• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
You know what this means?

Super Mario Sunshine port confirmed.
Beat me to it.

The great thing about it is that it works globally. This means that the Switch is literally prepared to have GameCube Controller support for Smash Bros if it gets it, as well as GameCube VC games if they do that.
Yeah, I really really hope this points to a possible GameCube VC. I'm still wondering if VC is going to exist on the Switch and, if not, what will replace it?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I kinda wish I had some actual Switch games to try the GC controller on, haha.

BotW requires the full Switch Controller layout.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
my imediate reaction to the gamecube controller support was the following
Since Halloween is also coming...
Most people also call this as Overwatch's Reaper theme, not really...

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Thinking about it, best not to Jump Up just yet.

It just reads it as a generic USB controller, and emulates a Switch Pro Controller.

So the analogue triggers don't do anything.

Meaning games like Super Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, and Super Smash Bros. Melee wouldn't fully work currently on the Switch, since the analogue triggers are vital to those games.

It's a step, the controller can be connected and used, but it would still need a special classification of some kind to read the analogue triggers.

Also there's basically no reason to use it over other options, since it's missing a ZL button. Wii U Pro Controllers work now though (or so I've heard, I've yet to test it myself or see a video) so that's actually more useful right now.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
OK, I've figured Robin out. Partially.

Weak attack x1 + Strong Attack = Arcfire(Elfire? can't fully make it out but it's Smash Arcfire either way)
Weak Attack x2 + Strong Attack = Elwind
Weak Attack x3 + Strong Attack = Thoron
Weak Attack x4 + Strong Attack = Nosferatu/some kind of dark magic attack

There's also a light magic attack with a kickflip I don't know how to trigger.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Maybe it wasn't the smartest to share what just happened, but I feel really weird about this right now so eh.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Coricus_SSB/status/922637419668746240?p=v

Be sure to read every comment as you go through it, it's a bit of a rant.

*EDIT* Ah crud, hopefully I didn't kill the thread posting this. Just felt kind of uncomfortable about something. Some regular conversation might help me feel less creeped out, I don't know.
Like other members mentioned, you'd be better off not being on the GAF Discord. Honestly I think GAF in general sucks and reeks of elitism there. I have no regrets not signing up for that site.
I though killing the thread was my job.
That's my job homie. I always get the job done.
You know what this means?

Super Mario Sunshine port confirmed.
Also Brawl HD.

*makes a bee line out of the thread*

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Thanks to the newest update, the Switch is now compatible with the GameCube Controller Adapter.

This is really exciting news! The fact that all Switch games can use the GC controller now is a major plus.

Come to think of it, I have a feeling the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe meta might change now that Gamecube controllers can be used.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They need to release a Dry Bowser amiibo before cancelling them

Ivander

Smash Legend
Heh, Overwatch Halloween decided to throw me a bone after it's run of just 2 weeks with only having Ana's Halloween skin. I just finished with the Arcade lootboxes and it literally just gave me Zarya's, Mei's and McCree's new skins in a row. Mei and McCree's Halloween skins were two of the ones I really wanted and now the last one that I want to get at least is Zenyatta's and I have enough Credits to get his in case I don't get his from a Lootbox.
Either way, after the bone the game threw for me, I now only need the Halloween skins for Zen, Symmetra, Torbjorn and Reaper's new one.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Nintendo is always late on the draw when it comes to the "hot new thing" I mean after Skylanders, toys-to-life games became the big new thing people were doing. Nintendo didn't enter the business for a while. And now they're "studying" VR and that'll end up phasing out before they can really get into it.

Besides them being early on motion control, and maybe the Virtual Boy being TOO early, Nintendo always jumps in late. Won't be surprised if Amiibo are phased out in the next year or so.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Real talk for a second....

Am I annoying and argumentative?

Be honest.
No that's my job.

Maybe it wasn't the smartest to share what just happened, but I feel really weird about this right now so eh.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Coricus_SSB/status/922637419668746240?p=v

Be sure to read every comment as you go through it, it's a bit of a rant.

*EDIT* Ah crud, hopefully I didn't kill the thread posting this. Just felt kind of uncomfortable about something. Some regular conversation might help me feel less creeped out, I don't know.
Even on the best of days I found most of GAF to be volatile and up their own ass... I wouldn't recommend lingering around those folks in the middle of this ****storm.

Thanks to the newest update, the Switch is now compatible with the GameCube Controller Adapter.

I'm psyched not for Smash (well, not just for Smash - that to me was a foregone conclusion) but the fact that the Gamecube controller works interchangeably with any other controller (for the most part), which hasn't been the case since the actual Gamecube. I freaking love the Gamecube controller so much. <3

That said mine are across the continent so it doesn't help me very much in the short term lol.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Me before Fates: Got I hate Takumi

Me during Fates: im falling for this asshole

Me now during Warriors: *picks takumi for my main archer atm because i just want to hear his voice wash over me* Damn this boy

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Yay I'm late to everything

Fire Emblem Heroes TT: Guidance will be amazing on my Cherche, Brash Assault will be amazing on my Valter, Atk Smoke for Summer Corrin I guess

@Swampasaur Did you delude yourself again? You are the chillest person on the site, if you are argumentative I can't imagine what sort of monster I'd be.

Dunno about the rest I don't have FE:W yet

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I found out from online that sometimes lowering acid can make acid reflux worse because something with lowering acid affects your esophagus and causes acid to squirt up in it.

So, I just tried drinking coffee

At the moment it seems to have worked

Which is good, because I love coffee

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I finally got them to S-Rank
IT'S GAMEPLAY OPTIMISATION OKAY
Their A rank was in a campfire, there's no way the game doesn't know what I'm up to

Also, I went for the free Summon in the fliers banner and it was all Red and one Colorless so naturally
Welp, guess I can join the "5* out of Free Summon" club now. I'd have preferred a 5* Blue unit because I already have Arvis but I can't complain about free stuff.
Now I can start aiming for the true meta
Screenshot_20171023-220210~2.png

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Well well, why don't you take a look at this:

Yep, Team Rocket will be making some kind of an appearance in USUM, complete with a new base of sorts (look at the image on the left and look around Decidueye there).

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
D

Deleted member

Well well, why don't you take a look at this:

Yep, Team Rocket will be making some kind of an appearance in USUM, complete with a new base of sorts (look at the image on the left and look around Decidueye there).
Archie: "It didn't work out last time, but I'm sure this time, we'll succeed and Giovanni-senpai will notice us!"
Grunt: "Uhm, sir, we have a problem, someone has infiltrated our base and they're taking out all of the admins"
Archie: "What? Who is it?"
Grunt: "It's a, uh, how do I say this? Th-they're just a kid"
Archie: "Again!? Can't I have a break? Well, no matter, this time I was prepared for this sort of development"
Grunt: "You were prepared to having a kid infiltrate our base?"
Archie: "Believe me, it happens more often than you think. But with this Mega Stone I got from the Kalos region and this Z-Crystal from the Alola region, I am invincible! Also, adoorwithalockthatcanonlybeunlockedwithakeyonlyIhavebecauseI'mnotstupid"
Grunt: "Why did I even sign up for this?"
*The whole base begins to shake and the door breaks, revealing a Buzzwole with the trainer standing besides it*
*Buzzwole grabs the Mega Stone and breaks it just with its fingers*
Grunt: "Arceus ****ing Christ, why did I sign up for this ****"

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I want a better render of that Team Rocket female so badly. Ugggggggh....

...anyways I have fallen in love with Hawlucha. A guy suggested I try out ESeed Hawlucha.

Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Roost

He recommended Drain Punch over Roost but I like Roost better because it temporarily removes Electric weakness and guarantees good health.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
>Flier banner that lasts for two weeks

So you're telling me IS baited me into spending a bunch of saved up F2P Orbs on the BHB Banner with Minerva, with that being bait for a banner that would have Minerva for a longer period of time?

What the hell IS?

You better give me some goddamn GREENS this time.

I would be pulling for Hinoka but I actually got her from the Threaten Spd banner a while back while trying to pull a Takumi and pulling Blues in hopes of getting more Clairs. Got Ephraim then too, and got Takumi not long after. Easily one of the most fruitful banners for me in a while.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I think the one advantage amiibo still has over the other toys to life stuff is that it works on multiple games. There's still plenty that even do generic stuff that reads every kind of amiibo as well.

I'm sure it'll be phased out at some point, but it still has legs on that alone if implemented in some meaningful way.

D

Deleted member

Now that I beat FE Warriors, my thoughts on the game are that the game is really fun and you will have fun while playing it. It's always nice to see these characters interact with each other on and off the battlefield. My favorite characters to play as are Takumi, Robin, and Xander, but I play as Takumi the most and he's over level 50 now.
But the thing that bothers me the most is the roster. I feel like there was a lot of missed potential, especially when they could've added characters from other games besides Lyn and Celica. I would've at least add characters from Blazing Sword and Path of Radiance into the main game and removed the female royals; I think Corrin, Azura, Ryoma, Xander, Takumi, and Leo would suffice for Fates representation.

I wonder if Owain will have magic in his moveset.

Also it makes me want to change my name back to his when I can change it.
I hope that he gets his own moveset. I've fought Owain in History Mode and he's currently a clone of Ryoma.
I would love to see him as a spellsword character, but I dunno if they would take him in that direction and I dunno how they would balance a character statwise that can use both physical and magical attacks.
I would love if all of his attacks are names of other games. I would love to see his Radiant Dawn, Shadow Dragon, and Sacred Stones techniques. :p

The king has returned!

Yeah, I really really hope this points to a possible GameCube VC. I'm still wondering if VC is going to exist on the Switch and, if not, what will replace it?
I am feeling very skeptical about the future of Virtual Console; months after launch and we still don't have classic games and I am thinking they are going to use the Mini systems as a means to play old games rather than release VC games.
If there is a replacement, it might be the arcade games shown in the Direct. I am hoping for GameCube VC games; they promised that on the Wii U and it never happened. GCN VC games means more accessible means of playing Melee or playing an affordable version of Path of Radiance.

Me before Fates: Got I hate Takumi

Me during Fates: im falling for this *******

Me now during Warriors: *picks takumi for my main archer atm because i just want to hear his voice wash over me* Damn this boy
Takumi is best bro.

>Dora needs to go to the city
>Diego, who is played by Shia LaBeouf is waiting her
>Boots is ****ing dead and Swiper is Star Fox
>Dora opens a super realistic talking Backpack
>Takes out Map
>Map explodes
You, sir, have won the Internet with that comment.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I got around to looking at gameplay for A Hat In Time. Very... Interesting sense of art.

The player character is cute though. That's always a plus from me. :4villager:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
There was a Dissidia NT livestream just now. Didn't announce anything major, from what I can tell, but they showed off a bit of a story cutscene and some gameplay of the capture the flag-esque mode.

The story cutscene had Cloud, Vaan, Onion Knight, and Y'shtola hanging out in some desert ruins and Vaan says something to Cloud and then Cloud walks off all mopey and anti-social. Then Onion Knight turns to Y'shtola and starts talking to her, probably hitting on her or something, as he does.

Cloud was wearing his Advent Children outfit while Y'shtola was in her Heavensward outfit which seems to reinforce the idea that these characters are depicted after their major character arcs...which would explain mopey Cloud.

Also Japan has cooler boxart.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
GameCube controller adapter now works on the Switch? Looks like I got some free Switch controllers.

But still going to use the Pro Controller (except maybe for Brawlout).

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
The GameCube adapter becoming compatible for Switch is great news. Hopefully this means that a GameCube Virtual Console in on the way, or at the least, a possible Smash Switch game.

Hopefully the adapter gains functionality for other games though. Would love to use the controllers in Mario Kart, for example.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
After year of not using the GameCube controller, it feels super weird going back to it, especially after using every other controller.
Hopefully the adapter gains functionality for other games though. Would love to use the controllers in Mario Kart, for example.
You can. If the game supports the Pro Controller, then you can use the GameCube controller

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's about damn time I got another video out there.

This one's...bound to be controversial for anyone who still follows Smash 4 competitively.

That was an interesting video.

I'll give my two cents on the topic, just bear in mind I'm not a competitive player, but I do follow other fighters.

I'd say there are two main issues at hand here that skew perception. The first, you said it yourself, but both can be very tough to deal with at low level competitive play. Thus, a lot of players start to feel that the MU is incredibly unfair, and it's very noticeable whenever you play against Bayo, even after the nerfs, her aerial game is RIDICULOUSLY strong, in most cases, you're better off not even trying to engage her in the air, and just trying to bait and punish, which can make the fight incredibly tedious.

Which brings me to my second point, and this is the core of it all.

Smash 4 was not built to be a competitive fighter.

You can't use the top players as a measuring stick for what's broken and what's not. Just cause there are ways around certain tactics, doesn't mean those tactics can't be overpowered. The result winds up being that low level competition, simply isn't fun, and this is the outcome of trying to play a game that wasn't built for competition, competitively.

Contrasted to other fighters, they can be a lot of fun at ALL levels of play, because the games are designed and balanced around competition. The top tier isn't the measuring stick for the rest of the scene, and these games often have built in mechanics to make certain things that might FEEL OP, less frustrating. One example being combo bursts. This the Achilles heel of Smash 4, and combined with the emphasized focus on defensive play, a lot of matches start to become more tedious and boring, as there are a very limited way to deal with certain situations. Games require options in order to be fun, different players prefer different playstyles. However, Smash 4 seems to funnel itself into there only being ONE way to play in order to be competitive. Only ONE way to deal with certain MUs, and it's this lack of player expression that frustrates people, and has them find an outlet through which to vent their frustrations on, that outlet being the two characters who seem to have the most ease at low level play, which.... is where most of the scene will find itself in any game, as competition by nature creates a sort of pyramid structure.

When a large chunk of your competitive scene isn't having fun with a game, the answer shouldn't be to point at the highest tier as an example of how the game should be played, it should be to carefully look at what's causing this stir of emotion in people.

And sadly, in the case of Smash 4, that seems to be the lack of competitive focus when designing the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom