• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Baldi's Basics in Education and Learning is just a less scarier version of Slenderman. :p

D

Deleted member

In my honest opinion, Baldi's Basics is just a ****ty version of Slender. Its not even scary. Its just poorly designed and obnoxiously loud at times.
It was meant to be poorly designed. :lol:

Despite Baldi's Basics being weird, Slenderman is still scarier.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The one time that Smash had a cohesive narrative was SSE, and look how that went down. A couple cliques of heroes formed, and eventually all went off to fight a small clique of villains, and then a big bad, while wandering around a handful of worlds, killing a half dozen bosses, and watching ROB's race go extinct. And it was fun, but we got bare glimpses and minimal interactions between the cast, who in the best cases segmented off into their own groups and couldn't widely interact, and in the worst cases had minimal to no interactions at all. ROB, Lucas, and arguably Ganondorf were the only characters who really got their own narrative arcs; the rest of the story was told by retreading familiar notes from their own stories (Red goes out and catches 'mons, DK's off to fetch his stolen banana hoard, How Samus Got Her Groove Back), or seeing what would happen if you sat the characters next to each other (blue-haired swordies join up with much rounder swordie to go whoop a bunch of ***, Weegee gets a face full of pow pow, a group of five protagonists go off to do protagonist stuff, almost everyone I haven't mentioned who showed up in a cutscene somewhere), and a couple just got the 13 inch purple rubber shaft (Tink, Wolf, Jiggs, Sonic, Bowser to some extent).
Subspace Emissary's narrative and character interactions were actually great for what it was, it's like the only thing I see people consistently praise it for. Anything can be dumbed down and abridged to make it sound like less, which is kind of all you're doing in this post. Speaking as someone who appreciates it more for the gameplay. I can skip SSE's cutscenes and still have loads of fun in it. I had over 100 hours in that mode alone on my original save file.

But anyway, I'm not even necessarily saying that Smash needs a story, certainly not a more grandiose one like SSE. All I'm saying is that, "you can put x character and y character on the same screen" isn't much of a selling point to me anymore on it's own. Anyone can do that. Source Filmmaker is a thing. We also live in an age where Nintendo characters crossing over with each other (Link in Mario Kart), and with third parties (Mario + Rabbids) in an official capacity, is actually pretty common. So Smash has lost it's unique appeal of bringing characters together, because it's frankly not the only one doing it anymore. Those other games may not have the same amount of characters, but the principle is the same. And some of them DO actually feature amusing or compelling interactions.

That's why "more varied modes and content" is my main desire for Smash Ultimate. Because honestly, it objectively has no right calling itself the "ultimate Smash game" if it doesn't even at least try to get some fun and varied modes and content in there. Because that means it's missing a vital part of what made the previous installments so great. I've said it before, but look at ANY review or retrospective for the Smash games - Melee, Brawl, and even Smash 3DS are always praised for having a lot to do even for a single player. When Smash Wii U became a thing, people immediately noticed how lacking in content it was. So I do believe they owe it to the fans to give them a lot of varied modes to indulge in if making the ultimate Smash game is truly their primary goal.

D

Deleted member

I've watched Star Wars so many times I can do this assignment from memory, love it. It's kinda funny to analyze it in a vacuum though, because I have to treat Vader and Anakin as two different characters.

Chrono.

Speaking of games that are lacking in content, apparently Aces is still rather barebones. Not AS much as the predecessors but still steps below Power Tennis.

Short single player and multiplayer isn't so flexible, plus a lack of modes and options.

A shame cause it looked like a return to form, but instead it seems like a misstep. Though the deeper Tennis mechanics will probably keep folks playing. So I guess in that way Aces really is like a fighting game lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom