• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
ARMS seems like more of a letdown than I thought based on GameXplain's review. Looks like the only way I'll play it any time soon is if my brother gets it or something.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
>Take a test on monday
>Feel super prepared beacuse im great at this
>numbers dont balance out
>freak out
>make up bull**** numbers to make things "balance"
>be pissed off about it until today
>get it back
>my bull**** was actually correct procedure
>perfect score
BSing through tests and passing them feels amazing, doesnt it?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
ARMS seems like more of a letdown than I thought based on GameXplain's review. Looks like the only way I'll play it any time soon is if my brother gets it or something.
I find it odd that GX's video made it seem like a letdown.

They ended up "Liking it a lot."

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
This is a pretty interesting article about what went wrong with Mass Effect: Andromeda.

http://kotaku.com/the-story-behind-mass-effect-andromedas-troubled-five-1795886428

"The development of Andromeda was turbulent and troubled, marred by a director change, multiple major re-scopes, an understaffed animation team, technological challenges, communication issues, politics, a compressed timeline, and brutal crunch.
There's plenty more in there too such as issues with the Frostbite engine.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I find it odd that GX's video made it seem like a letdown.

They ended up "Liking it a lot."
Scores and rankings aren't important to me, it's the factual details revealed about the game that I look for when reading/watching reviews.

-Grand Prix mode is super bare bones and doesn't even have character specific endings.
-Biff doesn't talk in the actual game, he just has Inkling-esque gibberish, which is silly given the Directs.
-Traditional control system is objectively and notably superior to the motion control scheme in high level play due to button presses being quicker and the motion controls having some issues. However, traditional controls just remove the entire novelty the game sells itself on anyway. This also will mean the game will have a very big divide between casuals and hardcore players.
-If you've played the Test Punch, you've basically seen all of the game's content except for customisable arm options. Until DLC comes out, there is nothing substantially new compared to what was in the Test Punch.

I was already finding it to be a huge let down but the fact they didn't even capitalise on the cool characters they had set up, and the fact that the game's main selling point is trivialised if you want to play competitively online, just makes me scratch my head.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Not sure how many people watched the DP anime back then, but do any of you remember Paul from the series?

I watched a great video last night that analyzed Paul. Pretty good stuff.

This video analyzes why Paul was arguably the best rival Ash ever had in the series.

When I watched the DP anime back then, I never liked Paul because of how much a scumbag he was, but there was something about him that made him a great rival to Ash, and it really showed in their final battle in the Sinnoh League. I'll never forget that intense Infernape vs Electivire battle.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I can't say I'm surprised by the lack of content in ARMS. It's looked and felt like a glorified tech demo since the beginning, and the news given over the past few months have done little to change that.

I'm sure it'll benefit from updates just like Splatoon did, but I'm not so certain they'll be able to make lightning strike twice here.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Lol people complaining about an 8/10. Honestly. Just pretend it's a 4/5 instead.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
To be honest, I'm pleasantly surprised ARMS came out even as unscathed as it did, warts and all.

Nintendo has a tendency for their new IPs to be throwing stuff at a wall to see what sticks and ARMS is certainly a concept that falls into that.

Considering Splatoon initially got criticized for a lack of content and had some lower scores than it could have as a result, I can see ARMS improving a fair bit over time. There's some things that can't be fixed that way, of course, but let's be perfectly honest with ourselves that Splatoon was a game that came into it's own rather than starting perfect and that they're clearly channeling it for this.

While I'm at it, if anyone is expecting Splatoon 2 to have a massive amount of content on launch, settle your expectations down a bit. Having a co-op mode on top of competitive multiplayer and the singleplayer mode is a big content bump due to the juice of Splatoon being in the multiplayer, but singleplayer is deliberately designed to be easy for beginners and so might get a bit weak if you know what you're doing. That and the first game had an excuse plot so bad that games from the 80's are laughing at it, which Splatoon 2 looks to be doing. . .a bit better than so far? The real meat of the plot is in the Sunken Scrolls you pick up. If you hated BotW due to the game allowing you to discover places in any order meaning the plot was a bit thin, then if it's anything like the original Splatoon then Splatoon 2 will drive you nuts. The real fun in Splatoon is that multiplayer is so good that you can play with total randos and it's still as addictive as potato chips/crisps/etc. . .assuming you click with it, of course.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
So I had a random thought.

If an ARMS character (most likely Spring Man) got into Smash, do you think they'll pull a Bowser Jr and Koopalings and have the alts be different ARMS characters?

Characters like Master Mummy or Mechanica may be difficult (or next to impossible) to have as alts, but characters such as Ribbon Girl, Min Min, Ninjara, Twintelle could probably work as alts.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

If an ARMS character (most likely Spring Man) got into Smash, do you think they'll pull a Bowser Jr and Koopalings and have the alts be different ARMS characters?

Characters like Master Mummy or Mechanica may be difficult (or next to impossible) to have as alts, but characters such as Ribbon Girl, Min Min, Ninjara, Twintelle could probably work as alts.
Maybe Ribbon Girl. The rest are different enough to be saved for the future should ARMS eventually merit more characters.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man

Twintelle probably wouldn't work since her pigtails are her "arms", which might create problems with hitboxes and whatnot.

As for the others... maybe, but I feel like it'd be weird since they all have different abilities.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Didn't IGN originally give Splatoon like a 7/10? And then the demand for a re review made them give it a 9?

Won't really be surprised if it happens again with ARMS, though I don't think 8/10 is bad in the slightest but the internet love to overreact so y'know.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Well I mean, you know what they say.

If a game isn't rated as highly as possible by as many people as possible, it sucks.

If a game does get rated as highly as possible by as many people as possible, it still sucks because they're lying because it's not perfect like they "said" and if a game isn't perfect it sucks.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Maybe Ribbon Girl. The rest are different enough to be saved for the future should ARMS eventually merit more characters.
Agreed.

I struggle to see how characters like MinMin or Ninjara would work as Spring Man alts.

One new ARMS character should be fine until it grows as a franchise first like Splatoon (except Inkling isn't in Smash yet).

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Sakurai found an excuse to give their own slots to both Dark Pit and Lucina, I'm pretty sure Ribbon Girl will get her four-jumps + fast fall, maybe the Sparky instead of the Toaster, and end up as a Lucina-like clone.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Didn't IGN originally give Splatoon like a 7/10? And then the demand for a re review made them give it a 9?

Won't really be surprised if it happens again with ARMS, though I don't think 8/10 is bad in the slightest but the internet love to overreact so y'know.
I think Splatoon gave reviewers a better idea of what ARMS' future would look like, so they took that into consideration when giving the scores, unlike when Splatoon launched. I don't believe many ARMS scores will be amended since people more or less know what to expect from the game, but I could be wrong.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Sakurai found an excuse to give their own slots to both Dark Pit and Lucina, I'm pretty sure Ribbon Girl will get her four-jumps + fast fall, maybe the Sparky instead of the Toaster, and end up as a Lucina-like clone.
Then she'll be just as hated as Dark Pit and Lucina. :troll:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Twintelle probably wouldn't work since her pigtails are her "arms", which might create problems with hitboxes and whatnot.

As for the others... maybe, but I feel like it'd be weird since they all have different abilities.
If your talking about the ARMS, I think Spring Man in Smash would have access to all the available different ARMS from the game. So if Spring Man had a move that involved the dragon ARMS, having Min Min as an alt would give her access to her signature ARMS.

Though having multiple ARMS characters would be better (assuming the game takes off).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If your talking about the ARMS, I think Spring Man in Smash would have access to all the available different ARMS from the game. So if Spring Man had a move that involved the dragon ARMS, having Min Min as an alt would give her access to her signature ARMS.

Though having multiple ARMS characters would be better (assuming the game takes off).
Nahhhhh, that's pretty ridiculous.

Kirby doesn't have access to all his abilities, Pit doesn't have access to all his weapons, Pokemon don't have access to all their moves... giving Spring Man access to ALL the ARMS would be a bit much, don't you think? And some of the ARMS don't even fit Spring Man too well as a character.

There's no need to jam all possible movesets into one character. No need for impatience. If ARMS is successful, more characters will come.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man

I was referring mainly to the character specific abilities, i.e. Ribbon Girl's multi jumps and Ninjara's vanish.

You could certainly have Spring Man use multiple ARMS but I feel like the abilities could be worked into their respective characters.

Last edited:

Hockeyfan44

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shockwv478
Just throwing this out there... Knowing how the internet is what it is, I'm surprised there aren't any fan art pairings of Pit and Mercy, also, am I the only one that thinks Helix from Arms looks an awful lot like Wire Sponge from Mega Man X2? And who would win in a fight between Spring Man from Arms and Spring Man from Mega Man 7?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Jill Valentine was the winner of the first Resident Evil poll with Leon Kennedy in second. I'd say her crossover and playable Mahvel appearances did her some favors. Both of the Redfields were dead last, not even the boulder punching memes could save Chris.

Next are more allies and anti-heroes who happpen to be human and not mutated. The only one who wa missing is a certain RE 7 protagonist, who's being saved for later. Your choices are Sheva Alomar, Sherry Birkin, Ada Wong, and Jake Muller.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

It takes a true Resident Evil fan to recognize these familiar faces.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Nice to see ARMS is getting pretty great reviews.

But what really matters to me is the Global Testpunch sealed the deal for me (and I was already hyped from the Directs).

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Patch notes for tomorrow's FE Heroes update. Along with Tempest Trials, they're making a bunch of QoL improvements.

SO glad they're adding a "Claim All" option to the Quest Rewards menu, it always baffled me that they didn't have that. I also like how we can set our Arena Defense team manually.

https://fire-emblem-heroes.com/en/sp/topics/index.html?id=detail-20170607
Yay, more than 5 teams can be saved! Between my defense team, arena team, teams for training specific characters, and specific unit type teams for the 10th Stratum, I never had enough slots to save all of the teams I wanted to.

D

Deleted member

@Prince Alucard you are an expert in this area. Kinkshame the **** out of Shish kebab with stuff from your gay af convo
Also how can it be nonsexual but kinkshamable? My diagnosis: Shish needs a bigger brain.
Most submissive casual kinks can apply to @Shishœ tbh... It's hard to choose just one.(And none worth shaming at that.)
Edit: Actually, if you had a localised copy of EOV, you can easily make him submit to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom