• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Thinking Camilla is worse than Faye? Fine, that's debatable but there's no ****ing way Faye is a better written character than Celica.
I haven't played the game yet but the only way for that to happen is if Celica has literally one character trait that negatively affects her relationships.

Celica is extremely bland and boring up until the end of Act 2 where she completely turns into a bratty five year old for the sake of forcing some soap opera drama where she completely pisses all over everything Alm has been working for and condemns him for fighting for the Deliverance and marching on Rigelia, flat out lies to him and crushes his hopes by telling him that the Zofian heir he's hoping to find to take the Zofian throne doesn't exist (Celica herself is the heir and she knows it - I understand she can't tell him that but she didn't need to be so mean spirited, she could have just wished him good luck and acted none the wiser), and acts all high and mighty over how her path is so much more righteous and important even though she was the one who took a detour from her quest to see Alm, while Alm had been dead focused on his mission while still retaining good relationships with his friends. It all ends with this gem of a quote from Celica, truly becoming of a holy priestess/heir to a throne with an important and mature mission.

Alm barely gets a word in during this entire conversation and when he does, he's notably conflicted and aware that what he's doing may not be the best move, but ultimately feels marching on the Rigelian Empire is better than waiting for them to inevitably march back into Zofia again (which of course they were going to do as we see from some cutscenes), and to be fair he was kind of thrust into the leadership role of the Deliverance due to his connection to Sir Mycen. Celica doesn't listen to a word he says though and just constantly shouts at him. I don't care if this is just Celica being worried about Alm being killed on the battlefield, the way she acts here is petty and childish, and they could have achieved them going their separate ways in a much more graceful and reasonable fashion. It doesn't help that Celica has been absolutely wet for Alm the entirety of Act 2 whenever she thinks about him or hears about him, and yet this is how she treats him when she meets him.

To add insult to injury, right after all of this happens, Celica receives a warning from the Masked Man that the short route up the mountain to the Temple of Zofia has Rigelian soldiers already occupying it and the mountain is unstable to boot. She's told she should go around the mountain to the West, because although it will take longer, it's much safer. However, Celica refuses to go that way. Why? Not because she's pressed for time and wants to get to the Temple quicker - the main reason she ignores the Masked Man's warning is because she's afraid of running into Alm and having to face him since he's marching westward too. And of course, this results in Rigelians springing a trap that blows up the mountain as they are climbing it, and Celica and all of her companions are almost killed in the process. After this point, I've noticed that a lot of her dialogue, specifically when examining things in towns and what not, is very snobby and condescending.

I really, really wanted to like Celica because I love her design, she's a fun, effective unit, and her voice actress is great, and she's cute at the beginning when she's a kid. But I'm sorry, she's just such a brat, there's no other way to put it.

And this isn't like Faye who, regardless of what you think of her, you can at least avoid the vast majority of interactions with her. Hell, recruiting her is entirely optional. Celica is one of the main characters and the scene above is a pivotal, key scene in the main story and she's not likable at all in the slightest.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
seriously can't believe this. there better be an elephant mount in the next metroid game or I'll make an angry youtube video about it

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I never thought I would see that man Samba De Amigo fans. So ultimately, Amigo was seen as the superior choice compared to BD Joe and the ChuChus (who could easily be like Olimar). Funny how most of Sonic's crossover fiends are winners right now (Amigo, NiGHTS, Ulala, Beat, and Joe Musashi). Poor Gilius though, lost to a female barbarian.

Now begins the time when Sega fell from grace from their console days and moved on to going third party for their future projects. These were the first few games that they've made since the step into the 3rd party scene with one being a modern arcade game before getting a port. Your choices are AiAi from Super Monkey Ball, Billy Hatcher from Billy Hatcher & The Giant Egg, Hotsuma from the PlayStation 2 Shinobi reboot, and Latisha from Toejam & Earl III: Mission to Earth.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

I just love my friend's Geese ****posts.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
On late Chapter 4 now.

Celica's maps are trash and full of Swamps.

On Alm's side they're not too bad but Nuibaba's map is **** but that's easily dealt with when you bait most of the lackeys out, use Mounted units and Warp in the slower but stronger units.

Oh hi Cam- I mean Zeke.

Also:
tfw you get a Zweihänder

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Question

How does the revival fountain in Shrines work in Echoes?

Do they keep the stats of the characters when they are revived, and the level they were on when they died, as well as any built up supports? Is there any penalty for using them?

Leon bit it at the very end of the Temple of Mila map and I unfortunately wasted the Turnwheel a bit (made two or three silly input mistakes). He's one of my favourite units and he was on Level 19 as an Archer so if he keeps those stats, I'll just finish the map and revive him because this map has been tedious (somehow managed to survive this long despite getting a lot of bad RNG.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That's where I am with Faye. Her design is great and her voice is kind of cute, but my god. At first I didn't mind her too much. Then her supports with Silque made her worse. And then the **** she pulled in Act Three made me loathe her and reconsider my zero-death policy...so I looped her death/revival using Mila's Turnwheel for a bit on the next map. Oddly cathartic.
Sooo, an inffinite death loop?

Ah, so your stand is Gold Experience Requim. :p

There is a class in Echoes called "Elephant" and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with an elephant at all

I am extremely disappointed you don't ride a war elephant like the statues in the back

If you wanna make an elephant class, make them riding the elephant
They couldn't afford actual elephants, so they're pretending their horses are elephants.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Scales of Metal from no Metal to Metal af.

0-Current Linkin Park
1-Mildly Metal
2-Pretty Metal
3-Metal
4-Savage
5-Brutal
6-Trve Brütal
666-Opossum
I mean, Linkin part was never metal in the first place.

Yelling does not equate to metal.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I mean, Linkin part was never metal in the first place.

Yelling does not equate to metal.
Nu-Metal is a subgenre of Heavy Metal....

I know a lot of hard metal heads don't want to admit it, but it still is...

D

Deleted member

Nu-Metal is a subgenre of Heavy Metal....

I know a lot of hard metal heads don't want to admit it, but it still is...
Nu-Metal gives me a limp bizkit is all, so admittedly I am a bit biased in that regard.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I cut down my kart game racers to 75. 25 for each weight class.

I don't think I could condense the racer roster anymore. lol

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Nu-Metal gives me a limp bizkit is all, so admittedly I am a bit biased in that regard.
I find 'Nu-Metal' to be a **** term to begin with...I'd just rather call it 'Alternative Metal' which is a much broader term for that kind of music anyways...

It also best describes most of the music I listen to in a much easier way anyways...

D

Deleted member

Wow, Echoes sure is progressive, they finally added more gender options
Screenshot_2017-05-22-12-38-50-1.png

I need memes to keep me sane from not having it yet
Tom Holland aka Spider-Man is Nathan Drake in the Uncharted movie
**** man, I can't keep up with this covoluted MCU anymore

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I'm a bit confused about the details on the ARMS Global Testpunch: The official Japanese Twitter says it'll only have 7 characters but the US eShop description it'll have all 10 characters.

Which is it?

Ivander

Smash Legend
Alright, I agree with what you said but Jakob is nowhere near the level of Tharja or Camilla
Jakob isn't obsessed with Corrin like they are, he's obsessed with his duty as her/his retainer because that's all he has ever done in his life and it never affects his relationships with others, he never denies anyone's love or friendship because of Corrin. And yeah, he can be a jerk sometimes, but that's how he is and it's in no way related to Corrin, he just isn't taking anyone's ****

Like I said, to an extent. And even then, there's a reason this exists.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So I unlocked Silque and Faye's A-Support.

WVW69kV3gzgmr8ndpK.jpg

WVW69kV3g_8ks7G8Th.jpg

She then apologises for being so rude and says that she's still not one for gossip, but would like to talk about Silque herself and get to know her better. No mention of Alm either.

So basically she had a bit of a superiority complex and thought she didn't need Silque's company and sort of used Alm as a cover-up for that, and then got over it after realising she missed Silque's company. Silque's mentioning of wanting to gossip also genuinely put Faye off because she really isn't into that.

Well, I think Celica could learn a thing or two from this.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The biggest problem I have with Faye is how her only personality trait was done SO many times before and SO much better. Sheeda, that noble in Shadow Dragon with Camus iirc, Clair, Gray, I believe Lilana, Sain, Raven and Lucius, Tethys and Gerik, Matthew, Camilla, Cordelia, Tharja, Oboro, Sumia and a bunch of others I'm unaware about. All these characters had 'is in love with X' other than Camilla and the FE7 gay couple and Matthew, yet they all have something in common. They have MORE than just that. Hell, Matthew has the worst case of all that. And even then Faye has the ****ing NERVE to ditch all her other childhood friends because Alm isn't going to get it on with her. Celica isn't perfect either, but she's still brimming with personality which the story shows, which examing shows and which supports show, that last one especially is important as Celica's very supportive of her friends despite her arguing with Alm

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
So I unlocked Silque and Faye's A-Support.

View attachment 129505
View attachment 129506

She then apologises for being so rude and says that she's still not one for gossip, but would like to talk about Silque herself and get to know her better. No mention of Alm either.

So basically she had a bit of a superiority complex and thought she didn't need Silque's company and sort of used Alm as a cover-up for that, and then got over it after realising she missed Silque's company. Silque's mentioning of wanting to gossip also genuinely put Faye off because she really isn't into that.

Well, I think Celica could learn a thing or two from this.
oh look she only got 1% good out of the 99% other bad moments

Speaking of FE SoV supports, I plan on finally getting to it today after hopefully getting ARM9/bootstrap.

one quick question I know the answer to exists but I dont feel like searching for when I have homework to do.

Supports are like FE6/7 in stats, but are like Awakening and Fates in that you arent limited to only 5 right? Just like one or the other?

I want to know if im going to have to stop myself from looking at supports or not.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I'm a bit confused about the details on the ARMS Global Testpunch: The official Japanese Twitter says it'll only have 7 characters but the US eShop description it'll have all 10 characters.

Which is it?
It better have all 10. I want to be able to try them all over the span of the test punch.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
My girlfriends favorite character is Jakob so I am obligated to hate him
she has good taste. Hes my fav character also
Speaking of FE SoV supports, I plan on finally getting to it today after hopefully getting ARM9/bootstrap.

one quick question I know the answer to exists but I dont feel like searching for when I have homework to do.

Supports are like FE6/7 in stats, but are like Awakening and Fates in that you arent limited to only 5 right? Just like one or the other?

I want to know if im going to have to stop myself from looking at supports or not.
some can only happen during certain chapters. I think its on Serenes Forest. but you can have them all

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

You can max all supports except for characters who support Deen or Sonya as you can only have one of em

D

Deleted member

The biggest problem I have with Faye is how her only personality trait was done SO many times before and SO much better. Sheeda, that noble in Shadow Dragon with Camus iirc, Clair, Gray, I believe Lilana, Sain, Raven and Lucius, Tethys and Gerik, Matthew, Camilla, Cordelia, Tharja, Oboro, Sumia and a bunch of others I'm unaware about. All these characters had 'is in love with X' other than Camilla and the FE7 gay couple and Matthew, yet they all have something in common. They have MORE than just that. Hell, Matthew has the worst case of all that. And even then Faye has the ****ing NERVE to ditch all her other childhood friends because Alm isn't going to get it on with her. Celica isn't perfect either, but she's still brimming with personality which the story shows, which examing shows and which supports show, that last one especially is important as Celica's very supportive of her friends despite her arguing with Alm
Almost none of those characters fit her achetype
What she is is just like Tharja and Camilla: a character who constantly stalks their crush with creepy behavior, cannot do anything other than that anyd thus hurts their relationship with others, sometimes even physically. So basically a Yandere.

Most of what you listed don't fit even near those three and you're even lumping Love Triangles(Gray, Tobin, Clair and Sain, Kent, Lyn), One-Sided Crushs(Cordelia), Crushs with Marriage Potential(Oboro and Sumia) and Stable Relationships(MatthewXLila and RavenXLucius) all together.
Her having a crush on Alm isn't the problem. Her crush on Alm being everything about her is the problem.

Nah, they aren't as broken as GBA(unless you keep stacking them up but you'll only get to max them out on Ch.4) but they're unlimited
Not that it matters much when most characters have 1-2 supports with the exception of Celica. There are also natural supports that don't require ranks but don't have any convos.
Celica and Alm being the best example, though you won't see it for 4/5 of the game

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Almost none of those characters fit her achetype
What she is is just like Tharja and Camilla: a character who constantly stalks their crush with creepy behavior, cannot do anything other than that anyd thus hurts their relationship with others, sometimes even physically. So basically a Yandere.

Most of what you listed don't fit even near those three and you're even lumping Love Triangles(Gray, Tobin, Clair and Sain, Kent, Lyn), One-Sided Crushs(Cordelia), Crushs with Marriage Potential(Oboro and Sumia) and Stable Relationships(MatthewXLila and RavenXLucius) all together.
Her having a crush on Alm isn't the problem. Her crush on Alm being everything about her is the problem.

Nah, they aren't as broken as GBA(unless you keep stacking them up but you'll only get to max them out on Ch.4) but they're unlimited
Not that it matters much when most characters have 1-2 supports with the exception of Celica. There are also natural supports that don't require ranks but don't have any convos.
Celica and Alm being the best example, though you won't see it for 4/5 of the game

My point was that all those characters were in love with a different character yet they had much more than just 'omg i liek u i wanna suk ur peepee'. Hell, Camilla outright felt more like some kind of overly protective mother than a stalker, attire aside

D

Deleted member

My point was that all those characters were in love with a different character yet they had much more than just 'omg i liek u i wanna suk ur peepee'. Hell, Camilla outright felt more like some kind of overly protective mother than a stalker, attire aside
The thing is, it's not the affection to another that is the problem, it's the Yandere characteristics
Cordelia is all about Chrom but she isn't creepy to the point of hurting her other relationships

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I didn't get any notifications for once, and wow, I missed out an entire Faye discussion, but it seems like it's still ongoing, so I'm going to give my two cents.

I'm glad I'm not the only one here whose least favorite character is Faye for reasons everyone has been mentioning. I don't have much to add, but one thing I will say that also bugs me about Faye is that we never have an explanation why she has a crush on Alm. If you're going to make an attachment toward a character such the focal point to the character, at least explain why she has a crush on him, because from what we have her, it seems like she has a crush just because.

Take Serena from the Pokemon anime for instance. People love hating her because, "She has a huge crush on Ash, and that's all she is." I can see why this is a common criticism against her, especially in the the first batch of XY episodes leading up to her first Showcase when her initially reasoning for traveling the region was to meet and be with Ash, but there are several traits that make her much better than Faye:
  1. Serena has a backstory that explains why she has a crush on Ash. We even learn this backstory very early, specifically in episode 7 of the XY anime. Said backstory is also very sweet, as it turns out they first met at Professor Oak's Summer Camp. Serena was having a horrible time to the point she didn't make any friends (and it's even implied her mother forced her to go there against her will) and even injured herself during it. Ash helped her when she was lost and injured. From this, not only did Ash become, most likely, the only friend she made during camp, but he also become the boy she would develop feelings for.
  2. Serena feelings for Ash never reach creepy, obsession levels. Yes, there is the occasional teasing from Miette, but from their interactions between the two rivals, it's clear that Serena never develops any strong hatred towards her. Back to Ash, Serena doesn't just see Ash as someone she wants for a future husband. She also looks up to him as a role model. It was thanks to traveling with Ash she was able to see the region and find what career she wants to tackle. Her favorite quote she lives by is also something that Ash told her in the past and he lives by as well: "Never give up until the very end." We also see her develop as a character in the episode following Ash's lose to Wulfric. When Ash went deep into the forrest to sulk about his lose, Serena was the only one to go after him and try to console him, but he yelled at her back. If this was pre-Showcase Serena, Serena would've cowered, felt bad, and apologize, but here, we see an amazing point of character development where she throws snowballs at Ash and criticizes him for acting very different from the Ash who is "kind, optimistic, and never gives up until the very end." Serena runs off, but it is those words that wake Ash back into reality.
Meanwhile, from what we know of Faye, she has feelings for Alm just because, and her feelings for him get creepy at times, and she doesn't gain much development.

Heck, her ending states that she kept disappearing from her newly wed family time and time again, which she implies she never got over her crush on him.

It's funny, I just recruited Delthea, and from the supports I've read of her, it turns out...

...Delthea has a massive crush on Clive that is revealed in her supports with Clair. Clair tries to talk her out of it, telling her that Clive has Mathilda. Delthea feels bothered by this (but no way in the obsessive-kind of bothered), and into the B-support, she even admits she prefers him to Luthier even though Clair tries to convince her to value her brother more. Delthea is bothered by that, and we learn that another reason she is attached to Clive is because she sees him as a more ideal brother-figure than Luthier. In the A-support, she develops and admits, through Clair's help, that even her own brother has good traits. We also see how the two become better friends.

It's also clear that her feelings for Clive never reach obsession levels to the point that's all she talks about. When she appears during the story, she doesn't bring up Clive. Even in her supports with Luthier, we see other traits to her that don't focus only on her crush. Thus, Delthea actually has character to her and doesn't just daydream about Clive all the time, making her a far better "character with a crush" than Faye is.

Last edited:

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
I didn't get any notifications for once, and wow, I missed out an entire Faye discussion, but it seems like it's still ongoing, so I'm going to give my two cents.

I'm glad I'm not the only one here whose least favorite character is Faye for reasons everyone has been mentioning. I don't have much to add, but one thing I will say that also bugs me about Faye is that we never have an explanation why she has a crush on Alm. If you're going to make an attachment toward a character such the focal point to the character, at least explain why she has a crush on him, because from what we have her, it seems like she has a crush just because.

Take Serena from the Pokemon anime for instance. People love hating her because, "She has a huge crush on Ash, and that's all she is." I can see why this is a common criticism against her, especially in the the first batch of XY episodes leading up to her first Showcase when her initially reasoning for traveling the region was to meet and be with Ash, but there are several traits that make her much better than Faye:
  1. Serena has a backstory that explains why she has a crush on Ash. We even learn this backstory very early, specifically in episode 7 of the XY anime. Said backstory is also very sweet, as it turns out they first met at Professor Oak's Summer Camp. Serena was having a horrible time to the point she didn't make any friends (and it's even implied her mother forced her to go there against her will) and even injured herself during it. Ash helped her when she was lost and injured. From this, not only did Ash become, most likely, the only friend she made during camp, but he also become the boy she would develop feelings for.
  2. Serena feelings for Ash never reach creepy, obsession levels. Yes, there is the occasional teasing from Miette, but from their interactions between the two rivals, it's clear that Serena never develops any strong hatred towards her. Back to Ash, Serena doesn't just see Ash as someone she wants for a future husband. She also looks up to him as a role model. It was thanks to traveling with Ash she was able to see the region and find what career she wants to tackle. Her favorite quote she lives by is also something that Ash told her in the past and he lives by as well: "Never give up until the very end." We also see her develop as a character in the episode following Ash's lose to Wulfric. When Ash went deep into the forrest to sulk about his lose, Serena was the only one to go after him and try to console him, but he yelled at her back. If this was pre-Showcase Serena, Serena would've cowered, felt bad, and apologize, but here, we see an amazing point of character development where she throws snowballs at Ash and criticizes him for acting very different from the Ash who is "kind, optimistic, and never gives up until the very end." Serena runs off, but it is those words that wake Ash back into reality.
I don't even follow the anime closely anymore, but that's a great write-up on Serena. Personally, I enjoy Serena, from the little I've seen of her. Misty will probably never be dethroned concerning my favorite female Pokemon anime character, but Serena isn't bad.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
The thing is, it's not the affection to another that is the problem, it's the Yandere characteristics
Cordelia is all about Chrom but she isn't creepy to the point of hurting her other relationships

For me, the Yandere part isn't all that makes characters like Tharja trash, but rather how she treats her kid and I don't actually have anything against Camilla. Again, I wasn't talking about the yandere stuff, but how she's got NOTHING but "omg ulm" going for her in terms of personality. I GENUINELY don't get the appeal she has. Because she's cute? I dunno

lmao Ghast proved he's a ****ing moron and claims Story Xander and Support Xander are two different people. Not as if someone can end up acting differently in completely different circumstances or anything. Also, he did a video on Peri a while back, was it by any chance a "This character's a bad person, therefore a bad character" thing that only idiots believe?

D

Deleted member

Meanwhile, Alm just became one of my favorite Lords
https://just-a-radical-dreamer.tumblr.com/post/160950282167/this-dork-is-the-commander-of-an-army
Seriously, he just looks to be trying too hard to be funny and that's adorable
For me, the Yandere part isn't all that makes characters like Tharja trash, but rather how she treats her kid and I don't actually have anything against Camilla. Again, I wasn't talking about the yandere stuff, but how she's got NOTHING but "omg ulm" going for her in terms of personality. I GENUINELY don't get the appeal she has. Because she's cute? I dunno
As I mentioned in my other reply, her hurting her relationships with others is part of the Yandere trope, so yes, the problem is her being a Yandere
lmao Ghast proved he's a ****ing moron and claims Story Xander and Support Xander are two different people. Not as if someone can end up acting differently in completely different circumstances or anything. Also, he did a video on Peri a while back, was it by any chance a "This character's a bad person, therefore a bad character" thing that only idiots believe?
Did you even watch the video? He didn't try to say Xander acts differently because that's part of his character or something but because of Fates's awful story writing but somehow great support writing, which makes him inconsistent across both scenarios and making him look like two different persons

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Meanwhile, Alm just became one of my favorite Lords
https://just-a-radical-dreamer.tumblr.com/post/160950282167/this-dork-is-the-commander-of-an-army
Seriously, he just looks to be trying too hard to be funny and that's adorable

As I mentioned in my other reply, her hurting her relationships with others is part of the Yandere trope, so yes, the problem is her being a Yandere

Did you even watch the video? He didn't try to say Xander acts differently because that's part of his character or something but because of Fates's awful story writing but somehow great support writing, which makes him inconsistent across both scenarios and making him look like two different persons

But here's the thing with that
The two scenarios Xander is in are COMPLETELY different. Of COURSE he'll act different to his allies in free time and during serious moments

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I mean sure, that's one way to put it, Forsyth.

WVW69kV3y_MAfhvb3X.jpg

Also yeah, I really like Alm as well. Easily one of my favourite characters in the game and one of my favourite FE characters in general so far (now I'm gonna want him in Heroes, uuuuugh). He's literally Phoenix Wright if he were a Fire Emblem character. Which makes me dislike Celica even more because of how she treats him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom