• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
So my question to you guys is what type of villain is your favorite and why?
I like all kinds of villains, but I do enjoy seeing those who are lower than the top in the hierarchy, simply because their perspective and motives for following their leader could lead to some really interesting situations.

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
It turns out I actually did manage to beat Stormy Ascent and get the clear gem.
I managed to go from 88 lives to 45, so it did take me quite a while to clear it, but it was worth it.

And now that that's done, I suppose the next logical step is to play Crash 2 next.
-------------------------------------------
I also beat Metroid: Samus Returns earlier today.
The only other 2D Metroid game that I've played is Super Metroid, but at the moment, I think that Samus Returns might be my favorite of the 2D Metroids. Personally, I really liked some of the quality of life changes in the game, such as the ability to pin certain parts of the map for later and the introduction of Teleport Stations to make backtracking easier.
I feel like the Aeion abilities as well, my favorite of which being the Beam Burst.
I did notice that it was a bit harder than Super Metroid was.(Not necessarily a bad thing though) Having the Reserve Tank from the :4zss: amiibo helped me out quite a lot throughout the game.

Overall, it was a lot of fun and it might be one of my favorite 3DS games now.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I don't know if this was posted here but it is pretty well made if fake:

D

Deleted member

Should I make a conflict between nations in it? I feel a bit scared to do it, as it might make me look a little racist.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
On a BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle note since I saw some people discussing it - I think I've waned back in favour of it, even if the whole DLC controversy still puts a sour taste in my mouth. I'd love to try the beta, but it's not available in the Australian eShop or PlayStation Store right now, so I'll just have to wait until either it appears at a later stage, or wait until launch (Or until Merkava gets added in)

Side-note on BBTAG some of these alt-colours I've seen are pretty neat. Grim Reapa Gambit, Rachel the Human, Snow White...

As for coming up with character names, I guess it sort of depends on what sort of story and world that they'll live in. Or it could be a meaningful name, a reference to something or someone mythological or historical figure. As long as it's a believable name for both the audience and the world the character belongs in.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ah villain names.

They're hard.

For example we're trying to think of a good name for our main villain.

Most of our characters use real world names as the story takes place on a world very similar to ours (same countries and what not), so several of our villains have real world names. Making a name for a character who wouldn't even be a part of that is hard.

Along with other plot things that make him even harder to name.

But yeah @ShinyLegendary

How the name sounds is super important. It's why our comic relief characters are named Frankie and Buford while some of the villains are named Friedrich and Jack.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I like all kinds of villains, but I do enjoy seeing those who are lower than the top in the hierarchy, simply because their perspective and motives for following their leader could lead to some really interesting situations.
Ahh so you mean like the baddies who are like the henchmen with the secret plot to overthrow their superior and claim power for themselves right?

Or just like low level grunts with objectives of their own in a villainous organization?

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Ahh so you mean like the baddies who are like the henchmen with the secret plot to overthrow their superior and claim power for themselves right?

Or just like low level grunts with objectives of their own in a villainous organization?
Either, honestly.

Or people who serve them because they have no other choice.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
So...

I had a thought that's been on my mind that sort of ties is to what @Shishœ mentioned a while back about what makes a villain beyond the point of redemption and what makes a villain's ambition more "sympathetic" than the hero's.

That made me think of the different kinds of villains in fictional works and how a writer goes about creating their character in a certain way to elicit a certain emotional response from the viewer/audience.

Some write their villains to have sympathetic motives or have a sympathetic backstory to them to make the readers feel sorry for the character. This is usually done when the villain's backstory is one filled with tragedy, misery, and whatnot.

And then there's the kind of villains that are written in a way where the writer wants you, the audience to absolutely hate/despise said character and does everything to make them unlikable; often times doing everything they can to make the characters have the least amount of likeable qualities. This is done in various different ways like having the main villain destroy the lives the hero cherishes or just making the hero's life a living hell in general.

These are the kinds of villains who I like the best in the story IMO. Those are the ones who truly serve their purposes well of serving as a foil to the main protagonist and don't overshadow the main character by being "too cool" or "too much of a badass" which usually makes the audience have a kind of; shall we say a certain "fondness" for the villain because of their cool actions. That's a sort of "trap" I think villains fall in to when they become more relateable to the viewer than the hero.

Of course even though my preference is with the latter, there is no objective "better" type of villain. I like my sympathetic villains when done right even though I appreciate the truly despicable ones a lot more for the reasons I mentioned above. And that's not to say that these two are mutually exclusive of course. I just like it when a villain is full on evil with little to no redeemable traits.

And also how would you go about writing a villain that you don't want the viewer to like at all? Like doing everything you can to make the viewer hate said character and eliminating any traits a viewer might find "cool" or "appealing" about the character?
I like the villains that give up on being villains and become good guys. :4dk:

I don't know, I guess I just like redemption arcs better than heroes or villains on their own. Someone who's deeply flawed in a legitimately bad guy way instead of a "gee that's depressing" or "you're putting us all in danger" way learning how to be a better person. And the hilarious personalities that characters like that often get.

If push comes to shove and I had to pick a straight up villain, remorseless-yet-funny tends to be the most popcorn worthy personality when done right. But more than anything I like the Sour Patch Kids flavor zingy sweetness of the bad guy begrudgingly learning how to be a legitimate good guy.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
And I hardly even come up with character names because I'm awful at it, despite NEEDING character names. And when I do make them they're super basic and awful and more placeholders than anything.

Like, have a six foot tall lizard woman gladiator mercenary? Nothing. Have a guy that's a Latino zoologist/veterinarian on contract with a US/diet US military taskforce? Nada. Backstory albino medieval bishonen prince with the personality of a cinnamon roll? Hahahah you have too high of hopes for me.

Guuuuuh how do you people do the name thing so easily? Is it self confidence?
Ish'tala.

Santiago.

Prince Vasu.

Granted, one would probably need more to go on for each character to come up with a most fitting name. But there's a springboard.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
I'm not allowed to talk about anything Sonic related on the internet as you can see why has evidence with the last few pages
I mean yeah I could share my opinions but we saw how that turned out
Everyone has their own opinions on certain topics, Gravity. That doesn't mean you should stop liking what you like: this place is meant to be a place of discussions and opinions, after all: it's only natural that there will be some disagreements and differing opinions every now and then. Even then, I encourage you to continue liking Sonic 06: it's your opinion that you like it, and nobody should tell you differently.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
It's the way you said it that struck people the wrong way.

"Sonic 06 is better than Adventure 2", which is what you said, makes it sound like you're stating that as a fact, the "2+2=4" kind of fact.

You should've formulated things in a way that made it more apparent that you were just sharing an opinion.

We'd still have shared our opinion but at least, we wouldn't have taken yours the wrong way to begin with.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
You said it yourself no wonder the mods don't want to help him
I will say that @Kokonoe did apologize earlier for what he had said: he didn't mean any harm from his statement at all. In addition, @Hat N' Clogs encouraged you to take a breather earlier as well, which shows that he cares about you and wants to help you feel better, Gravity.

Last edited:
I have twice in one day deleted important moves from my pokemon by trying to learn a new move because Crystal doesn't ask "are you sure" and does the prompt weird.

yay wasted time since I cant relearn moves until the end of the game so I have to reset. . .
:061:

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
If I let sharing controversial opinions and the potential backlash from them scare me, then I'd probably be a lot worse off. I'm pretty sure I've made a number of people hate my guts on this site but I still keep going. You just need to learn to not let what other people say get to you, and if it's a debate/argument, know that it's OK to stop replying, because doing so isn't necessarily an admittance of defeat or something.

Also, I very likely would never have met one of my best friends if it weren't for my habit of sometimes saying ridiculous things.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I have twice in one day deleted important moves from my pokemon by trying to learn a new move because Crystal doesn't ask "are you sure" and does the prompt weird.

yay wasted time since I cant relearn moves until the end of the game so I have to reset. . .
:061:
I guess the directions weren't...

...Crystal Clear.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If I had a nickel for every nickel I had. I would have two nickels.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Well, she is a Gormotti... So it is possible.

I can tell the character is spoiler then lol.

And according to reddit....
Someone says that Morag looks a lot like
View attachment 143967 this person Misato from Evangelion 3.0....
No...not a spoiler, just someone who is supposed to be very obvious.
<----

D

Deleted member

There is this one image that will not load.
I am really salty.
Like I am not kidding.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I guess I should expand on what I meant about the villain "outshining" the hero...

The best example I can think of right from the top of my head is Heath Ledger's Joker in The Dark Knight. Ledger's performance as The Joker ended up being so good and entertaining that he's the character people remember the most and think of fondly from the film. He's the character that ended up being the most "likeable" for how interesting he was as a character. Basically, it's the Evil is Cool trope done in a way where people cherished the bad guy more than they did the good guy.

The question I posed is how you would avert this trope by writing the villain in such a way where they are interesting characters still but at the same time the actions they take are just so detestable and "hateable" (is that even a word? lol) that you want to see the baddie get his just dessert in the worst way possible (i.e. these characters are complete monsters). TV Tropes dubbed this kind of villain on their site as "Hate Sink".

I know it's a particularly tall order to write a character like this because they inevitably come off to the viewer as being "cool" or "being a badass". I'm saying this because I have a villain in mind for a certain story I have where my villain still has a sympathetic backstory but the actions he undertakes are done in a way where it completely overshadows those traits and serves to torment the main hero of the story in the most gross, diabolical ways possible.

I don't know, I guess I just like redemption arcs better than heroes or villains on their own. Someone who's deeply flawed in a legitimately bad guy way instead of a "gee that's depressing" or "you're putting us all in danger" way learning how to be a better person. And the hilarious personalities that characters like that often get.

If push comes to shove and I had to pick a straight up villain, remorseless-yet-funny tends to be the most popcorn worthy personality when done right. But more than anything I like the Sour Patch Kids flavor zingy sweetness of the bad guy begrudgingly learning how to be a legitimate good guy.
Redemption arcs are great as well. Bad guys gone good is a favorite trope of mine in a lot of fictional works though I don't think every villain is prime material for that. Others should stay pure evil and sadistic.

What I had in mind are villains who aren't played for laughs and are just complete monsters. The ones that you the viewer end up wanting to see get punished in the worst way possible.

Although that's not to say comedic villains don't have their place of course. There's room in a story for all the types of villains.
Either way, people with a lower rank than the top dog can end up being more interesting than the main villain itself.
In terms of motivations and whatnot I could def see that being the case. Especially if said character's motivations was sympathetic like trying to help those they care about at the expense of others. Even if it means working for the big bad.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So...

I had a thought that's been on my mind that sort of ties is to what @Shishœ mentioned a while back about what makes a villain beyond the point of redemption and what makes a villain's ambition more "sympathetic" than the hero's.

That made me think of the different kinds of villains in fictional works and how a writer goes about creating their character in a certain way to elicit a certain emotional response from the viewer/audience.

Some write their villains to have sympathetic motives or have a sympathetic backstory to them to make the readers feel sorry for the character. This is usually done when the villain's backstory is one filled with tragedy, misery, and whatnot.

And then there's the kind of villains that are written in a way where the writer wants you, the audience to absolutely hate/despise said character and does everything to make them unlikable; often times doing everything they can to make the characters have the least amount of likeable qualities. This is done in various different ways like having the main villain destroy the lives the hero cherishes or just making the hero's life a living hell in general.

These are the kinds of villains who I like the best in the story IMO. Those are the ones who truly serve their purposes well of serving as a foil to the main protagonist and don't overshadow the main character by being "too cool" or "too much of a badass" which usually makes the audience have a kind of; shall we say a certain "fondness" for the villain because of their cool actions. That's a sort of "trap" I think villains fall in to when they become more relateable to the viewer than the hero.

Of course even though my preference is with the latter, there is no objective "better" type of villain. I like my sympathetic villains when done right even though I appreciate the truly despicable ones a lot more for the reasons I mentioned above. And that's not to say that these two are mutually exclusive of course. I just like it when a villain is full on evil with little to no redeemable traits.

And also how would you go about writing a villain that you don't want the viewer to like at all? Like doing everything you can to make the viewer hate said character and eliminating any traits a viewer might find "cool" or "appealing" about the character?
Oh hey someone remembered a thing I said.

Persinally, my favorite type of villain, to see and to write, is the one who acts as a Foil to the protagonist. The villain who opposes the hero in more than just physicially, one who is truly alike but so very different at the same time. My other favorite type of villain is the one who fully owns and accept their role as "the villain", which kinda relates to the Foil part because usually, you see these villains oppose a hero who is a hero for the sake of being a hero. It's why I love Shigaraki from MHA so much, he's a villain for the sake of being a villain, he's the perfect foil to Deku.

I like my sympathetic villains just as much but I feel like most of the time, fandoms will go to many great lengths to excuse these kinds of characters(See: Berkut from FE SoV). Seeing villains do non-villainous things is something I always like, but I especially love the Evil is One Big, Happy Family trope, because while evil having loved ones is also a trope I love when done right(see: Vulture in Spiderman Homecoming), I love seeing them interact in an envoirement where they don't really have to lie or hide anything about their nature. Which, hey, guess what? Relates to MHA and how the League of Villains is depicted, showing that villains care about their teammates just as much as the heroes do is such an incredibly effective yet simple way of making them more sympathetic and I can't express how much I love seeing it.
I guess I should expand on what I meant about the villain "outshining" the hero...

The best example I can think of right from the top of my head is Heath Ledger's Joker in The Dark Knight. Ledger's performance as The Joker ended up being so good and entertaining that he's the character people remember the most and think of fondly from the film. He's the character that ended up being the most "likeable" for how interesting he was as a character. Basically, it's the Evil is Cool trope done in a way where people cherished the bad guy more than they did the good guy.

The question I posed is how you would avert this trope by writing the villain in such a way where they are interesting characters still but at the same time the actions they take are just so detestable and "hateable" (is that even a word? lol) that you want to see the baddie get his just dessert in the worst way possible. TV Tropes dubbed this kind of villain on their site as "Hate Sink".

I know it's a particularly tall order to write a character like this because they inevitably come off to the viewer as being "cool" or "being a badass". I'm saying this because I have a villain in mind for a certain story I have where my villain still has a sympathetic backstory but the actions he undertakes are done in a way where it completely overshadows those traits and serves to torment the main hero of the story in the most gross, diabolical ways possible.

Redemption arcs are great as well. Bad guys gone good is a favorite trope of mine in a lot of fictional works though I don't think every villain is prime material for that. Others should stay pure evil and sadistic.

What I had in mind are villains who aren't played for laughs and are just complete monsters. The ones that you the viewer end up wanting to see get punished in the worst way possible.

Although that's not to say comedic villains don't have their place of course. There's room in a story for all the types of villains.

In terms of motivations and whatnot I could def see that being the case. Especially if said character's motivations was sympathetic like trying to help those they care about at the expense of others. Even if it means working for the big bad.
I can understand what you mean but, I can't really think of why villains steal their story's from the hero slotlight so easily. Maybe ir's an innate Evil is Cool thing but characters like Batman are just as interesting and complex as characters Joker so the katter wins by the evil points. Or it's because of the PoV, much like how we don't perceive ourselves as the best or coolest irl(unless we are incredibly full of ourselves but that's another issue), we don't see the character we're "supposed to be" as the coolest in the narrative. Thinking about it now, I can only think of two main characters that I like more than their main villains, those two being both from Fate, Kiritsugu and Shirou, and I think it's because both of them play with the classic heroic tropes we're so used to seeing.
Or hey, maybe that's it: maybe we as an audience are so tired of seeing heroes because they usually have the same motivations, while villains come in all shapes and sizes as far as motivations go.

D

Deleted member

All right! I made the map again.
Opossum Opossum vaanrose vaanrose Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei The Stoopid Unikorn The Stoopid Unikorn
You guys were the most interested in my fictional history lesson, so I made a map of nations about the Xoden case.
XOdennn.png

Any changes? I know there are a lot of neutral nations, but those guys want to focus more on development or something else rather than the space case, or they are too worried about the world getting into war with them. The neutral nations do not want to make a relationship with the Xodens due to the fear that if they try, than war could happen.

Edit: This post is a joke.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Any changes? I know there are a lot of neutral nations, but those guys want to focus more on development or something else rather than the space case, or they are too worried about the world getting into war with them. The neutral nations do not want to make a relationship with the Xodens due to the fear that if they try, than war could happen.
The USAs, willing to make relations with aliens?

Pretty sure they'd be the first to try and nuke the aliens' asses.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Opossum Opossum vaanrose vaanrose Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei The Stoopid Unikorn The Stoopid Unikorn
You guys were the most interested in my fictional history lesson, so I made a map of nations about the Xoden case.
View attachment 143990
America? Make peace with Aliens?

Not bloody likely.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Don't you dare **** on them, all those movies are ****ing great and I'll die for them if I need to.
Really dude, I mean I understand for most of those. But really for Chicken Little?

I tend to get Chicken Little confused with Chicken Run, the Dreamworks movie.

I have so much nostalgia for that movie and The Road to El Dorado. I fondly remember my family renting out those VHS's 18 years ago.

And the fact that I even mentioned VHS's makes me feel like an old man. :skull:
Don't ever compare Chicken Little to Chicken Run. Chicken Run is actually good.

That's a real weird spot to check your timeline, bro.

You missed a spot. A big spot, literally just before Chicken Little on that list.

This thing is critically lukewarm enough to compete in most circles with Black Cauldron and Chicken Little for worst Disney animated film, but even those didn't do its damage. It tanked Disney's entire traditional animation division.

Disney hadn't had a critically and commercially successful film since Lilo and Stitch at this point (Brother Bear had commercial success but lukewarm critical response, Treasure Planet had neither), but nothing had turned them off an entire animation style altogether. When Home On The Range didn't make its budget back, it made them literally shutter their traditional animation studios in favor of CGI and it took them five years and several mediocre movies to get them to change their minds.

Though Bolt was well-received, it had the misfortune of coming off Chicken Little and Meet the Robinsons, and a return to form wasn't acknowledged yet; people flip-flop on whether it should be in the Disney Revival or not. Princess and the Frog is uncontested though, not even sure why you included it.

[EDIT]: Can't believe that took me an hour to get together.

Yeesh.
I hate you red, I had finally managed to strike that movie from my memory. Why did you have to remind me of it?

Black Cauldron didn't deserve what it got. The world wasn't ready for such a bleak cartoon.
Didn't the Black Cauldron have like 20 mins cut from its run time?

Sonic '06 being actively opposed has nothing to do with Classic elitists being Classic elitists, and everything to do with the fact that it almost singlehandedly destroyed what little goodwill the franchise had left at that point.

Until T H E S A V I O U R came and saved the franchise.

Suppose nows a bad time to mention, I don't like Generations or the boosts games. I also heavily dislike how you only ever play as Sonic in the curent modern era games, most of the time.

Lost World, Boom, and Forces all deserved their criticism though. People were upset to see the franchise get so shaky again after a nice run of three really solid games.

I say this as someone who likes Lost World and Forces. But they are very flawed games.
Funny you mention that, if Sonic had stuck to the Generations gameplay style and the like insteafd of chaning things up, critics would e be whining that Sonicgames are getting dstale.

Basically critics always will find away to hine about Sonic I see.

Guess that's why you like Shadow so much.

GAAAAAASP
but then he'll get a nickle for every nickle he has again giving him 4 nickles!

infinite nickles O-O
The perfect plan to be nickle rich. Also pretty I found a nickle the other day. In the UK, you ask, simple probably fell out someone's pocket who cameback from a trip to the USA, and forgot to take out, when they got back.

Also saw some Frozen talk. What I liked about it that a Disney film, based around Fairy Tale, finally ****ing acknewlrdged famial love as just as bloody important as romantic love.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
View attachment 143990
You basically made it first and third world without looking at each individual culture.

I'm not gonna go and say the US wouldn't make peace with aliens. I actually think we would try.

But why on earth does most of Africa and eastern Europe not want to make peace.

D

Deleted member

You basically made it first and third world without looking at each individual culture.

I'm not gonna go and say the US wouldn't make peace with aliens. I actually think we would try.

But why on earth does most of Africa and eastern Europe not want to make peace.
Dang. One side was telling me that.

I said this:

D

Deleted member

View attachment 143990
So this map is useless....
433423.gif

That is ten minutes of my life I can never get back. :/

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Welp. Finally beat Mega Man 9. Definitely the hardest of the Classic games I've played. Although the Final Boss of MM7 is still harder, all the stages in MM9 outweigh that I feel.

Messed around with that Endless mode too. Pretty fun.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Oh hey someone remembered a thing I said.

Persinally, my favorite type of villain, to see and to write, is the one who acts as a Foil to the protagonist. The villain who opposes the hero in more than just physicially, one who is truly alike but so very different at the same time. My other favorite type of villain is the one who fully owns and accept their role as "the villain", which kinda relates to the Foil part because usually, you see these villains oppose a hero who is a hero for the sake of being a hero. It's why I love Shigaraki from MHA so much, he's a villain for the sake of being a villain, he's the perfect foil to Deku.

I like my sympathetic villains just as much but I feel like most of the time, fandoms will go to many great lengths to excuse these kinds of characters(See: Berkut from FE SoV). Seeing villains do non-villainous things is something I always like, but I especially love the Evil is One Big, Happy Family trope, because while evil having loved ones is also a trope I love when done right(see: Vulture in Spiderman Homecoming), I love seeing them interact in an envoirement where they don't really have to lie or hide anything about their nature. Which, hey, guess what? Relates to MHA and how the League of Villains is depicted, showing that villains care about their teammates just as much as the heroes do is such an incredibly effective yet simple way of making them more sympathetic and I can't express how much I love seeing it.
Yeah the foil type is good as well. Especially when the villain has similar goals but is the polar opposite to the hero as you mentioned. Tying in to what I mentioned about The Joker. The Joker and Batman are so similar yet so different which makes their relationship so interesting.
I can understand what you mean but, I can't really think of why villains steal their story's from the hero slotlight so easily. Maybe ir's an innate Evil is Cool thing but characters like Batman are just as interesting and complex as characters Joker so the katter wins by the evil points. Or it's because of the PoV, much like how we don't perceive ourselves as the best or coolest irl(unless we are incredibly full of ourselves but that's another issue), we don't see the character we're "supposed to be" as the coolest in the narrative. Thinking about it now, I can only think of two main characters that I like more than their main villains, those two being both from Fate, Kiritsugu and Shirou, and I think it's because both of them play with the classic heroic tropes we're so used to seeing.
Or hey, maybe that's it: maybe we as an audience are so tired of seeing heroes because they usually have the same motivations, while villains come in all shapes and sizes as far as motivations go.
That's not to say that Batman isn't interesting of course. It's just that in that particular film it was The Joker who resonated the most with the audience and in a weird way was the most "appealing" to them. It's the trap with villains when they do things that make them come across as cool and badass. For a true, hateable villain I think it's important to avert this trope as much as possible.

That is a good point. Heroes typically have similar motivations (save the day and everything is merry/happy) while villains are the ones who's actions come across as "appealing" to the viewer because of how outlandish they are with their ways. I think it might tie in to our real lives in that heroes tend to be more like us (normal people with standard lives) where as villains are the one with complete disregard authority (or in some cases establish their own corrupt authority). Things that a normal person wouldn't be able to do.
The USAs, willing to make relations with aliens?

Pretty sure they'd be the first to try and nuke the aliens' *****.
They'll force them to open a McDonalds branch on their planet lmao. :laugh:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom