correct, even if it is understandable? Condemning Nintendo for protecting their property is a hogwash mindset to me. It is their moral right to protect their property.

Before Nintendo got their first party titles removed from Emuparadise, nearly all the top games downloaded on that site were

Super Mario World
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario RPG
The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past
Banjo Kazooie
Star Fox 64

The list goes on, and even right now with their games removed for over a year, the likes of Chrono Trigger and Mega Man X are on there. Mega Man X has been available on Wii for many years until it shut down, but is also available on PS2 and Gamecube via X Collection, is available on Super Nintendo Classic. It is also available on Wii U and 3DS.

Banjo Kazooie is very easy to purchase the original cartridge for N64 for, but you can also buy it on Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

Super Mario RPG was available on Wii for many years until the service shut down, but is also available on Wii U to this day and SNES Classic.

Mario All-Stars and Super Mario World is available in a plethora of ways, including a disc for Wii.

Like...you get the point. The games being pirated here were ones that have plenty of options available. Nintendo sued CoolRom because they had a site called LoveRom where they were making $$$$ off Nintendo's property. That isn't right. Emuparadise made a decision on their own accord, but even then they were actually profiting off these with premium memberships and ad revenue. These sites are also not "game preservation" because their intended purpose is piracy, they aren't trying to be a haven for preservation when they upload Mario 3 for everyone when Nintendo still makes money off that and is one of the most popular and highly rated games of all time.

As for fanboy crap, I've been ****ting on Nintendo for their online nonstop ever since Wii days and will continue to do so. I've ****ted on them for what they did to AM2R and Pokemon Prism, and also what they have done to youtube videos before Mario Maker came out. I ain't a fanboy, but their actions here are 100% correct to me.

Maybe if there was a website that focused on preservation of games that were obscure, and no I don't mean GoG, I mean like games from consoles and not trying to upload Mario 3 for everyone to download, but games that actually need preservation, maybe I would understand criticism thrown at Nintendo for this. But in this way where they are stopping a site that's dumping their entire catalog and making a profit off it? Yeah, I'm with Nintendo on this one.

PS:

As a side note, I just booted up my Xbox 360 and was able to redownload Scott Pilgrim VS The World. So I don't know if that's a Playstation thing, but generally I've always been able to redownload stuff on Sony consoles.
Your points lost any and all weight the moment you said "piracy is stealing".

And while Nintendo does resell some of their games, it's only for a limited time and you don't get to keep them forever, which does not fix the problem.

Nintendo are not interested in preservation, they only resell an old game once they think it's viable to cash-in on nostalgia. Hardly a noble cause worth respecting.

D

Deleted member

Man, I spent another orb on accident for the Arena.

I love the Arena in FEH.

Last edited by a moderator:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Arethra Franklin just passed away unfortunately. Though she was 76, so that's a fairly normal age to go.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Your points lost any and all weight the moment you said "piracy is stealing".

And while Nintendo does resell some of their games, it's only for a limited time and you don't get to keep them forever, which does not fix the problem.

Nintendo are not interested in preservation, they only resell an old game once they think it's viable to cash-in on nostalgia. Hardly a noble cause worth respecting.
But...

Piracy is literally stealing...

You'd have a better argument if you justified the stealing. You can't go against the definition of words.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
But...

Piracy is literally stealing...

You'd have a better argument if you justified the stealing. You can't go against the definition of words.
Stealing is taking someone's physical property without permission and without intention to return it.

When you steal a car, the person who originally owned the car, be they a customer who bought it or a store clerk selling the car, no longer can use that car. They're deprived of the ability to use it.

The same would apply if you stole physical copies of a game from a retailer, or from a person. The original owner can't use them anymore, whether it be playing them or selling them. This is why stealing is almost universally frowned upon and is illegal.

When you pirate a game, the original owner still has possession of it and can still sell it.

It's not the same thing and to imply it is, is being purposefully ignorant and obtuse. In fact, piracy has made games MORE available to people. I can't play something like Dai Gyakuten Saiban legally. But piracy and fan translations (or in my case, learning Japanese) allow me to play the game.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Nintendo first party IP character appearing on an M rated third party game, wow.

Because some people think distributing pirated software is game preservation.
When it comes to pirated games and ROMs it has always been a double edge sword. Yes, kind of like how Chuggacongroy used to say and I totally agree, I will only support pirating games if that's the only way to play it...

Nobody should be completely one sided to say the least, it is normal for any game company to stop piracy, but yeah Nintendo has gone a bit too far sometimes, and it's delusional if they think they can stop piracy.
No.

The best way to combat piracy is to make a simple, fair alternative.

Case in point:

If Nintendo's online service's retro offerings were a Netflix-like library rather than one game a month, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

WiiWare and Virtual Console were the best ways Ninty's had so far to combat piracy. The nuclear option is just dickish. No excuses, no arguments, no exceptions.
Last I check on the official website, that was never really the case, or set stone that we only get one NES game per month. There's still more features to be announce later down the line, hopefully they will give us full detail on the upcoming Direct, and even launch it right after the Direct.

And people don't need to act like Nintendo is justified either. They only distribute 10% of the games that were available. There's more lost with this takedown than they actually have a "right" to. The 90% of ROMs lost is not a fair tradeoff at all for 10% of games that Nintendo can profit off(which they use these ROMs for but that's besides the point).
Bruh, no body here thinks Nintendo's action of taking down pirated games is justified, like I said, Nintendo has been very very sensitive not only when it comes to piracy but even gameplay videos and music, those are really annoying and even big Youtubers called Nintendo out and I agree.

Are you gonna keep posting pretentious reaction images? You can argue without these pics, thank you.

Also, Nintendo did not shut down Emuparadise.

Emuparadise made their own decision after CoolRom, a site that was literally profiting off their games and had them playable on the website itself got sued justifiably so.

Nintendo about a year ago only removed first party from emuparadise, they didn't touch all the other ROMs.

So I ask, why is Nintendo the issue here?
This was never like people are blaming Nintendo or anything, you just have those who probably enjoy downloading games being bothered by it. Nintendo's action on taking down piracy is totally legit... no matter people like it or not... but that is the point... we all think Nintendo is going too far and might shoot themselves on the foot eventually...
Anyway, don't really want to get too heated with you. Don't mind agreeing to disagree on this one.

Just marking where I stand is all.
And ROMs itself... again like I said most downloading techs such as P2P, ROMs... all depends on how we use it. I think perserving those rare games via ROMs and piracy is a good thing. But using it to make money though, was never a good thing in my own opinion.

Also, despite we pay more attention to piracy and ROMs, we know that ROMs and emulation will never disappear.
I'm criticizing your actions for targeting Nintendo to portray them in a negative light for doing something I believe to be the morally correct thing to do.

I am not condemning your OTHER action you are doing.

Big difference.
I mean... regardless of any topic... and not to any certain user... it's a shame how some user here just likes to be one sided and never bring up any proper arguments... all I often see is just posts that sometimes try to shove their opinions to other people. It's mostly possible to went down with an acceptable conclusion here people.
Oh people are actually talking about the ROMs/emulation thing, time for me to properly throw my hat in the ring.

Is distributing ROMs online illegal?
Yes, the law as it is now says it is. There isn't really any way around that fact, and I don't think anyone in their right mind is trying to make that argument. However, I feel copyright laws are extremely archaic and do not account for the reality of today's gaming landscape, and they should be changed. I personally cannot change them as one person, but I feel that is what society should be striving for. This is an issue that goes far beyond gaming though, so I will leave it at that.

Is downloading ROMs illegal?
Once again, it is. Regardless of circumstance, even if you own a legal copy of the game and you just want to get a backup to use in an emulator or something and you don't have the tools/motivation to dump your own copy, it is still illegal.

...However, the problem is that it isn't an enforced law. There really is no consequence to you if you decide to download an illegal copy of the game (unless it's one of those games that has "anti-piracy measures", like how Spyro 3 won't let you save your game if it knows it's an illegal copy, but even those are generally easy to work around). And if you ask me, a law that isn't enforced is no law at all. So really, whether or not you pirate content, and under what circumstances you do it, is defined by your own moral compass. Ask anyone the question "when is it OK to pirate something?" and you will receive a different answer from everyone, pretty much. And all of their answers are right, because again, it's not an enforced law. Nobody is going to give you so much as a slap on the wrist if you pirate a game, whether it be Goof Troop on the SNES or Super Smash Bros. Ultimate when it comes out. You can swear a pirate off all you want but at the end of the day, nobody is going to put them behind bars or anything.

Personally, I typically only pirate games I already own, games that are abandoned and have not been re-released and aren't available to buy, or obsolete games. As an example, the original Splatoon is obsolete because everyone has moved on to Splatoon 2 as far as online play is concerned (which is the main mode of both games) so all that's left is the less than 5 hours of single-player content. The game no longer has much value, so while I could probably find a really cheap used copy, that money wouldn't go to Nintendo, and it's objectively not worth buying it new on the eShop, especially with how little storage space the Wii U has - so I pirated it and played through the entire camapaign and got all of the Sunken Scrolls in less than 5 hours. I may also occasionally pirate a game I intend to buy anyway, just because I can't wait to have the money to play it or for it to be in stock, but want to get started actually playing it. So I pirate it, start playing it, buy it new, then continue playing it. I've only done that last one like, 2 or 3 times in my entire life though.

Does piracy hurt the industry?
It can, but not inherently so. It's really no different to something like the concept of DLC or microtransactions. There are times when these concepts have proven to be harmful to consumers and developers alike, but there are times where they have also been really good for the industry. Piracy is the same way. A lot of people look at it in a black and white "a pirated copy = a lost sale = developers not getting what they're due", but that's not what actually happens a lot of the time. Like I mentioned, a lot of people go on to buy the very game they pirate, or future games in that same series. I myself have ended up doing this multiple times. I grew up in a family full of pirates. I was gifted an R4 cartridge for my DS pre-loaded with tons of ROMs, and my brother modded both our Xbox 360 and my Wii (the latter he had to actually argue with me for). While I did buy any game I was actually excited for, like Sonic games, I actually got introduced to a lot of franchises through the piracy running in my family.

A perfect example is Ace Attorney. I tried the iOS demo of the remastered original trilogy and didn't really like how they changed the sprites and stuff. So I decided to pirate all of the games on my R4 cartridge (including Apollo Justice, which didn't have a re-release at the time, and Miles Edgeworth Investigations, which STILL hasn't seen a re-release as far as I know), since I had no way of buying the DS versions. I got addicted to the series, binged all 5 games within the space of a few days (I was also sick and in a really bad place mentally at the time, so I needed something to take my mind off things), fell in love. Then pretty soon after, my brother offered to buy me Dual Destinies for the 3DS on the eShop for my birthday, and so he did. I then bought PLvsAA and Spirit of Justice for myself when they came out. And would have GLADLY done the same with both of the Dai Gyakuten Saiban games...except Capcom still hasn't localised them, so I actually recently pirated those for use in the Citra emulator. I'd absolutely buy them if they did localise them, though, especially if it was on the Switch. I'd by the Limited Edition of it if they released one, because I adore everything I've been able to interpret from those games.

And there have been plenty of statistics that show where a surge of piracy for some games resulted in a surge of sales for the game straight after. I posted last night about this happening to We Happy Few, which just released. So yeah, piracy ain't some big evil thing and can actually be attributed to the creation of loyal customers and success for many games.

Is emulation legal?
YES! It's a common misconception, but emulation is entirely legal. As long as the emulator itself does not use any copyrighted content (this includes anything from iconography to patented source code) or otherwise break the law (like be bundled with malware and steal information), it's entirely legal to develop, distribute, and even SELL an emulator for profit. I just recently purchased a premium license for REDREAM, a fantastic Dreamcast emulator. It's been available for a while now and SEGA hasn't (and can't, even if they want to) done anything about it. Sony once lost a lawsuit against the developers of a PS1 emulator that was PHYSICALLY being sold in stores, back when the PS1 was still new and relevant, because the emulator didn't actually infringe on their copyrights in any way. They tried to argue that it could potentially lower PS1 sales, but they were essentially told that if people buy the emulator over a PS1, it's because it was a more appealing product to that consumer and there is nothing wrong with that, especially since the emulator facilitated the use of legal PS1 game discs.

I posted about Yuzu's (one of two Nintendo Switch emulators in development) progression in the Xenoblade subreddit yesterday and before long, was swamped with negative feedback about how this is "enabling piracy" and "will decrease Switch sales" by a bunch of Nintendo fanboys. When none of these things are true. The emulator isn't at a stage where it can emulate many games to a playable level, let alone the hottest new releases. As far as I know, it can't even run updates and DLCs for games yet. The emulator isn't yet a viable platform to play these games and it will be some time before it is. So no pirate is really gonna use it. And even if it was a viable platform, and people were using it in favour of buying a Switch...that's just tough luck for Nintendo. That's the consumer market for ya. I'd gladly take an emulator that could run Xenoblade Chronicles 2 at 4K 60FPS on my PC, over a Switch, any day of the week. As soon as that day comes, I will migrate all of my Switch data to my PC just as I did with my Wii U, and continue playing the games there. It's literally no different than buying a PS4 to play DOOM as opposed to a Switch.

At the end of the day, I feel the best way to combat piracy and/or emulation is to provide a better service than those avenues. You can take down as many ROM sites as you like, but they're like hydra dragons - you cut one head off, three more take it's place. The music industry and film/TV industry have caught onto this. Sony kind of has with PS Plus and PS Now. And it has reduced piracy immensely for those industries.

Nintendo, on the other hand, refuse to answer even the most simple demands when it comes to their back catalog. They drip feed and overcharge for their retro games. They make you buy the same game multiple times across their family of systems rather than unifying them. They will sell you a limited edition toy that runs some of these games and once all twelve produced are sold, they're gone for good, putting us back at square one. The Wii U natively had ability to run both Wii and Gamecube games, meaning putting those games on the eShop wasn't even a matter of creating an emulator to run them, they just had to pop the games on the eShop with simple executable commands, and they would run. Yet they still dripfed Wii games as if it took them effort to get them on there, and never even bothered with GameCube games despite the overwhelming demand. And they still seem adamantly against doing it for the Switch, even though they've got NVIDIA developing an emulator that runs these games in native 1080p with HD UI elements, on a very similar platform for the Chinese market.

"Oh, but maybe they don't do it because they lost the original files for most of their games!"

Well, even if that were true - not only does it prove EXACTLY why consumers need ROM sites and the like to experience these old games - but Nintendo ain't above simply downloading games from ROM sites themselves and selling them back to us, because they did EXACTLY that with the original Super Mario Bros. on the Wii Virtual Console. I won't get into the technical details (it's an easy subject to Google and get tons of articles and videos on) but it has been 100% proven that the ROM used for the Wii VC version (and I believe all future VC versions) of Super Mario Bros. was downloaded from a ROM site, as it is identical to ones found on ROM sites, which were created to work on an NES emulator for PC (the raw files of a cartridge don't always work with an emulator, they have to be converted into a format the emulator can work with). So not only does this prove Nintendo can't be trusted to properly preserve their own copies of one of the most monumental and best-selling games in video game history that still has it's imagery plastered over official merchandise to this day, but it means there is absolutely no reason for them to dripfeed these VC releases because even if they don't have original copies lying around, they're not above just pirating it themselves and selling it back to us!

And even forgetting that, reverse-engineering, while it takes more effort, is always an option. Square Enix did this with Kingdom Hearts Final Mix for the Kingdom Hearts HD collections - they didn't have the original files for that specific game, so they bought a retail copy off eBay or something to reverse engineer it.

To finally end off this post that I may as well copy-paste for a video script at this point, I will not even say anything, but simply drop a handful of powerful images:

:ultmarth::ultroy::ultlucas:
I might reply to some particular section of your post later... that aren't even emulation or ROM related.
tl ; dr
ROMs and emulators are double edged sword. It really depends on how it goes.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Stealing is taking someone's physical property without permission and without intention to return it.

When you steal a car, the person who originally owned the car, be they a customer who bought it or a store clerk selling the car, no longer can use that car. They're deprived of the ability to use it.

The same would apply if you stole physical copies of a game from a retailer, or from a person. The original owner can't use them anymore, whether it be playing them or selling them. This is why stealing is almost universally frowned upon and is illegal.

When you pirate a game, the original owner still has possession of it and can still sell it.

It's not the same thing and to imply it is, is being purposefully ignorant and obtuse. In fact, piracy has made games MORE available to people. I can't play something like Dai Gyakuten Saiban legally. But piracy and fan translations (or in my case, learning Japanese) allow me to play the game.
One person purchasing your pirated game means one less person purchasing the original game (unless it's a case of someone doing both, but not everyone does that). As such, you aren't stealing copies when selling pirated games, because those were still made and shipped to stores.

Instead, you're stealing customers. You're also stealing money since the cash that could've been in Nintendo's hands for their game is instead on yours.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I’d honestly only get this because I never played super Luigi U. I wonder what new content could come though.

Also where mario maker? Is that one of the big 2019 titles I wonder?
I want Mario Maker for the Switch so bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I really would like to know this thread's opinion on fangames like AM2R

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Last edited:

Chrono.

I’d honestly only get this because I never played super Luigi U. I wonder what new content could come though.

Also where mario maker? Is that one of the big 2019 titles I wonder?
I expect the bare minimum of new content.

Mario Maker I feel will get a big sequel, I don't expect a port of the old one just cause it was so reliant on Miiverse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom