• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
OH MY GOODNESS.
THAT IS THEIR YEAR. They use the same numbers as us I guess ( Too complicated to make new numbers ).
They do not use the Gregorian Calendar. It does not take place 15000 years after today.
May, June, July etc are Gregorian Calendar months tho

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Because villains with silly names are all automatically nothing more than comedy?

You need to remember your trigonometry lessons, dude.

:V
I'd argue Gravity Falls' over all tone allowed for that kind of thing more easily. What Shiny's going for doesn't seem to have any lighthearted moments. That's kinda my point. :v

D

Deleted member

I'd argue Gravity Falls' over all tone allowed for that kind of thing more easily. What Shiny's going for doesn't seem to have any lighthearted moments. That's kinda my point. :v
My story is not supposed to be lighthearted, so good point.
Rather a made up history lesson.

How about..... Vanalthin?

D

Deleted member

Ok, real talk, wanna name a character? Pick a word they're related to, usually their role in the story but symbolic stuff also works, and change letters around until you get a good sounding name, be it their position or what letters they are outright. It sounds pointless but when you have a base word it becomes easy to make something sound like a name.
ive seen a some persona peeps online, some Yosukes, Some Yus, And Like, one Chie and Yukiko. I hope I never see ruby online though, her voice is grating to me

and yeah, The reason Yosuke kept doing that was because I was trying to do his skill, the wind skill, and other skills and it just didnt wanna happen lol Yeah, the Persona Can get hit and ****ed also, pretty sure thats what saves me from getting hit in most of my matches. But im glad I did good, I feel like Im improving
I actually enjoy Ruby's voice a lot lol

I have the same problem too "try to do specific move but end up doing something useful on accident", I try finishing matches with supers but I just end up doing throws.
No I just find it funny that Gordeau is "broken" here which is nothing compared to how he was back in UNIEL.

Gordeau/Azrael is UNGA PLUS ULTRA

Oh god he was even more broken originally?

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Fair enough :V

As such, I shall also bring up Puggles from Mortal Kombat X.

He's the bat of a necromancer that usually has no sense of humor who can straight up kill people for him.

And Mortal Kombat ain't really the "sunshine and rainbows" kind of thing.

Especially since they pulled the "all the good guys die" twist seven years before Infinity War did :V

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I got three posts at the top of the page just today what the hell
Brb gonna roll on FEH

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961

Your goal when making up a fictional race is to ascribe to them a cultural history. Look at Tolkien, and you see Elven names are very different from Dwarven names. They're both completely made up, but they feel like they belong to the different cultures.

If you give the race a name like "Xoden", all the other names should feel xodenesque.

Last edited:
so im playing pokemon crystal.

The first time I played soulsilver I thought Whitney was a joke because I used a slowpoke and used Curse 6 times and headbutted t.

This time I had no set up or anything. Just a Quilava, a poliwag, and an underleveled Elekid. . .and I still beat it first try easily :X

:061:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Reading Shiny's story thing makes me want to do that kind of worldbuilding stuff myself, LOL. I wanna give input on Shiny's story, of course, but I'm...really bad at critique. So instead I'll write my own thing, LOL.

. . . . . . . . . .

OK once upon a time a mindless but hyperadaptive eldritch abomination laid a bunch of eggs on a planet and left. Those eggs developed sapient minds from gestating in close proximity to intelligent life and have been gradually hatching one by one over the last several thousand years. The local intelligent race started worshipping the influx of overpowered terrors both to save their own lives and out of fear and respect, and basically the whole thing hijacked religion and to some degree politics on the world.

And everything was fine until the Human Nation attacked. Just one of them. Like. . .Framany, or something.

Yeah.

Oh gosh this lack of ability to word things properly and concisely is why I haven't really started yet.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961

The other thing to keep in mind is how sounds feel to the ear.

Vanalthin is a very elegant sound. The letters flow together. It feels calm, peaceful.

Change just one letter, Vanakthin, and now the name has a harsh stop. It's broken in two, it feels unbalanced, unnerving.

D

Deleted member

The other thing to keep in mind is how sounds feel to the ear.

Vanalthin is a very elegant sound. The letters flow together. It feels calm, peaceful.

Change just one letter, Vanakthin, and now the name has a harsh stop. It's broken in two, it feels unbalanced, unnerving.
"Vanakthin"
That is a good one.
I want to draw what he looks like, but at the same time, it would ruin how you guys imagine him.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Vanalthin also has "anal" right behind the V and I don't know how to feel about that.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Mom asks me how work has been.

For the millionth time, I have to correct her about the name of my supervisor. It's not even a weird name. Heck, one of her uncles has that same name.

Moments like this are why I seriously think she's just pretending to care. That and what she did last Sunday.

D

Deleted member

Reading Shiny's story thing makes me want to do that kind of worldbuilding stuff myself, LOL. I wanna give input on Shiny's story, of course, but I'm...really bad at critique. So instead I'll write my own thing, LOL.

. . . . . . . . . .

OK once upon a time a mindless but hyperadaptive eldritch abomination laid a bunch of eggs on a planet and left. Those eggs developed sapient minds from gestating in close proximity to intelligent life and have been gradually hatching one by one over the last several thousand years. The local intelligent race started worshipping the influx of overpowered terrors both to save their own lives and out of fear and respect, and basically the whole thing hijacked religion and to some degree politics on the world.

And everything was fine until the Human Nation attacked. Just one of them. Like. . .Framany, or something.

Yeah.

Oh gosh this lack of ability to word things properly and concisely is why I haven't really started yet.
I love how this post got more likes than my story post.
23432423234.png

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
>Not putting her hand on her heart and standing up straight

Clearly Nia is better qualified to be a true representative of the proud Ardanian Empire.

Also that Heart-to-Heart between Nia and Mórag which is the best one in the game, where they talk politics and Nia drops one of the best quotes in the series.
Well, she is a Gormotti... So it is possible.
I mean....

I coooould name someone who looks even better.
I can tell the character is spoiler then lol.

And according to reddit....
Someone says that Morag looks a lot like
9c148c5.jpg
this person Misato from Evangelion 3.0....

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
And I hardly even come up with character names because I'm awful at it, despite NEEDING character names. And when I do make them they're super basic and awful and more placeholders than anything.

Like, have a six foot tall lizard woman gladiator mercenary? Nothing. Have a guy that's a Latino zoologist/veterinarian on contract with a US/diet US military taskforce? Nada. Backstory albino medieval bishonen prince with the personality of a cinnamon roll? Hahahah you have too high of hopes for me.

Guuuuuh how do you people do the name thing so easily? Is it self confidence?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So...

I had a thought that's been on my mind that sort of ties is to what @Shishœ mentioned a while back about what makes a villain beyond the point of redemption and what makes a villain's ambition more "sympathetic" than the hero's.

That made me think of the different kinds of villains in fictional works and how a writer goes about creating their character in a certain way to elicit a certain emotional response from the viewer/audience.

Some write their villains to have sympathetic motives or have a sympathetic backstory to them to make the readers feel sorry for the character. This is usually done when the villain's backstory is one filled with tragedy, misery, and whatnot.

And then there's the kind of villains that are written in a way where the writer wants you, the audience to absolutely hate/despise said character and does everything to make them unlikable; often times doing everything they can to make the characters have the least amount of likeable qualities. This is done in various different ways like having the main villain destroy the lives the hero cherishes or just making the hero's life a living hell in general.

These are the kinds of villains who I like the best in the story IMO. Those are the ones who truly serve their purposes well of serving as a foil to the main protagonist and don't overshadow the main character by being "too cool" or "too much of a badass" which usually makes the audience have a kind of; shall we say a certain "fondness" for the villain because of their cool actions. That's a sort of "trap" I think villains fall in to when they become more relateable to the viewer than the hero.

Of course even though my preference is with the latter, there is no objective "better" type of villain. I like my sympathetic villains when done right even though I appreciate the truly despicable ones a lot more for the reasons I mentioned above. And that's not to say that these two are mutually exclusive of course. I just like it when a villain is full on evil with little to no redeemable traits.

So my question to you guys is what type of villain is your favorite and why?

And also how would you go about writing a villain that you don't want the viewer to like at all? Like doing everything you can to make the viewer hate said character and eliminating any traits a viewer might find "cool" or "appealing" about the character?

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
The best alien name ever conceived is Nyarlothotep, because when you say it out loud it sounds like you're talking backwards.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
And I hardly even come up with character names because I'm awful at it, despite NEEDING character names. And when I do make them they're super basic and awful and more placeholders than anything.
Lemme try.

Like, have a six foot tall lizard woman gladiator mercenary?
Tootsie Roll.

Have a guy that's a Latino zoologist/veterinarian on contract with a US/diet US military taskforce? Nada.
Jolly Rancher.

Backstory albino medieval bishonen prince with the personality of a cinnamon roll? Hahahah you have too high of hopes for me.
Waffle.

Not that hard. :V

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
>Not putting her hand on her heart and standing up straight

Clearly Nia is better qualified to be a true representative of the proud Ardanian Empire.

Also that Heart-to-Heart between Nia and Mórag which is the best one in the game, where they talk politics and Nia drops one of the best quotes in the series.
What's the quote?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom