• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It sucks there's no MM&B or Switch/3DS version, but having 9/10 see a physical release complete with DLC content is awesome news for both Mega Man fans and Game Preservationists. :love:

Hopefully other Wiiware/PSN/XBLive titles will someday follow suit like Sonic 4 or the Konami Rebirth series.
I wouldn't count on Sonic 4 getting a physical release since it's not very popular.

I really hope Sonic Mania gets a proper physical release, though.

D

Deleted member

Seriously, am I the only one who feels like Cantors are a fun and challenging part of the game?
Everywhere I go I see people complaining about it like it's the worst thing ever when all you need to do is maximize player phase damage.
posting the potential leak from 4chan/gaf/dont really care, because even thlough someone mentioned it, we all know it would show up sooner or later here.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=239229135&postcount=520

lol Alola pokemon stay relevant forever for smash

Although note a few posts below what Dqrow/bias/etc noted before I could edit
Curious how it appears just after a Direct is announced
Pics look good but Gladion has no outline.
Also
>No more Alolan trials.
Please, no.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Chrono.

posting the potential leak from 4chan/gaf/dont really care, because even thlough someone mentioned it, we all know it would show up sooner or later here.

Concept art does look kinda real, but tons of artists can recreate the style. The screenshot looks way more suspect though.

Also no more Alolan trials is suspect as hell. But they /were/ building gyms, it'd just suck to go back to the old formular. Though I know lots of folks who thought Alolan trials weren't all that great.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Seriously, am I the only one who feels like Cantors are a fun and challenging part of the game?
Everywhere I go I see people complaining about it like it's the worst thing ever when all you need to do is maximize player phase damage.

Curious how it appears just after a Direct is announced
Pics look good but Gladion has no outline.
Also
>No more Alolan trials.
Please, no.

Again, don't really find them a challenge, but that's because I just find them tedious.

I just never find fighting waves of the same enemy over and over very fun. It's avoidable sometimes but other times it isn't. Early game cantors also are too beefy IMO, unless you get a lucky crit you aren't one turning them and the spells they counter with are usually quite powerful and your units won't have much Res at the beginning of the game. I somehow managed the first cantor map without a hitch (it's been so long that I can't remember what I did, I know Genny helped though), but a lot of people struggle with the first cantor once they get to him because he's too beefy.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly the trials had so much potential, but in the end they all kind of sucked. It's one of the gripes I have with Sun and Moon. If they were gone and replaced with proper gyms I'd be more than okay.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I wouldn't count on Sonic 4 getting a physical release since it's not very popular.

I really hope Sonic Mania gets a proper physical release, though.
To be honest I was expecting Sonic 4 to get a physical release well before MM9/10 given SEGA's track record with ports & licensing out to 3rd Party Mini-Consoles. Here's hoping.

Sonic Mania not getting a physical release is my only hold up with it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
To be honest I was expecting Sonic 4 to get a physical release well before MM9/10 given SEGA's track record with ports & licensing out to 3rd Party Mini-Consoles. Here's hoping.

Sonic Mania not getting a physical release is my only hold up with it.
I figure you'd be the best person to ask about this, since you're part of the game collector/preservationist crowd.

At what point, if any, do digital versions start to deteriorate, necessitating a physical version for preservation purposes? I've heard this a few times (with the whole "digital releases are licenses, not ownership" argument attached) but never really understood the specifics of it.

Chrono.

Honestly the trials had so much potential, but in the end they all kind of sucked. It's one of the gripes I have with Sun and Moon. If they were gone and replaced with proper gyms I'd be more than okay.
I agree, but I'd like if they just tried to fix trials instead of just going back to gyms again.

Though that might just be me.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004

The screenshot looks odd for some reason, but it does match up with the concept art, which looks convincing since it resembles the concept arts you commonly find in those Pokemon guidebooks.

I actually like Gladion's design there a lot.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Hooo boy.
Sony had a statement about backwards compatibility.
"This looks old as hell, why would anyone play this?" so no BC.
Reminder that this happened when Black Ops 2 became Backwards Compatible on the Xbox One:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I wonder why they pushed the announcement of the new Pokémon game this late, GF loves their May timeslot so I wonder why they were saving it for now.

Anyway, I stand by my predictions being either Stars, DP remakes, or Kanto sequels. Stars and the DP remakes have already been explained multiple times over, but the latter I feel is a bit more likely then I thought a few months ago since according to Serebii the Japanese Pokémon Twitter has been dropping random tweets about the original games as of late, which could lead to something about them. Either way, we'll see what GF has in mind for us this year tomorrow so we don't have to speculate for much longer.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I'm more hopeful for Sinnoh remakes tbh...

I want Cynthia to have her time in the sun...and moon

D

Deleted member

Again, don't really find them a challenge, but that's because I just find them tedious.

I just never find fighting waves of the same enemy over and over very fun. It's avoidable sometimes but other times it isn't. Early game cantors also are too beefy IMO, unless you get a lucky crit you aren't one turning them and the spells they counter with are usually quite powerful and your units won't have much Res at the beginning of the game. I somehow managed the first cantor map without a hitch (it's been so long that I can't remember what I did, I know Genny helped though), but a lot of people struggle with the first cantor once they get to him because he's too beefy.
(Most)Cantors don't attack on EP so you can easily just gang on them early game, after Act 2, it takes a time to see them again(Desaix's Fortress and Grieth's Citadel) and by this point, Bonewalkers and Revenants are barely a threat. You also have Archers who can easily snipe the Cantors, because unlike what people keep saying, they rarely use Supply Tiles, Mikhail in the Temple of Mila will actually move off it and attack someone if they're in range, and in Celica's route, you should have at least two DFs who can easily tank magic and hit Cantors even on supply tiles.

Also, Expel, 65% chance to outright kill a Terror and it's AOE. Maybe it'll fail or just not kill the numbers you need but you have MT to abuse RNG. You can also counter with your summons, which Genny gets really early, she has all the tools to defeat them.

Act 4 shows how non-threatening Summons are because Necrodragons have ****ty Atk and Spd and Gargoyles only have Spd.

I feel like they're a much better way to handle reinforcements because you can eliminate all by killing the Cantor, you can tell right away where they'll come from and only show up at most 8 every other turn.
Which is much better than Birthright's endgame chapters(the one with Iago is just ridiculous) or Awakening's asshole reinforcements

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Man now that I have a new ps4 I can finally play Dragon Quest Builders, and World of Final Fantasy!

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Sony confirmed some titles for E3:
- God of War
- Spider-Man
- Uncharted: Lost Legacy
- Days Gone
- GT Sport

God of War has some details confirmed too.

he God of War reboot from Sony's Santa Monica studio will be central to this – its new, more narrative-focused, open-world approach with a grizzled, bearded Kratos coming as a direct result of Sony's new global thinking. While always popular in North America, past games in the series just didn't do it for players elsewhere. "It's a franchise that has historically acutely underperformed in Europe," Ryan says. "Hack and slash games tend to not do so well in Europe, so the narrative this time around will make a big difference. European gamers love narrative games. And Singstar.
Ugh...
**** Singstar as well

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
another pokemon coloseum please GF, plz
I'd be down for that. Would be cool if they kinda merged the story of those games with the non-story battle system of Pokemon Revolution. Being able to sync your PC box with the game and build your own teams, rather than having to use pre-made teams.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I figure you'd be the best person to ask about this, since you're part of the game collector/preservationist crowd.

At what point, if any, do digital versions start to deteriorate, necessitating a physical version for preservation purposes? I've heard this a few times (with the whole "digital releases are licenses, not ownership" argument attached) but never really understood the specifics of it.
Digital versions are licenses in the sense that you are only a legal owner of the game for as long as the game is officially available. You can delete it and re-download it as long as it's available but once the company who made it takes it down, there is no way to legally play the game.

In terms of preservation, digital versions work just fine as long as you have them downloaded. It's easy to just store them on a USB or disc or whatever and keep them for as long as you like, even if you don't want to fill up space on your personal hard drive.

The only issue with this is that if you wanted to distribute your copy of the game this way for research purposes or for letting your friends play a game that's no longer available, it's technically illegal. Not that I've heard of this law coming into play, but I guess it's the principle of the matter.

With an official physical release, there is no real legal issue with handing your personal copy of the game around, especially when it's out of print. It's a physical product that you possess and own and a company can't just come to your door and confiscate it from you when it's out of print.

And in terms of preservation, as long as nobody is breaking physical copies, there will always be people out there who can donate or sell them on to people who will value them or have a use for them. With digital copies though, you have to hope someone keeps it on their hard drive when it's removed from sale, and that they know how to duplicate for others to use.

(Most)Cantors don't attack on EP so you can easily just gang on them early game, after Act 2, it takes a time to see them again(Desaix's Fortress and Grieth's Citadel) and by this point, Bonewalkers and Revenants are barely a threat. You also have Archers who can easily snipe the Cantors, because unlike what people keep saying, they rarely use Supply Tiles, Mikhail in the Temple of Mila will actually move off it and attack someone if they're in range, and in Celica's route, you should have at least two DFs who can easily tank magic and hit Cantors even on supply tiles.

Also, Expel, 65% chance to outright kill a Terror and it's AOE. Maybe it'll fail or just not kill the numbers you need but you have MT to abuse RNG. You can also counter with your summons, which Genny gets really early, she has all the tools to defeat them.

Act 4 shows how non-threatening Summons are because Necrodragons have ****ty Atk and Spd and Gargoyles only have Spd.

I feel like they're a much better way to handle reinforcements because you can eliminate all by killing the Cantor, you can tell right away where they'll come from and only show up at most 8 every other turn.
Which is much better than Birthright's endgame chapters(the one with Iago is just ridiculous) or Awakening's ******* reinforcements

It's definitely better than how Fates handled it and has merits but I still think it's not a perfect system and has some problems, most notably the unreliability of Expel and the beefiness of some Cantors (Archers counter them in theory but it depends on map layout and what other threats exist on the map at a given time). I also don't think Mila's Turnwheel is a perfect solution to everything. I once turnwheeled 6 times in a row because Expel failed when I needed it to work. An Undo function shouldn't serve the primary purpose of retrying RNG when it screws you over, it should be for fixing a player's genuine strategic missteps. I feel like Mila's Turnwheel was mainly added to cover up some of Gaiden's obvious flaws like piss poor hit rates at times and stuff like Witch RNG and the RNG of how many monsters a Cantor will spawn, as opposed to fixing those flaws outright and keeping the Turnwheel for genuine mistakes on the player's part. I still appreciate it but I would rather use it for real mistakes rather than consciously saving turnwheels for RNG re-rolling.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I never found them that bad outside of a few maps. Expel takes care of the mobs they spawn, and now at endgame/post game it's pretty easy to take them out before they can summon any monsters.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
:4corrin: Literally only got considered because he could advertise an upcoming game, not because of any actual merits l;ike popularity or importance.
Importance still mattered overall. He's the main character of his game. Advertisement wasn't so much as "it's now or never".

No he didn't. He never stated that. That was more a speculated point than anything he actually said.
@PushDustIn: Clarify please? I remember that being an actual point. Do you have the original script or whatever page where it was said?

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
. . .So we're doing a Pokemon Direct.

OKAY THEN, I GUESS THIS IS HAPPENING.

I actually DON'T want it to be DPP remakes because that's one of my most wanted games ever and I want it to be on the Switch after Game Freak has gotten a good amount of practice so it'll be even better. There's a very strong chance this next game is for the 3DS, so I'd rather they get a third version out of the way instead. You can still play DPP on the 3DS, so there's not much point there.

To be honest, after this long I wasn't sure if they were gonna do it. There's been so many different contradictory things floating around about this game and Game Freak's current work in general that I have no idea what's actually going to be announced.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC

I dont understand the "you dont own a digital game" thing either. I sometimes, ok all the time, get dog piled if I say "I bought it so I own it"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom