• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I cant believe Im saying this but there is TOO MUCH stuff to do in Disgaea
I got ramune flavored candy from the world market

I'm mixing it with soda water to see if I can get ramune flavored candy flavored soda water
Ramune? heeeelll yeah, now you speaking my language

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
My brain can't process the WWE House of Horrors match.
Kek

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Well, in the spirit of the currently ongoing AoT season 2, I decided to change my avatar for the time being. That shot of Nanaba from last week's episode was too badass not to make into an avatar at some point.

Anyway, I've been playing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe so far, and I've been really enjoying. Although I used to firehop back when the original MK8 was thing, I'm already getting used to the lack of fire hopping quite well. In fact, I think I can finally go for Time Trials again, now that I might have a better shot at snagging some records.

One of my biggest surprises about the game so far is that they changed up the item balance in first place. Coins are still common, but now you can even get Bob-ombs in first place! That's very interesting. If you end up with a Bob-omb and a red shell is coming for you, you can just hold the Bob-omb behind or else an explosion will be triggered when the red shell hits the Bob-omb, and you'll get caught within the explosion in the process. You need to be strategic when releasing the bob-omb as the red shell comes toward you.

Oh yeah, you can get Triple bananas in first place again, but unlike in all Mario Kart games pre-8, the bananas will circle around you instead of lining up in a stack behind your kart. This means that when you are left with two bananas, you'll need to throw one of them behind you if you want to guarantee avoiding that red shell.

A minor nitpick I have about the game is that they got rid of the Mii Racer's facial expressions during the race. They now retain the same face throughout the entire race regardless of whether or not they win, lose, or get hit by an item. Without any facial expressions, the Mii can get a bit unsettling, but I guess I'll get used to it overtime.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I want Nintendo vs Capcom pls
Yeah, add that one to the list too. Would you prefer it more like Marvel and TvC or like Smash? It'd be interesting to see one group be translated to the other style on mass. Barring Mega Man and Ryu, as they've already been seen in Smash's style and all.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I like how personalized the bikes are in MK8. You can just pick whatever based on style instead of on whatever your character is assigned and just go for it. Karts/bikes, wheels, parasail all completely custom and independent of each other. And they run the whole glorious spectrum from normal vehicles to certifiably insane, too.

. . .You know, I've thought this since I first saw it, but I really think they modified the Female Inkling's model for this game. The hair tentacles are shorter than they are in Splatoon. Probably because if they were that long they'd start draping through all the cars.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Yeah, add that one to the list too. Would you prefer it more like Marvel and TvC or like Smash? It'd be interesting to see one group be translated to the other style on mass. Barring Mega Man and Ryu, as they've already been seen in Smash's style and all.
Do it like Street Fighter x Tekken and have Nintendo vs Capcom which is like Smash, and Capcom vs Nintendo which is a traditional fighting game.

You know, what happened to Tekken x Street Fighter? I assume Akuma in Tekken 7 is a test run for Street Fighter characters in a Tekken style game

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
That could be it. I wonder if Nintendo will release a patch in a future update to fix it.
Nintendo seemed like they were at least mulling over DLC for it in one interview even if they gave a non-answer, a patch doesn't seem entirely out there.

I mean, I wouldn't expect it less than a week in, but if there's some consistent issues I can see them getting on that. This and the friends list having to be restricted to Wii U size in order to do something seem like things they'd want to patch up.

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
I honestly have no idea what just happened.

Im pretty sure that may have been the worst wrestling thing I have ever seen. I've never seen WCW before, but I feel like that would have fit perfectly.
We already know how this match is going to end.

RKO
OUTTA
NOWHERE

*cue Roman levels of booing*

EDIT:
J I N D E R

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
How about Nintendo vs Capcom vs Bandai Namco vs Sega vs Square Enix vs Shounen Jump vs Disney vs Warner Brothers?

For real though, give each company four characters, and we're only up to 32.
Alright, I'll try my hand at it. This is basically MUGEN at this point though. I'll give you extra **** too.

Nintendo: Mario, Link, Samus Pikachu
Capcom: Mega Man, Ryu, Jill, Strider
Sega: Sonic, Bayonetta, Akira, Vectorman(let me dream)
Namco: Pacman, Jin Kazama, Nightmare, Dig Dug
Square Enix: Cloud, Lara Croft, Chrono, Slime
Disney: Spider-Man, Vader, Mulan(only popular princess that fights), Goliath (I don't think Disney would let Mickey be in a fighting game)
Warner Bros: Batman, Scorpion, Superman, Wonder Woman
Shonen Jump: Goku, Luffy, Jotaro and Naruto I guess.

I'd prefer to just stick to game companies though.

Semi clone characters: Luigi, Protoman, Ken, Gohan, Part 3 Dio, Venom, War Machine, Akuma

Unlocks: Chun-Li, Sephiroth, Heihachi, Bowser, Ganon, Frieza, Vegeta, Joseph, Mega Man X, Zero, Sub-Zero, Zero Suit Samus, Flash, Green Lantern, Captain America, Misturugi, Kage, Sarah or Jackie Bryant, Pai, Zoro, Sanji

Final Boss is the contract to make this game even remotely feasible.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I mean, most of them aren't bad games to play. Gameplay-wise they are mostly fine - only except for Sticker Star and SF Zero.
I was referring to that.

A lot of them falter because of reasons unrelated to the game's quality itself imo.
Again, disagree.

On a fundamental level, I think a game's quality shouldn't just be measured on the polish of the game mechanics. If we did that, we'd get a lot more rehash sequels in the industry. Things like content and identity matter too. Addressing some examples:

-Mario Sports Superstars was pretty lukewarm and boring as the sports outside of horse racing were just worse versions of the same thing available on the same system. It was also very rushed and lazy in many ways. The most jarring thing about it is the messy use of the voice clips - Rosalina and Bowser have two different voice actors in this game because they thought it'd be a good idea to re-use voice clips of two of their voice actors rather than one (they even use them in the same animation), and IIRC some of Baby Mario's voice clips are unfiltered for some reason, meaning he sounds like normal Mario (while Charles Martinet has done public Baby Mario impressions in interviews and what not, he actually does a normal Mario voice for game recordings and those clips are filtered to a high pitch). It also locks the "Star" and "Superstar" versions of characters (i.e - versions of a character with better stats) behind an amiibo paywall and you can't even get the specific ones you want since Booster Packs give you random ones. You also have to unlock a Star/Superstar version separately for each character. In general, the balancing in this game is also pretty bad and unorthodox. They tried to make it so that characters were really strong and really weak in a sport, and middling in other sports, but it actually lead to some characters being completely overpowered in some sports (for example, Superstar Rosalina's stats are nearly maxed out in Tennis, while the next best character in Tennis, Superstar Yoshi, has 8 stat blocks less). Even talking about polish, this game wasn't up to snuff at all, especially at full price for a 3DS game.

-Mario & Sonic at the Rio Olympics was mostly solid in terms of how the game played, but the game got really mediocre reception. This was because of some really restrictive decisions the dev team made. For one, the main single-player content REQUIRED you play as your Mii for the majority of it - and at that point, why is it even a Mario & Sonic game? There were also no Dream Events, which is like having a Mario Kart game with only basic Mario Circuit tracks and no items. And probably most insulting of all is the character restrictions - only Mario and Sonic are playable in every event on the 3DS version, with other veterans being playable in two, and newcomers in one. Veterans are playable in all events in the Wii U version, but newcomers are still only in one. New characters is the main thing people have wanted from these games for years, and then we finally get them and they may as well not be playable, especially given how the single-player is structured. Also, the fact that the second game in the series (both of it's versions) had much more robust single-player content than any other games in the series is still really bad. Honestly, Sochi 2014 was probably even worse than Rio.

-Super Mario Run I shouldn't really need to explain, it had a very obvious backlash. I do want to note though, that not everyone has an issue with this game having a price tag full stop. For me personally, I don't mind it having a price tag. My issue is more like MK8DX where I flat out think they are charging too much for it. You can 100% the main story in 2-3 hours, and the rest of the game is just Toad Rally grinding for buildings. That's it. There are mobile games I can get for €2 that offer more in-depth gameplay and more content than this game does, easily. Then Nintendo announces they don't plan to update the game. Then they do update it, tease new characters, and...it's four recoloured Yoshis. And extra buildings to grind for. Just everything about this game has been them consistently missing it's potential.

-Super Mario Maker 3DS removed the online functionality of uploading your levels online and the ability to use Mystery Mushroom costumes, two of the biggest features of the original game. While the editing tools still work, there is no point if you can't share your work. The game might as well not have existed (aside from the fact it still sold well on brand name alone). IIRC the game didn't even have a way to transfer levels to the Wii U version so Wii U players couldn't use it as a companion app (and if that was the intention, it should have been a free companion app and not a full price release). The worst part about this is that, by Nintendo's own words, it wasn't a technical limitation, it was an intentional choice because they for some reason think StreetPass is huge outside of Japan and nerd conventions.

-Yoshi's Woolly World is probably admittedly the least offensive thing I mentioned and might be a reach. The game itself still works just fine and it has a little bit of extra content from everything I've heard. The main thing is just that the yarn aesthetic is so important to this game's charm, and this seemed to be the reaction of most people who played the Wii U version. The 3DS just can't represent it well, most of the game barely looks like yarn anymore so you may as well just be playing a standard Yoshi game. I know it sounds like a reach and I still recommend the game to anyone who doesn't have a Wii U but has a 3DS, but most Wii U players did have a very lukewarm reaction not because it was a port of a game they owned, but because one of the biggest appealing factors of the game just wasn't even there, meaning most people would still recommend the Wii U version.

-Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival is self-explantory - mediocre party game locked behind a massive paywall (I got the old Limited Edition bundle for €7 the other day though, go me).

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Speaking of FE heroes, Hector and Tharja have their wallpapers for May
Still lame these things are just using preexisting artwork.

Thajra's isn't even her Heroes art.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Do it like Street Fighter x Tekken and have Nintendo vs Capcom which is like Smash, and Capcom vs Nintendo which is a traditional fighting game.

You know, what happened to Tekken x Street Fighter? I assume Akuma in Tekken 7 is a test run for Street Fighter characters in a Tekken style game
That would be cool. Especially if they actually had some different character choices. That way each feels more unique. On one hand, I'd really like to see the likes of Samus, Link or Ganon in a Marvel styled game. On the other, I thought it would be cool to see what someone like MMX or Strider would play in a Smash title. Don't get me started on Dante.

I assume that Akuma is indeed a test for Street Fighters in Tekken's style. But with so much stuff going on between them, namely mainline Tekken games Namco's version of the crossover keeps getting pushed to the side for more major projects. I wonder if they'll also have weird ass versions of Mega Man and Pac-Man.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Well you were wrong :p

I was too tho
Jinder actually being booked shockingly well.
The Maharaja Hype Train is real now.

lul Bray needing three dudes to win.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Oh yeahhhhh

Watch as Miyamoto is the Stan Lee of these movies and always has goofy cameos
Admit it. You would watch any movie regardless on how good or bad it was if it had Stan Lee and Miyamoto cameo in the same shot.

Also, is this thread still into clickbait titles? Man, is this one a doozy...
"The global horror Obama left behind: Opinion"
Obama left behind: Opinion
:rotfl:

I wish I was joking. But good lord, the wording sounds like something you'd see a NeoGaf or other forum member post on a horror topic.
"The global horror Miyamoto left behind: Wii Music"

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Admit it. You would watch any movie regardless on how good or bad it was if it had Stan Lee and Miyamoto cameo in the same shot.

I wish I was joking. But good lord, the wording sounds like something you'd see a NeoGaf or other forum member post on a horror topic.
Ironically NeoGAF would be ripping that political thread apart super hard because they pretty much entirely skew Liberal to the point that anyone who even tries to say something moderate gets completely bashed and anyone that said something like THAT would be instantly banned.

You're not wrong about the wording, though. That Nintendo variant would not look out of place AT ALL.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

This is one of those instances where putting the section name before the headline is a much better option.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I bought some orbs today in heros and got another Marth, this ones 4 stars, 5 star Azura, and 5 star Ryouma.

Pretty good pull and I really wanted those two units. Hoping for the rest in the focus, but these two will be really good.

Ryouma skills are absolutely insane.

PhantomKite

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Genericsandwich
3DS FC
4425-2089-1228
It's strange that one nintendo branded mobile game is panned for being overpriced and quickly forgotten and Fire Emblem Heroes is still crack, even a few months after release.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
There was a problem fetching the tweet

So, Breath of the NES is being taken down.

But PushDustIn PushDustIn discovered something interesting. He basically used Nintendo's takedown notice as a springboard to guarantee the game's success. He plans to revamp the assets to make them original and release it again. The buzz generated will make basically make sure that the game is successful when it releases again, and he can now profit off of it too.

More people should do this. :p

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
why would anyone tempt the law like that. Thats like putting yourself in a lion pin covered in meat
Because they haven't sued anyone for fan games. They just get rid of them, if they continued without changes they'd be sued by Nintendo doesn't go for that.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
why would anyone tempt the law like that. Thats like putting yourself in a lion pin covered in meat
It takes advantage of the fact that Nintendo can't *sue* them without looking like major assholes.

A takedown notice doesn't have money involved. Suing a non-profit game developer makes for some terrible PR.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
There was a problem fetching the tweet

So, Breath of the NES is being taken down.

But PushDustIn PushDustIn discovered something interesting. He basically used Nintendo's takedown notice as a springboard to guarantee the game's success. He plans to revamp the assets to make them original and release it again. The buzz generated will make basically make sure that the game is successful when it releases again, and he can now profit off of it too.

More people should do this. :p
Not a surprise that Nintendo still thinks fan-games are evil...

But using this as a means to gain exposure for an original project is actually quite clever...

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
It takes advantage of the fact that Nintendo can't *sue* them without looking like major ********.

A takedown notice doesn't have money involved. Suing a non-profit game developer makes for some terrible PR.
well eh, I guess my thinking is a bit wrong then

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
why would anyone bait the law like that. Thats like putting yourself in a lion pin covered in meat
That's what I was saying.
Here's my "evidence" to support my speculation. It's not confirmed the developer did this on purpose!

From an interview with the developer.
So let’s start off with a simple personal one first. Who are you? What is Winter Drake’s background here?
I’m a 20 year old college student studying marketing. Before this project, I’ve released two games, one of which made it to Steam (Faron’s Fate)
and

Unfortunately, based on Nintendo’s recent track record with fan works, that might have accidentally made it more likely this game will get shut down. Do you worry about that?
As I’ve mentioned elsewhere, I am fully ready to remove the borrowed Zelda assets and replace them with my own original characters :) I have a lot of ideas and I’m not going to give up simply because I can’t continue as a fangame
I think he saw the success of Zelda Maker, MOTHER 4 and decided to follow suit in order to create buzz.

It's a dangerous thing to attempt, and one of these days someone's going to actually get sued.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
For any Steven Universe Fans, the pipe's burst again.

We have the first two minutes of every episode of the next steven bomb. We also get a look at the new gems and their plan (sort of)

Gonna spoiler an image of them and a link to the video for it:

This arc is looking pretty interesting.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
I do four races on the animal Crossing track and I got all seasons but Spring and I love the Spring tracks music and I really wanted to hear it:005:
That's what I was saying.
Here's my "evidence" to support my speculation. It's not confirmed the developer did this on purpose!

From an interview with the developer.

and

I think he saw the success of Zelda Maker, MOTHER 4 and decided to follow suit in order to create buzz.

It's a dangerous thing to attempt, and one of these days someone's going to actually get sued.
Oh nintendo is sueing someone in Japan for 10 mil yen, a Japanese go-kart company called, shocker, MariCar for copyright infigment because they rent out costumes of characters and use them in picture to promote business. Dunno if its on going or over

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
You forgot 2 reasons
Scottish accent and good rival to Samus. Both are most well-known by casuals for sex appeal and shoot missiles :p
Jill's a better rival for Samus though. Their games are about isolation and everything wanting to kill you. They also both kill monsters and do the shoot bangs.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Oh nintendo is sueing someone in Japan for 10 mil yen, a Japanese go-kart company called, shocker, MariCar for copyright infigment because they rent out costumes of characters and use them in picture to promote business. Dunno if its on going or over
The court ruled against Nintendo the first time, saying that "MariCar" is not a commonly used abbreviation for Mario Kart. Nintendo has challenged it, and dunno how the new one is going.

(Funny thing about the renting costumes bit. They actually got away with that as the one renting costumes was not MariCar, but a shop next door. :p)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom