• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Chrom had his shot in Project X Zone 2, so he'll get one another day :p

And yes those are all shouenn jump.

And that warner brothers line up.

3 cartoon characters and then ******* scorpion lol. ( I think this is the MK one but could be wrong)

But are those 4 really warner characters? Bugs is, but scooby is hanna barbara unless warner owns that. Don't know if Batman would work being DC to though.

Why not the Warner brothers from animaniacs though?
I was under the assumption Hanna Barbera was owned by Warner. Warner also owns DC, as well as Netherrealm, hence Batman and Scorpion.

Edit: Double checked. H-B is indeed owned by Warner.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
You know, I have nothing better to do. Roster time.

Nintendo:
Mario
Link
Pikachu
Chrom because let me have this at least dammit

Capcom:
Mega Man
Ryu
Chris Redfield
Hunter from Monster Hunter

Bandai Namco:
Pac-Man
Heihachi
Dig-Dug
Agumon

Sega:
Sonic
Bayonetta
Jack Frost
Akira

Square-Enix:
Cloud Strife
Lara Croft
Slime
Agnès

Shounen Jump (I hope these guys are SJ anyway...) :
Goku
Naruto
Luffy
Ichigo

Disney:
Mickey Mouse
Captain Jack Sparrow
Captain America
Darth Vader

Warner Bros.:
Bugs Bunny
Scooby-Doo
Batman
Scorpion

Otherwise known as Licensing Hell.
Agnès? Not the two better people, Ringabel and Edea?

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I believe most of Nintendo's controversial decisions are about the hardware and player experience.
Not about their games. Nintendo is usually spot-on with what players want in-game.

@Shishœ
If you asked Nintendo fans they'd say Nintendo is horrendously off the mark in terms of what players want in-game as well.

That said, true to Sturgeon's Law they're only correct about 10% of the time and the other 90% is split between them either wanting things that aren't entirely doable or even logical for one reason or another or just them not even having any idea what they want in the first place.

I feel judging by the Switch's sales and demand so far that Nintendo has been rather on the mark this time around in terms of what "players" as a general entity want out of the hardware as well, just not the specific subset of "hardcore gamers" that make themselves most vocal on the internet. There's some iffy things about the system features and such, but that ain't hardware.

I decided to check the Switch stock at a Gamestop I visited yesterday just for the heck of it. For the anecdotal lulz, they had a bunch of display boxes but they were sold out. Naturally other places may not be, but I figured I may as well check something like that myself just to see, LOL.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Correct me if I'm wrong, since I've only played the demo of Bravely Default, but isn't Agnés the main character?
Its Agnes, Ringbel, Edea and Tiz. All four of them are the main characters. Ringabel plays a big part and he shows in in Bravely Second

In bravely second the main peeps are Tiz, Yew, Magnoia and Edea

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, since I've only played the demo of Bravely Default, but isn't Agnés the main character?
Tiz and Edea are slightly more relevant since they are both actually a part of Bravely Second.

Agnes being the main character is arguable too since Tiz is the playable character you start with.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Its Agnes, Ringbel, Edea and Tiz. All four of them are the main characters. Ringabel plays a big part and he shows in in Bravely Second

In bravely second the main peeps are Tiz, Yew, Magnoia and Edea
I meant like, the single main character. Like in Super Mario games, the main characters are generally Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser, but Mario is the definitive main character.

Edit: Zebei cleared it up.

If you asked Nintendo fans they'd say Nintendo is horrendously off the mark in terms of what players want in-game as well.

That said, true to Sturgeon's Law they're only correct about 10% of the time and the other 90% is split between them either wanting things that aren't entirely doable or even logical for one reason or another or just them not even having any idea what they want in the first place.

I feel judging by the Switch's sales and demand so far that Nintendo has been rather on the mark this time around in terms of what "players" as a general entity want out of the hardware as well, just not the specific subset of "hardcore gamers" that make themselves most vocal on the internet. There's some iffy things about the system features and such, but that ain't hardware.

I decided to check the Switch stock at a Gamestop I visited yesterday just for the heck of it. For the anecdotal lulz, they had a bunch of display boxes but they were sold out. Naturally other places may not be, but I figured I may as well check something like that myself just to see, LOL.
I feel like that's the wrong place to use Sturgeon's Law. Generally the whole "90% of everything is ****" rule applies to media, not people's opinions, which are much harder to quantify that way.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I meant Nintendo as a whole, so they are still a minority.

I was referring weird decisions like Switch friend codes and the Switch not having a charging grip by default.
I was just using Miyamoto as an example (he has a LONG history of being tone deaf), in general there have been a lot of games people have found to be tone-deaf and lacking in recent years, like:

-Star Fox: Zero
-Paper Mario: Sticker Star & Paper Mario: Colour Splash (really at this point they're just directly shafting Paper Mario fans)
-FE Fates (even before getting into the localisation debate, the game just generally didn't have a very well written story and the characters were very hit and miss. I still really like it overall myself though)
-Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam (the game isn't completely terrible but it was pretty lukewarm and overall, was pretty conceptually flawed - what was the point of crossing the two universes if they weren't going to go all out with it? How did they not see people would be disappointed with that?)
-Mario & Sonic at the Rio Olympics (both versions - I know it's developed by SEGA mainly but Nintendo is involved)
-Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash
-Mario Sports Superstars
-Super Mario Run
-Super Mario Maker 3DS
-Yoshi's Woolly World 3DS
-Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival
-Also amiibo in general, to be honest

And those are just the cases I can think of where the majority can agree on them. There's also notable criticisms of their big titles that most people forgive, though myself (and I know a sizable number of other people) think are lacking and should be improved upon (including things like Smash and Mario Kart).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

And saying that made me remember there was some Nintendo crossover content for a Dead or Alive game on the 3DS.

Dead or Alive is like, the second oddest game I've seen to have Nintendo stuff in it after Bayo in terms of target audience, LOL.
That crossover content was the Pyrosphere stage based on Other M, which DoA developer Tecmo/Team Ninja also worked on. And then there's Fatal Frame V (co-owned by Tecmo and Nintendo), which had costumes based on Zero Suit Samus and the Hyrule Warriors incarnation of Zelda.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I was just using Miyamoto as an example (he has a LONG history of being tone deaf), in general there have been a lot of games people have found to be tone-deaf and lacking in recent years, like:

-Paper Mario: Sticker Star & Paper Mario: Colour Splash (really at this point they're just directly shafting Paper Mario fans)
-FE Fates (even before getting into the localisation debate, the game just generally didn't have a very well written story and the characters were very hit and miss. I still really like it overall myself though)
-Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam (the game isn't completely terrible but it was pretty lukewarm and overall, was pretty conceptually flawed - what was the point of crossing the two universes if they weren't going to go all out with it? How did they not see people would be disappointed with that?)
-Mario & Sonic at the Rio Olympics (both versions - I know it's developed by SEGA mainly but Nintendo is involved)
-Mario Sports Superstars
-Super Mario Run
-Super Mario Maker 3DS

And those are just the cases I can think of where the majority can agree on them. There's also notable criticisms of their big titles that most people forgive, though myself (and I know a sizable number of other people) think are lacking and should be improved upon (including things like Smash and Mario Kart).
Not to mention Zip Lash.

"What's that? You want a Chibi-Robo game more like the original, or even Park Patrol at this point? Okay! Have a generic 2D platformer. By the way, buy this or the series dies, thanks."

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Not to mention Zip Lash.

"What's that? You want a Chibi-Robo game more like the original, or even Park Patrol at this point? Okay! Have a generic 2D platformer. By the way, buy this or the series dies, thanks."
Saw that game (with the amiibo) on clearance for €10.

I bought the standalone amiibo when it came out for €15, and now of I've learned not to to jump the gun on buying Nintendo products if they aren't Mario or Zelda.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
LEGO Dimensions in a nutshell.
I'm gonna miss Dimensions
Not to mention Zip Lash.

People actually played Chibi-Robo?

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I meant like, the single main character. Like in Super Mario games, the main characters are generally Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser, but Mario is the definitive main character.

I feel like that's the wrong place to use Sturgeon's Law. Generally the whole "90% of everything is ****" rule applies to media, not people's opinions, which are much harder to quantify that way.
If you told people that 90% of people that disagreed with their opinions in politics were stupid they'd probably yell at you and say it's actually 100%.

The way I figure an opinion isn't really worth all that much if someone never gave it in the first place, LOL. If an opinion isn't incorrect for simply being "LOL game sux" with no clarification, then at the very least it has far too little elaboration to actually be determined either way. If I can't tell why someone has an opinion and they're being abrasive about it, it gets a little comfier considering it not even worth regarding.

Likewise people tend to insist they know best for a company when they have no idea about the complications that could be caused by certain situations and refuse to even consider the possibility of them.

Nintendo games aren't infallible, but just because not every single one of their ideas is a winner doesn't mean every single one of the fan's ideas is a winner for not being Nintendo's ideas.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Saw that game (with the amiibo) on clearance for €10.

I bought the standalone amiibo when it came out for €15, and now of I've learned not to to jump the gun on buying Nintendo products if they aren't Mario or Zelda.
I think the most baffling part is that they sold a non-bundled version in general. The amiibo was the only thing most people cared about, and maybe the game would have sold a bit more.

I always thought that was dumb on their part, like they wanted it to fail for some reason.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

-Mario Sports Superstars
-Super Mario Run
-Super Mario Maker 3DS

Other M & Federation Force

yeah...

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
I just went through some of Smash 4 past social threads for some nostalgia.

Ah, good times, when Nintendo-Spider151 was a complete waifu*** who sought trouble by himself and was actually active on social forums rather than in a RP group.

And of course, to relive the good old Merlin curse.

Oh, how have times changed.

It was was the dark ages.

Bye now.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Other M & Federation Force

yeah...
Dunno how I forgot the Metroid franchise.

Probably because Nintendo has been shafting it so hard.

I also just remembered Pokkén Tournament.

I paid full price and bought the arcade controller.

I have only booted it up once to this day and have not once even thought about going back to play it.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Ringabel is the only character that matters.

Although Edea is good too

Brogue-en matt incoming?

Cesaro as a heel is going to be weird to me after being a Cesaro mark. Dammit im rooting for too many heels as is why did you have to add two more

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I just went through some of Smash 4 past social threads for some nostalgia.

Ah, good times, when Nintendo-Spider151 was a complete waifu*** who sought trouble by himself and was actually active on social forums rather than in a RP group.

And of course, to relive the good old Merlin curse.

Oh, how have times changed.

It was was the dark ages.

Bye now.
Holy **** I forgot about the Merlin thing. One of the best things I ever did.
Dunno how I forgot the Metroid franchise.
ChikoLad confirmed for Nintendo Incarnate. :p

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

-Mario Sports Superstars
-Super Mario Run
-Super Mario Maker 3DS

I mean, most of them aren't bad games to play. Gameplay-wise they are mostly fine - only except for Sticker Star and SF Zero.
I was referring to that.

A lot of them falter because of reasons unrelated to the game's quality itself imo.

D

Deleted member

I believe most of Nintendo's controversial decisions are about the hardware and player experience.
Not about their games. Nintendo is usually spot-on with what players want in-game.

@Shishœ
Let him be with his lover!
Speaking of FE heroes, Hector and Tharja have their wallpapers for May
Hector is gonna help me count down to Echoes's release
He truly is the MVP

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I mean, most of them aren't bad games to play. Gameplay-wise they are mostly fine - only except for Sticker Star and SF Zero.
I was referring to that.

A lot of them falter because of reasons unrelated to the game's quality itself imo.
I would say that in the case of something like Ultra Smash, quality was DEFINITELY an issue. It had virtually none of the features previous titles had, despite being on objectively superior hardware.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
If anyone's upset about Miyamoto's decision making, I think I saw it brought up by someone on NeoGAF that he might be pulling back a bit and letting other people take charge. Since I'm pretty sure he's being sent to work on the movies and such, I can see that happening.

At the very least, Star Fox Zero was made to justify the existence of the Wii U and the Switch doesn't really have a gimmick that needs that much shoehorning to justify (HD Rumble and split Joy-Con multiplayer can both be added much more unobtrusively to even games not initially meant for the system like MK8DX). We have a gimmick game anyway in the form of 1, 2, Switch, but overall I think the devs can play with the toys of the system without feeling like they're forced into it this time, so that kind of desperation isn't necessary.

As for the filler games, that's the thing I'm least sure on but with Nintendo's recent focus on new IPs they may be taking teams that have spare time and sending them to work on those instead of the filler. There's also the consolidated pipeline, which would give Nintendo's teams more time to make full games in general.

I see some potential there for Nintendo to polish things up moving forward. There's no guarantee on anything but the circumstances don't seem like they're dooming things to a repeat like many people say either.

When the most controversial and seemingly gimmicky games they make for the Switch are new IPs instead of spinoffs, then at the very least they're corralling their experimentation to places where they can be judged by their own merits instead of dragging existing IPs down and dragging the experimentation down for being held to their bars. And the unreleased one out of the "gimmick" games has an option to turn said gimmick off and actually looks like it's had a ton of thought and care put into it anyway.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Let him be with his lover!

Hector is gonna help me count down to Echoes's release
He truly is the MVP
Yeah, but Chrom will help me count down to E3, where FE Warriors footage will undoubtedly be shown off, as well as possibly a teaser for the Switch title. :p

D

Deleted member

Yeah, but Chrom will help me count down to E3, where FE Warriors footage will undoubtedly be shown off, as well as possibly a teaser for the Switch title. :p
Actual release and playing the game>Teaser trailers

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I would say that in the case of something like Ultra Smash, quality was DEFINITELY an issue. It had virtually none of the features previous titles had, despite being on objectively superior hardware.
Ultra Smash would have done really well as a budget title. Like $30-40.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
If anyone's upset about Miyamoto's decision making, I think I saw it brought up by someone on NeoGAF that he might be pulling back a bit and letting other people take charge. Since I'm pretty sure he's being sent to work on the movies and such, I can see that happening.
Movies? What movies?
Ultra Smash would have done really well as a budget title. Like $30-40.
It was a budget title.it was like 40 bucks. Still a ripoff

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I got ramune flavored candy from the world market

I'm mixing it with soda water to see if I can get ramune flavored candy flavored soda water

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
You know I kind of...went dark for a couple months? I wasn't able to really create anything because of extenuating circumstances.

But now, I'm relieved to announce that things have gotten back on track.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Capcom:
Mega Man
Ryu
Chris Redfield
Hunter from Monster Hunter
I feel like Morrigan should be here considering how Darkstalkers always gets in to crossovers and she's the poster girl.

3 cartoon characters and then ******* scorpion lol. ( I think this is the MK one but could be wrong)
Batman's inherently a Comicbook character. He's more like the bridge between Scooby/Bugs and Scorpion considering how he's been portrayed in a light hearted manner and a very dark manner. That and he's crossed over with both Scooby and Scorpion anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom