• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Professor Pumpkaboo said:
Say hypothetically, stars turned out to not exist, How would everyone react?
Xeno VII said:
I'd be shocked.

If that were the case, then what would all those objects shining in the night sky be? What would the sun be?

EDIT: Wow, I thought you meant actual stars rather than the rumored Pokemon game.
As for my actual reaction, now that Ultra Sun/Moon exists and Stars was an early codename at best, I (ironically) can't say I'm too shocked about it. :p

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Thoughts on the Pokémon Direct:

I liked BW2 a lot, and later games in the same generation have pretty much always paved over some of the flaws in the earlier installments, so I'm more than willing to give Alola another shot. That being said, either Alola or Sinnoh was going to need a lot of quality-of-life improvements to be as good as the gen VI games, in my eyes. Hoping they at least give a better way to leverage the EXP scaling (BW2-esque wild level 60+ Audino / Chansey would suffice) and give us infinite Lucky Eggs + O-Powers back. And please don't require us to hold "B" and run in circles for optimal egg hatching again.

I'm pretty ambivalent on Pokkén DX; bought the Wii U version but have barely played it, because I was expecting something more approachable and less traditional fighter-y in terms of how the combos / movement worked. Character roster remains amazing and diverse, though (Smash's roster could stand to take a ton of notes). I do like that they went with Decidueye over the more obvious (IMO) choice of Incineroar, even though I prefer the latter's design in general.

Gold / Silver finally being playable without battery issues is amazing; will be nice to finally compare to HGSS, since they're among my favorites.

I didn't think a Switch release (let alone Switch exclusive) was that likely for the next main-series game, so all in all, 3DS main-series game(s) + Pokkén Switch + Gen II on VC was basically the best possible outcome, by my money (even if I don't care much for Pokkén myself).

Even more salty now about Kalos getting shafted, though.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
With the reveal of Pokkén Tournament DX, it does hurt (not kill) the chances of my "A number of Wii U titles get ported over to the Switch" square on my BINGO sheet.

Chrono.

Since someone posted the image, look at the games on the shelf.

Notice one gen missing. :thinking:
it's Sinnoh
Hah, even TPC knows Sinnoh was forgettable.
I've been beginning to think that people who reported on that, if legitimate, probably got told Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and just assumed it meant Xenoblade Chronicles X, not realising the two are different games.
Yeah I can see that being the case tbh.

Plus XCX was so Gamepad reliant I'm having trouble imagining how it would work on a single screen.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Didn't care about much until GSC on the VC was announced. I'm hyped for that. Wish it could release this month though so I can play it during the Summer.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
With the reveal of Pokkén Tournament DX, it does hurt (not kill) the chances of my "A number of Wii U titles get ported over to the Switch" square on my BINGO sheet.
One is a number. That's already one square filled!

I still dont get why we didnt get Crystal

I mean, i dont really care since I won Soulsilver, but we got Yellow, when that came out, why not sell the "definitive version" if you are doing VC. Unless they are selling it later so it doesnt cannibalize G/C sales?

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I have the same concern, honestly.

People seem to be viewing the port as a good sign for Smash, but it's every bit as much of a bad sign. Yes, another "Deluxe" port is proof enough that MK8 wasn't a one-time thing, but at the same time, releasing too many ports would send a negative message to consumers.....that Nintendo doesn't have much new to offer, and that they basically just want you to buy the same old games again and again.
People say that even when Nintendo doesn't make ports. Even if all these games were sequels they'd be met with the same accusation just because they're the same IP. They only did it once and people acted like they were never going to release a new game again. And if Nintendo makes a new IP? LOL it doesn't exist, unless it does well enough to get a sequel in which case it's just another port no matter how many features it adds because the only way a sequel is a sequel is if it changes the setting and has a dramatic artstyle shift, reasons for the existing setting and lack of time for artstyle evolution setting be darned.

It's not like Nintendo's going to be able to make less new games with these ports, Pokken and Smash 4 are Namco's job. Nintendo's busy working on actually new games, not that anyone would notice either way.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004

I mean, i dont really care since I won Soulsilver, but we got Yellow, when that came out, why not sell the "definitive version" if you are doing VC. Unless they are selling it later so it doesnt cannibalize G/C sales?
I'm betting it's because of the now-dead mobile features the Japanese Crystal had.
But it's still gonna be at E3.

Idk, I'm not the bingo judiciary. It's up to you whether it counts or not.
My BINGO meant being revealed at E3, not simply shown off.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
There you go again, making up justifications for Nintendo.
I'm actually thinking how they would. You should try it, it's very eye opening.

Why do you hate Wii U owners so much anyway?
I don't. I just exist in this place called reality.
You got a Wii U (I did too)
The Wii U failed.
Nintendo aren't supporting it anymore.
How about instead of ******** about them porting over games and adding in more content you just move on like Nintendo and I did.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Probably because of just that. Crystal is basically the definitive version (Unlike Yellow, which was a bit more of an anime based alternate take on Red and Blue) so they probably didn't want to cannibalize sales for Gold and Silver. (Assuming they will release it at a later date though.)

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Come on guys. It's obvious Crystal is coming to the Switch.

Right?

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
You know GF does this all the time.

They did it with Emerald when the DS was released and they did this with B2/W2 when the 3DS was released.

Be patient until 2019 unless you want a Pokemon game with garbage backgrounds and barely anything because you want it on the Switch so badly.

That said let's focus on the 2 real issues

Gold and Silver is on 3DS but no Crystal

WHERE IS GRENINJA AND INCENEROAR, BAMCO? I WANT THEM IN POKKEN DAMN IT

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
My biggest fear for he Switch is that it would take away all of the exclusives the Wii U had. Pokken being there is concerning enough.

I don't want to put 300 hours of time into Xenoblade X again. **** that.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
Hm... this shows even the Inklings aren't happy with how you connect the headphone to Switch and with phone....
I saw the replies to this post but the image wasn't loading and I have never been angrier at slow internet

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
I loved that the shelf in the Direct spoiled what we were going to see:

- Johto Starters
- Decidueye with Pikachu Libre
- Solgaleo & Lunala
Danny DeVito is my fav Ultra Beast.

Since someone posted the image, look at the games on the shelf.

Notice one gen missing. :thinking:
it's Sinnoh
Stahp playing with my Kakarot, Game Freak!

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
How amusing. There was a Switch port reveal and an expansion of the Pokemon Sun and Moon games. Except the two were separate, not together as anticipated.

Or perhaps I should say disappointing... I never get on well with "Ultra" versions of the Pokemon games. If it had been revealed to be on the Switch I would have been entirely fine with that, and I would expect that if they did have something like that in the works they would've mentioned it and not just the 3DS version. One could posit that they are holding off on that for E3, but that begs the question of why this direct even exists to begin with?

At any rate, we know nothing about it except the typical uninteresting alternate forms for the signature legendaries, so I can't write it off. But I do need plenty of new additions and improvements to find it worthwhile. They better include all of the mega stones in-game upon release instead of trickling them in every month or two like they have been with Sun and Moon... my hype for the new generation was extinguished before any of them interested me.

Not sure what to think of Pokken. All three announcements they made weren't completely "new" games, a trend we've already been experiencing since the Switch's launch. Might end up passing on it.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I have the same concern, honestly.

People seem to be viewing the port as a good sign for Smash, but it's every bit as much of a bad sign. Yes, another "Deluxe" port is proof enough that MK8 wasn't a one-time thing, but at the same time, releasing too many ports would send a negative message to consumers.....that Nintendo doesn't have much new to offer, and that they basically just want you to buy the same old games again and again.
Ehh, that's Nintendo's specialty. Reproducing what you already know and selling it to you again. xD

For real though, I think they'd rather have a larger volume of output with ports than a lighter one without. Making sure they have a steady stream of content being released still seems, to me, like their priority. Even if that means some of the titles will not be original.

Plus I don't think they'll really care if they can get performances akin to MK8D out of their other ports. Insofar as there is a clear, lucrative market for them, not that it would be able to pull MK8D numbers. Tangible evidence that people are snatching up your ports is a pretty solid way to drown out the complaints of their frequency. And maybe that gravy train won't last forever, but with the Switch's library restricted to one, maybe two notable games a month it probably can sustain itself for a while at least.

n8han11

Smash Journeyman

The Wii U failed.
How about instead of ******** about them porting over games and adding in more content you just move on like Nintendo and I did.

If you want to live in your own fantasy world where you can pretend getting more and more cheap ports with held-back content is nothing but a good thing, I won't stop you. God forbid some of us disagree with the all-knowing, never wrong Nintendo.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
People say that even when Nintendo doesn't make ports. Even if all these games were sequels they'd be met with the same accusation just because they're the same IP. They only did it once and people acted like they were never going to release a new game again. And if Nintendo makes a new IP? LOL it doesn't exist, unless it does well enough to get a sequel in which case it's just another port no matter how many features it adds because the only way a sequel is a sequel is if it changes the setting and has a dramatic artstyle shift, reasons for the existing setting and lack of time for artstyle evolution setting be darned.

It's not like Nintendo's going to be able to make less new games with these ports, Pokken and Smash 4 are Namco's job. Nintendo's busy working on actually new games, not that anyone would notice either way.
I have no clue what you're rambling about, to be perfectly honest.

I've never seen anyone put a sequel in the same boat as a port if the "artstyle and setting aren't completely different". I've seen people complain about re-used assets and one troll on GameFAQs say that New Super Mario Bros U was a port of New Super Mario Bros Wii, but outside of that.....nope.

The belief that the ports prevent Nintendo from making actual sequels is stupid, yes, but I don't see how it's relevant, given that I said nothing about it. If the Switch's library gets filled with Wii U re-releases, it's going to be viewed as a console that has nothing new to offer. Porting everything sounds like a good idea on paper and gives the Switch a huge library out of the gate, but the eventual hit on its reputation makes me question how viable it really is.

Ehh, that's Nintendo's specialty. Reproducing what you already know and selling it to you again. xD

For real though, I think they'd rather have a larger volume of output with ports than a lighter one without. Making sure they have a steady stream of content being released still seems, to me, like their priority. Even if that means some of the titles will not be original.

Plus I don't think they'll really care if they can get performances akin to MK8D out of their other ports. Insofar as there is a clear, lucrative market for them, not that it would be able to pull MK8D numbers. Tangible evidence that people are snatching up your ports is a pretty solid way to drown out the complaints of their frequency. And maybe that gravy train won't last forever, but with the Switch's library restricted to one, maybe two notable games a month it probably can sustain itself for a while at least.
Fair enough.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
My biggest fear for he Switch is that it would take away all of the exclusives the Wii U had. Pokken being there is concerning enough.

I don't want to put 300 hours of time into Xenoblade X again. **** that.
Well, it's not like you bought Pokken to begin with.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm just excited for my boy Decidueye in Pokken. One step closer to Smash. :D

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
If you want to live in your own fantasy world where you can pretend getting more and more cheap ports is nothing but a good thing, I won't stop you.
It is objectively a good thing though.
- The Switch is set to sell more than the Wii U, therefore you'll have people who never owned a Wii U on the Switch.
- Ports allow people who never played those games to play them, often with the added bonus of being better than the regular version.
- Being cheap is better for Nintendo and you're still getting new games. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe didn't stop ARMS from happening despite having the same development team.

God forbid some of us disagree with the all-knowing, never wrong Nintendo.
God forbid people use logic instead of accusing people of being fanboys for using said logic.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Also can I just say that that was a fairly long, seemingly expensive trailer to make for what was, in reality, the port of a game with only one actual completely new character.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

The Wii U failed.

Going to chime in and say moving on to new and different consoles isn't as easy and flipping a Switch (har)...

Gaming is an expensive hobby as is...and while the Wii U didn't exactly do well...it doesn't exactly look good on those that did support the system to pretend it didn't exist, especially if the content was already made for the system...not everyone can afford to just move on when it often means spending twice as much money simply to get more characters for a fighting game...

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I wish the warning I gave before this all started had actually helped. It's kind of depressing when I can see an entire situation like this coming from a mile away.

I mean, granted I wasn't expecting the Wii U angst to come back from the grave one more time when I probably should have, but geez the next game being a Sun/Moon variant on the 3DS was easy enough to see coming.

Can we at least set up some prep for E3? No, you're not getting F-Zero and Advance Wars. And Metroid is going to be there but you're going to hate it and pretend it doesn't exist and Metroid is dead some more no matter how many games Metroid gets. There will be some games announced but there won't be as many as you want there to be and they'll spend like 20 minutes rambling about Mario Odyssey. And there won't be very many "big boy" games and Nintendoomed etc.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon being only on 3DS is pretty disappointing. I have an old 3DS and I hear Sun and Moon struggle quite a bit on that. Guess I'll have to wait for the inevitable Pokémon Switch.
Volume 3 is a Tournament Arc
I SAID TOURNAMENT ARC
Is it done well or poorly?

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
This Direct ****ed three slots of my Bingo, but also filled at least three of them too.

FeelsOkMan.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
So Nintendo's E3 presentation is estimated to be 30 minutes long.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/06/press_release_suggests_e3_nintendo_spotlight_will_be_about_30_minutes

If true, it's shorter than 2014 and 2015, though the last normal direct was about that length and was very succinct at showing off titles. Though, the E3 directs have been more flashy with longer segments.

Whatever's in it, I hope it's good.

Oh boy... please tell me there will be zero filler involved if its that short. I'm going to be annoyed if there's constant filler throughout the spotlight.

I'm honestly hoping it's the equivalent of what the April 12th Nintendo Direct did. That was a well done presentation, and I hope Nintendo considers doing it again for this spotlight, but without filler.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
not for wii u owners
They still got the game, it's not like Nintendo took it from them.
Is it bad for TLOU owners on PS3 that the PS4 then got an enhanced port with more content and options?

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

Oh boy... please tell me there will be zero filler involved if its that short. I'm going to be annoyed if there's constant filler throughout the spotlight.

I'm honestly hoping it's the equivalent of what the April 12th Nintendo Direct did. That was a well done presentation, and I hope Nintendo considers doing it again for this spotlight, but without filler.
How long would the other ones be if they gutted the puppets and the Robot Chicken? Can someone go check?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom