• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Another friendly reminder.

When Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, two of the biggest name RPG franchises, crossed over with Mario, they got sports and Monopoly respectively. Essentially, party games.

Rabbids, a franchise most known for taking over Rayman with party games, cross over with Mario in an RPG.

Seriously, the darkest timeline.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So Rabbids and Mario is real? Not surprised. Not really impressed by the stuff that's been released. Hopefully something is shown that peeks my interest though I'm not really excited for it as of yet.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Another friendly reminder.

When Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, two of the biggest name RPG franchises, crossed over with Mario, they got sports and Monopoly respectively. Essentially, party games.

Rabbids, a franchise most known for taking over Rayman with party games, cross over with Mario in an RPG.

Seriously, the darkest timeline.
yes we understand you dont like the fact of a Mario x Rabbids spinoff
So Rabbids and Mario is real? Not surprised. Not really impressed by the stuff that's been released. Hopefully something is shown that peeks my interest though I'm not really excited for it as of yet.
I kinda wanna see the gameply for this game. The "Self-Mockery" part has me intrested

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
yes we understand you do like the fact of a Mariox Rabbids spinoff
I'm just joking around, I'm actually pretty indifferent to it. As long as they keep Rosalina out of it, the worst it could be is shovelware meant for kids (adults sure as hell aren't the target audience which means I'm not either).

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I kinda wanna see the gameply for this game. The "Self-Mockery" part has me intrested
All I need is for them to show Rayman in the game and I'm immediately sold on the game. Sadly, very sadly, I don't feel like that's gonna happen and that really really sucks.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
All I need is for them to show Rayman in the game and I'm immediately sold on the game. Sadly, very sadly, I don't feel like that's gonna happen and that really really sucks.
I have a feeling he won't be playable, but he needs a cameo either way.

I wouldn't mind seeing E. Gadd as the creator of the various gadgets. Maybe a Rabbid counterpart as well?

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Why have minions when we already have a better crossover?

I mean, it's just for kids, we aren't in the target audience for it. :4megaman:

Also how about them Hello Kitty plushies in Sonic cosplay? Remember those?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I mean, it's just for kids, we aren't in the target audience for it. :4megaman:

Also how about them Hello Kitty plushies in Sonic cosplay? Remember those?
The difference there is that Hello Kitty is just a generic cute mascot who's sole purpose is to be plastered onto merchandise. It's largely a fashion brand. It's no different than the Sonic X Drop Dead fashion line that happened last year as well. Neither of these things have much identity and can be incorporated with anything.

Rabbids have always had this self-proclaimed "how do you do, fellow kids", lolsorandom humour. That's their identity. Mario on the other hand, as far as main series goes (that's what this game seems to be drawing inspiration from), has always been one of the tamest, most homegenised franchises in terms of general tone.

Not that I want it to happen, but a Sonic X Rabbids game would probably make more immediate sense to me given the tone and writing style of the most recent Sonic games.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
The DK Rabbid does give me some hope that there are more playable characters. Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, and Rabbid counterparts is a pretty lame selection of characters.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
It's amazing for the evolution of Mario RPG's

1) Made by Square Enix
2) In a world made of paper
3) Luigi tags along (and others)
4) Team up with screaming bunny-like creatures

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
The difference there is that Hello Kitty is just a generic cute mascot who's sole purpose is to be plastered onto merchandise. It's largely a fashion brand. It's no different than the Sonic X Drop Dead fashion line that happened last year as well. Neither of these things have much identity and can be incorporated with anything.

Rabbids have always had this self-proclaimed "how do you do, fellow kids", lolsorandom humour. That's their identity. Mario on the other hand, as far as main series goes (that's what this game seems to be drawing inspiration from), has always been one of the tamest, most homegenised franchises in terms of general tone.

Not that I want it to happen, but a Sonic X Rabbids game would probably make more immediate sense to me given the tone and writing style of the most recent Sonic games.
Maybe it's tame compared to the standards most family-safe stuff is, but any franchise that can spawn Wario as a character isn't completely innocent, LOL. Mario has that same "can be incorporated with anything" identity that Sonic and Hello Kitty do, what with the party games you mentioned and etc. If anything I'd say Mario has less of an identity than either of them.

They just decided to go ahead and try the "anything."

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Man am I glad I made Faye a cleric. Warp+Rescue shenanigans with her and Silque are nifty.

Almost makes up for the Warp range Nerf. Almost.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Well that was surprising....

The rabbids is looking pretty interesting though so hopefully gameplay is good. It could actually be pretty fun.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Ok, so about that confirmation about the Mario and Rabbids game... did anyone really ask for this game? I certainly didn't.

Why didn't they do Mario and Rayman instead? That would of worked so well due to how wacky and goofy their universes are. Unless Rayman makes a cameo or actually becomes a playable character in this game, then I'm afraid we may not see him at all...

The only way I might have interest in this game is if it's a classic RPG in a similar vein to the Mario and Luigi series of RPG's. But I am not so sure about that, especially when we have to have to pair up with a group of insane rabbits that may never stop screaming in the game itself... just why again? If we're lucky enough, maybe they'll be an option to turn off the Rabbids screams. >_<

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Maybe it's tame compared to the standards most family-safe stuff is, but any franchise that can spawn Wario as a character isn't completely innocent, LOL. Mario has that same "can be incorporated with anything" identity that Sonic and Hello Kitty do, what with the party games you mentioned and etc. If anything I'd say Mario has less of an identity than either of them.

They just decided to go ahead and try the "anything."
Wario isn't really part of the main Mario games for that very reason though. They made him his own thing for a reason. He's also really not that weird or outlandish when compared to non-Mario properties that are tongue-in-cheek.

And no, Mario can't be incorporated into anything. His identity is that of family friendly fun that's accessible to all, as far as the core Mario brand goes. Meaning overly kiddy humour and over the top adult themes are kept out most of the time. Rabbids are the former so that's why people find it jarring. Hell, it's the very reason Rosalina is a controversial subject.

Sonic also cannot be incorporated into anything, it's why there's always an outcry when SEGA messes up how the characters are portrayed and it's why Shadow the Hedgehog is mocked for it's edginess.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Ok, so about that confirmation about the Mario and Rabbids game... did anyone really ask for this game? I certainly didn't.

Why didn't they do Mario and Rayman instead? That would of worked so well due to how wacky and goofy their universes are. Unless Rayman makes a cameo or actually becomes a playable character in this game, then I'm afraid we may not see him at all...

The only way I might have interest in this game is if it's a classic RPG in a similar vein to the Mario and Luigi series of RPG's. But I am not so sure about that, especially when we have to have to pair up with a group of insane rabbits that may never stop screaming in the game itself... just why again? If we're lucky enough, maybe they'll be an option to turn off the Rabbids screams. >_<
We dont even know if its good or bad yet. At least give it a chance with some gameplay before you act like its the worst thing ever. For all we know, the game could be fun

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
We dont even know if ita good or bad yet. Give it a chance before you act like its the worst thing ever
Honestly, I'm not completely confident in its chances at this time. Even when you have Grant Kirkhope directing the music and of course Mario as a series being present, I know how infamous the Rabbids are.
It may prove difficult for me to give it a chance unless I see gameplay that looks promising and completely lacks tons of screaming.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC

Honestly, I'm not completely confident in its chances at this time. Even when you have Grant Kirkhope directing the music and of course Mario as a series being present, I know how infamous the Rabbids are.
It may prove difficult for me to give it a chance unless I see gameplay that looks promising.
thats why I said give it a chance with some gameplay. We dont know for sure how its gonna be.

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Jesus 4chan is cancerous.

I want to post this fonv thread I visited but its so vile I won't even dare.

Seriously, what the **** is wrong with those guys? They are bat **** crazy.

Chrono.

Going by the info slides that leaked for the game, I'm not impressed. Not really fussed about it either though, but with so many good RPGs that have been coming out lately... Yeah.

I'll keep an eye on it either way.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
thats why I said give it a chance with some gameplay. We dont know for sure how its gonna be.
I suppose I'm overreacting a little bit; I'll at least watch gameplay and then make my final judgments as any normal video game fan should do.

However, the first impression in my eyes about simply feeling somewhat concerned with the game will remain for me.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Wario isn't really part of the main Mario games for that very reason though. They made him his own thing for a reason. He's also really not that weird or outlandish when compared to non-Mario properties that are tongue-in-cheek.

And no, Mario can't be incorporated into anything. His identity is that of family friendly fun that's accessible to all, as far as the core Mario brand goes. Meaning overly kiddy humour and over the top adult themes are kept out most of the time. Rabbids are the former so that's why people find it jarring. Hell, it's the very reason Rosalina is a controversial subject.

Sonic also cannot be incorporated into anything, it's why there's always an outcry when SEGA messes up how the characters are portrayed and it's why Shadow the Hedgehog is mocked for it's edginess.
I'm just saying there's reasons why I'm not really surprised.

(NSFW warning on the middle link. Family friendly fun accessible to all 'n stuff.)

It was only a matter of time before it bubbled over into an actual crossover. Er, considering the Olympics, "Yet again" might be the more proper term.

Mario's image isn't really sacred. Like, at all. Regardless of what anyone thinks he should be in, Nintendo is pretty happy to just lend his hat out to anyone who asks for like, years now.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't really have too much issue with the existence of the game so far. Like I said, I'm simply not it's target demographic. I just find it yet another example of how tone deaf Nintendo can be. They've rejected so many more tasteful crossover ideas for Mario on the grounds it was a bad representation of the brand's identity and this was the one that caught on as warranting a proper adventure game? Especially with THAT marketing campaign?

Like if this was a Mario x Rabbids party game, I'd barely bat an eye at this. But this is a full on RPG adventure that will most likely have some degree of story and character utilisation and really, Rabbids is the worst crossover they could have picked for that, especially since it will likely downplay the extended Mario cast if they show up.

I'm just saying there's reasons why I'm not really surprised.

(NSFW warning on the middle link. Family friendly fun accessible to all 'n stuff.)

It was only a matter of time before it bubbled over into an actual crossover. Er, considering the Olympics, "Yet again" might be the more proper term.

Mario's image isn't really sacred. Like, at all. Regardless of what anyone thinks he should be in, Nintendo is pretty happy to just lend his hat out to anyone who asks for like, years now.
Literally all of the examples you posted are just characters from other games dressing up as Mario characters, but they don't feature the characters themselves. They're just easter eggs, not full-on crossover productions.

And that last statement is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. Everyone knows Nintendo is crazy protective of their IPs, they don't hand them out for no reason.

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
Atrocitus(I guess he's a red lanturn but that's all I know), Black Adam, Blue Beetle, Brainiac, Cheetah, Darkseid, Doctor Fate, Firestorm, Gorilla Grodd, Swamp Thing, Grid, Vixen, Reverse Flash(I assume he's a Flash villain) and Power Girl.
I'll try to explain them to the best of my ability.

You are right about Atrocitus being a Red Lantern, though he's not just A Red Lantern, he's the leader of the Red Lanterns. He's an anti-hero whose methods happen to bring him up against the Green Lanterns regularly (His entire sector was wiped out by something that was essentially the fault of the Green Lantern's bosses, the Guardians of the Universe, so he wants to kill all of them).

Cheetah is a Wonder Woman villain, her arch-nemesis (When it's not Ares) to be exact. there's been more than one but the one in the game is Barbara Minerva, who, IIRC was a treasure hunter who went through a blood magic ritual that transformed her into a cheetah woman.

Doctor Fate is a Wizard, an agent for a powerful group called the Lords Of Order. The helmet, cloak, and amulet are all magical artifacts he uses to help fight crime, the helmet containing the spirit of Nabu, the Lord Of Order that created it, though while Fate does use the artifacts, how much free will he has seems to vary from writer to writer. Sometimes he's in full control, sometimes he's like a puppet, etc.

Firestorm is what happens when two people get caught in a nuclear accident, fusing them together to become one being just called "Firestorm". Firestorm's main ability is to alter any inorganic material, but what's holding them back from essentially being godlike is that, at least with the case of the first pair, Ronnie Raymond (A high school Jock) and Martin Stein (A brilliant scientist), is that Ronnie Raymond is, well, an idiot. Though the pair in-game replaces Raymond with the more recent Jason Rusch, who's considerably smarter.

Grodd is one of Flash's villains, a sentient gorilla with mind powers, he's from a city of sentient gorillas called Gorilla City, which (obviously) is a city of sentient Gorillas. Grodd hates humans with a fiery passion, and often attempts to wipe them out, but The Flash keeps getting in the way of that.

Black Adam was originally Captain Marvel/Shazam's Arch-nemesis, though modern depictions have him as a more a Lawful Neutral/Lawful Evil anti-villain. anyways, Adam was chosen by the Wizard Shazam to be his successor, and depending on the version, The power either got to Adam's head (Old version) and the Wizard banished him, or The Wizard perceived Adam forcefully overthrowing the government of his land and installing himself as ruler as Adam being corrupted by a demon. Either way, Adam ends up imprisoned/banished until the modern Era, where he fights Captain Marvel, however, in the Modern Era, Black Adam goes on to join several teams, one of which being the Justice Society.

Jaime Reyes is the third person to take up the mantle of Blue Beetle. It all started when Jaime found the scarab that the first Blue Beetle possessed, which was thought to be a magic artifact, but was really just a piece of technology created by a race called The Reach, who sought to have it possess Jaime, but it gradually developed its own will and independence with Jaime's help.

Swamp Thing is a complicated one so I very well may get details wrong: He was originally a scientist named Alec Holland, who had developed a restorative formula for plant life, but was attacked and killed by someone who wanted the formula with a bomb, Holland ran into the swamp, covered in burning chemicals from the fire, and falls into the swamp, mutating into a strange, monstrous creature that comes to be known as the Swamp Thing. Though it was later retconned that Swamp Thing was a plant elemental already that had somehow absorbed Holland's memories and personality upon his death.

Grid, from what I understand, is the Crime Syndicate (Earth-3's evil Justice League)'s Cyborg, a sentient computer virus that wants to be human more than anything.

Vixen is a woman from Africa who inherited a magic totem that gives the wearer powers of various animals (Cheetah's speed, Hawk's flight, Ant's strength, etc), that was passed down from generation to generation in her family line.

Reverse-Flash is the top contender for Flash's arch-rival: The Reverse-Flash is the man responsible for the murder of Barry's mother, the catalyst that ultimately lead for Barry to become the hero that he is nowadays, attempted to murder his wife, and ultimately forced Flash to kill him to save his new Fiance. But upon being resurrected, he got worse: Reverse-Flash murdered his brother (Who he thought was holding him back), his parents (Due to them not supporting his Speed Force obsession), a professional rival, and every man a girl he was interested in ever dated. During Flashpoint (The crossover that caused the New 52 which is evil enough IMO) he alters the time stream further, to make Barry miserable.

Power Girl, from what I know, is an alternate-universe Supergirl. From what I understand, she's a businesswoman, and the leader of her world's Justice Society

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I don't really have too much issue with the existence of the game so far. Like I said, I'm simply not it's target demographic. I just find it yet another example of how tone deaf Nintendo can be. They've rejected so many more tasteful crossover ideas for Mario on the grounds it was a bad representation of the brand's identity and this was the one that caught on as warranting a proper adventure game? Especially with THAT marketing campaign?

Like if this was a Mario x Rabbids party game, I'd barely bat an eye at this. But this is a full on RPG adventure that will most likely have some degree of story and character utilisation and really, Rabbids is the worst crossover they could have picked for that, especially since it will likely downplay the extended Mario cast if they show up.

Literally all of the examples you posted are just characters from other games dressing up as Mario characters, but they don't feature the characters themselves. They're just easter eggs, not full-on crossover productions.

And that last statement is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. Everyone knows Nintendo is crazy protective of their IPs, they don't hand them out for no reason.
Well, apologies for the hyperbole. Any major video game company who asks and has the cash to back it up. I'm aware there's a ton of internet tension over them not letting literally ANYONE have their IPs. Really, it's not even new, it's just ramped up really hard this gen. Nintendo's let crossovers that don't make any darn sense happen for a long time.

Nintendo accepting this game comes off as a sign to me that they're revamping how their company works. Part of that is handing off IPs to other companies when they wouldn't be OK with that in the past. Considering I think licensing is part of their stated project to have more avenues for cash, that probably shows a sign of it as well. Things like costume loaning and project like Hyrule Warriors and #FE were decent attempts to dip their toes in the water. Since people keep hammering them about how few games they release, this just seems like the obvious cannonball to follow. Have they rejected any of those crossovers super recently?

Mario's crossover with Sonic is at the OLYMPICS. Mario carrying Bowser in a beautiful ice skating display. Luigi and his beautiful ribbon twirling. The bar for maintaining dignity is not high, especially when you factor in what most of the internet thinks of Sonic.

It doesn't cost Nintendo very many resources for it to happen and the Mario IP will maintain it's integrity in the eyes of the general public whether it happens or not. The only thing this crossover is harming is the brain cells of members of the core gaming community, and that's mostly self-inflicted.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I dunno what's going on or if this has been mentioned but one of those pieces of art spells the word personalities wrong.

Also I can't see Ninty signing off on calling Peach a badass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom