• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono.

Was waiting to finally see these get revealed. Just wanna spill my thoughts on it:

I would've had no problems with this reveal if Go mechanics been added on top of the original game mechanics. But instead, they seem to be straight up replacing wild battles. There was no need to actively remove a core mechanic like this when they could have just had the Go-style encounters be a separate thing. It doesn't matter who the target audience is; taking an additive approach instead of cutting important aspects of the game would have pleased more fans. The Co-op announcement was the trailers saving grace. It's something I've been dreaming of seeing in a mainline game since I was a kid. I would've been looking forward to it more if there were double battles, but the trailer has only shown 2 v1 battles, which don't seem as fun nor challenging. This looks to be a severe misunderstanding of what made the mainline games work over all these years (Being a huge fan of Paper Mario 1 & 2, I'm no stranger seeing developers make these sort of changes.) Maybe simplifying the game works for a free mobile app that anyone can just play to pass the time, but new standalone titles are expected to be a deeper adventure packed worthwhile content, and Odyssey and BoTW have only raised that bar higher. I'm not upset about revisiting Kanto and I'm fine with only the first 151 Pokemon being available, but I'm really questioning if this will be worth it just for that co-op I've been waiting for.
For what it's worth, they've already gone on record saying the 2019 game will be aimed at the comp. audience and more in line with XY and SM. Meaning mechanics in that one will likely stay the same, including wild battles.

This one just seems like a weird experiment/bridge for the GO audience and definitely not aimed at you or me.

D

Deleted member

Kanto itself may not have appeared yes, but let's not forget all of the Kanto related stuff in XY/SM.

For example, the Kanto starters reappearing in XY, Charizard and Mewtwo both getting two Mega Evos, every Alolan Form Pokemon being from Kanto, etc.

Just because the victories are small, that does not mean that they never existed.

That said, personally, I don't have anything against Let's Go. I think it looks alright, and I might even get it depending on how it works. But I would never, ever, claim that this is the first "win" genwunners have had since HGSS. That's just a blatant lie.

Really, the only Gen that genwunners ever "lost" in was Gen V.
You are ignoring the fact that XY had these. Charizard and Mewtwo getting 2 Mega's makes perfect sense, Charizard is like the most popular Pokemon not named Pikachu and Mewtwo is the star of the first movie and one of the most recognizable most popular Pokemon out there, he's also called "two".

There is no win here, that is a delusion.

Gen II
Mega Tyranitar
Mega Heracross
Mega Houndoom
Mega Scizor
Mega Ampharos
Mega Steelix

Gen III
Mega Mawile
Mega Sableye
Mega Gardevoir
Mega Sharpedo
Mega Swampert
Mega Sceptile
Mega Blaziken
Mega Banette
Mega Salamence
Mega Manectric
Mega Absol
Mega Aggron
Mega Camerupt
Mega Altaria

Gen IV
Mega Medicham
Mega Gallade
Mega Garchomp
Mega Abomasnow
Mega Glalie
Mega Metagross
Mega Lopunny

Gen V
Mega Audino

As for Sun and Moon, that was the one time and here's the thing, they didn't incorporate the whole pokedex or anything just a portion. And them being Kanto only is fine as it allows them to work on one gen at a time. I fully expect them to do something similar with the following gens.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I know the team I'd make

Blastoise, Nidoking, Jolteon, Exeggutor, Hitmonlee, and Dragonite.

Hitmonlee and Dragonite are less set, but the first 4 are musts

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'd like for there to be more Megas. Some from Gen 5 primarily. Or for Pokemon who are lagging behind. It did wonders for Charizard who fell behind Blaziken and Infernape for quite some time.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
Tbh you're not wrong.

Sonic is probably the most anti establishment mascot out there.
Sonic 1 is actually an in-depth critique of modern society

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
I can tell you that Firesweep Fliers are very dangerous, thanks to them being the best users of Hit & Run/Drag Back, as well as combined with a Dancer or a Flier with Reposition/Draw Back. New Years Camilla only has -1 ATK & SPD behind Elincia and she does the Firesweep Build I made for her very well, thanks to Flier Buffs and whatnot.
But think about this, besides Flier Buffs, Ryoma has Bushido, a minor Wrath-like skill that gives an additional +10 damage for his Special. Combine him with a Heavy Blade Seal and everytime he doubles on a foe with lower ATK then him, he'll activate Moonbow, which treats the foe as if they lost 30% DEF AND he'll deal an additional +10 damage. In other words, Ryoma is going to deal a whole lot more damage than Elincia.
Apparently over the weekend I traded most of my moping for a 200% increase in raunchiness.

This is going to make acquiring Bride Ninian mission critical, but based on what I currently have I think I can put together a reasonably hard-hitting core between her, Firesweep Ryoma, Minerva, and vanilla Hinoka for a start.

Can build a few other fliers while I'm in the neighborhood and see who works best. I've got some pretty respectable untapped reserves.

Just cause I can’t believe someone would actually want to play let’s go pikachu/eevee, doesn’t mean I hate anyone.
I actually want to play Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee.

Believe, fam.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
You are ignoring the fact that XY had these. Charizard and Mewtwo getting 2 Mega's makes perfect sense, Charizard is like the most popular Pokemon not named Pikachu and Mewtwo is the star of the first movie and one of the most recognizable most popular Pokemon out there, he's also called "two".

Gen II
Mega Tyranitar
Mega Heracross
Mega Houndoom
Mega Scizor
Mega Ampharos
Mega Steelix

Gen III
Mega Mawile
Mega Sableye
Mega Gardevoir
Mega Sharpedo
Mega Swampert
Mega Sceptile
Mega Blaziken
Mega Banette
Mega Salamence
Mega Manectric
Mega Absol
Mega Aggron
Mega Camerupt
Mega Altaria

Gen IV
Mega Medicham
Mega Gallade
Mega Garchomp
Mega Abomasnow
Mega Glalie
Mega Metagross
Mega Lopunny

Gen V
Mega Audino

As for Sun and Moon, that was the one time and here's the thing, they didn't incorporate the whole pokedex or anything just a portion. And them being Kanto only is fine as it allows them to work on one gen at a time. I fully expect them to do something similar with the following gens.
I never ignored the other Mega Evos, I was simply pointing out the Gen 1 always gets a lot of focus in comparison to other gens. Because it does.

As for the SM things, we have no way of knowing if what you say is true, nor will we know for another year and a half, so it's kind of a moot point.

If what you say ends up being true, then I'll concede on the Gen VII point, but until then, I stand by what I said.

Bear in mind, I don't have too much of a problem with the stuff I mentioned in XY/SM, Hell, my first Pokemon region was Kanto, and I have lots of fond memories of it.
I'm just saying that it shouldn't be ignored when speaking of Gen 1/Kanto's presence in modern Pokemon games.

I don't think Gen V is free from this considering big chunks of that dex are remixed/reimagined Kanto mons.
I personally disagree on this point, mostly because even if they are inspired, they're still different. Gen V had a ton of unique Pokemon.

Just because something is based off something, that doesn't immediately make it that thing. It's all a matter of how much was changed, and in the cases of those particular Gen V Pokemon, I believe enough was changed.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Apparently over the weekend I traded most of my moping for a 200% increase in raunchiness.

This is going to make acquiring Bride Ninian mission critical, but based on what I currently have I think I can put together a reasonably hard-hitting core between her, Firesweep Ryoma, Minerva, and vanilla Hinoka for a start.

Can build a few other fliers while I'm in the neighborhood and see who works best. I've got some pretty respectable untapped reserves.

I actually want to play Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee.

Believe, fam.
No, you’re not the boss of me.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I never ignored the other Mega Evos, I was simply pointing out the Gen 1 always gets a lot of focus in comparison to other gens. Because it does.

As for the SM things, we have no way of knowing if what you say is true, nor will we know for another year and a half, so it's kind of a moot point.

If what you say ends up being true, then I'll concede on the Gen VII point, but until then, I stand by what I said.

Bear in mind, I don't have too much of a problem with the stuff I mentioned in XY/SM, Hell, my first Pokemon region was Kanto, and I have lots of fond memories of it.
I'm just saying that it shouldn't be ignored when speaking of Gen 1/Kanto's presence in modern Pokemon games.

I personally disagree on this point, mostly because even if they are inspired, they're still different. Gen V had a ton of unique Pokemon.

Just because something is based off something, that doesn't immediately make it that thing. It's all a matter of how much was changed, and in the cases of those particular Gen V Pokemon, I believe enough was changed.
Doesn't mean it isn't nostalgia pandering

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

Gen II
Mega Tyranitar
Mega Heracross
Mega Houndoom
Mega Scizor
Mega Ampharos
Mega Steelix

Gen III
Mega Mawile
Mega Sableye
Mega Gardevoir
Mega Sharpedo
Mega Swampert
Mega Sceptile
Mega Blaziken
Mega Banette
Mega Salamence
Mega Manectric
Mega Absol
Mega Aggron
Mega Camerupt
Mega Altaria

Gen IV
Mega Medicham
Mega Gallade
Mega Garchomp
Mega Abomasnow
Mega Glalie
Mega Metagross
Mega Lopunny

Gen V
Mega Audino

To be fair to Blargg's point, Gen 1 also had its starters available within the main game of XY, something of which was not done with any other generation's set after it (they're either not present at all, or post-game only), along with them coming with Megas that gave them options that their Kalos counterparts did not have access to. Additionally, it had its legendaries present in the post-game (whereas those like the Beasts are nowhere to be found) as well as numerous nods to it such as Pidgey being the scripted encounter rather then Kalos' Fletchling or another Pokémon present in the route.

Whether you call that a 'win' or not, I won't argue, but you can make the argument that Kanto did get more favoritism here relative to other generations.

Last edited:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
No, you’re not the boss of me.
I-i-it's not like I believe you or anything, baka.

redfeatherraven: The one with shades
Weapon: Firesweep D+
My neighbors have got to be wondering what I laughed so hard for at 1:30 in the morning.

Let em wonder.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I-i-it's not like I believe you or anything, baka.

My neighbors have got to be wondering what I laughed so hard for at 1:30 in the morning.

Let em wonder.
Wait... is that a jab at me?

I’m legitimately asking cause i’m up past my bed time and confused out of tiredness.

Chrono.

Gen 6 Starters never getting Megas is still such a big headscratcher.

All we got is Ass Greninja which worked within the context of the anime but sucks otherwise.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Holy ****ing **** I'm dying cause I saw this
"I believe it's designed to emasculate classic masculine tv shows because of "toxic masculinity." This kind of man-hating in modern cartoons is a cancer to our culture. It's being used to brainwash kids into Marxism."
Someow unironically said this and I'm screaming

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
But what's going on with Agent 3?
I don't know... going full edgy I guess?

Aaaaaaaaand 20 million Switches sold. xP
Make that 30 million... lol

I mean, I am a bit iffy on the game, I'm still very glad that they quickly reconfirm that the core Pokemon game in coming next year, that's awesome and obvious...
I have never consider them release a core Pokemon game this year, but for some reason... probably the leaks... caused a lot of people actually believed that the 8th gen Pokemon is coming this year.

And you got people like Rerez... the same dude who expects Switch to fail in 2018 last years September.. (after the Nintedo Direct)just being salty, I don't even think he's a core Pokemon fan...

I just wanna say, yeah Pokemon Let's GO Pikachu and Eevee looks interesting, and I aware that some will be disappointed, but Pokemon Company never really confirm 8th gen Pokemon game is coming this year, so I don't think we should be that salty on this game... but the other one (Looks like Pokemon minecraft)... eh... looks a bit trash...

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Holy ****ing **** I'm dying cause I saw this
"I believe it's designed to emasculate classic masculine tv shows because of "toxic masculinity." This kind of man-hating in modern cartoons is a cancer to our culture. It's being used to brainwash kids into Marxism."
Someow unironically said this and I'm screaming
I don't see how it's wrong. That's what you people like to do.

You can't go a second without whining about Toxic Masculinity like it's a real thing

D

Deleted member

You say "always" but only mention Gen 6 and 7. Hell Gen 7 was during the 20th anniversary of the series.

All we got is *** Greninja which worked within the context of the anime but sucks otherwise.
Mega's were meant to give life to older Pokemon which is why Gen V only got one.

What surprised me more was Gen 2 starters and gen IV starters didn't get Megas.

-edit-

dp

Last edited by a moderator:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
I need to get the Epica AoT EP like right now.

They even covered Sasageyo

SASAGEYO

SHINZOU WO SASAGEYO

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Doesn't mean it isn't nostalgia pandering
I'd say that it isn't, honestly.
And even if they tried to, and it actually is, I'd argue that they failed, since that's not really how things went.

The whole point of my initial comment was that Genwunners have continually scored victories, contrary to Kokonoe saying that Genwunners haven't had a victory since HGSS.

Even if the Gen I inspired Gen V Pokemon were meant to be nostalgia pandering, it didn't really turn out that way. After all, Gen V was not received well by fans of Gen 1.

The reactions to Gen 1 starters returning in XY and Alolan forms in SM were very clearly a lot better. That's not to say they were all positive, but there was clearly much less vitriol.

I don't really know anybody who looks at Pokemon like Timburr or Pidove and sees them as Machop or Pidgey. Sure they have clear similarities in inspiration, but in the end, they're not the same. And that's what matters.

If anything, Gen V takes more from Gen I than Gen VI ever did.

As for the other side of my point, I'd argue that even if one says that Gen V took more from Gen 1 than Gen 6 did, Gen V did it pretty well.

Gen V's Gen 1 inspired Pokemon were just that, inspired. What we have in the end is different. Something awesome about those Pokemon is that they take what groundwork was laid by the Pokemon they're based off of and run it in a different direction, eventually coming off with something wildly different or at the very least, somewhat interesting.

With the exception of maybe Bouffalant, when it comes to the other Gen 1 inspired Gen V Pokemon, putting them side by side the differences are just as clear as the similarities, maybe even more.

To put it concisely, the reason I do not consider Gen V a victory despite it taking some inspiration from Gen 1 is because it really wasn't considered one by Genwunners in general, and because even if some Gen V Pokemon were inspired by Gen 1 Pokemon, in the end, they aren't Gen 1 Pokemon. And that makes a huge difference.

That being said, this is not to say that I dislike the choices made in Gens 6 and 7 in regards to Gen 1 Pokemon. Because that's not my point. I think Alolan Forms and the like are pretty cool, Alolan Raichu, Ninetales, and Muk especially. Alolan Muk took a Pokemon I didn't like, and made me like it. I was actually really happy to have another go with Bulbasaur in X too. My point is that I do not believe it can be said that Genwunners haven't had a victory since HGSS. Because I do not think that that is accurate.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don't see how it's wrong. That's what you people like to do.

You can't go a second without whining about Toxic Masculinity like it's a real thing
"I don't see how it's wrong to say that a cartoon is following the current trend that's making the big bucks means it's trying to convert kids to communism" is what you're saying. Considering you literally defended incels, I'm not surprised you don't see a problem with toxic masculinity

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992

All we got is *** Greninja which worked within the context of the anime but sucks otherwise.
I think it was stated that Mega Evos were meant to be a fresh take on old Pokemon, which is why we only got Audino for Gen V.

I really wish we could have had a Mega Galvantula, at least. I also wanted Mega Togekiss, though that's Gen IV, not Gen V, but still. Mega Excadrill would have been cool too.

On the topic of Megas, no Mega Flygon is a crime against humanity.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I just brought the most hilarious brain dead **** I saw somewhere else up about how the new Thundercats is trying to convert kids to communism, not my fault he felt addressed
You both slung insults at each other.

It's clear to everyone you both have grudges against each other.

Stop.

Chrono.

Mega's were meant to give life to older Pokemon which is why Gen V only got one.

What surprised me more was Gen 2 starters and gen IV starters didn't get Megas.

-edit-

dp
Imo all starters at one point or another should've gotten them.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Imo all starters at one point or another should've gotten them.
TBH, after seeing this fanart, I've come to desire Alolan starters.

I know that this is just fanart, but it's just so cool.

I personally like the idea of Regional Forms more than Megas, because it gives a new spin on existing Pokemon and changes how they work overall, rather than Megas, which only change for the span of a single battle. Megas are still cool though.

Chrono.

TBH, after seeing this fanart, I've come to desire Alolan starters.

I know that this is just fanart, but it's just so cool.

I personally like the idea of Regional Forms more than Megas, because it gives a new spin on existing Pokemon and changes how they work overall, rather than Megas, which only change for the span of a single battle. Megas are still cool though.
Oh I definitely agree with you there.

Out of all the concepts they introduced recently, Regional Variants are on the top.

These in particular look great. Though for Johto Starters I always liked the idea of them starting out with the Psychic/Dark/Fighting type trio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom