• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I don't follow Fire Emblem stuff, so would anyone mind filling me in on the issue(s)?
I'll try to keep this short but it'll probably take a bit regardless.

Basically, the first thing to know is that Fire Emblem games have huge casts, and barring the occasional sequel, remake, or sequel remake. They're different in every game. This plays into the issue some have with Fire Emblem Warriors.

Fire Emblem Warriors announced what some expected and others dreaded for a while, that the roster would pretty much just be characters from Shadow Dragon, Awakening, and Fates. This would leave out swathes of characters from other games, including the Jugdral saga (FE4 and 5), Elibe games (FE6 and 7), Magvel (FE8), Tellius (FE9 and 10), and Valentia (FE2/15). Part of this reason is due to Awakening saving the series, Fates being the most successful game, and Shadow Dragon being a remake of the first game, Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light.

However, within the Fire Emblem fan base itself, there's a bit of a schism. The fans of older games often don't overlap with fans of the newer games, and vice versa, so having only those three games present alienates some of the fans. It also rules out incredibly popular characters like Ike, Roy, Lyn, and Hector, who all scored within the top five of their gender bracket in the Heroes popularity poll.

The excuse they gave, that they didn't want to bloat the roster with sword users, didn't go over well with people either, even people who enjoy the three games represented. This is because three of the four original characters have been confirmed as sword users so far, so it seems contradictory.

And that's just the abridged version of things. I'm still hyped though.

Chrono.

I don't follow Fire Emblem stuff, so would anyone mind filling me in on the issue(s)?
The new FE Musou will be focusing on characters from Marth's game and the 3DS titles (sans Echoes). Fans of the older games are angry about this because it's always those games that get the most attention etc etc.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
The FE warriors devs said that the roster will primarily be drawn from Shadow Dragon, Awakening, and Fates. Naturally, fans who were hoping for more of a series wide crossover rather than just milking/promoting the 3 most popular games/continents in the series were disappointed.

Then the devs gave the weak sauce excuse that the other games were excluded because otherwise everyone would be using swords...while also adding original characters that all appear to use swords.

Edit: should also mention that this is coming after a similar kerfuffle over TMS#FE, which only featured characters from Shadow Dragon and Awakening.

Last edited:

Chrono.

The Mr Saturn event match in SSF2 is waaay more trouble than it should be.

EDIT: Right after I post this I beat it with no issues.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
One thing I would like to say though, is that two characters wielding swords doesn't necessarily mean those two characters will play the same.

Marth is a fleet-footed fencer who would completely outmaneuver his foes. He'd probably have a lot of jumping attacks as well. I'm envisioning him being similar to how Toon Link was in Hyrule Warriors with his Sword loadout.

Ike is a powerhouse who can wield a legendary greatsword that shoots blade beams, with one hand.

Ryoma is a samurai who's signature sword is an electric katana that can send electric shocks to his foes. Being a samurai, his fighting style would likely be that of powerful attacks with lightning fast start-up speed, but a ton of cooldown making him very punishable if he whiffs.

Xander rides a horse and also wields a legendary blade that shoots laser beams. He'd play like Link + Epona in Hyrule Warriors if anything.

Corrin has a sacred blade that can take on different forms, which could be incorporated into gameplay by making him capable of switching between forms of the Yato blade that perhaps have different properties and change his stats or even his weapon advantage colour. One form of this blade is it essentially being a chainsaw which is obviously completely unique in terms of Fire Emblem, and he also has the ability to both partially and fully transform into a dragon. Plus those dragon powers also grant him water bending powers.

So while I would say there is a limit to how many sword users there should be, I wouldn't assume they will all play the same. The ones who have been teased at least, as well as fan favourites like Ike, would definitely bring their own playstyle to the table so characters being unique should not be a concern as of right now.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I remember playing the first Smash Flash with my friends in middle school.

Sure has been a while, huh?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I remember playing the first Smash Flash with my friends in middle school.

Sure has been a while, huh?
Yeah. I remember being in the 6th grade when my friend showed me SSF1. That was over a decade ago.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Lots of fan favourite characters are getting ignored due to them not being from Shadow Dragon, Awakening or Fates. The reasoning given was "Otherwise there'd be too many sword users". 8 out of 9 confirmed playable characters use swords, with only 2 teases of non swords and the 9th character not having their weapon type revealed yet. Hector is a fan favourite and uses axes instead of swords, Ephraim's fairly popular and used lances instead of swords. Celica's gotten a boost in popularity due to Echoes and uses Magic too. Miciah ONLY uses magic. Black Knight would have been PERFECT for the Dynasty Warriors Lu-Bu archetype
If they don't know much about Fire Emblem those names are gonna make the whole post look confusing.

There are protagonists from other games that don't use swords. That would sum it up easier. Granted, the more POPULAR protagonists from all of those games are more sword users. In fact, the most popular male and female characters in Fire Emblem are from those games. . .and are sword users.

Also Black Knight is another sword user.

On the bright side, two of our eight sword users have a likely twist (one is Corrin, who needs no explanation I presume, and the other is an equestrian unit) and it's possible the OC siblings can equip other weapons since the girl was seen with a spear in a screenshot. That said, what we really need is more users of other weapons mixed in.

The three games we have contain quite a few interesting unique unit types between them, they're just all. . .super non plot relevant.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
its almost like a sword killed their mothers and fathers, killed their dogs and burnt their house down
Wait, we can go further!

The sword killed their parents, ate their dog, burned their entire village down, turned their girlfriend into a brainwashed cyborg, turned their brother into an EVIL brainwashed cyborg, kidnapped their friends, kicked off the apocalypse, and said their hair was stupid.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Wait, we can go further!

The sword killed their parents, ate their dog, burned their entire village down, turned their girlfriend into a brainwashed cyborg, turned their brother into an EVIL brainwashed cyborg, kidnapped their friends, kicked off the apocalypse, and said their hair was stupid.
"It poisoned our water supply, burned our crops and delivered a plague unto our houses!"

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Wait, we can go further!

Why stop there?

The sword killed their parents, ate their dog, burned their entire village down, turned their girlfriend into a brainwashed cyborg, turned their brother into an evil brainwashed cyborg, kidnapped their friends, kicked off the apocalypse, said their hair was stupid, destroyed their crops, ***** their women (and men), declared war on China, voted for Trump, played hookey with their ex, defiled the body of the child, destroyed the fourth wall, resurrected Pepe, used the rest of the toilet paper, licked all the cream off the oreos and put them back in the package, sent fourth the plague of the toads, played Mario Kart competitively with your ex, beat their high score at pinball, ate the last slice of pizza that they called dibs on, said pineapples belonged on pizza, played Gunslinger on Hightower, and *deep breath* shipped Fox with Lucario!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :4lucario:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Why hate Roy when you can love Roy instead?

:4feroy:

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
Roy getting in FEW is gonna dictate whether I pre order or not.
i mean what other red hair sword lords exist? none that how many roy just spawned from the aether one day....the harder we push for eliwoods erasure the faster it becomes real, and really having hector playable right after lyns story gets rid of the filler that is having to play as roy dad

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
i mean what other red hair sword lords exist? none that how many roy just spawned from the aether one day....the harder we push for eliwoods erasure the faster it becomes real, and really having hector playable right after lyns story gets rid of the filler that is having to play as roy dad
I like Eliwood even if he can't wield Durandel for ****. But if his erasure gets rid of the ****lord, then it is a necessary evil *grabs cloaks*

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Roy getting in FEW is gonna dictate whether I pre order or not.
Hey is this a toned down version of that verse from the Book of Roy?

"My lord. Let the eyes of the unworthy be plucked from their mortal flesh if that they would dare not acknowledge your righteous presence in the Warriors of the Fire Emblem."

I'm kidding.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
I like Eliwood even if he can't wield Durandel for ****. But if his erasure gets rid of the ****lord, then it is a necessary evil *grabs cloaks*
shame my post opens with "roy spawned from the aether" meaning eliwood dosent need to exist for him too

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Even ignoring Eliwood, Celica was the OG red haired sword lord. Yes, she can use magic as well, but she's still a lord with both a sword and red hair.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
We interrupt the ****lord Defence Force to bring you a Switch durability test.

The Switch survived. The Left Joy-Con died. Might be because it "landed" on the Left Joy-Con.

Chrono.

We interrupt the ****lord Defence Force to bring you a Switch durability test.

The Switch survived. The Left Joy-Con died. Might be because it "landed" on the Left Joy-Con.

I normally don't like stuff like this but hey at least it survived.

Unlike that Switch with the Triforce.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I normaly dont talk about Politics but Barron, Trumps little son, saw a picture of that fake Decapitated bloody trump head and it scared the **** out of him because he thought it was real.. worst thing is he hasnt seen his father in weeks poor child..

That ends the political talk and onto a different thing. Its ****ing humid as hell in Virginia Beach right now

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So here's a question.

If you had to transfer one of the nine Team Fortress 2 classes into Overwatch, who would it be and how would they work?

And vice versa, transfer one of the Overwatch heroes into TF2's 10th class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom