• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
The 'Xenoblade is bad' mindset came from the games fans and critics praising the game very very highly. In many reviews you see them compare it to other games like Final Fantasy and Tales, so on, and I guess that rubs people the wrong way. The fact that it was held as the savior of the JRPG genre from itself surely didn't help. Every reviewer made sure to point out that the game was a breath of fresh air compared to the linearity of current JRPG's.

The games are FAR from bad. Xenoblade X is a bit of a crawl to make progress do to it's length and scope but that in no way makes it bad. Can't speak for WKC, never played them.
Comparing Xenoblade to Tales is one of the bigger stretches I've heard of, LOL. I mean, that's not even the same kind of gameplay. Xenoblade runs on autopilot with some more specific moves triggered by the player and Tales has you jamming buttons constantly to attack. It's hard to think of RPGs more different from each other from the few I've played that wouldn't be comparing one of them to turn-based ones.

Like, the later Final Fantasy games might work as a comparison, not sure. They do seem like they might be similar judging by the gameplay I've watched. But Tales is. . .no man, no. They're comparing a dog to a dogfish. At least with Symphonia in mind, the common threads here are so unrelated to being RPGs you may as well compare them to games in entirely different genres.

I can definitely see how feathers would get ruffled comparing it to the biggest pedigree in RPGs no matter how it shaped up either way, though. It can't have helped that after XIII I can see a lot of people actively wanting a reason to put down Final Fantasy considering the reaction it got, and the fandom was probably already defensive by then anyway. That was probably the source of the linearity comments and it's a bit of a wasp nest that didn't really need kicking.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Question about the Genji skin which ****ing LIES. Apparently Genji will say "Unbreakable Body!" when getting boosted or something when wearing that skin. Is this true?
Will not break!

It broke.

since we're talking about obscure games, does anyone remember Jet Force Gemini for the N64?
Yo.

Guess JFG was kind of obscure for a Rare game, although their N64-era library as a whole is well-known. I feel like a lot of the spotlight got stolen by DK64 releasing later that month though.

That's in Rare Replay and got a sequel iirc
Rare Replay yes, sequel no, least not any I could find.

It got easter eggs in a whole pile of Rare titles from the time, though.

My favourite obscure games are Super Mario Bros, Metroid Prime, Ocarina of Time and Sonic Adventure 2

You may all block me now
I don't need to block you.
avi_presenting_paddle.png

I've still got the paddle.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Will not break!

It broke.

Yo.

Guess JFG was kind of obscure for a Rare game, although their N64-era library as a whole is well-known. I feel like a lot of the spotlight got stolen by DK64 releasing later that month though.

Rare Replay yes, sequel no, least not any I could find.

It got easter eggs in a whole pile of Rare titles from the time, though.

I don't need to block you.
View attachment 129794

I've still got the paddle.
Goddammit, they almost had an actual Sentai quote, which they still would have gotten wrong for multiple reasons, but no, still no actual Sentai reference in the skin other than the name. Someone at Blizzard must hate Rider fans

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
The same thing happened to my friend. He hacked his 3DS. I knew it was going to happen to him...

Edit: since we're talking about obscure games, does anyone remember Jet Force Gemini for the N64?
I just got banned. It's only a matter of time until someone reverses it.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Goddammit, they almost had an actual Sentai quote, which they still would have gotten wrong for multiple reasons, but no, still no actual Sentai reference in the skin other than the name. Someone at Blizzard must hate Rider fans
Oh, I don't know, I haven't fired up Overwatch.

Too much ESO and MK8D.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The Last Bastion is really annoying.

Not the Overwatch animation, the map I'm currently on in Shadows of Valentia. Really annoying Archer Box-like map. Strangely enough I think going in with a lower number of units actually makes this one easier, somehow. So far it's the only map where I can definitely say that.

Just this and one more fight until I've completed Act Four.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Friendly reminder that Guilty Gear Revelator 2 is out today. So if you have never played a game from the series before, now is the best time to fix that. ;)

Hockeyfan44

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shockwv478
I knew the voice, but didn't think it was true, but Pit voices Blue Beetle in Injustice 2. Also, Power Girl makes an obvious reference of Super Mario to Brainiac. The joys of easter eggs without the messy shells.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I knew the voice, but didn't think it was true, but Pit voices Blue Beetle in Injustice 2. Also, Power Girl makes an obvious reference of Super Mario to Brainiac. The joys of easter eggs without the messy shells.
What's the reference?

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
The Last Bastion is really annoying.

Not the Overwatch animation, the map I'm currently on in Shadows of Valentia. Really annoying Archer Box-like map. Strangely enough I think going in with a lower number of units actually makes this one easier, somehow. So far it's the only map where I can definitely say that.

Just this and one more fight until I've completed Act Four.
I just completed that map. I personally didn't mind it all. My strategy was to invite the first Bow Knight within a box with either Archer!Tobin or Python. Then, once either of them took out the first Bow Knight, I baited the Arcanist and the next Bow Knight using either Mathilda or Forsyth (mine actually has a bit of some resistance to the point mages aren't too bothersome for him) because they could withstand both enemies' attacks. I then killed the Arcanist with either Archer!Tobin or Python, and then I had Delthea kill the second Bow Knight thanks to the Mage Ring (very clutch for this map, especially on Delthea who hits incredibly hard). I then healed up Delthea, and I applied the same strategy to the other boxes including the boss. Once all the Bow Knights were dealt with, that's when my other units pushed forward.

Another tip I can give you is that enemy Cavalier's range extends to the supply box around the middle of the center box, so once I dealt with all the Bow Knights and Arcanists, I just used Warp on one of my tank units to stand on that supplies box so that the Cavalier could come toward him/her (I used Forsyth again in my case), and then that tanky unit finished him off easily. This left only the Barons, which were easy to defeat overall.

I don't know what difficulty you are playing it on, but this was my experience with the map on Normal Classic.

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I believed it was 100% real since the leak.

I just assumed some didn't (I may be wrong)
Anyone remember the Pokémon SM Final Starters Leak?

Its the same thing. People don't like what was leaked and are calling it fake.

But after all that's been leaked? You gotta just accept it. Its gonna be a thing and odds are it'll be garbage.

Or maybe it won't. Yoshi with a banana cannon can't be wrong.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Anyone remember the Pokémon SM Final Starters Leak?

Its the same thing. People don't like what was leaked and are calling it fake.

But after all that's been leaked? You gotta just accept it. Its gonna be a thing and odds are it'll be garbage.

Or maybe it won't. Yoshi with a banana cannon can't be wrong.
Don't forget Shulk being a photoshopped Little Mac because of Duck Hunt salt. :p

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Don't forget Shulk being a photoshopped Little Mac because of Duck Hunt salt. :p
1: that was moreso Pittoo salt
2: the artwork did line up together surpringly well
Aa punishment for this bad comparison I will curse this thread

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I saw people on twitter put on tinfoil hats saying it's all a fake conspiracy theory to make Rabbids relevant
I guess it worked?

I... What?

Well, okay if that's what it takes, then be right back, gonna create an Alex Kidd x Halo rumor to make Alex relevant again.
Forgot about that.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
So I finished Shadows of Valentia last night.
I think I have a new favourite final map theme.

I really enjoyed the game. I always had a soft spot for Gaiden, so seeing how much love for the game went into the remake was great. I think it could have benefited from things like getting rid of the duplicate maps, and making Celica's desert and swamp maps a little more bearable, but those aside it was still good. The game was pretty easy overall, but Gaiden is not exactly renowned for its difficulty anyway... plus, Dread Fighter Tobin with his 90%+ crit rate is a blessing, and Alm is a beast too.

These were my characters who got the most kills, just to give you an idea of who I found useful:
* Alm: fought 299, won 189
* Tobin (Dread Fighter): fought 262, won 168
* Leon: fought 275, won 127 (I was expecting this to be way higher, considering I just used him to deal with all the desert maps)
* Gray (Archer): fought 298, won 120
* Celica: fought 194, won 113
* Kliff (Mage): fought 179, won 94
* Mae: fought 151, won 78
* Catria: fought 121, won 76

The main thing this tells me is just how much bulk everything has in this game, that the number of battles fought is over double the number of kills in several cases. Most enemies aren't that hard to deal with, really. They're just slow to go down, but rarely pose much of a real threat.

Into the post-game dungeon now...
This place has bloody Villagers with like 85 HP. ...Why? They're not even that threatening, they just take some time to die. Even two-crit Tobin has trouble dealing with them quickly.

The first five floors are actually pretty tame. It's once you hit the sixth floor that it starts throwing 85 HP Villagers and archers who can still kill despite being equipped with rusted bows at you. I haven't reached the end yet, but I think I can see where this is going, with its "army of the dead" stuff.
:4robinf:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I still think the game should've had Toads instead of Rabbids, because Rabbids are ****ing stupid.

The thing stupider are minions.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I still think the game should've had Toads instead of Rabbids, because Rabbids are ****ing stupid.

The thing stupider are minions.
Not really into Toads now thanks to the recent RPGs are over killing it with them (doesn't help that they're super generic Toads).

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
"Let's list all the things wrong with this image"

1. Wait, he had a fling with Bunnie too? I thought he was dating the chipmunk. . .maybe the mongoose for a little bit. . .and that one time he was with that fox Tails wanted before she bailed to be with his evil twin from an antiverse
2. Right, because being covered in green liquid is definitely the appropriate time for this
3. Artstyle!
4. Sanic stop eating her face

Last edited:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Not looking at the mouth.

Nope.

"Let's list all the things wrong with this image"

1. Wait, he had a fling with Bunnie too? I thought he was dating the chipmunk. . .maybe the mongoose for a little bit. . .and that one time he was with that fox Tails wanted before she bailed to be with his evil twin from an antiverse
2. Right, because being covered in green liquid is definitely the appropriate time for this
3. Artstyle!
4. Sanic stop eating her face
1. I assumed Sonic has kissed nearly every relevant female character at least once, and a number of the irrelevant ones.
2. If he plays his cards right it might not be the only liquid he ends the night covered in.
3. Style, yes. Art, debatable.
4. It's delicious.

Last edited:

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
So I got to the part in DiU where

Kira murders Shigechi

God damn Onion-cutting ghosts happened to attack right at that time.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Not looking at the mouth.

Nope.

1. I assumed Sonic has kissed nearly every relevant female character at least once, and a number of the irrelevant ones.
2. If he plays his cards right it might not be the only liquid he ends the night covered in.
3. Style, yes. Art, debatable.
4. It's delicious.
I think I take the opposite approach to the observations on 3. Technically speaking, anything can be art. You can drop a pair of glasses or a watermelon in an art display as a joke and people will treat it as an exhibit. Actually being stylish, on the other hand. . .

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So I just completely cheesed the climactic final battle of Act 4.

I had Silque warp Alm right in front of Rudolf. Double Lion then lands a Critical Hit. Emperor Rudolf gets one shotted.

That being said...
How was the fact that Alm is Rudolf's son not spoiled for me? I feel like that should have been the first thing I was spoiled on.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
So I've been working on an rpg again(like I always do) and it has a class system where at one point the party members choose 1 of 7 classes that they are locked into. Each class promotes twice with 3 promotion choices at first promotion and 2 choices for final leading to 100 different party combinations with secondary/tertiary promotion choices straying a bit from the original class abilities. When they promote their stats dip a bit and they lose their previously learned abilities.

1a. Centurion: Sword

1aa. Dragon Warrior: Sword

1ab. Blade Saint: Sword, Light Magic

1b. Gladiator: Axe

1ba. Champion: Axe, Hammer

1bb. Goldmancer: Hammer

1c. Slayer: Sword

1ca. Dark Lord: Sword, Dark Magic

1cb. Beast King(Queen): Claw
4a. Knight: Spear, Shield

4aa. Paladin: Spear, Shield

4ab. Defender: Axe, Sheild

4b. Mason: Hammer, Shield

4ba. Hero: Hammer, Shield

4bb. Dino Knight: Sword, Shield

4c. Hopper: Spear

4ca. Cyclone : Spear

4cb. Astrologer: Spear
5a. Arcanist: Staff

5aa. Sage: Staff

5ab. Elementalist:

5b. Witch(Warlock)

5ba. Shaman

5bb. Auger: Dark Magic

5c. Blood Mage

5ca. Revenant

5cb. Heretic
6a. Stewart

6aa. Oracle

6ab. Prince(ss)

6b. Guardian

6ba. Cardinal: Light Magic

6bb. Spiritmaster

6c. Chemist

6ca. Scholar

6cb. Geomancer
7a. Pugilist

7aa. Dark Fist

7ab. Illusionist

7b. Zen Fighter

7ba. Karate King(Queen)

7bb. Superhero

7c. Musician

7ca. Performer

7cb. Conjurer
3a. Bandit: Knife

3aa. Brigand: Knife, Sword

3ab. Spellblade: Sword and Magic

3b. Dancer: Knife

3ba. Assassin: Knife

3bb. Juggler: Bomb

3c. Trickster : Card

3ca. Gambler: Card

3cb. Seamstress : Knife
2a. Sniper: Bow

2aa. Marksman(woman): Bow

2ab. Bomber: Bomb

2b. Gunner: Rifle

2ba. Rifleman(woman): Rifle

2bb. Space Ace: Beam Gun

2c. Outlander: Bow

2ca. Wanderer: Gun

2cb. Cowboy (Cowgirl): Gun
It's a work in progress, I give some bits of info on some but some are likely to change especially if someone has a better idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom