• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono.

A couple years ago nobody knew who Simon Belmont even was, now suddenly everybody is a Castlevania expert.
Castlevania has always been popular. Simon, Alucard and Dracula were always names I saw thrown around over the years on the internet.

Or at least it's something I always saw around through osmosis, having only picked up a couple of the games some years ago.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
First, that's not an actual differentiation, "Tank" and "Wall" are used to refer to the same thing in RPGs.
Second, Knights can actually murder stuff back?? Haven't you seen their Atk stats???

What kind of Knights are you even using then? Hector, Oswin and Gilliam all have stupid Atk, Amelia has enough Spd to double stuff and Effie makes Spd irrelevant because she can just OHKO anything she looks at.

Girl, they ARE the frontlines.

So you're saying the Pegasus Riders specialty is running away? That sounds great :V
1 : Opopo already explained this
2: I have, sometimes it does like a quarter of their HP and then they get doubled. Tanky units outright just destroy the enemies

Hector's a tank, he kills everything in sight and unlike Knights he can actually move places. Oswin was an absolute monster but that means jack **** when he's 5 km away from every fight. Gilliam was a typical Knight. So he sucked

Sorry Shish, I don't have all day to painstakingly nudge all my fast units at a snail's pace because some Knight wanted to feel like a big boy. Besides, in the time it'd take for the first fight to start, my Peg Knights would be making a necklace from the blood vessels of their victims
Amelia still has movement issues and as a trainee, she takes a while. I don't feel the need to baby Amelia as the same babying would get me results I'm happier with.
Effie is one of the exceptions but there's also Pair Up which helps give her extra movement or has her switch with her partner for better movement

What the **** is a Knight going to do when they're in trouble? Die, because their stubby legs can't bring them anywhere. The issue with Knights is that they only really work when a map is made with them in mind

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
So I got bored and used the Fire Emblem sorter to see who my most wanted characters for Heroes are.
I'm equally insane and decided to do the same.
1 Forrest
2 Silque
3 Lewyn
4 Luthier
5 Valbar
6 Kliff
7 Xane
8 Maribelle
9 Tibarn
10 Naesala
11 Haar
12 Astrid
13 Reyson
14 Jill
15 Canas
16 Greil
17 Marcia
18 Cormag
19 Lena
20 Tanith
21 Caineghis
22 Knoll
23 Pent
24 Idoun
25 Rath
26 Ced
27 Mareeta
28 Sue
29 Echidna
30 Kurthnaga
31 Sephiran
32 Ashnard
33 Altena
34 Stefan
35 Shinon
36 Dheginsea
37 Erinys
38 Conrad
39 Mila
40 Elphin

Top half seems okay, bottom half I'd mostly agree with but has some signs of where I was starting to get bored with the thing (like, I probably wouldn't actually put Idoun or Mila that high, really).

By game:
- Shadow Dragon/Mystery of the Emblem: 2
- Gaiden/Shadows of Valentia: 6
- Genealogy/Thracia 776: 5
- Binding Blade: 4
- Blazing Blade: 3
- Sacred Stones: 2
- Path of Radiance: 16 (guess which is my favourite game in the series)
- Awakening: 1
- Fates: 1 (but one important one)

So, on this basis, we should be having many more Tellius banners, including actually adding laguz units; more Shadows of Valentia banners, some way of making Xane work in Heroes, and a banner where Forrest is the only character you can pull. :p

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Wait, really? I always assumed Castlevania was well-known, or at least the original NES game.

---
Castlevania was definitely known before. It's just more prominent when it comes to mocking Konami nowadays, especially after that one Pachinko game. But at the very least, anybody who's watched AVGN definitely knows about Castlevania, since he's a known fan of the series.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I don’t watch riverdale but I was thinking:

Let’s have the punisher show up. He has a show, Archie has a show, he came to kill Archie that one time in the comics.

How could you not adapt this marvel? It’s a great cross promotion

D

Deleted member

According to my CV sources, they say that Alucard would be a much better candidate for Smash rather than Simon.
Hmmm... What may these sources be.... Hmmmm....
Simon came first. Alucard came second(alongside Trevor, Sypha and Grant). Also, Simon represents the Belmont Clan who are important in every game. Simon was even part of the Lords of Darkness games. Simon has first dibs if Konami doesn't say otherwise.
I'd argue for a series like Castlevania, who came first really doesn't matter. Since it spans over such a loooooooooong period of time with a lot of games with a lot of protagonists.Not even all have Belmonts in them aside from reference. Though they aren't referenced AT ALL in Order of Ecclessia or Circle of the Moon. Even when the Morris family gets the Vampire Killer, the Lecarde family gets the Alucard Spear which is on par with the Vampire Killer.

I'd say, CV revolves around Dracula rather than anything else. Pretty much every CV plot ends up revolving around him.

Second most prominent character would be Alucard. He's had a pretty consistent design since SotN. Aside from Judgement, but you know Judgement's character designs, still looked like himself relative to most characters in that game including Simon, who couldn't decide what he wanted to look like. Which granted is more so a problem due to that age of games, but there's definitely characters who were able to keep an overall consistent design from that era. Hell, I'd even say Trevor. And while his designs are pretty different, he at least as a look that makes it so you can tell he's Trevor. Same with Richter. Simon's just never really had that even in his early days.

Closest thing for Simon would be his Conan look he had on the boxart of his early games including the first, which is fair enough, though even that varies.(Not including the more noble looking Simon from Simon's quest boxart.)

IDK man, it just seems like Alucard has been more relevant and prominent throughout the years. Granted we're talking about two different eras of Castlevania. Ideally I'd like Alucard and a Belmont. But if it came between the two, I'd say Alucard. He alone has been as prominent as the Belmont Clan for awhile.

He was even on the Netflix logo on his own last time I when I first watched the Netflix series a few days ago.
Screenshot (326).png

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Castlevania has always been popular. Simon, Alucard and Dracula were always names I saw thrown around over the years on the internet.

Or at least it's something I always saw around through osmosis, having only picked up a couple of the games some years ago.
Every single time I've had Simon in my sig, up to and including this one, someone has to ask who the **** he is, lol.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
Every single time I've had Simon in my sig, up to and including this one, someone has to ask who the **** he is, lol.
to be fair a lot of people dont really remember how he looks in offical artwork
(dosent help hes had like 3 diffrent designs throughout the years)
bonus time heres simon belmonts arcade debut

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
So I got bored and used the Fire Emblem sorter to see who my most wanted characters for Heroes are.
View attachment 145871
Top 24 because why not.

Breakdown time:
Shadow Dragon/New Mystery: 9
Shadows of Valentia: 5
The Blazing Blade: 2
The Sacred Stones: 2
Awakening: 5
Fates: 1

tl;dr: We need an Archanea banner.
Agreed, both it and Elibe haven't gotten dedicated banners in nearly a year, they're in desperate need of new characters.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
All this talk of Simon possibly in Smash is making me want to boot up DreamMix TV: World Fighters again to play as him.

D

Deleted member

Simon is just as, if not more, prominent than Alucard. He has appeared in:
-Castlevania
-Castlevania II
-Haunted Castle
-Super Castlevania IV
-Castlevania Chronicles
-Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance
-Castlevania Portrait of Darkness(as a cameo)
-Castlevania Judgement
-Castlevania Harmony of Despair
-Castlevania Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate

Also, Simon has also appeared in alot more crossovers than Alucard, as he appeared in many of the Konami Wai Wai World games, was a secret boss in Contra Hard Corps, fought against the likes of Solid Snake, Optimus Prime, Megatron, Bomberman, etc in DreamMix TV World Fighters, competed against Solid Snake, Pyramid Head and even Frogger in New International Track & Field, and appeared as a playable Bomber character in the newest Super Bomberman R. I believe there was also a Konami skateboarding game that also had Simon as playable.

So Simon is certainly more prominent, if not one of the mascots of Castlevania, than Alucard, especially when it comes to crossovers. Even if he's not so much popular by "today's standards", he's certainly not in Konami's "The Nobodies" books.
For Alucard:
-Castlevania 3
-Bloodlines(referenced)
-Castlevania SotN
-Castlevania Resurrection
-Aria of Sorrow
-Dawn of Sorrow
-Portrait of Ruin(referenced)
-Judgement
-Harmony of Despair
-Lords of Shadow
-Lords of Shadow 2
-Mirror of Fate

They're pretty close. If you don't include Bloodlines and Portrait of Ruin, they're tied. Also didn't include small spin offs like Encore of the Night.

Not saying Simon has no chance or is irrelevant, just saying Alucard has way more of a chance than people think he has when it comes to which CV character gets in. I think the Netflix series definitely helps, especially if it continues.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
But if it came between the two, I'd say Alucard. He alone has been as prominent as the Belmont Clan for awhile.
Not to mention SotN is basically the standard each subsequent CV game is measured by. I've preferred Alucard ever since speculation has been a thing. He is easily the most diverse playable character there has ever been in a standard Castlevania. However, you can't mention the word Castlevania without mentioning Belmont. That is the only reason I ever figured a Belmont had a better chance. Not the way I'd want it, but it seemed like a Belmont would always have a better chance.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
personalyl i want soma cruz for a castlevania rep i mean the dude has the best possible moveset

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
personalyl i want soma cruz for a castlevania rep i mean the dude has the best possible moveset
Crazy talk.

Alucard's SotN animations alone make him a shoo in (that double jump....c'mon). Add his transformations to the mix, and no one can even come close to how cool it would be to have him as the CV rep.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Richter Belmont for Smash, but with his original Rondo look to have 4 pissed headband dudes :4myfriends::4ryu::4feroy:

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Simon handles his whip better than Trevor. Trevor just knows how to flip around more.

---

Edit:

Besides

Simon is the last of the Captain N game characters needed
All the more reason not to have him then. :troll:

Yeah, but doesn't Simon have the problem of not having a consistent design, which could make people not recognise him?

Troykv

Smash Master
I've been learning how to use Micaiah as an enemy phase unit.
She's a ****ing beast.

Dude is my most wanted newcomer next to Mythra; Castlevania IV is my ****ing jam.
Micaiah is a really good unit <3

I also would like to have Simon in Smash.

D

Deleted member

Crazy talk.

Alucard's SotN animations alone make him a shoo in (that double jump....c'mon). Add his transformations to the mix, and no one can even come close to how cool it would be to have him as the CV rep.
And if you want to crank that up further. Make him an amalgamation character like kirby. You can give have moves with his sword in smash that he would use with other swords like rapid slash moves in SotN. Or even hand to hand to stuff like the drop kick or rapid punches. LMAO, Hadoukens out his fists if you want to go crazy.

Or like Shisho and I were talking about in private, levitate his sword like he does in the Netflix show or the sword familiar when he's used as a weapon.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
For Alucard:
-Castlevania 3
-Bloodlines(referenced)
-Castlevania SotN
-Aria of Sorrow
-Dawn of Sorrow
-Judgement
-Harmony of Despair
-Lords of Shadow
-Lords of Shadow 2
-Mirror of Fate

They're pretty close. If you don't include Bloodlines and Portrait of Ruin, they're tied.

Not saying Simon has no chance or is irrelevant, just saying Alucard has way more of a chance than people think he has when it comes to which CV character gets in. I think the Netflix series definitely helps, especially if it continues.
Alucard is the primary protagonist of one, single game. It's a really good game, this is true. But it's the only one he stars in. He's been a recruitable party member in a couple others, but mechanically, he's an outlier within the franchise. He plays vastly different than any of the other characters, and that's a detriment, not a strength.

Mechanically Simon, Trevor, Richter, et al are all interchangeabe, by design. Because the series is one of the few classic series with an actual attempt at chronlogical narrative, with actual time passing, the various characters are all functionally the same character, gameplay wise, even if they're narratively separate. It's not inherently any different than all the various Links, except in this case, there's an actual clear delineation between them.

Alucard will remain an important story element; that's only natural given the fact that he's a) immortal, and b) the son of the primary antagonist. But he's not indicative of the way the franchise in general plays.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
And if you want to crank that up further. Make him an amalgamation character like kirby. You can give have moves with his sword in smash that he would use with other swords like rapid slash moves in SotN. Or even hand to hand to stuff like the drop kick or rapid punches. LMAO, Hadoukens out his fists if you want to go crazy.

Or like Shisho and I were talking about in private, levitate his sword like he does in the Netflix show or the sword familiar when he's used as a weapon.
And to add to that, he has summoning abilities, magic spells, and as the wikia states, "Alucard mastered a variety of weapons". I think that should cover a whip (and any other weapon) in case people think the vampire killer should be present. :p

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
Crazy talk.

ahh you are so very unaware of somacruz's power i see as well
Soma is dracula reborn and as such has the abbility to absord the souls of monsters and use their powers as his own, such as being able to stop time, do the thigns dracula could do in his boss fight, summon a stand, transform into giant demons, a kamen rider esque dive kick, summon cats, summon fleamen, and so much more that its honestly too much to name

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Soma is dracula reborn and as such has the abbility to absord the souls of monsters and use their powers as his own, such as being able to stop time, do the thigns dracula could do in his boss fight, summon a stand, transform into giant demons, a kamen rider esque dive kick, summon cats, summon fleamen, and so much more that its honestly too much to name
But that name tho.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
And to add to that, he has summoning abilities, magic spells, and as the wikia states, "Alucard mastered a variety of weapons". I think that should cover a whip (and any other weapon) in case people think the vampire killer should be present. :p
Whips aren't one of the weapons he's mastered, unfortunately

Daggers, Swords, Chakram, Clubs, Nunchaku, Axes, Katana, Great Swords, Flails, "Fist Weapons", Shields, Rapiers, and Rods

But not whips

Ivander

Smash Legend
IDK man, it just seems like Alucard has been more relevant and prominent throughout the years. Granted we're talking about two different eras of Castlevania. Ideally I'd like Alucard and a Belmont. But if it came between the two, I'd say Alucard. He alone has been as prominent as the Belmont Clan for awhile
He's prominent, but nowhere near as prominent and important compared to the entire Belmont clan. Even in the games where a main member doesn't appear, you always have someone related or connected to the Belmonts in the games. Despite the Belmonts not appearing in Bloodlines, Portrait of Ruin, Order of Ecclesia, Castlevania 64 or Circle of the Moon, the playable characters are related to them through blood. The Belmont Clan is connected to Dracula and throughout the entire series, there's always one Belmont or relative around when Dracula is around.
Heck, the reason Symphony of the Night happened and Alucard awoke to deal with the situation was because Richter was missing when Dracula's Castle came back. In all the other games that aren't the Sorrow games or Castlevania 3, Alucard did nothing cause he wasn't needed, except in one case, where he's the one who gave a special Spear to Eric Lecarde. Even in the games where it was the relatives fighting, Alucard did not help them.

Alucard's importance comes from saving Richter Belmont and from his game's popularity influencing the series and introducing Metrovania, but when it comes to the whole series, the Belmonts are much more important because of their influence throughout all of the games.
-In Lament of Innocence, the vow of the Belmonts was made, to hunt the night and their signature weapon, the Vampire Killer is born.
-In Castlevania 3, they were feared and exiled and when Dracula came back, they had to find Trevor in order to defeat him.
-In Symphony of the Night, Alucard awoke because the last known Belmont was missing when Dracula awoke.
-Non-Belmonts had to do a ritual in order to wield the Vampire Killer. This ritual involved the non-Belmont to fight against the Spirit of the Whip, who took the form of Richter Belmont.
-The events of Order of Ecclesia happened because Albus stopped Shanoa's ritual and he saw the opportunity of using the last descendants of the Belmont Clan in order to counteract Dominus' death curse and stop Shanoa from killing herself. And in order to get the True Ending, you needed to rescue all of the Villagers, all of whom are the Belmont's descendants.
-In order to defeat Dracula for good, the Belmont Clan had to leave the fighting to their relatives until 1999, which would allow Julius Belmont to defeat Dracula for good.
For Alucard:
-Castlevania 3
-Bloodlines(referenced)
-Castlevania SotN
-Aria of Sorrow
-Dawn of Sorrow
-Judgement
-Harmony of Despair
-Lords of Shadow
-Lords of Shadow 2
-Mirror of Fate

They're pretty close. If you don't include Bloodlines and Portrait of Ruin, they're tied. Also didn't include small spin offs like Encore of the Night..
He was in the other 2 Shadow games, but he was never, ever, in the first Lords of Shadow game. Sure, there was that one trailer that featured Alucard, but we know where that went. Also, why are you including a cancelled game? Or did you mean, Castlevania The Adventure with Sonia Belmont? The game that was declared non-canon?

Last edited:

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Whips aren't one of the weapons he's mastered, unfortunately

Daggers, Swords, Chakram, Clubs, Nunchaku, Axes, Katana, Great Swords, Flails, "Fist Weapons", Shields, Rapiers, and Rods

But not whips
He's half-vampire. He can master anything. 'Nuff said. :)

To everyone else: I'm not really debating that Alucard has more of a chance, I know it is unlikely compared to someone with the name Belmont. I am just of the opinion that he would be a much more interesting addition. Again, just my opinion (and Prince's). If there is a Castlevania rep, I have no delusions that he would get in over a Belmont. Maybe if there was more than one rep.

D

Deleted member

Alucard is the primary protagonist of one, single game. It's a really good game, this is true. But it's the only one he stars in. He's been a recruitable party member in a couple others, but mechanically, he's an outlier within the franchise. He plays vastly different than any of the other characters, and that's a detriment, not a strength.
I mean, he's practically playable Dracula. Nothing more prominent in CV than Dracula. I agree that A Belmont is more likely, with Simon being the most likely due to his name and recognition. But I'm just sayin', been on par with the Belmonts throughout recent years. I'd say Alucard is the most likely rep for the Metroidvania era and Simon is the most likely rep for the classic era.

I just think that Alucard would fit in more than Simon would, admittedly I don't really like Conan Simon that much.(From that era, I prefer Simon's quest Simon or Trevor) But that's just my opinion, doesn't hurt his chances at all. At the end of the day this is all really just subjective and I'd be happy for ANY CV rep.

Soma's pretty much like Alucard mechanically. So again, he basically works like a playable Dracula. Only primarily playable Belmont during the metroidvania games was Juste. Who to be fair, I think is pretty cool.

He's prominent, but nowhere near as prominent and important compared to the entire Belmont clan. Even in the games where a main member doesn't appear, you always have someone related or connected to the Belmonts in the games. Despite the Belmonts not appearing in Bloodlines, Portrait of Ruin, Order of Ecclesia, Castlevania 64 or Circle of the Moon, the playable characters are related to them through blood. The Belmont Clan is connected to Dracula and throughout the entire series, there's always one Belmont or relative around when Dracula is around.
Heck, the reason Symphony of the Night happened and Alucard awoke to deal with the situation was because Richter was missing when Dracula's Castle came back. In all the other games that aren't the Sorrow games or Castlevania 3, Alucard did nothing cause he wasn't needed, except in one case, where he's the one who gave a special Spear to Eric Lecarde. Even in the games where it was the relatives fighting, Alucard did not help them.
You don't always have someone related to the Belmonts, mainly in Order of Ecclesia and Circle of the Moon. They are not related to the Belmonts by blood unless there's something I'm missing.

Belmonts also weren't around to help the Morris family, they only passed on the Vampire Killer. They disappeared after SotN. Unless you count the Whip's Memory of Richter.

Alucard's importance comes from saving Richter Belmont and from his game's popularity influencing the series and introducing Metrovania, but when it comes to the whole series, the Belmonts are much more important because of their influence throughout all of the games.
-In Lament of Innocence, the vow of the Belmonts was made, to hunt the night and their signature weapon, the Vampire Killer is born.
-In Castlevania 3, they were feared and exiled and when Dracula came back, they had to find Trevor in order to defeat him.
-In Symphony of the Night, Alucard awoke because the last known Belmont was missing when Dracula awoke.
-Non-Belmonts had to do a ritual in order to wield the Vampire Killer. This ritual involved the non-Belmont to fight against the Spirit of the Whip, who took the form of Richter Belmont.
-The events of Order of Ecclesia happened because Albus stopped Shanoa's ritual and he saw the opportunity of using the last descendants of the Belmont Clan in order to counteract Dominus' death curse and stop Shanoa from killing herself. And in order to get the True Ending, you needed to rescue all of the Villagers, all of whom are the Belmont's descendants.
-In order to defeat Dracula for good, the Belmont Clan had to leave the fighting to their relatives until 1999, which would allow Julius Belmont to defeat Dracula for good.
Those are all good points. I forgot about the villagers being Belmont descendants. But I had more so Belmont protagonists on my mind.

Obviously the absence of the Belmonts as vampire hunters is a huge deal to the story. But Alucard's absence is also a big deal as someone who could stop Dracula. Both have chosen family clans to stop Dracula up until the 1999 event.

Alucard's absence is mainly between pre-CV3(Lament of Innocence, obviously) and SotN in the timeline. So mainly Simon and Juste missed out on him.

I still think he had a pretty huge impact on the series though, like SotN is pretty well known and regarded just like the NES games. Like I said earlier, Simon for retro, Alucard for the new stuff. Just like the Belmonts are big part of Dracula's story throughout CV, I'd say Alucard, his very own son, is too. Especially since in SotN we learned how Dracula really became the vampire he is. Which is also in the Netflix series. But again, so is the Belmont's exile and such. The Belmont Clan and Alucard are both very important to the story and Dracula himself.

He was in the other 2 Shadow games, but he was never, ever, in the first Lords of Shadow game. Sure, there was that one trailer that featured Alucard, but we know where that went. Also, why are you including a cancelled game? Or did you mean, Castlevania The Adventure with Sonia Belmont? The game that was declared non-canon?
You're correct, he wasn't in Lord of Shadows one. I've never played through those games fully. I just looked it up and misread something. And I meant Castlevania Legends I got the two mixed up, I know it's not canon, but to be fair, you counted games that take place of the exact same event with Simon. So I thought I'd mine as well just count that. Haunted Castle's protagonist may not even be Simon. But I think it counts for Simon regardless.

I mean, basically, I'm not saying that the Belmont clan is irrelevant at all. Just saying that Alucard is of the same blood of the guy who the Belmont clan fights. If the Belmonts are all synonymous with eachother, I think Alucard is with Dracula himself. Same with Soma, but I don't expect him. Just think Alucard's got a fair shot like the Belmonts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom