• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
The new summer banner looks prettt good.
We don’t have any crazy skills outside of noire but they could all be pretty good

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I'm in full belief that this Waluigi toxic isn't even fully legitimate anymore. Some of them are real supporters, but at this point, I bet irrelevant trolls stepped in just to make it worse. We've seen it before.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
.....huh?
d1a.png

Nothin.

Also I'll say right now that the novelty of "YOU CAN HAVE X CHARACTER FIGHT Y CHARACTER" in crossover games, has long worn out for me. Fights mean nothing if there's no story behind them. Some characters, like Shulk, can't even be well represented in Smash because their character is just too complex and they don't have a distinct personality gimmick, leading to Smash having a bastardisation of the character anyway. I'd be more excited about "everyone is here" if everyone was going to actually interact. But so far, they won't.
I have to draw out the one central sentence to the point here:

Fights mean nothing if there's no story behind them.
Not wrong. But Smash has never provided that story for me - now or ever. Little nods like Snake's codecs, Palutena's guidance, even story/adventure modes, all add spice at best.

The one time that Smash had a cohesive narrative was SSE, and look how that went down. A couple cliques of heroes formed, and eventually all went off to fight a small clique of villains, and then a big bad, while wandering around a handful of worlds, killing a half dozen bosses, and watching ROB's race go extinct. And it was fun, but we got bare glimpses and minimal interactions between the cast, who in the best cases segmented off into their own groups and couldn't widely interact, and in the worst cases had minimal to no interactions at all. ROB, Lucas, and arguably Ganondorf were the only characters who really got their own narrative arcs; the rest of the story was told by retreading familiar notes from their own stories (Red goes out and catches 'mons, DK's off to fetch his stolen banana hoard, How Samus Got Her Groove Back), or seeing what would happen if you sat the characters next to each other (blue-haired swordies join up with much rounder swordie to go whoop a bunch of ass, Weegee gets a face full of pow pow, a group of five protagonists go off to do protagonist stuff, almost everyone I haven't mentioned who showed up in a cutscene somewhere), and a couple just got the 13 inch purple rubber shaft (Tink, Wolf, Jiggs, Sonic, Bowser to some extent).

They may have seasoned it better, but it was almost all just more spice.

And for the most part, I see no issue keeping it that way.

The only narratives that truly make any difference to me with regards to my Smash play are the narratives that form around my Smash play. They involve the people I play with and the things we do.

More in-game interactions would just be more spice.

Again, this is just a matter of knowing what I came for, and crossover fic wasn't it.

Now that said, this next part does provide insight into why I think we, specifically, diverge somewhat on the point:

So because of that, the character roster was the least of my concern with this game. Smash Wii U's biggest failings were it's shoddy online, lack of varied content, and even it's mechanics to a degree. Ultimate's online experience is going to be shoddy still because a Smash game will never have dedicated servers (and rightly so) and the Mario Tennis demo proved to me that most Switch players still have really slow internet, so that's a bust. We're still in the dark on content. And while some mechanics changes are for the better, some look really eyebrow raising.
I play a fair bit of online Smash, yes, but I also play a fair bit of it in person. And of the two, in-person's always been the superior option, for a laundry list of reasons that could start and end at mediocre internet speeds but thanks to For Glory deigned to keep going anyway.

If your experience is largely online and you don't see the service improving drastically - and we're in agreement there, I'm afraid - the narratives you would craft around your Smash play would be vastly different to those I'd craft around mine. If they weren't as positive, or as numerous, or as ingrained, then they wouldn't be enough to carry it for you.

I don't really have a solution for that, unfortunately. With minimal exception, core content is more likely to be geared towards filling a void in the core gameplay mechanics - there's a reason they just call it Smash and give it half the UI billing in Wii U/3DS, that's where the game's full focus truly is - than a narrative or feature void, and I believe they're making the right call in doing so.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
One thing that bothers me is some think there's still hope for Waluigi.

Almost the same vibe of people thinking from the Smash 3DS/Wii U Direct that Ridley was indeed playable despite the fact his shadow was shown in the boss character section of the Direct and Sakurai actually saying "boss characters make an appearance in other stages".

Androobie

Banned via Warnings
OK, who set a Sonic composer loose on Bomb Rush Blush?!

Because whoever was even remotely involved in this, I LOVE YOU.

HOLY CALAMARI that melody and this guys sound go together like pepperonis on pizza.

https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/sound/index.html

Anyone who has not already, GO MY CHILDREN.
This is Callie’s song, right? If so, that means it wasn’t made by Marie. If it isn’t related to Marie, I couldn’t care less.
roll in your grave, You Callie scum

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I'm in full belief that this Waluigi toxic isn't even fully legitimate anymore. Some of them are real supporters, but at this point, I bet irrelevant trolls stepped in just to make it worse. We've seen it before.
I wouldn't be surprised. They can't make fun of Ridley or Daisy or any past characters like Pichu anymore. Time to move onto the next big subject.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
The new summer banner looks prettt good.
We don’t have any crazy skills outside of noire but they could all be pretty good
Tana's A skill says hi

That's the worst part of it, its kind of proving Sakurai's point that Waluigi's support is insincere.

D

Deleted member

xD Though I did this one LOOOOONG before Ridley got revealed ( :V The universe listens to me!) xD And I suck at drawing K.Rool!
I know you can do it though. I agree with Yellowlord that you are a good artist!

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Man literally everytime I went to use the tenta missiles an enemy team member would pop up literally out of nowhere and splat me...

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
This is Callie’s song, right? If so, that means it wasn’t made by Marie. If it isn’t related to Marie, I couldn’t care less.
roll in your grave, You Callie scum
Don't make me get Trevor. He'll rip you a new one for this blasphemy LOL.

D

Deleted member

Since you peeps liked my last Zelda gif, here's another one where I send Cloud to the Shadow Realm~

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Since you peeps liked my last Zelda gif, here's another one where I send Cloud to the Shadow Realm~

That's not the Shadow Realm, Zelda's just helping Cloud get back up to where his friends are~

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I think people think the quote from Sakurai is true because of Alphrad's video.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
If Cloud had spammed UAir over Aerith, would he stopped Sephiroth from killing her? :ultpacman:

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
If Cloud had spammed UAir over Aerith he would have stopped Sephiroth? :ultpacman:
Yeah Cloud would have outranged Sephiroth and he would have knocked him off stage. :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The only Ridley comic I want is the inevitable followup to this AwkwardZombie comic

(Actually, I'm waiting for all possible Smash Ultimate comics Katie can make but this one in particular)

D

Deleted member

You send that Cloud to where he belongs, with the other clouds.

Also good job on bodying that man. How do you make those gifs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom