• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
That's not what I said though

Uhm, no, everyone that had a console, had a PS2(because lol buying original copies of the games lol), still, "The Big 4"(Pac-Man, Mario, Sonic and Mega Man), Pikachu and Co., the main MK cast, etc. were as iconic as they could get, and that's probably because of the multiple media references they had(and that one Sonic cartoon with the humans and ****). But hell if anyone knew what a Cloud was and Spyro was that cool dragon from a random game I found and no one else seemed to know where he came from but it was actually feally fun but too bad years later I found out the rest of the series wasn't like that and lost all hype for it and I'm getting sidetracked here.
The next console generation was more divided because PS3 didn't have pirated games and the Wii was just there as a Wii Sports Machine, so the XBox360 became one of the most popular and no one knew who Master Chief was outside of "he looks like that Samus girl".

My point is(I think, I lost track of where I was going with this half an hour ago): the console and its games' sales aren't actually that relevant and what you play isn't directly related to how recognizable a character is
Yeah it's exactly what you said.

D

Deleted member

>Shelder used Icicle Spear
"It's okay, Koichi(Eevee) can survive!"
>5 hits
>5th hit crits
There are no words to describe the mix of pain and anger I'm feeling right now
Then why did you say it did in your last post?

And you're being anecdotal again.
Because you said Cloud has more references than MK or Mega Man

And your point is? Literally no one in this thread isn't doing that because it's impossible unless you're trying to imply someone here actually did or is pulling information from a scientific research on the subject
Yeah it's exactly what you said.
No, I said I'm tired of hearing that and the use of "chances" gives me flashbacks to those days

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
>Shelder used Icicle Spear
"It's okay, Koichi(Eevee) can survive!"
>5 hits
>5th hit crits
There are no words to describe the mix of pain and anger I'm feeling right now

Because you said Cloud has more references than MK or Mega Man

And your point is? Literally no one in this thread isn't doing that because it's impossible unless you're trying to imply someone here actually did or is pulling information from a scientific research on the subject

No, I said I'm tired of hearing that and the use of "chances" gives me flashbacks to those days
So it's relevant when you use it as a point but not when others use it as a point?.... lol.

Most of us aren't actually being anecdotal. Stuff like sales, the kind of games the characters show up in, and the frequency of merchandise are all measurable, and are all indicators of a character's notoriety. And Cloud very clearly beats Ryu and Mega Man in these regards.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Going off of the current discussion, here's a question.

Who do you think are the most iconic (non-Nintendo since they're all present) video game characters not in Smash? The company who owns them doesn't matter, just in general, who do you think are the top three or five?
I can only think of one and that Professor Layton

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
What are you, a victim of war? :laugh:
That depends on what gathering places of the Smash Fandom one was situated at during the 2011-2013 timeframe.

Yes. Yes there were wars. Flags were flown valiantly and brilliantly, and much cream pie and arrogance was wasted.

Waluigi, Bowser Jr, Toad, and Daisy in eternal four way combat. Dixie Kong and K. Rool scrapping in the streets. Endless debates over the size of flying reptiles. Countless decrees were passed, countless names suggested. Warriors from bygone eras rose up, and fad by fad new ones joined them in kind.

There were only two victors that could clearly be seen through the smoke. :4megaman::4mewtwo:. Many fought valiantly for lesser positions, but no others could bring peace to the majority.

That was a strange time, cruel but even so bright compared to the vile era that came after.

D

Deleted member

What are you, a victim of war? :laugh:
Actually, yes, I still see my fallen comrades in my sleep
So it's relevant when you use it as a point but not when others use it as a point?.... lol.

Most of us aren't actually being anecdotal. Stuff like sales, the kind of games the characters show up in, and the frequency of merchandise are all measurable, and are all indicators of a character's notoriety. And Cloud very clearly beats Ryu and Mega Man in these regards.
That's not what I said though. If Cloud has more references yet he isn't more recognizable, then clearly there isn't a connection between the two

And this thread has already been over how sales aren't really an indicator, and as I said, other media has a much bigger influence than the games, it's why Pokemon is as popular as it is.
Not even Echoes Act 3's favourite word, an acronym for Sugar Honey Ice Tea?
He didn't even make it to Act 2, poor guy didn't deserve that, he will je killing whores in heaven now, Basic Idea That Confuses Hell
holy ****, that music and Alm walking
when u hear someone talkin **** about u and ur friends

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

That's not what I said though. If Cloud has more references yet he isn't more recognizable, then clearly there isn't a connection between the two

And this thread has already been over how sales aren't really an indicator, and as I said, other media has a much bigger influence than the games, it's why Pokemon is as popular as it is.

He didn't even make it to Act 2, poor guy didn't deserve that, he will je killing whores in heaven now, Basic Idea That Confuses Hell

Sales weren't a good indicator for Pac-Man specifically, due to arcades not being factored in. Mega Man isn't known for his two obscure arcade games.

Cloud is a good deal more iconic.
I can only think of one and that Professor Layton
Professor Layton isn't iconic though.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
That depends on what gathering places of the Smash Fandom one was situated at during the 2011-2013 timeframe.

Yes. Yes there were wars. Flags were flown valiantly and brilliantly, and much cream pie and arrogance was wasted.

Waluigi, Bowser Jr, Toad, and Daisy in eternal four way combat. Dixie Kong and K. Rool scrapping in the streets. Endless debates over the size of flying reptiles. Countless decrees were passed, countless names suggested. Warriors from bygone eras rose up, and fad by fad new ones joined them in kind.

There were only two victors that could clearly be seen through the smoke. :4megaman::4mewtwo:. Many fought valiantly for lesser positions, but no others could bring peace to the majority.

That was a strange time, cruel but even so bright compared to the vile era that came after.
...tfw you expect a certain post but not by someone else.

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
Who was Toby Kebbell playing in Kong? I didn't notice him. Then again, I only remember Jackson, Goodman, Riley and Kong.
Toby Kebbell was the soldier with a southern accent who kept talking about writing home to his son. He also did some facial motion capture for Kong. I just didn't hear much of Miles so I assumed his career just died about as tragically as The Iron Giant.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Sales numbers aren't a solid indicator for every character because most sales numbers only factor in physical cartridges/discs (and occasionally download sales), and some of these characters have "sales" from other mediums.

In which case, ignoring official sales totals (which Cloud cleanly beats Mega Man and Street Fighter in, even without factoring in Kingdom Hearts), things are actually more in Cloud's favour because of all of the mobile games he has been in which aren't accounted for in game sales totals, not to mention the sales and reach of things in other mediums like Advent Children. Cloud has never really experienced what I would call a "dry spell" either like Street Fighter has on occasion and like how Mega Man has for the last while.

It's kinda unrelated to the Cloud point, but I could similarly argue Sonic is more iconic than Mario and about even with Pikachu and Pac-Man in terms of general pop culture significance because Sonic Dash alone has over 200 Million downloads as of June 2016 (it was announced at the 25th Anniversary Party where Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces were first unveiled), not to mention he has other mobile games and some arcade titles, has seen an immense success in other mediums such as TV shows and, especially, holding the Guinness World Record for having the longest running comic book series based on both a video game and a licensed property period (i.e. a property that didn't start as a comic), and has been a key part of many pop culture events and has had many accolades associated specifically with the character and not just the brand. It's why Sonic remains a popular franchise despite the challenges his sometimes less than stellar games have brought him - people very specifically really like the character, as opposed to Mario, where it's the more popular game franchise (though even that can be debated or is about neck-in-neck, because one game with 200 Million downloads is absolutely a massive feat), but while Mario is recognisable, he isn't quite as beloved as someone like Sonic and doesn't have the same pull in other mediums outside of gaming due to him being a pretty bland character. I honestly think a similar thing is the case with Cloud and Ryu...except, well, Final Fantasy as a whole is still a more popular game franchise evidently, so it's more cut and dry.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sales numbers aren't a solid indicator for every character because most sales numbers only factor in physical cartridges/discs (and occasionally download sales), and some of these characters have "sales" from other mediums.

In which case, ignoring official sales totals (which Cloud cleanly beats Mega Man and Street Fighter in, even without factoring in Kingdom Hearts), things are actually more in Cloud's favour because of all of the mobile games he has been in which aren't accounted for in game sales totals, not to mention the sales and reach of things in other mediums like Advent Children. Cloud has never really experienced what I would call a "dry spell" either like Street Fighter has on occasion and like how Mega Man has for the last while.

It's kinda unrelated to the Cloud point, but I could similarly argue Sonic is more iconic than Mario and about even with Pikachu and Pac-Man in terms of general pop culture significance because Sonic Dash alone has over 200 Million downloads as of June 2016 (it was announced at the 25th Anniversary Party where Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces were first unveiled), not to mention he has other mobile games and some arcade titles, has seen an immense success in other mediums such as TV shows and, especially, holding the Guinness World Record for having the longest running comic book series based on both a video game and a licensed property period (i.e. a property that didn't start as a comic), and has been a key part of many pop culture events and has had many accolades associated specifically with the character and not just the brand. It's why Sonic remains a popular franchise despite the challenges his sometimes less than stellar games have brought him - people very specifically really like the character, as opposed to Mario, where it's the more popular game franchise (though even that can be debated because one game with 200 Million downloads is absolutely a massive feat), but while Mario is recognisable, he isn't quite as beloved as someone like Sonic and doesn't have the same pull in other mediums outside of gaming due to him being a pretty bland character. I honestly think a similar thing is the case with Cloud and Ryu...except, well, Final Fantasy as a whole is still a more popular game franchise evidently, so it's more cut and dry.
But... Cloud appears in one game of the franchise he's from, sure he's the mascot of said franchise buf people won't know him by playing other FF games, if you're gonna go off sales, then you should only count FFVII
Meanwhile, Mega Man and Ryu appear in all of their main games, making them easier to reference and having a higher chance of someone stumbling on one of their games and knowing about them

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
But... Cloud appears in one game of the franchise he's from, sure he's the mascot of said franchise buf people won't know him by playing other FF games, if you're gonna go off sales, then you should only count FFVII
Meanwhile, Mega Man and Ryu appear in all of their main games, making them easier to reference and having a higher chance of someone stumbling on one of their games and knowing about them
Cloud has appeared in at least 88 games (includes crossovers/Kingdom Hearts, but the majority are Final Fantasy).

Where did you get one from?

D

Deleted member

Cloud has appeared in at least 88 games (includes crossovers/Kingdom Hearts, but the majority are Final Fantasy).

Where did you get one from?
I'm talking about the main series and it's literally only FFVII

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Professor Layton isn't iconic though.
Amongst the likes of Cloud, Megaman, Sonic, Pac-Man, etc. (not counting Bayonetta), Professor Layton is definitely nowhere as iconic as they are, but if we're talking about Level 5, Layton is easily the company's most iconic gaming character not counting Jibanyan.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
he isnt? hm, he seems pretty Iconic to me personaly
If you show a picture of Layton to a random person off the street it's almost a guarantee they won't know who he is, unless they specifically have played or heard of the series. This is different than say, Mario, who is known the world over. In this case, Mario is iconic. Layton is not.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm talking about the main series and it's literally only FFVII
How is that relevant though? At what point did anyone say there was a "main series only" restriction?

The other Final Fantasy games still exist, and they sell, and people play them. And Cloud is in them. That's exposure for the character. And Cloud is an actual reason behind how some of them sell.

I myself have never played through FFVII, but I've extensively played other games Cloud is in, sometimes as him (like Dissidia). I'm generally very familiar with the character because of those experiences, and would be tempted to buy merchandise involving the character (such as the two Cloud amiibo) because of that fact. I have a brother who loves FFVII and Cloud too.

The fact that Cloud is the actual lead protagonist of only one game, yet STILL remains relevant, prominent, and instantly recognisable and marketable/merchandisable since his debut, AND can pull in new fans even when they haven't played his main game, is a testament to just how iconic he is. Not proof against it.

What you're saying would be like trying to ignore Mario Kart in assessing how iconic and well known a Mario character is, just because it isn't "main series Mario".

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Just finished my Nintendo E3 2017 BINGO sheet:

Anything, including content and their positions, are subject to change until E3 begins.

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
New poster is out for the first film of the Fate/Stay Night Heaven's Feel movie trilogy:

Looks fantastic! Much better than the first pre-release poster of UBW IMO. The Saber vs Rider and Shirou vs Shinji with Sakura in the middle are some amazing touches. Saber looks pretty cool here as well. Heck, I think all the artworks of the servants look avatar-worthy for anyone here.

UPDATE: Here's a link to a textless version of the poster.

The first Heaven's Feel movie comes out in Japanese theaters October 14. The film already has a website as well.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
If you show a picture of Layton to a random person off the street it's almost a guarantee they won't know who he is, unless they specifically have played or heard of the series. This is different than say, Mario, who is known the world over. In this case, Mario is iconic. Layton is not.
I always find it a problem using the 'non-gamers' won't recognize such and such cuz most of the time if it isn't Pac-man, Mario or Sonic they won't have a clue anyways...

D

Deleted member

How is that relevant though? At what point did anyone say there was a "main series only" restriction?

The other Final Fantasy games still exist, and they sell, and people play them. And Cloud is in them. That's exposure for the character. And Cloud is an actual reason behind how some of them sell.

I myself have never played through FFVII, but I've extensively played other games Cloud is in, sometimes as him (like Dissidia). I'm generally very familiar with the character because of those experiences, and would be tempted to buy merchandise involving the character (such as the two Cloud amiibo) because of that fact. I have a brother who loves FFVII and Cloud too.

The fact that Cloud is the actual lead protagonist of only one game, yet STILL remains relevant, prominent, and instantly recognisable and marketable/merchandisable since his debut, AND can pull in new fans even when they haven't played his main game, is a testament to just how iconic he is. Not proof against it.

What you're saying would be like trying to ignore Mario Kart in assessing how iconic and well known a Mario character is, just because it isn't "main series Mario".
Because maybe those are the games that'll build up on how recognizable he is, and if someone is playing Dissidia or KH ghey sure as hell already know about him
I'm not denying how iconic he is but saying a random person on the street has a higher chance of knowing who he is than knowing who ****ing Mega Man is is bull****

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Because maybe those are the games that'll build up on how recognizable he is, and if someone is playing Dissidia or KH ghey sure as hell already know about him
I'm not denying how iconic he is but saying a random person on the street has a higher chance of knowing who he is than knowing who ****ing Mega Man is is bull****
I know quite a few Kingdom Hearts fans who were introduced to Final Fantasy because of KH. Disney was what drawed them in as Donald Duck is HUGE in the Netherlands

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
well yeah, If it isnt Pac-man or mario, no old person is gonna knew who the hell it is

D

Deleted member

New poster is out for the first film of the Fate/Stay Night Heaven's Feel movie trilogy:

Looks fantastic! Much better than the first pre-release poster of UBW IMO. The Saber vs Rider and Shirou vs Shinji with Sakura in the middle are some amazing touches. Saber looks pretty cool here as well. Heck, I think all the artworks of the servants look avatar-worthy for anyone here.

UPDATE: Here's a link to a textless version of the poster.

The first Heaven's Feel movie comes out in Japanese theaters October 14. The film already has a website as well.
I love how True Assassin is just chilling back there
z2r50hj-1.jpg

"Hey guys, I'm new here, can I join in too? This looks fun!"

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Tons of people play Kingdom Hearts with no Final Fantasy background. Disney has that kind of pull.

I seriously think you're overstating Mega Man's iconicness when so many people who are asked who he is say Astro Boy, of all things.

well yeah, If it isnt Pac-man or mario, no old person is gonna knew who the hell it is
Even still, some characters are pretty much household names. Lara Croft, Master Chief, Steve, Ryu, and Cloud may not have the name recognition of Mario, Pac-Man, Pikachu, or Sonic, but a whole lot more people know them than someone like Layton, who is incredibly niche.

MF Viewtiful

Son MF
Switch FC
SW 4028 6305 8614
I be curious of a general survey of the public on the ability to recognize a lot of the characters being talked about right now. Of course, we're all likely to know all of them, being frequenters of a forum dedicated to games. We may think of "character X from series Y" has an icon of sorts, but Average Joe may have never heard of them before.

This video is a bit hokey, but this probably better represents who is on the public consciousness than compared to this very board. :061:

D

Deleted member

I should have just started with Mudbray against Totem Salazzle, now Johnny is dead, RIP in peace man.
At least I got a Stufful and oh god I'm needing a physical tank because you never kno--
>Trainer has Miltank
*war flashbacks*
>Stufful is at 1/4 of her health
>Literally everyone else in my team has either ****ty Def or is weak to Rollout
>[Input Echoes Act 3 quote here]
>Managed to Paralyze her with Herdier
>Tentacool and Dartrix out some damage in
>3rd Rollout
>Everyone but Kadabra is at yellow
>Calculate the damage won't be enough to kill him and he'll outspeed in the next turn
>Switches in
I think we all know how this story ends...
AND IT'S BY SURVIVING AT 4HP, HOLY ****, MOB IS THE TRUE MVP AND HE KOS HER WITH PSYBEAM JESUS ****ING CHRIST I CAN'T BELIEVE I CAME OUT ALIVE FROM THAT

It clearly was a team effort
when so many people who are asked who he is say Astro Boy, of all things.
I'd argue that's a plus for him but I'm tired of this discussion

D

Deleted member

I thought the astro boy thing was a meme.
It's real but I remember it being both ways, though I usually got Astro Boy confused and thought he was Mega Man most of the time lol
"Holy **** they made a Mega Man cartoon!?"

Last edited by a moderator:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Except...not at all?

Most Disney fans wouldn't have known Cloud before Kingdom Hearts. Even for me personally, while I knew what game Cloud was from (my brother was a big fan, and I was an FFIX fan myself), I didn't know much about the character. I mainly got into Kingdom Hearts because I grew up on classic Disney cartoons and movies and I actually really liked Sora's design so was interested to learn more about him...oh, and a cousin got me the game as a gift, but I had wanted to get it anyway.

People who casually pick up whatever Final Fantasy game every so often might first discover Cloud through Dissidia or some other FF spin-off like World of Final Fantasy, because they got it for Tidus or Squall or Lightning or something.

A lot of casual Nintendo fans would be exposed to Cloud through Theaterhythm Final Fantasy (sp? - also I know this game was quite popular with people who weren't familiar with Final Fantasy), Final Fantasy Explorers, and even Smash Bros.

And Advent Children was one of the best looking CGI films when it came out and everyone gushed about the crazy action it had so a lot of normies watched it just for it's spectacle.

Besides, you haven't even provided as single reason to back up Mega Man and Ryu being more well-known, besides "my friends and I knew them but didn't know Cloud".

Tons of people play Kingdom Hearts with no Final Fantasy background. Disney has that kind of pull.

I seriously think you're overstating Mega Man's iconicness when so many people who are asked who he is say Astro Boy, of all things.

Even still, some characters are pretty much household names. Lara Croft, Master Chief, Steve, Ryu, and Cloud may not have the name recognition of Mario, Pac-Man, Pikachu, or Sonic, but a whole lot more people know them than someone like Layton, who is incredibly niche.
I wouldn't go as far as to call Layton a cult classic/niche. I know he's really popular in the UK and Spain. Plus they've somehow been able fund a lot of crazy projects for him, including an actually really good animated film. The first game was really popular with casuals, and I know Miracle Mask played a big part in pushing early 3DS sales, like FE Awakening.

I wouldn't say he's iconic, but not niche either. I'd say he's just "popular" or "well-known".

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
I thought the astro boy thing was a meme.
I mean...if Astro boy is the only robot boy you know and have no idea who megaman is, I can see a person calling him astro boy.
I wouldn't go as far as to call Layton a cult classic/niche. I know he's really popular in the UK and Spain. Plus they've somehow been able fund a lot of crazy projects for him, including an actually really good animated film. The first game was really popular with casuals, and I know Miracle Mask played a big part in pushing early 3DS sales, like FE Awakening.

I wouldn't say he's iconic, but not niche either. I'd say he's just "popular" or "well-known"
Layton is popular in spain?? I never knew that

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

GameXPlain posted more Echoes footage
This dialogue continues to be pure gold
I love how they leave it very clear what are the motivations for each of the villagers
Kliff wants to see the world
Tobin wants money to help his family
Faye is after Alm's ****
And Gray is looking for some *****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom