• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
*On the last episode of Shovel Knight Z: Two Idiot Killing Each Other*
Du-du-du-du-du...
Blue Hunter Z and his sister, after countless death, finally beated three mini-boss and two boss. They also acquired new capacity and fabulous armor to help them in their quest. But even then, the number of stupid death keep getting higher and higher. Will the duo be able to defeat the Enchantress? Find out next time, on Shove Knight Z: Two Idiot Killling Each Other.
Du-du-du!

D

Deleted member

I guess I can't get a new Pokemon eithout it dying 5 minutes later
Stufful was doing great and then two Machops ganged up on her and killed her
Now I'm about to face Totem Lurantis and I have no one that can tank hits from it and that goddamn Trumbeak and its ****ing Pluck argh

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So with less than a month left to go, made my E3 Prediction Bingo. Lemme know what you think!

E3BINGO.png

Some caveats & clarifications:
  • FE Switch is the forthcoming main title, not FE as a series. Warriors will obv be there.
  • Xenoblade in 2018 is for western release, not necessarily Japanese release
  • Big Square support would be a triple-a title coming to the Switch.
  • Nintendo being dumb is them making dubious or unpopular decisions, not being just trademark silly
  • Rabbids + Mario doesn't count towards the other Mario spin-off
  • The "another surprise reveal" can't be anything already covered on the sheet, already confirmed, or widely predicted

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
@Shishœ it's hilarious that you argued Cloud was only well-known by FFVII fans or something a few days ago because the Super Gaming Brothers just uploaded a video about God Bless the Ring: Ergeiz. That game had Cloud on the front and the back of the box, with hik being the character with the most focus, It wasn't a crossover game either, meaning Cloud, Sephiroth, Zach, Tifa and Yuffie were literally plastered on just because of them being Square's poster boys and girls

D

Deleted member

Lol, so, the answer to Totem Lurantis in a team of 4 Pokemon + 2 death fodders? Protect.

I put Tentacool out on the first turn(because anyone else would or could make Lurantis go for X-Scissor) and make her waste the Power Herb
Second turn I go for Scald hoping to get a Burn while Lurantis charges a SB leaving Trumbeak alone, burn triggers but Trumbeak hits the Supersonic.
I switch to my Diglett so it'll take the attack and next turn I go for Herdier, he paralyzes Trumbeak, protects from the Solar Blade and I switch to Kadabra expecting another SB, she goes for X-Scissor instead but the burn saves him and Trumbeak decides it's a good turn to trigger his paralysis. Send Fletchling to her death but Lurantis decides to charge up so I send Dartrix to get some damage in while praying the RNG on paralysis works on my favor.
It does and eventually kills Lurantis, leaving Trumbeak to Tentacool to slowly pick off.

Lesson learned: protection is important, Lurantis can go **** itself and the confusion from berries do not take effect if the Pokemon eats it from Pluck.
@Shishœ it's hilarious that you argued Cloud was only well-known by FFVII fans or something a few days ago because the Super Gaming Brothers just uploaded a video about God Bless the Ring: Ergeiz. That game had Cloud on the front and the back of the box, with hik being the character with the most focus, It wasn't a crossover game either, meaning Cloud, Sephiroth, Zach, Tifa and Yuffie were literally plastered on just because of them being Square's poster boys and girls
I never argued that, all I said was that Mega Man is far more well-known than him

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I never argued that, all I said was that Mega Man is far more well-known than him
And you're still wrong.

Cloud is about as big as Snake and Ryu.

When you think of their genre, you think of them.

When you think of platformers, the first things that comes to mind are Mario and Sonic.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
But here's why I believe that isn't the case. The game sold itself by pushing Cloud. That never worked for Mega Man, as the only time I can think of games that had him are the Capcom VS Whatever, in which people mostly buy for their favourite Marvel superheroes

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Spent a half hour decorating my hat and I'm quite proud of the results.

Acrylic paints, glitter, and slime was just what I needed to make an actual map of my life. I'm quite excited to literally wear it and go across that stage with no fear.

No more college, just me having to support myself and build my business. Can't believe it took four years to achieve this. This is like so unreal right now.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Today's Puyo poll was strange. Maguro was ignored while Risukuma and Ecolo underperformed. Sure she's pretty much a clone, butt I guess they find Dark Arle an interesting villain.

Anyways, back to the old Genesis days now that we got the small franchises covered. Your choices are Flicky, the Bonanza Bros, Vectorman, and Ristar (@MainJPW).

There was a problem fetching the tweet

There are four hours left and I'm still nervous of crossing that stage.
Vectorman. I liked his games and he could have neat gimmicks transforming into other objects.

D

Deleted member

And you're still wrong.

Cloud is about as big as Snake and Ryu.

When you think of their genre, you think of them.

When you think of platformers, the first things that comes to mind are Mario and Sonic.
You're comparing percentages of different values
Just because Cloud is the most well-known of his genre, doesn't mean he's more well-known than someone of another genre just because they aren't THE most known of their own genre
It's like saying 60% of X is bigger than 40% of Y.

But I don't get why we are even bringing this discussion back up again days after.
But here's why I believe that isn't the case. The game sold itself by pushing Cloud. That never worked for Mega Man, as the only time I can think of games that had him are the Capcom VS Whatever, in which people mostly buy for their favourite Marvel superheroes
I think you're confusing "popularity" with "recognizability"

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
But recognizability is what determines how iconic the character is. The game's marketing was quite literally 'featuring Dante from Devil May Cry' before that was an actual thing
You're comparing percentages of different values
Just because Cloud is the most well-known of his genre, doesn't mean he's more well-known than someone of another genre just because they aren't THE most known of their own genre
It's like saying 60% of X is bigger than 40% of Y.

But I don't get why we are even bringing this discussion back up again days after.

I think you're confusing "popularity" with "recognizability"

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Today's Puyo poll was strange. Maguro was ignored while Risukuma and Ecolo underperformed. Sure she's pretty much a clone, butt I guess they find Dark Arle an interesting villain.

Anyways, back to the old Genesis days now that we got the small franchises covered. Your choices are Flicky, the Bonanza Bros, Vectorman, and Ristar (@MainJPW).

There was a problem fetching the tweet

There are four hours left and I'm still nervous of crossing that stage.
Bonanza Bros.

I'm not trying to be the odd guy. I ****ing loved that game, and I could see myself liking the idea of the bros. being playable.

D

Deleted member

But recognizability is what determines how iconic the character is. The game's marketing was quite literally 'featuring Dante from Devil May Cry' before that was an actual thing
Recognizability and iconicness=/=popularity

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Spent a half hour decorating my hat and I'm quite proud of the results.

Acrylic paints, glitter, and slime was just what I needed to make an actual map of my life. I'm quite excited to literally wear it and go across that stage with no fear.

No more college, just me having to support myself and build my business. Can't believe it took four years to achieve this. This is like so unreal right now.
We both made it to the end and that's what matters. You can go your separate ways as that independent artist while I join an organization dedicated to saving our planet.

If only I had your confidence because I'm actually scared stiff of crossing that stage in front of so many people again. Even then, I feel that going for a Master's Degree wouldn't be worth it given the climate.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't really care about the Cloud/Mega Man argument at this point but since Gwen brought it up and I just watched the SGB video, that Ergheiz (GOD BLESS THE RING) game actually looks amazing. Like, it's really ahead of it's time.

I'd want to play it even if it didn't have the Final Fantasy characters after seeing this video. It looks incredibly fluid, which is amazing considering it's a 3D PS1 fighter.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Recognizability and iconicness=/=popularity
Now I'm confused
The game literally sold itself with "We have Final Fantasy 7 characters", thus Cloud and his gang are iconic enough and recognizable enough to push in the marketing
Final Fantasy 7's remake was easily the most demanded thing in gaming for a LOOOOONG time
Thus it's a popular request

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
The only thing about Ergheiz I care about is that some Jin Kazama knock-off is in it.

His name is Ken Mishima. Just in case the reference wasn't obvious enough.

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Now I'm confused
The game literally sold itself with "We have Final Fantasy 7 characters", thus Cloud and his gang are iconic enough and recognizable enough to push in the marketing
Final Fantasy 7's remake was easily the most demanded thing in gaming for a LOOOOONG time
He's not wrong in definition, but I'm not gonna involve myself in this squabble.

Seriously, how long has this argument been going?

EDIT: don't die on me, Nintenzone. :V

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Thirty minutes, and I've still haven't shaken the fear off of me. I don't want to disappoint all those people in the auditorium.

Please say something encouraging Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan .

D

Deleted member

Now I'm confused
Jfc, I'm not denying anything, I'm saying popularity and recognizability are two separate things.
They're not selling their game with how recognizable FFVII is, they're selling it with how POPULAR it is

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Thirty minutes, and I've still haven't shaken the fear off of me. I don't want to disappoint all those people in the auditorium.

Please say something encouraging Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan .
Relax, deep breaths, and follow the guidelines.

Think of it as a trip to the dentist, but more complex. You didn't make it this far for nothing.

Alright thanks for the tags. About to order now. Was so stupidly cheap plus free shipping I had no reason not to. Gamestop stays losing.

@Zebei2 sucked. @Zebei3 better have Indivisible confirmed for switch or Viridi confirmed for smash

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Saw Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.

A really good sequel to a really good movie. Though I honestly prefer the first movie.

Vol. 2 is a lot more goofy, compared to the original's more dry sense of humor.

It's not a bad thing by any means, it still provides the great laughs and charming characters the original had.

I'm glad Yondu got a lot more screen time. I felt he was underutilized in the original, and he quickly became one of my favorites. Really love the dynamic between him and Rocket.

Overall, I highly recommend it to people who enjoyed the first movie.

Also our boy :4pacman: makes an appearance

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Jfc, I'm not denying anything, I'm saying popularity and recognizability are two separate things.
They're not selling their game with how recognizable FFVII is, they're selling it with how POPULAR it is
Isn't popularity just good recognisability? Things can be recognisable but heavily disliked.

Your second sentence isn't really saying anything. Just sounds like a discussion on semantics.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Depends on how you look at it I suppose.

My preference of the definition of the word popular is the thing in question is liked.
I would extend it to being liked by lots of people, or at least lots of people within a set group.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Not gonna get into the actual discussion but I want to clear this up.

Recognisable/Well-known: People know what it is based on appearance.
Popular: Recognisable but also performs well and is generally received positively.
Notorious: Recognisable but is received in a negative light.
Beloved: Recognisable but people have a particular affection for it, or it has a dedicated community that specifically exist to spread the love of the thing in question (something can be less popular than another thing but more beloved than it. For example, Mario is more popular than Luigi as more people recognise him and not many people actively dislike Mario, but Luigi is more genuinely beloved and has more dedicated fans than Mario himself does).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom