• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I've always wondered what RR stood for, but after coming up back online, now I know.

I'd figure I would give some thoughts:

On the one hand, it's quite a nice callback with USUM being the last 3DS main series Pokemon games. Giovanni recruiting alternate dimension versions of all the other team leaders in the series that succeeded with their goals sounds cool on paper. I mean, imagine this: we'd be fighting a version of Cyrus that became a God and the sole human in his universe, A Ghetsis who has become a Unova dictator (or even a world dictator, knowing how obsessed with power he is), a Lysandre that rules over a post-apocalyptic Pokemon World where everyone but Team Flare is dead, etc. I can see some intense personality changes coming from some of these characters if this is what the leak is going by, not to mention it'd be fun to fight those antagonist all over again.

On the other hand, I fear there could be writing issues and holes by incorporating all the past team leaders into one game and having them affect the story, whether it's main story or post-game.

I'm going to keep my hopes for this in-between for now just to be safe.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Welp, I finally beat Yooka-Laylee. Not 100% just yet, just the final boss for now.

Overall, a very enjoyable adventure. The writing especially was a surprising highlight, I think it's even wittier than what I remember of Banjo-Kazooie.

The camera has issues still, and some mini-games weren't my favourite. I also wasn't a big fan of the second and third worlds in general. But the first, fourth, and fifth worlds are all fantastic. Especially the fifth, it's such a clever concept. The hub world is great too.

It also has one of the best platformer movesets IMO, none of the moves are overly situational, giving you a lot of freedom with how you explore.

I know a lot of people are "Switch-only, No Joy-Cons, On the TV" around here, so assuming the Switch port is up to snuff, I'd highly recommend it if you want a good, meaty 3D platformer.

Really hoping for a sequel too, that ending was pretty teasing...

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
I've always wondered what RR stood for, but after coming up back online, now I know.

I'd figure I would give some thoughts:

On the one hand, it's quite a nice callback with USUM being the last 3DS main series Pokemon games. Giovanni recruiting alternate dimension versions of all the other team leaders in the series that succeeded with their goals sounds cool on paper. I mean, imagine this: we'd be fighting a version of Cyrus that became a God and the sole human in his universe, A Ghetsis who has become a Unova dictator (or even a world dictator, knowing how obsessed with power he is), a Lysandre that rules over a post-apocalyptic Pokemon World where everyone but Team Flare is dead, etc. I can see some intense personality changes coming from some of these characters if this is what the leak is going by, not to mention it'd be fun to fight those antagonist all over again.

On the other hand, I fear there could be writing issues and holes by incorporating all the past team leaders into one game and having them affect the story, whether it's main story or post-game.

I'm going to keep my hopes for this in-between for now just to be safe.
A month ago USUM looked like a meh expansion with a Cheetos dog.

Now it is shaped to be the ultimate sendoff for Pokémon in dedicated portable consoles.
Going out with an ultra bang before leaving for the Switch.

D

Deleted member

"Consider these 10 recommendations the 10 Commandments handed down by me, your Anime Pope, and, like the real 10 Commandments, you're gonna ignore all the ones that aren't about murder"
With the exception of Magus Bride that's exactly my plan

Tom13

Smash Apprentice
I'll be doing something interesting for Pokemon Ultra Moon, I had re-downloaded Pokebank, and transferred as much of my Legendary Pokemon and Event Pokemon from OR/AS and Moon to it, and I intend to put them in my Ultra Moon file, and I intend to pick Popolio as my starter again, but this time, though, I will also add Cosmog from Pokemon Moon, Litten, and Rowlet, that I put onto my Pokebank from Pokemon Moon, on my team, as I want to have some interesting fun, and seeing that Pokemon transferred over from my original game to another disobey at first could go hand to hand with Ultra Moon's supposed increase difficulty, I do like some challenge, even thought Litten and Rowlet are both level 1 and Cosmog level 5, and I'll see if it'll evolve into Lunala in Ultra Moon, and then I'll switch out Luna for Necrozma, and fuse it with Lunala for Dawn Wings Necrozma, I'm also transfering a Solgaleo, I recently got in a trade on the GTS earlier today, to the Pokebank along with the Necrozma I caught in Moon, and fuse together for Dusk Mane Necrozma, but I'll be using Dawn Wings Necrozma on my main team.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Here's the cutscene samples from the the Dissida NT livestream from earlier. One featuring Cloud, Vaan, Onion Knight, and Y'shtola like I mentioned earlier. And another featuring Warrior of Light, Cecil, and Noctis, which I missed somehow.

Also it turns out you can use the old arcade version HUD if you want in the final game, so that's neat.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I thought the antidepressants weren't doing anything, but I'm coming off of them and I feel like I'm having a mild existential crisis right now.

I guess they just made everything worse. Like me.

. . .

I'm so stupid for saying this but I just don't know what else to do with myself right now.

*EDIT* . . .I feel like I want to say something competent, but anything that comes to mind just feels incompetent or makes my heart drop.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I thought the antidepressants weren't doing anything, but I'm coming off of them and I feel like I'm having a mild existential crisis right now.

. . .

I'm so stupid for saying this but I just don't know what else to do with myself right now.
Usually I stay as far away as possible from prescription drugs as I can. They have so many side effects that sometimes they can make things worse if not better at all.

If you're stressed, you should look in to eating foods that decrease stress and drink tea. Blueberries and Walnuts do wonders for relieving stress and anxiety. As someone who's dealing with anxiety right now those kinds of foods for me are a godsend.

You should also try exercising more. It helps out a lot in dealing with that problem.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
That was an interesting video.

I'll give my two cents on the topic, just bear in mind I'm not a competitive player, but I do follow other fighters.

I'd say there are two main issues at hand here that skew perception. The first, you said it yourself, but both can be very tough to deal with at low level competitive play. Thus, a lot of players start to feel that the MU is incredibly unfair, and it's very noticeable whenever you play against Bayo, even after the nerfs, her aerial game is RIDICULOUSLY strong, in most cases, you're better off not even trying to engage her in the air, and just trying to bait and punish, which can make the fight incredibly tedious.

Which brings me to my second point, and this is the core of it all.

Smash 4 was not built to be a competitive fighter.

You can't use the top players as a measuring stick for what's broken and what's not. Just cause there are ways around certain tactics, doesn't mean those tactics can't be overpowered. The result winds up being that low level competition, simply isn't fun, and this is the outcome of trying to play a game that wasn't built for competition, competitively.

Contrasted to other fighters, they can be a lot of fun at ALL levels of play, because the games are designed and balanced around competition. The top tier isn't the measuring stick for the rest of the scene, and these games often have built in mechanics to make certain things that might FEEL OP, less frustrating. One example being combo bursts. This the Achilles heel of Smash 4, and combined with the emphasized focus on defensive play, a lot of matches start to become more tedious and boring, as there are a very limited way to deal with certain situations. Games require options in order to be fun, different players prefer different playstyles. However, Smash 4 seems to funnel itself into there only being ONE way to play in order to be competitive. Only ONE way to deal with certain MUs, and it's this lack of player expression that frustrates people, and has them find an outlet through which to vent their frustrations on, that outlet being the two characters who seem to have the most ease at low level play, which.... is where most of the scene will find itself in any game, as competition by nature creates a sort of pyramid structure.

When a large chunk of your competitive scene isn't having fun with a game, the answer shouldn't be to point at the highest tier as an example of how the game should be played, it should be to carefully look at what's causing this stir of emotion in people.

And sadly, in the case of Smash 4, that seems to be the lack of competitive focus when designing the game.
I'd argue there are still multiple options in a lot of these situations, like trapping Bayonetta's landings or baiting out her dodges to hard punish their short distance and godawful end lag. These kinds of things aren't always so obvious to the untrained eye, but they're there.

In some ways, I feel like past Smash games--especially Melee--have skewed people's views of what a platform fighter is "supposed" to be like. It's led to a lot of players getting caught up in trying to do Melee things, to the point where they don't realize there are other things they can do that might work better.

It's another issue that comes with how uninformed a lot of Smashers are. If I only knew how to do something about that...

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
*extreme thinking sounds*

IMG_20171024_222435.jpg

. . .

A fool will stop with self-deprecating thoughts of despair and anxiety and...so forth!

IMG_20171024_223532.jpg

But seriously, talking about yourself like that isn't going to help matters. You should probably just take it easy and do something relaxing to take your mind off things for now.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Usually I stay as far away as possible from prescription drugs as I can. They have so many side effects that sometimes they can make things worse if not better at all.

If you're stressed, you should look in to eating foods that decrease stress and drink tea. Blueberries and Walnuts do wonders for relieving stress and anxiety. As someone who's dealing with anxiety right now those kinds of foods for me are a godsend.

You should also try exercising more. It helps out a lot in dealing with that problem.
Blueberries. . .

Every time I have someone suggest I change my diet to help with my anxiety it's always about some general "eat healthy" direction or taking supplements. I at least gotta think on that one. . .

Exercise is something I sometimes think about, but then every kind of method I'm made aware of as to how to go about it involves doing it by rote and anything I have to do the exact same way over and over again makes me so bored that my brain starts involuntarily pumping anxious thoughts into my mind to fill the void. I need to think of something that feels more meaningful and creative when doing it.

*extreme thinking sounds*

View attachment 133436

A fool will stop with self-deprecating thoughts of despair and anxiety and...so forth!

View attachment 133437

But seriously, talking about yourself like that isn't going to help matters. You should probably just take it easy and do something relaxing to take your mind off things for now.
I was gonna think of something to say about the response to me, but then I realized I had nothing and the other part of the post distracted me LOL.

The event's probably nothing, none of these events ever actually have any news. Unless you meant you were thinking about going? It would probably be way closer for you than anyone else here, right?

It's good to see Nintendo making an advertising push either way.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Blueberries. . .

Every time I have someone suggest I change my diet to help with my anxiety it's always about some general "eat healthy" direction or taking supplements. I at least gotta think on that one. . .

Exercise is something I sometimes think about, but then every kind of method I'm made aware of as to how to go about it involves doing it by rote and anything I have to do the exact same way over and over again makes me so bored that my brain starts involuntarily pumping anxious thoughts into my mind to fill the void. I need to think of something that feels more meaningful and creative when doing it.

I was gonna think of something to say about the response to me, but then I realized I had nothing and the other part of the post distracted me LOL.

The event's probably nothing, none of these events ever actually have any news. Unless you meant you were thinking about going? It would probably be way closer for you than anyone else here, right?

It's good to see Nintendo making an advertising push either way.
I'm 99.9% sure there won't be any news at an Irish convention, and Odyssey itself will be out a month by then anyway.

But I probably won't have Odyssey by then and depending on what else is there (Nintendo or otherwise), it might be worth going. It's not that far from me. I didn't even know this convention was a thing until now so it's pretty exciting to see what seems like a relatively big convention over here.

Only issue is money.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I'm 99.9% sure there won't be any news at an Irish convention, and Odyssey itself will be out a month by then anyway.

But I probably won't have Odyssey by then and depending on what else is there (Nintendo or otherwise), it might be worth going. It's not that far from me. I didn't even know this convention was a thing until now so it's pretty exciting to see what seems like a relatively big convention over here.

Only issue is money.
So basically whether it would be cheaper to go to the convention or just save up for Odyssey, then?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So basically whether it would be cheaper to go to the convention or just save up for Odyssey, then?
Not really. I'm not even certain on when I'll get Odyssey regardless. Christmas if I'm lucky, though if not, probably not until February-March.

I have other things to budget around, such as a €50 Christmas/birthday gift I have pre-ordered for a friend. And there is a Nendoroid figure I have my eye on that I might get instead of Odyssey for Christmas.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Random ass thought outta nowhere. I actually really prefer the name Mario Story comparatively more than Paper Mario.

That's all, peace out gurl scouts.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I find myself actually somewhat enjoying this Tempest Trials, for once. But that's probably just because of how damn busted Sigurd is.
Even without all the buffs, he's still packing a pretty dumb 56 Atk and 39 Def (45 on enemy phase). I like this guy a lot.

(I guess having a good selection of bonus units available helps a lot too, I've been fairly lucky in that regard, though I still need to gather together more feathers so I can promote Arvis.)

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Blueberries. . .

It's true though.

Just by making adjustments to my diet I was able to make major progress in dealing with my anxiety. Granted my anxiety isn't the same as most people's but I saw tremendous improvements with the dietary changes I made. Honestly I believe it's better than any over the counter medication I could have taken that would have left me with all kinds of nasty side effects.

You don't have to have exercise like a bodybuilder to be healthy. My exercising regime is essentially taking a walk for half an hour every day and it suffices. If you ever feel bored you could always have an MP3 with your or something.

Also what ChikoLad ChikoLad said. You shouldn't get lost in negative thoughts. It's a self-destructive thinking pattern that will only make the problem worse. I know it's easier said than done for a lot of people even for me since I can panic when my body is creating the psychological need to breathe too much. Just try and think about the positive.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
14 days. There are just 14 days until Sonic Forces releases on PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch. It's been quite a wild ride.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
14 days. There are just 14 days until Sonic Forces releases on PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch. It's been quite a wild ride.

I still need to preorder it. Did they ever say which retailers had the exclusive Shadow costume?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I still need to preorder it. Did they ever say which retailers had the exclusive Shadow costume?
No, actually.

Some retailers have it but it's very sporadic.

You'll probably have to do your own research for your own region. Just go onto retail listings for the game, read the product description, and see if they mention it. If they do, pre-ordering from them should get you the Shadow costume.

I'm getting it from a UK site called Simply Games. They have the Shadow costume, though I'm also getting it from them because they're selling the game for less than €30.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think a place that doesnt exist in the US anymore aka EB Games
EB Games is just GameStop.

They use that name for their Canadian and Australian branches, IIRC.

But they do have it for those regions, not sure about GameStop stores in other regions though.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Finally got Lyn and then Celica in Warriors, phew. Think I'm going to put it to rest now, leveling up and doing more maps for weapon scrolls ain't enough of a reward in themselves to keep going. Doesn't help when I discovered that Celica plays very similarly to Marth, which is great but I've been using that move-set a ton up to that point so it's a bit of a let down, definitely feels tacked-on.

Might change my stance and get the season pass, the game is enjoyable enough and I barely made a dent in the crests of my most leveled characters. Marth is the highest, 70 something, with Lyn second highest. She's even faster and more agile than the hero-king, it's pretty crazy.

I never used the original twins if I had the option to replace them lol. Although I did use them more than Tiki and Elise both of whom I never bothered promoting. Same would be said for Sakura but a mandatory Celica-map required bow users only, meaning right now two units. Dropped all my gold to bring her up to 50 and let go of a crest just so I could get it over with.

Didn't expect otherwise, but of course the story was about nonexistent, nothing new, just the typical cliche friends overcome big evil dragon stuff. The excuse for most of the maps was the different characters having no clue how to communicate with one another without bringing each other to near death and sacrificing thousands of soldiers just so they can go "Oh so you weren't fighting me against your will! Woops." To be fair though, mind control has been present in every Fire Emblem I've played, to my dismay, so I guess I can't blame them. It must happen all the damn time in their world.

Appreciated that the elements at play in the maps mixed it up quite a bit, can't remember Hyrule Warriors too well but it feels like I wasn't doing the exact same thing every time in this. Ruffians sabotaging the base, casters attacking across the map, rally units that make others stronger, priests that heal other units, mages that summon shadows continuously until they die, forts with turrets, and plenty of more. Granted much of the time because it is an RPG you can just bash your massively superior numbers against the enemy and crush any need for strategy, but when the difference wasn't so vast on some of the more challenging maps it caused me to play defense and command my units all over the map, which got me in the habit of checking up on what they're doing and what they could go do next.

Played the entire time with the graphics at their default setting, quality over performance, and it never really became a concern. Although I should say that literally the last map I played, testing out Celica, the game froze for the first time and booted me out with an error during one of her animations. Not sure what to conclude from that, be it from playing too much, or from Celica, or something else, but it was just the one time out of the many hours I already poured in. Before that moment it never occurred to me to change it to "performance" graphics.

Thus concludes my overall thoughts on the game.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
So with both the Wii U's Pokkén Tournament controller and GameCube adapter working on the Switch, what you guys think are the odds of the Wii U Pro Controller coming to the Switch as well?

I really like that controller.

D

Deleted member

I'd argue there are still multiple options in a lot of these situations, like trapping Bayonetta's landings or baiting out her dodges to hard punish their short distance and godawful end lag. These kinds of things aren't always so obvious to the untrained eye, but they're there.

In some ways, I feel like past Smash games--especially Melee--have skewed people's views of what a platform fighter is "supposed" to be like. It's led to a lot of players getting caught up in trying to do Melee things, to the point where they don't realize there are other things they can do that might work better.

It's another issue that comes with how uninformed a lot of Smashers are. If I only knew how to do something about that...
Well, again.

I'm not a competitive Smasher, nor did I ever really get into the Melee scene outside of some 1v1s with friends. Granted, I did sink 1000s of hours into the game over the years.

I'm speaking from the POV of someone who enjoys competitive fighters casually, and has played a LOT of other fighting games.

Platform fighters are merely a subgenre of fighting games in general. And while you're right that Melee shouldn't set the standard of what platform fighters should be, I'd also argue that Smash 4 hardly does what it needs to to capitalize on the potential of the subgenre, as it also doesn't pay attention to a lot of the thought other devs put into making other fighters competitive. In fact, I'd go one step further, Smash as a series shouldn't set the standard for what platform fighters should be, but that's a whole different topic.

All in all, the problem lies with the game's design focus. Melee was a happy accident, but none of the games have been really designed to be competitive, and if you remove the elements that made Melee fierce and responsive, all the while not putting careful thought into how to design the game for competitive play, you wind up with a game like Smash 4. One that more often frustrates competitive players with its design choices, rather than entice them to try and master the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
>tfw you really like what you've seen of a character in crossover/spin-off material, but have yet to play their actual game

IMG_20171025_012345.jpg

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Hmm... My Switch acts super strange when I try to use the GameCube controller on The Mummy Demastered.

When the GC controller is port 1 and I boot up the game, not only does the GC controller not respond at all, but every controller will disconnect and won't connect again until I undock the console.

I think this specific game is the cause as every other game I've tested works fine.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Heh, Overwatch Halloween decided to throw me a bone after it's run of just 2 weeks with only having Ana's Halloween skin. I just finished with the Arcade lootboxes and it literally just gave me Zarya's, Mei's and McCree's new skins in a row. Mei and McCree's Halloween skins were two of the ones I really wanted and now the last one that I want to get at least is Zenyatta's and I have enough Credits to get his in case I don't get his from a Lootbox.
Either way, after the bone the game threw for me, I now only need the Halloween skins for Zen, Symmetra, Torbjorn and Reaper's new one.
Sadly I got those skins via purchasing lootboxes because I didn't have a lot of time to play... at least I got all the skins I want.
And sadly, in the case of Smash 4, that seems to be the lack of competitive focus when designing the game.
It obviously didn't but put competitive more of a backseat, with that said I believe Smash 4 is a fighting with competitive potential and also playing it for fun. As for me I play Smash in a competitive rule set with my brother but we just have fun and don't really care about a lot of techniques. Last but not least, characters are what made Smash Bros shine, with characters like Shulks Cloud etc.... makes this game worth it at least for me.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Oh hey, a third party title getting video capture support.
Plus, it's an indie title. Hopefully this means other developers will start implementing the feature.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Sorry that my previous reply felt it bit obvious... but it has been a while for to talk about Smash 4 agian.
I know when it comes to Smash Bros rumors and leak can be all know on Smashwiki, but seeing a video is more interesting.

Also it was so ironic for me that I actually dislike Shulk because... he and all rosters were leaked and I hate leaks... but now Shulk is one of my "fun" match playing main and I am now a Xenoblade fanboy.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Any time I see a Clair in FE Heroes with Life and Death and/or a Firesweep Lance, it bothers me immensely.

Brave Lance as well, though that COULD be potentially good now with the Brash Assault seal and Desperation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom