• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'll admit DLC could make this roster amazing.

But its modern Capcom DLC.

SFV's system had some great potential to buck that trend, but it missed the mark entirely.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Honestly, I don't think it's exactly fair to compare the Marvel Infinite roster to a roster like Marvel 2 and Ultimate/Vanilla Marvel 3 based on size alone for a variety of reasons.
  1. Marvel 2 and 3 are 3v3 fighting games, so having base roster sizes that complement 3v3 and 2v2 make sense (2 had 56, 3 had 36, Ultimate had 48, Infinite has 28).
  2. In comparison to other 2v2 Vs. series rosters, Infinite has the largest of all of them (TvC had 22, Marvel 1 had 15, 21 including secret characters).
I think the biggest problem I have with the general reaction to Infinite's roster is that people have been spoiled by large rosters post-Marvel 2. Marvel Infinite's roster size isn't bad by any means, especially since XvsF, MshvSF and MvC1 (all 2v2 games) had a small amount of characters.

Although, the characters within Infinite's roster itself is another can of worms altogether.

Last edited:

Chrono.

I don't really see how it's a reboot. The roster isn't wildly different other than having less characters and no X-Men/FF on Marvel's side (which may have been licencing issues more than anything else) and the gameplay itself doesn't have any huge changes to how it used to play other than adding/removing mechanics, which is something every entry does. It's not like Mortal Kombat Armageddon to 9, which had a completely new fighting system that used the classic games as a base.

Hell, SF3 feels more like a reboot than MvCI currently does (which I think was the idea at the time before fan backlash). The roster for that was completely new aside of Ryu and Ken who almost didn't make it in at all.

Of course I could always be wrong and Capcom or Combofiend could come out and say "Yeah it's a reboot" making this entire post obsolete.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
What about MvCI makes it a reboot? Not including major characters people want? It's 2v2, but so was MvC1.

It doesn't really change enough to distinguish itself as a reboot rather than a sequel. I need more than "it's not titled 4".

Last edited:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
The only character I'm hyped to see is Jedah, great to know he will be in a fighting game again. Also good to know Venom will be back. But I'm surprised that Nova is coming back too, would've preferred Tasky instead tbh. Wouldn't have been better in many people's eyes but **** you I want at least ONE of my mains from 3 back.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
>playing modded skyrim
>wildcat mod enhances combat
>launches a saber cat into the air with a great sword at level 6

I'm really feeling it. :4shulk:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I remember hearing rumors MvCI is supposed to be a reboot. I don't remember much more than that, including the source. Anybody who remembers more, could they confirm if I just have a bad memory or was correct? Not saying the rumor is true, obviously.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
No Viewtiful Joe is a big sting for me. One of my favourite videogame characters and he's not in.
HENSHIN A NO NO, CAPCOM!

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
When I think of reboots I think of Tomb Raider, Doom, Ninja Gaiden, DMC, Killer Instinct etc.

If MVCI is a reboot, then it's probably the first ever reboot to reuse assets/animations from the previous installment of the series.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
What about MvCI makes it a reboot? Not including major characters people want? It's 2v2, but so was MvC1.

It doesn't really change enough to distinguish itself as a reboot rather than a sequel. I need more than "it's not titled 4".
Edit: scratch what I said initially, define reboot.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
One thing to note is that MvC has constantly used old sprites, entirely outdated ones that clash with other sprites. They're not the same style or anything. The art design doesn't really mean much because the series doesn't follow a very specific art rule or pattern.

Reusing the same assets(like they often do) for a reboot is logical if it saves time. It's not like the art looks outdated in this case. The designs are still very good and worth using at this time.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
It seems like my scepticism surrounding MVC:I wasn't misplaced after all. I knew it'd be a big topic around here, and looking over who we're losing from the transition and what we might be getting on release day... Even if I wanted Jedah as a newcomer, the fact we'll lose a massive chunk of characters that I love like Phoenix Wright, Viewtiful Joe, and Amaterasu; and that's not even including the X-Men and Fantastic 4 charas like Dr. Doom and Deadpool... It's just not worth it.

I am expecting disappointment day one and I don't even intend to buy MVC:I.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
One thing to note is that MvC has constantly used old sprites, entirely outdated ones that clash with other sprites. They're not the same style or anything. The art design doesn't really mean much because the series doesn't follow a very specific art rule or pattern.

Reusing the same assets(like they often do) for a reboot is logical if it saves time. It's not like the art looks outdated in this case. The designs are still very good and worth using at this time.
If it's reusing assets I would hardly consider it to be a reboot. And if it's reusing assets there is less of an excuse to have less characters than Vanilla MVC3 where all of the characters in that game were made from the ground up; especially since it seems about only 1/4 of the characters in MVCI were build from the ground up.

If it did enough to differentiate itself from it's predecessors, then maybe the reboot excuse would work. They're not putting extra time in making an all new battle system or something, it's practically the same gameplay with a few tweaks and 2 characters instead of three (which is probably less work for them, they don't even have to make assists anymore).

Not to mention they're holding back characters like Sigma just so they can later sell them as DLC.

It all just comes across as greedy, and it's not like Capcoms never been accused of greedy business practices before.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If it's reusing assets I would hardly consider it to be a reboot. And if it's reusing assets there is less of an excuse to have less characters than Vanilla MVC3 where all of the characters in that game were made from the ground up; especially since it seems about 1/4 of the characters in MVCI were build from the ground up.

If it did enough to differentiate itself from it's predecessors, then maybe the reboot excuse would work.

Not to mention they're holding back characters like Sigma just so they can later sell them as DLC.

It all just comes across as greedy, and it's not like Capcoms never been accused of greedy business practices before.
Sorry, that doesn't mean it can't be a reboot. You're only looking at it from one angle. The gameplay is 2v2, specifically something Marvel VS Capcom 1 did. Reusing graphics does not make it a sequel whatsoever. It can very much be a reboot, since the more important part is the roster, story, and gameplay. Graphics aren't everything. Hell, graphics are the least important point to look at. A smaller roster, gameplay being similar to the first Marvel VS Capcom game itself, two pretty big notable points. It's not even close to hard to believe it's a reboot.

I won't pretend the leaked roster isn't underwhelming. Definitely is. Even for a reboot, some of the choices can feel lackluster.

That said, you expect Disney and Capcom not to go for a way to get lots of money? These guys? It's not hard to believe at all. They did announce it was have DLC soon enough. Crappy business practice, definitely. But still their style.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
The only character I'm hyped to see is Jedah, great to know he will be in a fighting game again.
Jedah's getting in MvC?
Well, huh. I knew FE Echoes was pretty well liked, but who knew it was popular enough to get Jedah added to MvC?

:troll:

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Sorry, that doesn't mean it can't be a reboot. You're only looking at it from one angle. The gameplay is 2v2, specifically something Marvel VS Capcom 1 did. Reusing graphics does not make it a sequel whatsoever. It can very much be a reboot, since the more important part is the roster, story, and gameplay. Graphics aren't everything. Hell, graphics are the least important point to look at. A smaller roster, gameplay being similar to the first Marvel VS Capcom game itself, two pretty big notable points. It's not even close to hard to believe it's a reboot.

I won't pretend the leaked roster isn't underwhelming. Definitely is. Even for a reboot, some of the choices can feel lackluster.

That said, you expect Disney and Capcom not to go for a way to get lots of money? These guys? It's not hard to believe at all. They did announce it was have DLC soon enough. Crappy business practice, definitely. But still their style.
What are even the minimum requirements to be considered a reboot?

If MVC2 wasn't called 2 and instead was called MVC [insert title] could it be considered a reboot with the amount of things that were changed?

It just feels too similar to the previous game to be considered a reboot, but I guess my opinion doesn't really matter.

If they want to call it a reboot that's fine, but it's not a good excuse as to why the roster is so bad for reasons I've said already. That's all I was really trying to get at.

If it was revealed that Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash was a reboot of the franchise, it wouldn't change the disappointment I had with the game due to the lack of content in it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
What are even the minimum requirements to be considered a reboot?
Simply being a reboot of the franchise/game series by stating it is. That's it. There's no hard or fast rules. Generally, it will have less overall content.

If MVC2 wasn't called 2 and instead was called MVC [insert title] could it be considered a reboot with the amount of things that were changed?
Depends. Again, matter of the company saying it is.

It just feels too similar to the previous game to be considered a reboot, but I guess my opinion doesn't really matter.
That's not how reboots or sequels work anyway. There aren't hard and fast rules, which is kind of important to remember at times. That's something key to remember during speculation as well. There's always more to it than meets the eye.

If they want to call it a reboot that's fine, but it's not a good excuse as to why the roster is so bad for reasons I've said already. That's all I was really trying to get at.
A good or bad roster is irrelevant to whether it's a reboot. The size may matter, though. The exact choices are always debatable and isn't really related to a reboot status. It just means the roster isn't favorable to some. And yes, I am not a fan of the cuts either.

If it was revealed that Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash was a reboot of the franchise, it wouldn't change the disappointment I had with the game due to the lack of content in it.
Exactly. Being a reboot has nothing to do with the amount of content inherently. It's not that black and white. A reboot really just depends on how the company views it at this point. My point was we can't use graphics as a good indicator of its status. We really have nothing to go on at this point of whether we can call it a sequel or a reboot officially. All we have thusfar are re-used assets(which suggests a sequel), and specific re-use of a gimmick(from the first Marvel VS Capcom game in the series) of 2v2(which suggests a reboot). It's iffy either way.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I didn't know that the MCU got rebooted with Winter Soldier, Civil War, Age of Ultron, The Dark World, Ragnarok and Infinity War! No number so it's TOTES a reboot, right?

Plus, TvC was made from the ground up, Infinite reused assets and has a small amount of not from 3. The whole point of reusing assets is to be able to do more for less costs! Even then, TvC had planned ****ing Feeny AND Franziska

D

Deleted member

Holy ****, Grieth really IS M.Bison
I like Jesse already, kinda like a toned down Arthur but more handsome.
I even made Atlas a Merc(because I don't feel like grinding him up as a Mage for Rescue) so he's usable now... except on the first desert map because lol sand
I COULD recruit Deen to make full on Merc land but I'll go with Sonya for her spell list. Is it just me or does Deen look a lot like Shura?

Meanwhile, Alm has been striggling to reach the battle next to the Forest Village BECAUSE THIS DAMN GAME DOESN'T STOP SPAWNING PALADINS AND ARCANISTS DAMNIT
Jedah's getting in MvC?
Well, huh. I knew FE Echoes was pretty well liked, but who knew it was popular enough to get Jedah added to MvC?

:troll:
I still think it should have been Rudolf, he's a much better villain :/
But I guess they have too many lance users already and went with the Mage
Still, Nuibaba teleport spam would have been cooler

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I love how fast everyone here tore the Smash leak apart.

It was just like old times.

Brings a tear to my eye.
Yep, the old 4chan, ESRB leak, Rayman fake leak, those were the good ol days.
Oh yeah, I watched the new LWA
I almost cried at it, **** was too beautiful.
I now also wondering if Ursula is going to lose her magic or not when she saved Akko from those pollen.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Do you guys think MvCI will reach the 2 million copies target? I mean, it still has big name characters like Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Hulk and especially Spider-Man to grab casual interest, so to them, the roster would still look good.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Tell you what I would like at this stage, based on all this MvC talk.

A Smash reboot. I want absolute carnage - but I also want new life.

The main thing that I would do in this reboot: new movesets for all characters.

Then I'd focus on SP, maybe with some RPG elements.

Then I'd kill 8P Smash.

Then I dunno, I'd cut a couple of 'safe characters' so no one would know what's happening.

Then I'd bring back all 64 stages in HD.

And... I dunno what else. A reboot would be way more interesting than a port or sequel.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm not sure if this has been posted about here, but there's a cool Easter Egg in FE Echoes.

If you leave Kliff and Faye behind with Alm, but head back to Ram Village with Celica before going to Zofia Castle, you can actually recruit Kliff and Faye with Celica. They even have special dialogue with Celica for their recruitment conversation.

It's obviously not practical to do this, as Alm needs them more and you would have to go out of your way to grind them up to par in the Thieves Shrine if they are to be at all useful for Celica. But it's a nice attention to detail nonetheless and could be fun to mess with on repeat playthroughs. I also know that Faye offers a support bonus to Celica, and Kliff probably does too (I haven't put them together to see yet). If you are willing to train them up, both of them can make for good Cavaliers since Celica only gets one in the late game, and Faye could also be a Pegasus Knight which can be useful for those desert and swamp maps.

Unfortunately, this can't be done with Silque, Python, and Forsyth, at least from what I've heard, and of course, Alm doesn't get access to any of Celica's route until post-game.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Check out the roster for Super Smash Bros. Infinite. It's really good and not disappointing at all.
Just a reminder Nintendo has access to use Pokemon and Kirby characters if they want just like how Capcom has access to use X-Men and Fantastic Four characters if they want.
inb4 someone says they actually like this roster.
Has Robin and Wolf, I can dig it
Tell you what I would like at this stage, based on all this MvC talk.

A Smash reboot. I want absolute carnage - but I also want new life.

The main thing that I would do in this reboot: new movesets for all characters.

Then I'd focus on SP, maybe with some RPG elements.

Then I'd kill 8P Smash.

Then I dunno, I'd cut a couple of 'safe characters' so no one would know what's happening.

Then I'd bring back all 64 stages in HD.

And... I dunno what else. A reboot would be way more interesting than a port or sequel.
If they add a story mode they should get rid of the platforming parts. Just fights and cutscenes.

But would the story be?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I'm not sure if this has been posted about here, but there's a cool Easter Egg in FE Echoes.

If you leave Kliff and Faye behind with Alm, but head back to Ram Village with Celica before going to Zofia Castle, you can actually recruit Kliff and Faye with Celica. They even have special dialogue with Celica for their recruitment conversation.

It's obviously not practical to do this, as Alm needs them more and you would have to go out of your way to grind them up to par in the Thieves Shrine if they are to be at all useful for Celica. But it's a nice attention to detail nonetheless and could be fun to mess with on repeat playthroughs. I also know that Faye offers a support bonus to Celica, and Kliff probably does too (I haven't put them together to see yet). If you are willing to train them up, both of them can make for good Cavaliers since Celica only gets one in the late game, and Faye could also be a Pegasus Knight which can be useful for those desert and swamp maps.

Unfortunately, this can't be done with Silque, Python, and Forsyth, at least from what I've heard, and of course, Alm doesn't get access to any of Celica's route until post-game.
I've known about this for a while. In Gaiden you could actually do this with pretty much any of the characters in Chapter 1.

D

Deleted member

Holy ****ing **** the new Steven Universe episodes
I don't even know what to say I just need more, like, right now
Yep, the old 4chan, ESRB leak, Rayman fake leak, those were the good ol days.

I now also wondering if Ursula is going to lose her magic or not when she saved Akko from those pollen.
Probably not, seeing as her hair hasn't changed back to red
Unless the process is slow so we'll have to wait and see if it happens
Does Nuibaba even teleport? IIRC she's stationary.
I don't know, haven't gotten that far yet but she's still a Witch
**** Witches

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Anyone have a recap video of the plot of the Tekken series? All I know is that Heihachi threw his son into a erupting volcano.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
So we've all been waiting for a Pokemon game announcement for May right?...

Not what people were expecting I assume...

Burruni

Smash Hero
Do you guys think MvCI will reach the 2 million copies target? I mean, it still has big name characters like Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Hulk and especially Spider-Man to grab casual interest, so to them, the roster would still look good.
No.
UMvC hit like around 1.2m.
The Marvel Brand is far bigger now, without arguement.
But I feel like this roster, going 2v2, and other differences are gonna be significant enough for a fair chunk of the MvC community to not move on.
This, to me, feels like a blown up version of Brawl's competitive rift from Melee in the modern age.
Street Fighterr 5, with a LOT more hope and positive light, JUST hit 1.5 mil.
I feel like an arcade fighter is also not a casual-friendly genre to bank on that market.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
No.
UMvC hit like around 1.2m.
The Marvel Brand is far bigger now, without arguement.
But I feel like this roster, going 2v2, and other differences are gonna be significant enough for a fair chunk of the MvC community to not move on.
This, to me, feels like a blown up version of Brawl's competitive rift from Melee in the modern age.
Street Fighterr 5, with a LOT more hope and positive light, JUST hit 1.5 mil.
I feel like an arcade fighter is also not a casual-friendly genre to bank on that market.
MvC 3 hit 2 million though, and that didn't have a PC release

D

Deleted member

Screenshot_2017-05-31-10-52-47-1.png

Berkut: dude, I'm already married
Fernand: I don't mind three
Rinea: I don't mind it either
Berkut: you're not helping, Rinea
I believe she's an Arcanist, not a witch. And there are certain witch bosses that can't teleport.
Wiki lists her as a Witch in Echoes
Probably also because Arcanists are male only

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Depends if the DLC characters are appealing enough imo, Venom will sell better than sliced bread AND hot cakes.

Also, the best argument about Mahvel Eeenfehnut not being a reboot. Too much time has gone past since the announcement and gameplay trailers to announce this. That's the kind of thing you want to get out of the way immediately

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Depends if the DLC characters are appealing enough imo, Venom will sell better than sliced bread AND hot cakes.
They also have to consistently release the DLC characters which going by SFV won't happen.
People only have so much patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom