• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Not in the slightest. It's probably just me being me, but I can't think of any reason for him to have fans. Granted, my admittedly limited exposure to the Marvelverse in general could be to blame and I simply came across versions people don't like. Only read Ultimate Spiderman and some Spider Gwen and Kamala Khan
Vision's appeal mainly stems from the fact that he's a synthezoid in the comics/android-cyborg-AI-cosmic power source in the MCU. He doesn't fit in. He isn't human, and yet he must fit into this world not made for him.

With the MCU it stems from the fact that he's easily the most powerful Avenger (at the moment, since Scarlet Witch isn't fully trained at this point). He knows he only exists due to the Mind Stone, and yet he knows nothing about it...no one does. Is he even alive? Is his life meaningful? That kind of thing. And yet despite all of the ambiguity, Vision is still a force of good.

For comics, I can't recommend Tom King's Vision enough. It's a twelve issue series and is one of the best things Marvel's put out in recent years.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Snake yes, I wouldn't say more so than Ryu.
They're about on par, IMO. Ryu is the quintessential fighting game character and does tons of crossovers, while Cloud is the quintessential JRPG character and is also no stranger to crossovers.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Vision's appeal mainly stems from the fact that he's a synthezoid in the comics/android-cyborg-AI-cosmic power source in the MCU. He doesn't fit in. He isn't human, and yet he must fit into this world not made for him.

With the MCU it stems from the fact that he's easily the most powerful Avenger (at the moment, since Scarlet Witch isn't fully trained at this point). He knows he only exists due to the Mind Stone, and yet he knows nothing about it...no one does. Is he even alive? Is his life meaningful? That kind of thing. And yet despite all of the ambiguity, Vision is still a force of good.

For comics, I can't recommend Tom King's Vision enough. It's a twelve issue series and is one of the best things Marvel's put out in recent years.
Thanks for the insight! Though my opinion hasn't really changed due to Vision's robotic personality and seemingly lack of emotion (This is more EMH, MCU's got more flair)

Oddly enough this doesn't bug me with Ultron who's grown a LOT on me thanks to EMH

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'll do something different. I'll list every Smash guest from who I feel is the most iconic to the least iconic.
Oh, this is fun.

1. :4sonic:
  2. :4cloud:

3. :4pacman:
  4. :4ryu:
  5. :4megaman:
  6. (For fun, since he has a trophy...)
  7. :4bayonetta:

I used a list of the best selling game franchises, so I ordered it by who would logically be known by the most people.
Such a shame to see Pac-Man so low, but the arcade days are long gone and the younger generations won't even know him.

Fun fact, Bayonetta wasn't even on the list. Really drives home how much she doesn't fit imo.
*I'm not sure Cloud himself would be that iconic, but I just went by the series sales as a whole.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh, this is fun.

I used a list of the best selling game franchises, so I ordered it by who would logically be known by the most people.
Such a shame to see Pac-Man so low, but the arcade days are long gone and the younger generations won't even know him.

Fun fact, Bayonetta wasn't even on the list. Really drives home how much she doesn't fit imo.
*I'm not sure Cloud himself would be that iconic, but I just went by the series sales as a whole.
I think you're severely underselling Pac-Man's iconicness. Sales aren't a good indicator, necessarily, because Pac-Man transcends that. Pac-Man isn't just a video game icon, he's a pop culture icon worldwide. Outside of Mario and maybe Pikachu, I guarantee he's the most recognized of all. His iconicness never diminished. Younger generations still know Pac-Man just due to him being literally everywhere.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
tbh Pac-Man's a tier of his own. Especially considering his appearances in non gaming media, which other characters are significantly less well... significant! ****, I'm still having trouble processing the fact that Pac-Man's the main villain in a canonical Kamen Rider movie

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I think you're severely underselling Pac-Man's iconicness. Sales aren't a good indicator, necessarily, because Pac-Man transcends that. Pac-Man isn't just a video game icon, he's a pop culture icon worldwide. Outside of Mario and maybe Pikachu, I guarantee he's the most recognized of all. His iconicness never diminished. Younger generations still know Pac-Man just due to him being literally everywhere.
Personally, I'd have put him at the top too, but hey. If I bump him up, I bump Cloud down, I just went by the charts.

1. :4pacman:
  2. :4sonic:
  3. :4ryu:
  4. :4megaman:
  5. :4cloud:

6. :4bayonetta:
Better?

Tbh Bayonetta isn't even iconic by any sense of the word, should I just take her off?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
If it were me I'd put it more like:

:4pacman:=:4mario:=:4sonic:>:4cloud:>:4ryu:=:snake:>:4megaman:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:4bayonetta2:

Threw Mario in because why not.

Snake yes, I wouldn't say more so than Ryu.
I would say Cloud is easily more well known/recognisable for multiple reasons:

-Final Fantasy is a much better selling franchise than Street Fighter, and Cloud is the biggest icon of the franchise even if he isn't the star of every game.
-Final Fantasy is immensely popular with the casual audience in the West, as is Kingdom Hearts (can't forget he's there too). Street Fighter is popular enough but it's popularity has definitely waned in recent years, because outside of Japan, fighting games have become increasingly niche due to the lack of arcades in the West and because people tend to favour games with accessible controls these days (of course, JRPGs aren't as popular as they used to be, but Final Fantasy hasn't really been effected by this).
-Cloud's presence in Kingdom Hearts should not be understated - it means he reaches Disney fans, which are a huge demographic. Kingdom Hearts: Union Cross (the mobile game) in particular is immensely popular and Cloud has multiple obtainable medals in his image in that game (and with more to come). Final Fantasy also has multiple immensely popular mobile games that Cloud makes an appearance in.
-Cloud is heavily merchandised, way more than Ryu is. There's way more figures, plushies, posters, etc, of Cloud than there is of Ryu, which I think is probably one of the biggest factors in how iconic a character is (the term "icon" in this context literally refers to the character being a recognisable symbol of a brand, so having lots of merchandise is obviously a big factor). Again, it helps that he's in Kingdom Hearts, since he gets plenty of merchandise based on that franchise too.
-Cloud has multiple designs, yet people always recognise him since his general appearance is unmistakable. Ryu is actually sometimes confused with other characters that have a similar design.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Personally, I'd have put him at the top too, but hey. If I bump him up, I bump Cloud down, I just went by the charts.

Better?

Tbh Bayonetta isn't even iconic by any sense of the word, should I just take her off?
Honestly I feel Cloud is much more iconic than Mega Man.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ

Better?

We need to get that Rayman emoticon on the Smashboards list of emoticons.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Honestly I feel Cloud is much more iconic than Mega Man.
Eh, give or take. Cloud has a one up with the FF 7 remake and Mega Man being dead other than X(?) showing up in the new Mahvel. Sure, I'm not really well versed in FF (haven't completely played any of em) but it was my understanding that Cloud only ever had the single game under his belt compared to Mega Man's like, fifty something.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Better?

Where's Master Chief

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Who needs Mister Chef from Haylow?:troll:

Better?

To quote M. Bison, "Of Course!"

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Oh, this is fun.

I think it really drives home how much fan tastes in general don't fit the level of knowledge by the general public that most of the selections for Smash end up at, considering that's how she ended up there. The Smash fandom is a bubble within a bubble, and even that bubble was in yet another bubble considering not many people saw her coming.

People don't choose characters based on how much weight they actually have outside the Smash fandom. They choose them based on their being the first thing they see when new games are announced, or based on having played a game once and enjoyed it. Then it bounces around the echo chamber a few times. It doesn't really matter how well a game did to the fandom, it just matters if they want it. That's nice in theory, but then they get into spats with other people using the same thought process for different characters than they do and they go all The Highlander on each other's butts. One way or another, the Ballot gave it to them.

At least Bayo is both entertaining and brings something unique to the table. Iconicism is not one of her qualities, but that doesn't mean she doesn't have any. You'd be hard pressed to pick a more wildly over the top character than her, and in the context of Smash that's honestly kind of impressive.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Eh, give or take. Cloud has a one up with the FF 7 remake and Mega Man being dead other than X(?) showing up in the new Mahvel. Sure, I'm not really well versed in FF (haven't completely played any of em) but it was my understanding that Cloud only ever had the single game under his belt compared to Mega Man's like, fifty something.
My thing is this. Cloud is the best known character from one of the best selling game series of all time, gets tons of merchandise (as Chikolad mentioned), and also has Kingdom Hearts and various mobile titles under his numerous belts.

Mega Man just doesn't compare. He's pretty much only iconic to gamers, and only for games. He doesn't get nearly as much push as Cloud does.

Plus it's telling that out of all third party games featured in Smash, only Mega Man and Bayonetta were completely left out of Wreck-It Ralph. :v

D

Deleted member

I just saw on Twitter some French guy is named Songohan.

I can't wait to name my daughter Samus.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
My thing is this. Cloud is the best known character from one of the best selling game series of all time, gets tons of merchandise (as Chikolad mentioned), and also has Kingdom Hearts and various mobile titles under his numerous belts.

Mega Man just doesn't compare. He's pretty much only iconic to gamers, and only for games. He doesn't get nearly as much push as Cloud does.

Plus it's telling that out of all third party games featured in Smash, only Mega Man and Bayonetta were completely left out of Wreck-It Ralph. :v
Wasn't Wily in beta footage for the movie?

I get the feeling that was less Mega Man not being popular and more something happened. Mega Man may be more a gamer's franchise, but not anywhere near on the same level of gamer niche as half the other things referenced.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

ITT: people underselling Mega Man's worldwide recognizability
That is one specific definition of chance. The way he used it was fine. No need to be pedantic.
The definition of chance that I'm using is a possibility of happening, as in it is likely to occur more so then it would be someone else. So by me saying Bomberman has a higher chance then he did pre-switch, what I'm implying is that the newer Bomberman game could affect his inclusion within Smash Bros because of both the game's success and the spike in Bomberman support that comes out of it.

Do I believe relevancy affects the inclusion for a character? Yes. Because we've seen it happen before on multiple occasions. While it doesn't affect them all, certain characters, like for example, the New Pokémon (Pichu, Lucario, and Greninja) are in the game because they're promoting the newer generation, and as a result, their inclusion was BECAUSE of something relevant.

I believe that I'm using the context of chance correctly. But really, I know you're just being a smart***. You're not very good at it. So I'll leave it at this, and you're free to reply but I have better things to do.
Nah it means Bomberman has a chance.
The 'chance' of something happening isn't always considered under mathematical algorithms as such other variables can be considered to speak of a character's 'chances' over others...such as 'muh relevance/recency'...
Maybe I'm just tired of hearing "X has higher chances than Y" during the entire pre-release speculation period
Finally, EO news
**** you too

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Rewatching that previous episode of AoT because it was quite the spectacular sight, and I was surprised to learn there was some great attention to detail regarding the plot twist.

Look at what happens right before Reiner and Bertolt transform:

Did you see what happens at the very end? Here's the paused version:

Yep, you actually see their Titan faces as the lightning flashes right in front of them. It's a pretty nice detail to verify who they really are before they turned into Titans.

------

And on a different note: @Professor Pumpkaboo did you catch female Armin in the last episode?

Her name's Nifa.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

Hey now let's be fair, Dr. Wily apparently was going to be in that movie and Mega Man did help influence Wreck-It-Ralph, so he's still got that going, which is more than you can say for Bayonetta. Then again, a Bayonetta reference would have been pointless considering the franchise and the character aren't even remotely iconic among people who play video games. Even characters like Blanka and E. Honda are far more well-known among gamers and they aren't even the main characters of Street Fighter 2.

Also, man Wreck-It-Ralph was an awesome movie.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
:4pacman:old people
:4sonic: coasting from early 90s
:4cloud: edgy and sad
:4megaman: deceased
:4ryu: headband 1
:snake: headband 2

large gap

:4bayonetta: who is this
:4roy: roy

Y'all might disagree with me in that series like SF and MG might be more prevalent than MM, but as the titular hero who received a very high frequency of games for about twenty years I'd argue MM is more ubiquitous and recognizable as a character.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Look, regardless of icon status, there is only one thing to note:

:4sonic:> Every other third-party character in terms of awesomeness.:seuss:

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

large gap

Y'all might disagree with me in that series like SF and MG might be more prevalent than MM, but as the titular hero who received a very high frequency of games for about twenty years I'd argue MM is more ubiquitous and recognizable as a character.
OK, sidetracking. I now feel the need to do something.

:4bowser:roadkill
:4bowserjr:other roadkill
:4falcon:flea market knockoff captain america
:4charizard:coasting from the late 90's
:4corrin:literally who
:4dedede:fat
:4darkpit:our hero is looking a little goth today
:4diddy:knockoff darn dirty ape
:4dk:darn dirty ape
:4drmario:cosplay mario
:4duckhunt:shut up shut up shut uuuuup
:4falco:dinner
:4fox:who dis
:4ganondorf:some old man ok
:4greninja:what
:4myfriends:headband eleventyseven
:4jigglypuff:does anyone even know this anymore
:4kirby:kiddie borb
:4littlemac:all he does is punch tho
:4link:no one remembers her
:4lucario:this edgy trash wasn't my childhood
:4lucas:were reaching literally who levels that shouldnt even be possible
:4lucina:is this a waifu
:4luigi:king of second bananas heres a star u tried
:4mario:no one cares
:4marth:wut dis anime
:4metaknight:is that a borb
:4mewtwo:ow the edg
:4mii:dumb self inserts yey
:4gaw:is this even a charater
:4ness:who
:4olimar:rlly who
:4palutena:no one cares about ur waifu weeb
:4peach:kiddie disney trash
:4pikachu:coasting off of the late 90's
:4pit:illiterate
:4rob:is this even from a vido gaem
:4robinm:wat anime dis
:rosalina:as if disney knockoff trash needed its own knockoff
:4feroy:anime trash
:4samus:samus i love you plz marry me
:4sheik:who
:4shulk:srsly who
:4tlink:dumb kidde zelda
:4villager:kiddie trash
:4wario:fat
:4wiifit:from a stupid grandma game what is this trash
:4yoshi:doesnt have feathers not a real dino
:4zelda:who
:4zss:ew get back in your armor

This has concluded Coricus Trash Comedy Roast Theater.

Ivander

Smash Legend
So the new characters in Heroes are looking interesting. I especially like the new Tomes. The ones that give additional stats for each adjacent ally. I also like the other Distant Counter skill. The one that gives DEF/RES+6 for being in combat at a distance. Anything to help make more Tanky characters to help level-up my weaker characters. Would especially love Fortress Defense for my Azama.
Also, after a bit of work, I actually have an All-Calvary team with 2 members having Hone Cavalry and the other 2 having Fortify Cavalry. At first it was Reinhardt, Gunter, Cecilia and Ursula. Now it's Reinhardt, Xander, Cecilia and Ursula. Now I need to save up my Feathers for Xander so I can get Siegfried. Also, I have a Caeda and a Spring Camilla with Fortify Fliers. Don't have Hinoka for Hone Fliers yet.
Also, wonder what Wrathful Staff is like. Would be interesting if it made Staff users good. That being said, I don't see Staff users being good until they get a Staff really based towards Offense, like a Staff-version of the Blade Tomes.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

large gap

The problem with Mega Man is he's only recognisable to a specific generation, being the ones who played his games. Outside of that it's just gamers.

Most of the people who recognise Mega Man are in their 30's or above at this stage, Cloud on the other hand is recognisable to them and so many more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom