• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004

Apparently people are making their own amiibo cards and selling them on eBay. I can understand considering how much of hassle amiibo collecting can be.

So far I've seen sets for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 (Deluxe), & Splatoon (not Super Smash Bros. surprisingly)

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I honestly wouldn't say Cloud is more iconic than Megaman...

Both have contributed a heck of a lot to their respective genres but Megaman has a much stronger legacy imo...

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I honestly wouldn't say Cloud is more iconic than Megaman...

Both have contributed a heck of a lot to their respective genres but Megaman has a much stronger legacy imo...
He doesn't have stronger legacy if he isn't showing up in much and never sold as much to begin with.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
ITT: people underselling Mega Man's worldwide recognizability

Maybe I'm just tired of hearing "X has higher chances than Y" during the entire pre-release speculation period

**** you too
I don't think it's underselling, really. I'd put him on Samus's level. The issue is Samus's level is far below the likes of Pac-Man, Sonic, Cloud, and Ryu.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
This college event is busy as it gets. So I'll make this quick.

Arle won fair and square with Ringo being more popular than Amitie. Congrats @smashkirby and @Notshane.

Next up will be more on the classic Puyo Puyo characters. Your choices are Satan (Dark Prince), Schezo Wegey, Draco Centaurus, and Rulue.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Thank you and goodbye!

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Rewatching that p
urprised to learn there was some great attention to detail regarding the plot twist.

And on a different note: Professor Pumpkaboo Professor Pumpkaboo did you catch female Armin in the last episode?

Her name's Nifa.
What is this wizardry
Edit: I just rememberd Nifa was in the first season

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't think it's underselling, really. I'd put him on Samus's level. The issue is Samus's level is far below the likes of Pac-Man, Sonic, Cloud, and Ryu.
At the same time, how recognizable Cloud is is also being exaggerated
For most people he's just "that anime guy with a big sword".
Same for Ryu, he's the "fighting game dude"
While growing up, besides the obligatory "Mario, Pikachu, Sonic and Pac-Man"(who I'd argue are THE most iconic videogame characters), Mega Man(and Ryu by some extension too but MK was always the more well known fighting game here) was the only one from the Smash 3rd parties that me and the people around me knew about.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
So while the thread is in E3 hype mode...

I tried making a bingo board. Never made one before so I hope I did it right. Is it too early for this?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
For those still keeping up with Corocoro, Necrozma got a feature in Corocoro. It's not much on its own as it just shows how you catch it and recommends which Pokémon to do it with (Sableye), but it is a bit curious that they devoted a set of pages for it like that.

Anyways, this one is going to be a bit more obscure unless you are an SRPG nut or Arcanir Arcanir . This poll will be mostly about the Shining (Or Shining Force if you prefer) series of RPGs Sega related in the old days and post third party. Most of these are protagonists since I'd rather not dabble through the villains and side characters. Your choices are Shining Force's Max, Shining Force 2's Bowie, Shingles's Force 3's Synbios, and Toma from Shingles's Force EXA (who also appeared in Project X Zone).

You used Toma over Zero, Kiriya, and Brian, unforgivable.

Out of those choices, if I could still vote I'd vote Max or Synbios. Max for the classic protagonist, Synbios because getting him in Smash may finally get the other two scenarios brought overseas.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
So while the thread is in E3 hype mode...

I tried making a bingo board. Never made one before so I hope I did it right. Is it too early for this?
I feel a lot of those may not happen besides the FE for switch for sure. I dont expect Animal Crossing this year. But looking at the Wario Ware part, I want rhythm Heaven on switch now

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If it were me I'd put it more like:

:4pacman:=:4mario:=:4sonic:>:4cloud:>:4ryu:=:snake:>:4megaman:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:4bayonetta2:

Threw Mario in because why not.

I would say Cloud is easily more well known/recognisable for multiple reasons:

-Final Fantasy is a much better selling franchise than Street Fighter, and Cloud is the biggest icon of the franchise even if he isn't the star of every game.
-Final Fantasy is immensely popular with the casual audience in the West, as is Kingdom Hearts (can't forget he's there too). Street Fighter is popular enough but it's popularity has definitely waned in recent years, because outside of Japan, fighting games have become increasingly niche due to the lack of arcades in the West and because people tend to favour games with accessible controls these days (of course, JRPGs aren't as popular as they used to be, but Final Fantasy hasn't really been effected by this).
-Cloud's presence in Kingdom Hearts should not be understated - it means he reaches Disney fans, which are a huge demographic. Kingdom Hearts: Union Cross (the mobile game) in particular is immensely popular and Cloud has multiple obtainable medals in his image in that game (and with more to come). Final Fantasy also has multiple immensely popular mobile games that Cloud makes an appearance in.
-Cloud is heavily merchandised, way more than Ryu is. There's way more figures, plushies, posters, etc, of Cloud than there is of Ryu, which I think is probably one of the biggest factors in how iconic a character is (the term "icon" in this context literally refers to the character being a recognisable symbol of a brand, so having lots of merchandise is obviously a big factor). Again, it helps that he's in Kingdom Hearts, since he gets plenty of merchandise based on that franchise too.
-Cloud has multiple designs, yet people always recognise him since his general appearance is unmistakable. Ryu is actually sometimes confused with other characters that have a similar design.
You also have to consider Ryu's appearences in none-SF games too(such has the immensly popular MvC series), and that most of his presence was in the arcade scene rather than home consoles. And on top of that just how much he is presence he has in pop culture in general too.

And also like you said, the term icon literally refers to the character's recognizability, however, I wouldn't say just in brand, but also when it comes to the character's general image.

Even if people don't know exactly who he is, but the recognize his general image and concept.

And although Final Fantasty is such a high selling franchise, Cloud isn't in most of the games, even if he is the most popular character overall. Same goes in the Kingdom Hearts games, he's in SOME of them, but even then, not in the main spotlight.

Not that it matters much to me, there's no way to actually prove any of this, but I think that saying that Cloud is WAY more popular than Ryu is outlandish. I'd say the same for Snake being equal to Ryu, and Mario, Pacman, and Sonic being in a three way tie.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
He doesn't have stronger legacy if he isn't showing up in much and never sold as much to begin with.
Considering a legacy is what is left behind as well as the overall impact and not necessarily what's to come....though you say that like Megaman's completely MIA which isn't true...not in as good of a position as Cloud but still...but relevance doesn't necessarily mean they are more iconic...

I'm actually quite confused about this comparison in the first place...

Megaman being compared to Mario, Sonic and even Samus, sure...but Cloud? That just seems quite random to me...

I also feel like nobody would say Cloud's more iconic if he wasn't added as Smash DLC...jus sayin...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Going off of the current discussion, here's a question.

Who do you think are the most iconic (non-Nintendo since they're all present) video game characters not in Smash? The company who owns them doesn't matter, just in general, who do you think are the top three or five?

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
ITT: people underselling Mega Man's worldwide recognizability

Maybe I'm just tired of hearing "X has higher chances than Y" during the entire pre-release speculation period

**** you too
We didn't say anything about X having a higher chance than Y.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
JamesDNaux JamesDNaux Thanks for reminding me I need to make an E3 BINGO sheet.

Also,
9,000th POST!!!

I never believe I would ever get this far!

But after consideration, after hitting the 10,000 milestone, I will stop these celebration posts (aka no 11,000+)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Who do you think are the most iconic (non-Nintendo since they're all present) video game characters not in Smash? The company who owns them doesn't matter, just in general, who do you think are the top three or five?
Scorpion, Crash Master Chief and Kratos McAngryface are all that currently come to mind now

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
What is this wizardry
Edit: I just rememberd Nifa was in the first season

That's not Nifa. The hair color and bangs are different, and Nifa's eyebrows are thinner than that girl's.

Nifa's first appearance in the anime was in episode 1 of season 2. She was one of the soldiers present when Hange was holding Pastor Nick over the wall. She is also a member of Hange's squad.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
:4pacman: - Damn near everyone recognises him.
:4sonic: - Mario's Old Rival
:4cloud: - Popularised JRPGs in the West, protagonist of the most well known entry in the most well known JRPG series that isn't Pokemon. FFVII is one of the PlayStation's defining games. He's arguably the biggest PlayStation icon.
:4ryu: - Put fighting games on the map
:snake: - Revolutionised story telling in games. Also made Stealth games popular. MGS is one of the PlayStation's defining games.
:4megaman: - He's well known but he can't come close to claiming anything from the characters listed above him.
:4bayonetta: - A relatively new series (in comparison to the other third parties in Smash) in a niche genre.

In no particular order:
- Steve (Minecraft)
- Master Chief (Halo)
- Scorpion (Mortal Kombat)
- Sephiroth (Final Fantasy VII)
- The Dragonborn (Skyrim)

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902

Master Chief
Minecraft Steve
Scorpion
TF2 Characters (Probably Scout, Heavy and Pyro the most)
Overwatch Characters (Tracer, D.Va, Genji probably the most)

The biggest issue about all these "NO! X IS WAY MORE ICONIC THAN Y" discussions is that everyone is looking at it through their own bubbles. This website alone makes Smash look like this ultra huge competitive thing that everyone is talking about, until you step outside of that bubble and it's just that game where Super Mario, Sonic, and Pokemon fight a bunch of somewhat recognizable characters but you just can't put a finger on as to why they're recognizable, probably memes.

I suppose if you just limit it to those who indulge video games extensively it may be easier to discuss, but even then, not by much. Millions of people play Dota 2 a year, it has some of the largest prize pool in competitive gaming, huge stadiums are rented out for tournaments and while all this makes Dota 2 sound like the biggest thing since slice bread, most people here wouldn't even have a clue what it's about aside from, "it looks like League."

Ivander

Smash Legend
You all have good taste. That's what I can say when Shiva is chosen as the superior Streets of Rage character. He's definitely considered the anti-Axel and one of the villains with a more proactive role to the story next his boss Mr. X. Surprised no one wanted the boxing kangaroo unless you are still under the recent Tekken 7 Roger Jr. scare.

Anyways, this one is going to be a bit more obscure unless you are an SRPG nut or Arcanir Arcanir . This poll will be mostly about the Shining (Or Shining Force if you prefer) series of RPGs Sega related in the old days and post third party. Most of these are protagonists since I'd rather not dabble through the villains and side characters. Your choices are Shining Force's Max, Shining Force 2's Bowie, Shingles's Force 3's Synbios, and Toma from Shingles's Force EXA (who also appeared in Project X Zone).

I would argue that Julian is much more important to Shining Force 3 than Synbios, if not for the fact that he holds more connection to the next important SFIII character, Gracia, and the fact that he and his army are the biggest reason why all 3 characters and their armies were able to join together for the final battle.

D

Deleted member

This is tough. Master Chief, maybe?

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
CoroCoro dedicated several pages to Necrozma this month and how to catch it.

We also learned that Marshadow debuts in the TCG in the next set which features Ho-Oh and Necrozma as the mascots.

At this point, Necrozma is basically confirmed to be the villain in the movie and this could honestly lead into the theoretical stars next year.

The plot thickens.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
At the same time, how recognizable Cloud is is also being exaggerated
For most people he's just "that anime guy with a big sword".
Same for Ryu, he's the "fighting game dude"
While growing up, besides the obligatory "Mario, Pikachu, Sonic and Pac-Man"(who I'd argue are THE most iconic videogame characters), Mega Man(and Ryu by some extension too but MK was always the more well known fighting game here) was the only one from the Smash 3rd parties that me and the people around me knew about.
Anecdotes don't mean anything here.

Growing up, I didn't know a single person aside from elderly people who didn't know Cloud, Rayman, Crash Bandicoot, Lara Croft, and Spyro the Dragon. And most of the Tekken cast because it was super popular. Almost everyone I knew had Final Fantasy VII and Kingdom Hearts, and went to see Advent Children in theaters and bought it on DVD. I'd say people probably knew these guys more than Mario, Sonic, and Pac-Man, where I lived. Mario was barely on anyone's radar where I grew up (I had Super Mario Land and I knew one person who had Super Mario Land 2. My cousin was also an N64 kid so he had Super Mario 64, that was literally it though). I knew one person who had Sonic on the Mega Drive growing up, but Sonic's popularity in my neighbourhood didn't take off until the release of Sonic Heroes on the PS2 and Sonic Advance on the GBA.

This is largely because myself and most people in my neighbourhood (or rather, the multiple neighbourhoods I grew up in) grew up on the PS1. We had Game Boy systems, but mostly for Pokémon and spin-off games of popular movies and TV shows. And when the Game Boy Advance came around, for the Spyro and Crash games that were on it - seriously, the main reason I wanted a Game Boy Advance growing up were for the Spyro and Crash games on it - I'd even lost interest in Pokémon by this point. Sonic Advance and Sonic Advance 2 were also immensely popular for some reason where I lived. Popular enough to where people actually played the multiplayer.

Of course, I wouldn't try to say these characters are more iconic than the likes of Pikachu, Mario, Sonic, and Pac-Man. Because it's a very situational anecdote - again, I knew one person with an N64 growing up, everyone else had the PS1. By the sounds of it, you simply grew up with a more Nintendo-centric group of kids, so you guys wouldn't know characters like Cloud as much.

You also have to consider Ryu's appearences in none-SF games too(such has the immensly popular MvC series), and that most of his presence was in the arcade scene rather than home consoles. And on top of that just how much he is presence he has in pop culture in general too.

And also like you said, the term icon literally refers to the character's recognizability, however, I wouldn't say just in brand, but also when it comes to the character's general image.

Even if people don't know exactly who he is, but the recognize his general image and concept.

And although Final Fantasty is such a high selling franchise, Cloud isn't in most of the games, even if he is the most popular character overall. Same goes in the Kingdom Hearts games, he's in SOME of them, but even then, not in the main spotlight.

Not that it matters much to me, there's no way to actually prove any of this, but I think that saying that Cloud is WAY more popular than Ryu is outlandish. I'd say the same for Snake being equal to Ryu, and Mario, Pacman, and Sonic being in a three way tie.
Ryu has appeared in non-SF games, but they're not as big a deal as something like Kingdom Hearts, which is now an annual release franchise and has it's own extensive universe that people follow. And on-going mobile game that's immensely popular. Being part of a crossover with the entire core Disney universe is a much bigger medium of exposure than something like MvC or TvC.

Cloud being a main character or not in the games he shows up in is irrelevant too (by this logic Ryu isn't even comparable, he's the mascot character but games like Street Fighter don't have a central character because the central character will always be YOUR main. Cloud plays a respectable role in the lore of at least three completely different universes and everyone who plays those games will be exposed to his role in the story because story is the main focus of those games), the point is that he's showing up in all these games at all. He's marketable, him being in a game gets people interested in it.

Cloud also has Advent Children under his belt, which is one of the most well-known and successful video game to movie adaptations ever made (regardless of what you think of the movie itself - it's reception was mixed, but sales-wise, it was a success, and it's Blu-Ray release actually boosted PS3 sales).

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
CoroCoro dedicated several pages to Necrozma this month and how to catch it.

We also learned that Marshadow debuts in the TCG in the next set which features Ho-Oh and Necrozma as the mascots.

At this point, Necrozma is basically confirmed to be the villain in the movie and this could honestly lead into the theoretical stars next year.

The plot thickens.
They also teased a new toy for Marshadow
Though it's certainly the Z-Move

And I wanna know what Necrozma's deal is. Dude looks like he's in constant pain

D

Deleted member

According to this thread:
>You think Ryu is pretty iconic? Pfffft..

>Scorpion is pretty iconic

Classic thread.

Not saying that scorpion isn't, but the reasons why people saying that Ryu isn't can be applied to scorpion too.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
For those still keeping up with Corocoro, Necrozma got a feature in Corocoro. It's not much on its own as it just shows how you catch it and recommends which Pokémon to do it with (Sableye), but it is a bit curious that they devoted a set of pages for it like that.
Funny to see Sableye on that feature; considering the in-game wild Necrozma can't do **** to it due type immunities.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

-Lara Croft
-Master Cheif
-Scorpion
-Crash Bandicoot
-Kratos

I'd argue that Lara Croft is THE most iconic character who is currently not featured in Smash...

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I feel a lot of those may not happen besides the FE for switch for sure. I dont expect Animal Crossing this year. But looking at the Wario Ware part, I want rhythm Heaven on switch now
I like to live on the edge, so I put a bunch of 'never gonna happen' stuff on it.

I also had no idea what I was doing, so I added stuff as I thought of it.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Someone along the likes of Sonic and Pac-Man are recognizable to both name and appearance. You can say their names and people already have a clear idea of who you're talking about.

I think a lot of the general public would know who Mega Man is by his look, but may not know his name.

I would say Cloud falls under that same category, if a little higher or lower than Mega Man.

-Master Chief
-Lara Croft
-Steve from Minecraft (I don't want him anywhere near Smash, but Minecraft has made a big mark on the game industry)
-Crash Bandicoot
-Simon Belmont.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The problem with Mega Man is he's only recognisable to a specific generation, being the ones who played his games. Outside of that it's just gamers.

Most of the people who recognise Mega Man are in their 30's or above at this stage, Cloud on the other hand is recognisable to them and so many more.
Well... I put Cloud above Mega Man...

Moreover, I would argue that most non-gamers would be unfamiliar with any character below Pac-Man and Sonic on the third-party list more often than not. Or they'd maybe resort to calling the others "the guy with the big sword", "the robot guy", "the fighting guy" and whatnot.

Also, being prominent across like four generations and dozens if not hundreds of games is no small feat. Just because kids in the last ten years are less exposed to a character doesn't mean his existing prevalence faces erasure. Most people who know a character aren't just going to become unfamiliar with them, otherwise we'd also be having a different conversation about Pac-Man, and up until very recently, Cloud.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Figured I'd throw in my two cents as far as this question is concerned.

- Lara Croft
- Master Chief
- Steve
- The Angry Birds
- This last one is a toss up. Crash, Kratos, Scorpion, Dragonborn, Chell, Frogger, Gordon Freeman, and some others come close, but they feel like a step down.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157

Master Chief, Lara Croft, Steve? Angry Birds and Scorpion/Sub-Zero. No contest

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

We didn't say anything about X having a higher chance than Y.
That's not what I said though
Anecdotes don't mean anything here.

Growing up, I didn't know a single person aside from elderly people who didn't know Cloud, Rayman, Crash Bandicoot, Lara Croft, and Spyro the Dragon. And most of the Tekken cast because it was super popular. Almost everyone I knew had Final Fantasy VII and Kingdom Hearts, and went to see Advent Children in theaters and bought it on DVD. I'd say people probably knew these guys more than Mario, Sonic, and Pac-Man, where I lived. Mario was barely on anyone's radar where I grew up (I had Super Mario Land and I knew one person who had Super Mario Land 2. My cousin was also an N64 kid so he had Super Mario 64, that was literally it though). I knew one person who had Sonic on the Mega Drive growing up, but Sonic's popularity in my neighbourhood didn't take off until the release of Sonic Heroes on the PS2 and Sonic Advance on the GBA.

This is largely because myself and most people in my neighbourhood (or rather, the multiple neighbourhoods I grew up in) grew up on the PS1. We had Game Boy systems, but mostly for Pokémon and spin-off games of popular movies and TV shows. And when the Game Boy Advance came around, for the Spyro and Crash games that were on it - seriously, the main reason I wanted a Game Boy Advance growing up were for the Spyro and Crash games on it - I'd even lost interest in Pokémon by this point. Sonic Advance and Sonic Advance 2 were also immensely popular for some reason where I lived. Popular enough to where people actually played the multiplayer.

Of course, I wouldn't try to say these characters are more iconic than the likes of Pikachu, Mario, Sonic, and Pac-Man. Because it's a very situational anecdote - again, I knew one person with an N64 growing up, everyone else had the PS1. By the sounds of it, you simply grew up with a more Nintendo-centric group of kids, so you guys wouldn't know characters like Cloud as much.

Ryu has appeared in non-SF games, but they're not as big a deal as something like Kingdom Hearts, which is now an annual release franchise and has it's own extensive universe that people follow. And on-going mobile game that's immensely popular. Being part of a crossover with the entire core Disney universe is a much bigger medium of exposure than something like MvC or TvC.

Cloud being a main character or not in the games he shows up in is irrelevant too (by this logic Ryu isn't even comparable, he's the mascot character but games like Street Fighter don't have a central character because the central character will always be YOUR main. Cloud plays a respectable role in the lore of at least three completely different universes and everyone who plays those games will be exposed to his role in the story because story is the main focus of those games), the point is that he's showing up in all these games at all. He's marketable, him being in a game gets people interested in it.

Cloud also has Advent Children under his belt, which is one of the most well-known and successful video game to movie adaptations ever made (regardless of what you think of the movie itself - it's reception was mixed, but sales-wise, it was a success, and it's Blu-Ray release actually boosted PS3 sales).
Uhm, no, everyone that had a console, had a PS2(because lol buying original copies of the games lol), still, "The Big 4"(Pac-Man, Mario, Sonic and Mega Man), Pikachu and Co., the main MK cast, etc. were as iconic as they could get, and that's probably because of the multiple media references they had(and that one Sonic cartoon with the humans and ****). But hell if anyone knew what a Cloud was and Spyro was that cool dragon from a random game I found and no one else seemed to know where he came from but it was actually feally fun but too bad years later I found out the rest of the series wasn't like that and lost all hype for it and I'm getting sidetracked here.
The next console generation was more divided because PS3 didn't have pirated games and the Wii was just there as a Wii Sports Machine, so the XBox360 became one of the most popular and no one knew who Master Chief was outside of "he looks like that Samus girl".

My point is(I think, I lost track of where I was going with this half an hour ago): the console and its games' sales aren't actually that relevant and what you play isn't directly related to how recognizable a character is

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
That's not what I said though

Uhm, no, everyone that had a console, had a PS2(because lol buying original copies of the games lol), still, "The Big 4"(Pac-Man, Mario, Sonic and Mega Man), Pikachu and Co., the main MK cast, etc. were as iconic as they could get, and that's probably because of the multiple media references they had(and that one Sonic cartoon with the humans and ****). But hell if anyone knew what a Cloud was and Spyro was that cool dragon from a random game I found and no one else seemed to know where he came from but it was actually feally fun but too bad years later I found out the rest of the series wasn't like that and lost all hype for it and I'm getting sidetracked here.
The next console generation was more divided because PS3 didn't have pirated games and the Wii was just there as a Wii Sports Machine, so the XBox360 became one of the most popular and no one knew who Master Chief was outside of "he looks like that Samus girl".

My point is(I think, I lost track of where I was going with this half an hour ago): the console and its games' sales aren't actually that relevant and what you play isn't directly related to how recognizable a character is
I mean...that's been my point too?

Again, you're still just speaking strictly in anecdotes, I was saying you shouldn't do that because everyone has their own, completely different anecdote.

Cloud has had plenty of media references too, more than characters like Mega Man and the Mortal Kombat characters too. Again, he starred in one of the most successful video game to movie adaptations, to the point it pushed sales for the PS3 when it was brought to Blu-Ray.

D

Deleted member

I think now would be an appropriate time to bring up this statement from Sakurai:
Sakurai said:
...[T]here are only so many big-name titles we can work with at this point—mainly because we’ve covered most of those bases. Aside from the major globally-recognized franchises already featured in Smash, there really aren’t that many left.
I have to agree with him. There aren't many big-name, globablly-recognized franchises left that I can think of myself.

D

Deleted member

Lol, so, you know how in previous FE games, hacking the game to give 2 or more range to a weapon without a ranged animation would break the game? Echoes has none of that
Cloud has had plenty of media references too, more than characters like Mega Man and the Mortal Kombat characters too. Again, he starred in one of the most successful video game to movie adaptations, to the point it pushed sales for the PS3 when it was brought to Blu-Ray.
Number of references=/=reach of the character

I don't even think Advent Children was put on theathres here. Nor do I remember any references to him, especially as he only appears in one main game

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Lol, so, you know how in previous FE games, hacking the game to give 2 or more range to a weapon without a ranged animation would break the game? Echoes has none of that

Number of references=/=reach of the character

I don't even think Advent Children was put on theathres here. Nor do I remember any references to him, especially as he only appears in one main game
Then why did you say it did in your last post?

And you're being anecdotal again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom