• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Hm, how does the time limit on the Octopath demo work? Is it based on the time recorded in your save file? Or just from the moment you turn on the demo?

Not sure I want to start it while I'm away from home.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I can't wait to see the competitive meta on Ultimate. Perfect Shielding is gonna be a game changer I feel and all the characters look nuts other than Fox, Bayo and Cloud. Ridley also seems to have invul frames on that command grab and I am not ready for that

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
To anyone still trying to defend the lack of games in the Nintendo Direct:

http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/14/investing/e3-nintendo-stock-drop/index.html

Also I'm looking at their lineup of games for the remainder of the year, and while Q4 is looking good (Smash, Pokemon, Super Mario Party, and Starlink - I'm counting Starlink as an exclusive because the Switch version is basically a new Star Fox game), Q2 and Q3 leave a lot to be desired in the exclusives department. Q2 only has Mario Tennis Aces and Sushi Striker left. Q3 only has Octopath Traveller and SNK Heroines. Frankly Q3 looks abysmal for exclusives, as much as I am looking forward to Octopath Traveller, it's still a niche title.

I think they could have done with fitting another brand new game or two into the E3 presentation.

D

Deleted member

To anyone still trying to defend the lack of games in the Nintendo Direct:

http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/14/investing/e3-nintendo-stock-drop/index.html

Also I'm looking at their lineup of games for the remainder of the year, and while Q4 is looking good (Smash, Pokemon, Super Mario Party, and Starlink - I'm counting Starlink as an exclusive because the Switch version is basically a new Star Fox game), Q2 and Q3 leave a lot to be desired in the exclusives department. Q2 only has Mario Tennis Aces and Sushi Striker left. Q3 only has Octopath Traveller and SNK Heroines. Frankly Q3 looks abysmal for exclusives, as much as I am looking forward to Octopath Traveller, it's still a niche title.

I think they could have done with fitting another brand new game or two into the E3 presentation.
It kind of reminds me of Nintendo's E3 2003. At least Q4 is looking decent. But don't worry anyways, Nintendo Switch Online will save their stock plummetting even further this September. Can't beat those NES games.

Also if you ask why I posted the .GIF, don't worry about the concept of the meme. It was and is always supposed to be a joke/meme.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Catching up on some of the gameplay for Smash some things I noticed...

-Hazard toggle makes almost every stage seem viable
-The new powershielding has a lot of potential and makes it so players need to be more wary just throwing out attacks on someone's shield
-Zelda seems a lot faster, her jab is a multihit instead of just the one quick and useless twinkle, her phantom has a bit of a delay
-Ike has a different uair it seems
-Cloud's Climhazzard can snap to the edge on the way down it looks like, or at least it's easier to do so
-Ganodorf's Smash attacks are basically borrowed from Ike and Cloud but at least he's got a sword

More importantly
-I don't think I like Link's new bombs, his bombs were a big part of his combo game and having to remotely activate them leads to less of an opportunity to use them for his bread and butters, I also couldn't tell if he can activate the bomb while holding it or if he just throws it while pressing down B, which is a big nerf to his recovery...I haven't seen anyone try to grab with Link yet but from what I heard he no longer has his hookshot, once again a big part of Link's arsenal as well as his recovery
I'm not so sure about how I feel about these changes. I wonder if this will be the first game I don't main Link, but I don't know how his framedata and stats differs, so I'll just have to wait until December before really judging. Plus Sakurai will make changes to the game from now until then so who knows.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700

-The new powershielding has a lot of potential and makes it so players need to be more wary just throwing out attacks on someone's shield
-Zelda seems a lot faster, her jab is a multihit instead of just the one quick and useless twinkle, her phantom has a bit of a delay
-Cloud's Climhazzard can snap to the edge on the way down it looks like, or at least it's easier to do so
-Ganodorf's Smash attacks are basically borrowed from Ike and Cloud but at least he's got a sword

More importantly
-I don't think I like Link's new bombs, his bombs were a big part of his combo game and having to remotely activate them leads to less of an opportunity to use them for his bread and butters, I also couldn't tell if he can activate the bomb while holding it or if he just throws it while pressing down B, which is a big nerf to his recovery...I haven't seen anyone try to grab with Link yet but from what I heard he no longer has his hookshot, once again a big part of Link's arsenal as well as his recovery
I'm not so sure about how I feel about these changes. I wonder if this will be the first game I don't main Link, but I don't know how his framedata and stats differs, so I'll just have to wait until December before really judging. Plus Sakurai will make changes to the game from now until then so who knows.
About Link, Zero (or someone who tried the demo atleast, can't remember exactly who said that) said you can Z-drop the new bomb.

So, if your press down-b fast enough, Link can still use bombs to recover, in case you are wondering.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
"Nintendo's disappointing E3"
Did we all watch the same Direct?
If you're a Nintendo fanboy then yeah it was great, especially if you're a Smash fanboy.

If you look at it objectively though, it was mediocre. Clearly investors feel the same way even with Smash.

More importantly
Nah, there will still be plenty of stages that aren't viable. Walk-offs are never legal, and all of the really big stages also won't be legal. Also moving stages like Rainbow Ride.

The pool of legal stages will increase by a good amount but hazards and gimmicks aren't the only thing that cause a stage to be banned.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Rewatching the Nintendo Direct there’s definitely gonna be 3ish more echo fihters I bet.

Also the more I think about it, the more I strongly believe King K. Rool is gonna be playable.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
About Link, Zero (or someone who tried the demo atleast, can't remember exactly who said that) said you can Z-drop the new bomb.

So, if your press down-b fast enough, Link can still use bombs to recover, in case you are wondering.
Never considered Z-dropping for Link cuz its never usually a good idea since he's got a lot of lag from his tether...

If you're a Nintendo fanboy then yeah it was great, especially if you're a Smash fanboy.

If you look at it objectively though, it was mediocre. Clearly investors feel the same way even with Smash.

Nah, there will still be plenty of stages that aren't viable. Walk-offs are never legal, and all of the really big stages also won't be legal. Also moving stages like Rainbow Ride.

The pool of legal stages will increase by a good amount but hazards and gimmicks aren't the only thing that cause a stage to be banned.
I didn't say every stage would be viable. Point is, hazard toggle makes a lot more stages accessible to competitive play.

Plus the lack of hazards will also make a lot of these stages more fun to play in my opinion.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Hm, how does the time limit on the Octopath demo work? Is it based on the time recorded in your save file? Or just from the moment you turn on the demo?

Not sure I want to start it while I'm away from home.
From what I saw people say, its save file. tho idk if thats right either as I just found out yesterday that there was a time limit at all
The mem cake is grayed out and doesn't count.
it still counts.

you still get the rewards from getting them all and boy am I glad. **** those "Dont get hit" tests
Yes I know Im late on this, I just woke up

Last edited:

Hockeyfan44

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shockwv478
On one hand, I'm jacked, even this far out from release, for Smash Ultimate and the World Cup is underway (currently watching Uruguay-Egypt), but on the other, I'm dreading the heat. It's only June 15 and it's going to feel like 110, and we in Kansas have been well above average for over a month...man, I hate summer and it isn't even summer yet....where's Elsa when you need her?
As for SBU, I think the roster is as complete as it possibly could be. With next year being Smash's 20th anniversary, with all the characters and stages already in the game with 6 months of further development, this is going to be quite the birthday present. In terms of additional characters, I would guess maybe 3 more, certainly not more than that, but I'm fine with the roster as it is, and as for any additional characters, your guess is as good as mine as to who it could possibly be.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Never considered Z-dropping for Link cuz its never usually a good idea since he's got a lot of lag from his tether...

I didn't say every stage would be viable. Point is, hazard toggle makes a lot more stages accessible to competitive play.

Plus the lack of hazards will also make a lot of these stages more fun to play in my opinion.
Now that Link doesn't have his tether, Z-dropping with him will be in a instant or atleast very fast.

I can see how strange it is to recover like this, but I think testing will be needed to tell how effectif Link new bomb recovery will be.

Young Link & Toon Link still have their tether & normal bombs too, so there is alternatives at worst/best?

In any case, I hope this help.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

You said "almost every stage", but that's what I'm saying, I still think a minority of stages will actually be legal, let alone fully legal (some will be counterpick-only stages).

Doesn't matter for casual players at all and yeah, it will make stuff like Wily Castle fun for just casual 1v1s anyway, but as far as tournaments go, the majority of stages probably won't be tournament legal, at least not fully legal. There's way more to a stage being banned in tournaments than just having a hazard or not.

It should increase the legal stage count by a notable amount, I'm just saying don't expect almost every stage to be legal. That's settings yourself up for disappointment.

Jojalole

Henshin a go go baby!
Switch FC
SW 7943 9867 0675
"Nintendo's disappointing E3"
Did we all watch the same Direct?
I liked it because I got to see Smash and Fire Emblem, two of my favourite series ever. However, I can understand why lots of people saw it as a really weak E3.

This wasn't a Smash Direct, it was an E3 Direct, yet we got 27 minutes of Smash. I didn't watch the conference alone, and apart from my best friend who's also really into Smash, the rest of the people disconnected after the "Everyone is here!" segment. Do you guys think most of the people care about most of the stuff that was shown in the direct? Little people will care about Mario having Cappy, Marth having his English voice, Ganondorf finally using his sword, changing a couple of final smashes... Believe it or not, there are people who don't care about Smash, but being in a Smash forum sometimes it's hard to think about it.

Now, imagine we take out Smash, which is what the people who aren't invested in Smash as we do did. What do we have left? 16 minutes. And what was shown in those 16 minutes wasn't that great. Daemon X Machina looks cool but it's a 2019 release, the Xenoblade part was DLC, Fire Emblem as much as I love it it's still a niche genre and comes out in 2019, we already knew about Pokémon Let's Go so that part was like a waste of time, and Super Mario Party was the only surprise announcement for 2018. And we got some pretty heavy omissions in the form of Yoshi and Metroid being completely absent (I didn't expect to see Metroid Prime 4 either way, but damn seeing Yoshi delayed is sad).

The rapid-fire announcement part was mostly ports from third-party companies, but I think they should have stopped on some of them. Like seriously, FighterZ on the Switch is HUGE, and it seems they don't even realize it. 8 seconds announcement, seriously? It's like if it isn't first party they don't care about it, but for some reason Fornite was the only third party game to get a 2 minute video.

So, after E3, I want some games to look forward for the next months, not the next year, and like it or not, this second year has been rather weak for the Switch, specially compared to the insane first year. We're at June, and the only first party game released on 2018 that isn't a port is Kirby Star Allies I think, and the rest of the year isn't looking that good either. You have games like Mario Tennis, Mario Party and Project Octopath, but they aren't extremely big games, and only the holiday season seems to be really good with both Smash and Pokémon.

So yeah, here in the Smash community, the E3 from Nintendo was great because we got loads of information about one of our favourite franchises, but for many other people who were expecting games like Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime 4 or Pikmin 4 to show up it was a disappointment. One game alone can't carry your own conference unless you are only going to talk about it (Like in 2016 with BoTW).

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Well he is an old dude and old people usually are.

Also which character did you choose for the Octopath demo?
the boy, who else :026:
I liked it because I got to see Smash and Fire Emblem, two of my favourite series ever. However, I can understand why lots of people saw it as a really weak E3.

This wasn't a Smash Direct, it was an E3 Direct, yet we got 27 minutes of Smash. I didn't watch the conference alone, and apart from my best friend who's also really into Smash, the rest of the people disconnected after the "Everyone is here!" segment. Do you guys think most of the people care about most of the stuff that was shown in the direct? Little people will care about Mario having Cappy, Marth having his English voice, Ganondorf finally using his sword, changing a couple of final smashes... Believe it or not, there are people who don't care about Smash, but being in a Smash forum sometimes it's hard to think about it.

Now, imagine we take out Smash, which is what the people who aren't invested in Smash as we do did. What do we have left? 16 minutes. And what was shown in those 16 minutes wasn't that great. Daemon X Machina looks cool but it's a 2019 release, the Xenoblade part was DLC, Fire Emblem as much as I love it it's still a niche genre and comes out in 2019, we already knew about Pokémon Let's Go so that part was like a waste of time, and Super Mario Party was the only surprise announcement for 2018. And we got some pretty heavy omissions in the form of Yoshi and Metroid being completely absent (I didn't expect to see Metroid Prime 4 either way, but damn seeing Yoshi delayed is sad).

The rapid-fire announcement part was mostly ports from third-party companies, but I think they should have stopped on some of them. Like seriously, FighterZ on the Switch is HUGE, and it seems they don't even realize it. 8 seconds announcement, seriously? It's like if it isn't first party they don't care about it, but for some reason Fornite was the only third party game to get a 2 minute video.

So, after E3, I want some games to look forward for the next months, not the next year, and like it or not, this second year has been rather weak for the Switch, specially compared to the insane first year. We're at June, and the only first party game released on 2018 that isn't a port is Kirby Star Allies I think, and the rest of the year isn't looking that good either. You have games like Mario Tennis, Mario Party and Project Octopath, but they aren't extremely big games, and only the holiday season seems to be really good with both Smash and Pokémon.

So yeah, here in the Smash community, the E3 from Nintendo was great because we got loads of information about one of our favourite franchises, but for many other people who were expecting games like Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime 4 or Pikmin 4 to show up it was a disappointment. One game alone can't carry your own conference unless you are only going to talk about it (Like in 2016 with BoTW).
But hey, At leaste something good came out of treehouse, the Octopath Traveler Demo
( oops replayed to the wrong post)

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Weird detail about Sonic in Smash Ultimate.

He still has the painted on smirk in his default expression and such, but when talking in victory animations, his mouth opens and is properly modelled.

Screenshot_20180615-150737.png

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
I agree with this, and the funny part is I'm not even Canadian.

Anyway, concerning Smash 5...which characters are you all thinking about picking up when the game releases?
I think I'll try out Robin and Shulk, as they were my favorites in Smash 4, and I want to see how they changed. I also might want to see how Ganondorf and Captain Falcon have changed as well. Ridley also looks like a lot of fun.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
That happens when they’re still working on the game.
I don't imagine they'd change that actually.

I think the painted on mouth is supposed reference the Sonic smirk on the Yuji Uekawa artwork.

It just doesn't look good if his whole model isn't cel shaded. I'd rather they just animate his mouth more similarly to an actual Sonic game.

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Alolan Vulpix is a poke ball summon...

...and its ADORABLE!

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Memeblade Chronicles is too real:

I SHALL END THE JOB THAT TERSQUAL IN CAULDROS COULDN'T.
(In Nick Furry/Samuel Jackson's voice): GET THAT MOTHERF***R!!!!!!!!!!

It would be nice if there's challenge where we can beat other Xenoblade character or bosses... can we? I haven't play the game yet. Oh yeah...

I... actually haven't play XC2 ever since I said I am dropping XC2 for now until a huge update comes out, well...
I got plenty of things to do in real life besides of me trying to get gud on Splatoon 2, I also want to wait until XC2 DLC story comes out.

Or just until I have the free time, like when summer arrives.

Last edited:

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Yeah unfortunately if it wasn't for Smash the direct would've been pretty lacking. No Shin Megami Tensei V footage, nothing from Bayonetta 3, I'm still feeling a bit disappointed outside of the Ultimate hype. At least the new Mario Party game looks better than the past few for those interested in that.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
We got some B-Roll of Spyro that contains the Artisans and Magic Crafter's home worlds.

The music sounds odd because they haven't implemented the dynamic music feature to those levels yet, so it's just placeholder music.

And a video about Mango being a goon because I accidentally posted that the first time. :p

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Yeah unfortunately if it wasn't for Smash the direct would've been pretty lacking. No Shin Megami Tensei V footage, nothing from Bayonetta 3, I'm still feeling a bit disappointed outside of the Ultimate hype. At least the new Mario Party game looks better than the past few for those interested in that.
More on the contrary, it was because of Smash Ultimate that people say it sucked or disappointed (Which I personally disagree). I admit, Smash Ultimate shouldn't take up to nearly half of the direct. But hey, those who like FE, it is a mixed feelings that you finally saw the game... but it was delayed.

But then again, this is what you get when you expect getting those, so it's no surprised to be disappointed, but overall some may disagree but it was still a solid Direct nonetheless.

I should also mention I gave E3 2017 Spotlight last year a C-, because I expect them to reveal third party games like DBZ, or anything that's new and big... instead we only got games like Kirby, MP4's logo, Yoshi (Hell, not much pay attention to this last year because of MP4), more XC2 (Funny... when compare to FE)

Speaking of FE Three Houses, it's... a bit interesting how most people didn't expect FE Three Houses to be delayed... whereas last year a lot of people expect XC2 to be delayed...
But hey, I can see FE Three Houses being way better than XC2 and even surpass XC2 sales eventually. Hope it gets an expansion pass as well for extra contents.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
More on the contrary, it was because of Smash Ultimate that people say it sucked or disappointed (Which I personally disagree). I admit, Smash Ultimate shouldn't take up to nearly half of the direct. But hey, those who like FE, it is a mixed feelings that you finally saw the game... but it was delayed.

But then again, this is what you get when you expect getting those, so it's no surprised to be disappointed, but overall some may disagree but it was still a solid Direct nonetheless.

I should also mention I gave E3 2017 Spotlight last year a C-, because I expect them to reveal third party games like DBZ, or anything that's new and big... instead we only got games like Kirby, MP4's logo, Yoshi (Hell, not much pay attention to this last year because of MP4), more XC2 (Funny... when compare to FE)

Speaking of FE Three Houses, it's... a bit interesting how most people didn't expect FE Three Houses to be delayed... whereas last year a lot of people expect XC2 to be delayed...
But hey, I can see FE Three Houses being way better than XC2 and even surpass XC2 sales eventually. Hope it gets an expansion pass as well for extra contents.
It took up 28 of the 45 minutes that’s more than half

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom