• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
I guess I should expand on what I meant about the villain "outshining" the hero...

The best example I can think of right from the top of my head is Heath Ledger's Joker in The Dark Knight. Ledger's performance as The Joker ended up being so good and entertaining that he's the character people remember the most and think of fondly from the film. He's the character that ended up being the most "likeable" for how interesting he was as a character. Basically, it's the Evil is Cool trope done in a way where people cherished the bad guy more than they did the good guy.

The question I posed is how you would avert this trope by writing the villain in such a way where they are interesting characters still but at the same time the actions they take are just so detestable and "hateable" (is that even a word? lol) that you want to see the baddie get his just dessert in the worst way possible (i.e. these characters are complete monsters). TV Tropes dubbed this kind of villain on their site as "Hate Sink".

I know it's a particularly tall order to write a character like this because they inevitably come off to the viewer as being "cool" or "being a badass". I'm saying this because I have a villain in mind for a certain story I have where my villain still has a sympathetic backstory but the actions he undertakes are done in a way where it completely overshadows those traits and serves to torment the main hero of the story in the most gross, diabolical ways possible.

Redemption arcs are great as well. Bad guys gone good is a favorite trope of mine in a lot of fictional works though I don't think every villain is prime material for that. Others should stay pure evil and sadistic.

What I had in mind are villains who aren't played for laughs and are just complete monsters. The ones that you the viewer end up wanting to see get punished in the worst way possible.

Although that's not to say comedic villains don't have their place of course. There's room in a story for all the types of villains.

In terms of motivations and whatnot I could def see that being the case. Especially if said character's motivations was sympathetic like trying to help those they care about at the expense of others. Even if it means working for the big bad.
Well one easy hate sink character I can think of that is done well, is the little piece of **** Kyuubey from Madoka Magica, becaue he spends the whole series manpulating the girls and trying to get what he says he needs to save the universe from dying from heat death, its left ambigous if his race is actually doing it or not.

But when in Rebellion, when Homura gets her devil powers, what she does to the little **** is so satisfying, since the little ******* got what was coming to him, and how she effectively just made him her *****, after that was so nice to see he will be tormented for the rest of his days.

America? Make peace with Aliens?

Not bloody likely.
Yeah, they'd be to busy trying to give the aliens 'freedom'. :troll:

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
>México makes peace with aliens
>We add them to our society
>Drug Lords absorb them into their cartels
>They get their tech
>The Lords reveal against the aliens and release jailed Kingpins to lead the new anti-alien army
>El Chapo saves the earth

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
So my question to you guys is what type of villain is your favorite and why?
I personally quite like both sympathetic and unsympathetic villains.

However, if I had to pick one or the other, I'd have to pick sympathetic villains. Namely, one's that have a backstory where it's possible for the audience to sympathize with them.

On the other side of things, my favorite kinds of villains that aren't sympathetic are ones that can manipulate the heroes well and use them as a part of their plans. Specific examples that come to mind for me are Xehanort, Ganondorf, and Sephiroth.

So yeah, both work for me depending on how they are executed.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
So my question to you guys is what type of villain is your favorite and why?

And also how would you go about writing a villain that you don't want the viewer to like at all? Like doing everything you can to make the viewer hate said character and eliminating any traits a viewer might find "cool" or "appealing" about the character?
I like different different villains for a myriad of reasons, but my favorite type of villain is the type that is almost an evil force of nature rather than a person. This "force" draws followers through promises of power or riches. Pretty much it appeals to the darker side of a person's psyche. Examples of what I am talking about is villains like Sauron from LotR who doesn't exist in material form (anymore) or Shai'tan from Wheel of Time. Or, Evil Dead type of evil.

I also like villains who are the direct result of something the hero does/did in a story; the result of a mistake or hubris. In A Wizard of Earthsea, the protagonist, Ged, was responsible for an evil loosened into the world, and it becomes his quest to figure out how to vanquish it. I can't really expand on it without ruining the ending, but I'll just say I loved the story.

D

Deleted member

Yeah the foil type is good as well. Especially when the villain has similar goals but is the polar opposite to the hero as you mentioned. Tying in to what I mentioned about The Joker. The Joker and Batman are so similar yet so different which makes their relationship so interesting.

That's not to say that Batman isn't interesting of course. It's just that in that particular film it was The Joker who resonated the most with the audience and in a weird way was the most "appealing" to them. It's the trap with villains when they do things that make them come across as cool and badass. For a true, hateable villain I think it's important to avert this trope as much as possible.

That is a good point. Heroes typically have similar motivations (save the day and everything is merry/happy) while villains are the ones who's actions come across as "appealing" to the viewer because of how outlandish they are with their ways. I think it might tie in to our real lives in that heroes tend to be more like us (normal people with standard lives) where as villains are the one with complete disregard authority (or in some cases establish their own corrupt authority). Things that a normal person wouldn't be able to do.

They'll force them to open a McDonalds branch on their planet lmao. :laugh:
Don't think writers need to avoid making villains seem "cool" to make them hateable. A great example is Kefka from FFVI, it's easy to find him cool for all the **** he's managed to do and achieve(like becoming a literal God, for example) but the game makes double-triple-quadruple sure to make him as hateable as possible. He's the perfect example of how to make evil look cool but hateable at the same time.
I guess making the villain a hard opponent to be defeated is a way to make them be hated, making them escape their karma each and every single time that every encounter with them fuels this feeling of wanting to make then pay.

Chrono.

>México makes peace with aliens
>We add them to our society
>Drug Lords absorb them into their cartels
>They get their tech
>The Lords reveal against the aliens and release jailed Kingpins to lead the new anti-alien army
>El Chapo saves the earth
When you click refresh and this is the newest post and you got no context of the last few pages.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I personally quite like both sympathetic and unsympathetic villains.

However, if I had to pick one or the other, I'd have to pick sympathetic villains. Namely, one's that have a backstory where it's possible for the audience to sympathize with them.

On the other side of things, my favorite kinds of villains that aren't sympathetic are ones that can manipulate the heroes well and use them as a part of their plans. Specific examples that come to mind for me are Xehanort, Ganondorf, and Sephiroth.

So yeah, both work for me depending on how they are executed.
Indeed. Different baddies for when the story calls for it.
I like different different villains for a myriad of reasons, but my favorite type of villain is the type that is almost an evil force of nature rather than a person. This "force" draws followers through promises of power or riches. Pretty much it appeals to the darker side of a person's psyche. Examples of what I am talking about is villains like Sauron from LotR who doesn't exist in material form (anymore) or Shai'tan from Wheel of Time. Or, Evil Dead type of evil.

I also like villains who are the direct result of something the hero does/did in a story; the result of a mistake or hubris. In A Wizard of Earthsea, the protagonist, Ged, was responsible for an evil loosened into the world, and it becomes his quest to figure out how to vanquish it. I can't really expand on it without ruining the ending, but I'll just say I loved the story.
The idea of a "particular" force being the main driving factor for someone to become evil is actually a very interesting concept and one that I actually had in mind for the story I mentioned. Basically, it had to deal with the nations of the world being corrupt as hell and them fighting neverending wars for power, resources, etc. Which then leads to the villain losing his sanity when he finds out the actions of these nations and devotes his life to destroying mankind; all the while becoming a monster himself.

Of course the promise of "riches" and "power" as a driving force to make characters do horrible things works well to. Would also tie in very well to real life where certain people in the world do selfish things for their own self-benefit even at the expense of others.
Don't think writers need to avoid making villains seem "cool" to make them hateable. A great example is Kefka from FFVI, it's easy to find him cool for all the **** he's managed to do and achieve(like becoming a literal God, for example) but the game makes double-triple-quadruple sure to make him as hateable as possible. He's the perfect example of how to make evil look cool but hateable at the same time.
I guess making the villain a hard opponent to be defeated is a way to make them be hated, making them escape their karma each and every single time that every encounter with them fuels this feeling of wanting to make then pay.
They can be both of course. Just a lot more on the hateable side then on the cool one.

At the end of the day when a viewer recalls their experience with a fictional work they should remember said character in a very negative light. i.e. The one that they hated and wanted to see get what's coming to them. There's a lot of angles to that of course.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Part 2

September 23rd, 17381

After building the bases that he established, all the nations’ leaders meet with Dictator Vandrox in Hong Kong, China. Dictator Vandrox shows mercy and does not declare war, however he wants the world to do anything he says. This obviously will cause controversy. The nations give in and now the Earth will listen to what Dictator Vandrox says. Fear is rising extremely high, as the citizens fear that this is one step to Dictator Vandrox controlling the world.

October 29th, 17381

Dictator Vandrox invites everyone to a meeting this time in the Versailles Palace in France. An ultimatum is made, where the dictator gets to choose land for his troops to settle in. They must decide in two weeks. If the nations do not, Vandrox threatens his supership will destroy the planet. In which it can. The nations immediately give in to the dictator’s demands. They will have to use appeasement to survive. He creates land for the troops. Vandrox wants the nations to do the work and to build him the bases. If one building looks off, he will destroy Earth. If you are curious how the Xodens are communicating with the humans, the Xodens have machines that can scan language and figure things out smoothly.
XOOO#.png

D

Deleted member

Part 2

September 23rd, 17381

After building the bases that he established, all the nations’ leaders meet with Dictator Vandrox in Hong Kong, China. Dictator Vandrox shows mercy and does not declare war, however he wants the world to do anything he says. This obviously will cause controversy. The nations give in and now the Earth will listen to what Dictator Vandrox says. Fear is rising extremely high, as the citizens fear that this is one step to Dictator Vandrox controlling the world.

October 29th, 17381

Dictator Vandrox invites everyone to a meeting this time in the Versailles Palace in France. An ultimatum is made, where the dictator gets to choose land for his troops to settle in. They must decide in two weeks. If the nations do not, Vandrox threatens his supership will destroy the planet. In which it can. The nations immediately give in to the dictator’s demands. They will have to use appeasement to survive. He creates land for the troops. Vandrox wants the nations to do the work and to build him the bases. If one building looks off, he will destroy Earth. If you are curious how the Xodens are communicating with the humans, the Xodens have machines that can scan language and figure things out smoothly.
View attachment 143997
Going to tag you guys. Sorry if I am annoying. I will stop tagging if you guys want me to.
@Opossum @vaanrose @Swampasaur @The Stoopid Unikorn
You four want to make a PM about this or keep it in here?
The reason why I have not shared it to red's story thread is because I am not done.

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The idea of a "particular" force being the main driving factor for someone to become evil is actually a very interesting concept and one that I actually had in mind for the story I mentioned. Basically, it had to deal with the nations of the world being corrupt as hell and them fighting neverending wars for power, resources, etc. Which then leads to the villain losing his sanity when he finds out the actions of these nations and devotes his life to destroying mankind; all the while becoming a monster himself.
In Wheel of Time, the evil force has tainted the source of magic that men draw from. For that reason, male channellers are hunted down by females and cut off from the magic source. The main protagonist, Rand, is of course a "chosen one" character that is able to draw from the male source of power called saidin. The catch is, since the male source is tainted, it eventually causes the male users to lose their sanity and they go mad. His madness is that he develops a dual personality of sorts that is him from his previous life. His previous self, Lews Therin, went completely mad and killed all of his family. Male channellers from the previous age all went mad and broke the world.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
On my first day using the Ares 90 in XCX I killed Barnabas, the Despot.

Then I proceeded to kill him 10 more times.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
In Wheel of Time, the evil force has tainted the source of magic that men draw from. For that reason, male channellers are hunted down by females and cut off from the magic source. The main protagonist, Rand, is of course a "chosen one" character that is able to draw from the male source of power called saidin. The catch is, since the male source is tainted, it eventually causes the male users to lose their sanity and they go mad. His madness is that he develops a dual personality of sorts that is him from his previous life. His previous self, Lews Therin, went completely mad and killed all of his family. Male channellers from the previous age all went mad and broke the world.

That's actually deep as hell lol.
In other news.
https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2018...hedule-appears-be-much-healthier-time-around/

Thank **** man.
Seriously thank God dude is ****in mad I'm glad he was able to do an actual schedule and not kill himself for Smash.
Dude got admitted to the hospital once working. I worry about the guy sometimes lol.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Dude got admitted to the hospital once working. I worry about the guy sometimes lol.
I mean look man, I love the Smash, it's a fine game and all.
But it's vidja games it's fine. It's fine. I know this fanbase is an absolute hellhole sometimes but I'm hoping most people wouldn't mind if you didn't break yourself making the video game.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Suddenly hype

I don't know how many of you are in to Smash Bros Legacy (a Brawl hack ala Project M) but they have a new build that just came out today.

They even have a Ganondorf that actually plays the way he does in the Legend of Zelda games. Something I really want out of the official Smash games.

There's so much content packed in the mod. It's crazy.

Chrono.

Suddenly hype

I don't know how many of you are in to Smash Bros Legacy (a Brawl hack ala Project M) but they have a new build that just came out today.

They even have a Ganondorf that actually plays the way he does in the Legend of Zelda games. Something I really want out of the official Smash games.

I've been meaning to check this out.

Now I have a reason.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I've been meaning to check this out.

Now I have a reason.
Yeah the fact that the devs have been going this long is admirable considering most Smash modders give up or disappear after a while.

D

Deleted member

Suddenly hype

Yo sick, I even just pulled out my Wii (bought a Sony CRT recently) so I'll definitely check this out.

-edit-

I just realized how this sounded...****.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Suddenly hype

...They totally just teased X at the end there.

As if I needed any more reason to get into this.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Pokemon GO gets extremely meta.
They know...;)

It's too bad people kept looking in the wrong location for Mew. They all frantically looked under a truck when in reality he/she was chilling in the route north of Cerulean City. :bee:
...They totally just teased X at the end there.

As if I needed any more reason to get into this.
Which is weird cause Megaman isn't even in this build yet lol.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
They know...;)

It's too bad people kept looking in the wrong location for Mew. They all frantically looked under a truck when in reality he/she was chilling in the route north of Cerulean City. :bee:

Which is weird cause Megaman isn't even in this build yet lol.
Fine by me. I don't really need any 4 characters backported, it always feels really weird to me.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Fine by me. I don't really need any 4 characters backported, it always feels really weird to me.
I would rather their own take on Megaman really. Or even have Megaman X to complement Zero.

Of course if it were up to me my boy Volnutt would be in the game. ;)

D

Deleted member

Typing on Windows 8.1 32-bit virtual machine over here. Runs smooth but cracks up the fan a bit. Pretty good though.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Suddenly hype

I remember that canon Ganon mod.

Nice to see it's in a modpack like this one now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom