• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
Yeah that's really surprising. Thankfully, there's going to be plenty of character interaction in-game (according to Capcom) to compensate.

I'm more concerned about the fact that autocombos do the same damage as manual ones.

That's really not how they're supposed to work.
"But we gotta appeal to the casuals!"
Capcom really need to get good at making tutorial modes.
Simple and traditional worked fine in MvC3.

Memes can be funny if done right instead of being shoehorned for cheap laughs and feeling out of place. Remember the Powerpuff Girls reboot with it's poor meme humor? That's the problem I have with them.

Would you be fine with Mario doing dabs in Super Mario Oddysey? Also, other video game companies don't do that all. Ratchet & Clank had no meme jokes, Street Fighter had no meme jokes, Halo had no meme jokes, Final Fantasy had no meme jokes, etc. Why should Nintendo get a free pass?

It's better to have standards to be that one kid that laughs a "nice funny outdated meme top kek.".
It's funny how ignorant this comment is.

Why does a story mode matter in a fighting game?
Because not everyone likes to play online and story modes have pretty much become a standard with Tekken, BlazBlue, Mortal Kombat and Injustice. The latter two in particular.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Yeah that's really surprising. Thankfully, there's going to be plenty of character interaction in-game (according to Capcom) to compensate.

I'm more concerned about the fact that autocombos do the same damage as manual ones.

That's really not how they're supposed to work.
Yeah, that's a bit bothersome, but I'm sure they'll find a way to balance it out. Even they have to realize that's silly.

It's more content for the game. Plus, not everyone wants to play online.

NRS kinda set the bar for story modes in fighting games, so if you're going to do one then you might as well go all out.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Localization isn't censorship. Ogling high school girls in bikinis is weird, so it was taken out because it'd make a good portion of the American audience uncomfortable.
But what about the face petting in Fire Emblem, where they hurting anyone? I found them relatively harmless, if not, funny.

I guess we'll will just have to agree to disagree. Like Nintendo of America will just have to learn that they can't keep this up forever. There's a reason why 4Kids TV some enough damn for One Piece's popularity in the West years ago.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
re: autocombos

The autocombos are just basic magic series stuff, aka unoptimal combos. So it shouldn't be too big a deal.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
But what about the face petting in Fire Emblem, where they hurting anyone? I found them relatively harmless, if not, funny.

I guess we'll will just have to agree to disagree. Like Nintendo of America will just have to learn that they can't keep this up forever. There's a reason why 4Kids TV some enough damn for One Piece's popularity in the West years ago.
The face petting crap made Japanese players uncomfortable ffs

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I was incredibly happy the face petting thing got axed. It was creepy. You shouldn't be able to pet people in a ****ing war simulator. It's not Pokémon.

And once again you immediately doubled down. "Let's agree to disagree as long as everyone knows Nintendo is wrong."

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
In the end of the day, some memes are good and inappropriate uses of them are bad.

But I'll just let you all have your opinions since I can't have mine.

And wasn't a topic about how bad Nintendo of America is at meming on their social media anyway? Let's talk more about that ChikoLad ChikoLad .

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I can't believe this whole thing happened just because I've explained to someone my issue with TMS's localization.

What have I done?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
But I'll just let you all have your opinions since I can't have mine.
You're welcome to have your opinion.
But this:
It's better to have standards to be that one kid that laughs a "nice funny outdated meme top kek.".
Just stinks of elitism bull****.
Your opinion is not greater than anyone else's. Your opinion is not the "right" opinion.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
You're welcome to have your opinion.
But this:

Just stinks of elitism bull****.
Your opinion is not greater than anyone else's. Your opinion is not the "right" opinion.

And your opinion on Splatoon and Kirby Planet Robobot is any different because?

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Memes are good Yomi.

Do not question the memes.

You will be smelted down to your finer parts.

And rebuilt into the next genetic abomination meme animal.

D

Deleted member

Can we please stop pretending localisation changes(aka Woolseyism) is inheretly bad?
Not only is it necessary because japanese culture doesn't translate literally to western ones, without it, we would never have gotten stuff like Kefka.
It does more good than bad most of the time because it's essentially a revision of the original script, allowing certain plot events to make more sense(i.e.: Black Knight's fight with Ike in RD) and better characterization.

And on a sidenote regarding this, dear god, I hope the FE: SoV localisation team saves Faye because her only character trait seems to be wanting Alm's ****

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Memes are good Yomi.

Do not question the memes.

You will be smelted down to your finer parts.

And rebuilt into the next genetic abomination meme animal.
And then we can call it Goliath, because that's a good name for a genetically modified beast.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Because he doesn't deride those that enjoy them or act like his opinion is superior.
And where did I say any of that?

I just said they need to be more appropriate and less shoehorned with their usage of memes. Just like everyone thinking that Nintendo of America's Twitter meming is inferior to the Sonic the Hedgehog Twitter's meming yesterday.

You know what, let's just drop it right here. I'm on a tight schedule and have things to do. Better than pushing this any further.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Can we please stop pretending localisation changes(aka Woolseyism) is inheretly bad?
Not only is it necessary because japanese culture doesn't translate literally to western ones, without it, we would never have gotten stuff like Kefka.
It does more good than bad most of the time because it's essentially a revision of the original script, allowing certain plot events to make more sense(i.e.: Black Knight's fight with Ike in RD) and better characterization.

And on a sidenote regarding this, dear god, I hope the FE: SoV localisation team saves Faye because her only character trait seems to be wanting Alm's ****
You misunderstand. She just misses the Dong Armor from Gaiden.

:V

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779

I just said they need to be more appropriate and less shoehorned with their usage of memes. Just like everyone thinking that Nintendo of America's Twitter meming is inferior to the Sonic the Hedgehog Twitter's meming yesterday.

You know what, let's just drop it right here. I'm on a tight schedule and have things to do. Better than pushing this any further.
just so you clear heres where you said eople who enjoy memes have no standards
"It's better to have standards to be that one kid that laughs a "nice funny outdated meme top kek."."

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Welcome to the Internet, where one little thing you say can be blow up out of proportion if you happen to post at the wrong time.
'Still better than Batman V Superman tough.
kappa.png

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
well, bad wording will do that to ya
Is asking for a more authentic and faithful localization too much to ask?

That's exactly why I praise FUNimation for doing a far better job with One Piece than the mediocrity that is 4Kids TV.

But this has gone far long enough. Dropped, done, vanquished. We will just have to accept that we are different people with different viewpoints.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

You literally said "It's better to have standards than to be the one kid who laughs at outdated memes." It's implying that anyone who doesn't agree with you is a standardless child. If that's not devaluing another's opinion and holding your own as superior, I don't know what is.

I see a lot of suggested dropping and not a lot of actual dropping. :4megaman:
That tends to happen when those who suggest dropping the subject add even more fuel to it in the same post.

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
That tends to happen when those who suggest dropping the subject add even more fuel to it in the same post.
So what started this little ****fest anyways? I came late and she was not happy about it. and my phone won't load previous pages for some reason.

Edit: two reds in the bushes. Run blues. Run!

Edit 2: aaaaaand stay ded

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Think it should best for me to leave, for good. I don't belong here and I clearly don't fit in either. Been nothing more than a best than a model citizen. Nothing more than an outsider in a see of good people.

Not like anyone will miss me. Unlike Yellowlord, I'm serious about this. And I will be joining Rie's place too. Save the good
byes for someone that deserves it.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Think it should best for me to leave, for good. I don't belong here and I clearly don't fit in either. Been nothing more than a best than a model citizen. Nothing more than an outsider in a see of good people.

Not like anyone will miss me. Unlike Yellowlord, I'm serious about this. And I will be joining Rie's place too. Save the good
What? No don't go. A lot of us here love you to death. No one here wants to see you go, me least of all. Even if you don't feel like you 'fit in' a lot of people here still love what you do, those people are misfits like you and we care for you. Don't let one day make a decision for you to leave for good cause in all honesty I scroll through constant pages of this thread just to figure out what your next twitter poll is.

I mean I guess you, of course, can do what you want but losing you is just another list of a long list of names of amazing users who have left this place. I'd rather not see you on that list.

D

Deleted member

Seriously, this is all because of memes? Why are we even taking this so seriously?

>Nintendo

Ah, now I see why.

Well, I'll miss you being here if it means anything. Then again, I'm a bit of an outsider too and I know that people would be happy if I left.(I'm not going to though.)

But at least we still have contact on twitter, I should probably use that more.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

Well if you'd go the list of people I visit SmashBoards for would be pretty small and also the only thread I frequent would be dead.
So please don't leave. We all love your posts really. No need to go based on probably one debate.
If you'd leave my interest in this place would die as well but if you feel uncomfortable here I can't stop you I guess.

You're not an outsider to me or a lot of other people in the thread.

I don't care if I just took the drama bait I don't want you to leave

EDIT: I've thought about leaving as well due the age gap between you old people and me but I never did it because outsider or not the people here are friendly and loving to everybody that is as well and you Ms Shinobi are part of this family.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well there go most of my recommendations.

If you're alright with including socio-political sciences, you might consider CGP Grey. If the nitty gritty of old-school computing/video gaming tech sounds good, have a look at The 8-Bit Guy. If neither of those sounds good, eat a cookie.

No, really. Cookies are delicious.
I don't really consider CGP Grey as science, he focuses more on society and politics (Doesn't matter either way as I'm subscribed to him too. :p)

I'll check out 8-bit Guy though.

Are you watching Deep Look? If not, you should be.
Alright that's another.

Potholer54 makes some pretty good science videos, I'd say. Especially when it comes to debunking myths such as cellphones frying your brain, global warming not being real, and vaccines causing autism.
And three.

Thanks, I'll check out these three.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Absolutely LOVE the big push Nintendy is giving to ARMS. I'm REALLY looking forward to it and the more exposure the better.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
It'd be cool if Mario Kart 8 Deluxe had free maps for racing and battle so that it doesn't divide the player base. New racers and kart parts could be paid with real money though since they're just customizable stuff that doesn't effect gameplay.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

Waaaait wait wait.
Where did this come from now.

Please don't leave. A lot of people will miss you, including me.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I mean

You kinda have all of these Marvel and Capcom characters in one game.

Might as well do something with them that's more than "GRRRRR LET'S FIGHTING LOVE!!!".

I realise this concept is lost on a Smash forum since we kind of ate up "Super Smash Bros. Missed Opportunities for the console of Missed Opportunities", but there's no doubt these crossover games are always better when they have at least a small degree of character interaction.

At the very least, I wish more fighting games had animated ending scenes like in Tekken or something.

Speaking of which:

Localization isn't censorship. Ogling high school girls in bikinis is weird, so it was taken out because it'd make a good portion of the American audience uncomfortable.
I think this is a gross exaggeration. Plenty of games have gotten away with teenage characters having bikinis like this in the West, like Tekken for example (which just so happens to be an extremely popular and iconic franchise that even non-gamers know about).

Lili from Tekken is 16 yet when Tekken 6 was new and being promoted, they did this to promote the game in an American magazine:

That outfit isn't in-game (it appears in TTT2 though, as part of the Swimsuit DLC), but this one is:

Of course she isn't the only teenage female character in the series with risqué outfits. Every single character in TTT2, be they male, female, or a bear, has a swimsuit outfit - these were a limited pre-order DLC bonus on the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of the game, but they were actually standard unlockables in the Wii U version, ironically - not to mention outfit customisation is a huge feature in these games, so you can make them wear all sorts of things. This feature is quite popular the world over.

I think the reason Nintendo does it is because they have to maintain an especially family friendly image, not like the other companies, which is fine. Honestly, I never heard controversy over what characters wear before I started hanging around in Nintendo circles, and I've still not really seen it anywhere else. The only video game controversies I ever heard were over actual mature content like sex scenes in games or excessively violent games like Manhunt. So I think people exaggerate how big a deal a 16 year old in a bikini is in the West.

I'm personally of the opinion that teenage characters in swimsuits aren't so big a deal as long as the context is appropriate and as long as the characters don't do anything explicitly sexual. In the case of a fighting game or RPG, they're probably kicking someone's butt so it's not like you can say they're not being represented as strong and independent characters.

If I'm being honest, I'd probably be a little annoyed (similarly to AwesomeAussie27 AwesomeAussie27 's feelings on the Tsubasa thing) if, for example, Tekken games started censoring their characters like that. One of my favourite things about the franchise is the cultural diversity in the characters - not only have they started actually making characters speak their native language in all versions of the game (it used to be just the Japanese and Chinese characters, while everyone else would speak English regardless), but the characters generally represent and adhere to their native cultures in other ways too.

Taking Lili as an example - she's from Monaco (a small independent state off the coast of France). You might think that makes it weird that she flaunts around in a bikini for Tekken 6 promotion and wears other risqué outfits, and has a somewhat flirtatious personality to boot - but in France and Monaco, the legal age of consent is actually 15. And Lili is the daughter of a wealthy oil entrepreneur to boot, so she kinda gets to do whatever she wants because father isn't around a whole lot. As far as she's concerned, she's an adult, but some of the other characters on the roster don't treat her as such - while one or two actually do ogle over her because she's of age where they're from too.

Lili is actually 18 now IIRC - but that's not censorship, because there's always been a timeline in Tekken, and characters have always aged.

So yeah, there are certain instances where the fan service on a teenage character can be a bit much and have no context to justify it, but in other cases, it can actually be a more realistic portrayal of the character. While I don't think every game ever needs to have teenagers in skimpy outfits, I also think this absolute totalitarian view of "no, teenage characters must always be censored if they wear a swimsuit, no exceptions" is bad too, because it does limit some genuinely interesting ideas for writing characters. Lili is my favourite Tekken character (or one of them anyway) and my main, and I personally feel if she had been subject to the same kind of censorship as characters like Tsubasa just because she's OK with wearing a swimsuit and being flirtatious with older men, I don't think I'd have ever really gravitated towards her as a character. The way she started off as this 16 year old girl who did whatever she wanted (while still having sweet and pure intentions underneath it all), yet then went on to get older and start to develop a bit more maturity, is actually a large part of her charm as a character, and that would be lost if Tekken games weren't willing to push these kinds of boundaries. There are other examples of this in the series too (Xiayou being a standout example).

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004

Wait, wha?

"Not like anyone will miss me" is a lie. Plz stay.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

A lot of people here will miss you. You're one of the nicest people I've ever met on this website.

Don't let one little hiccup put you down.

Chrono.

Hooooly ****.

We're actually getting this. It's actually getting localized. It's not some bad joke made by someone. A Gundam Vs title is getting localized and released in North America officially.

Oh man, if this comes out close to MvCI it'll be even tougher for me to get that game, as a huge Gundam fan I definitely will be getting this day one no questions asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom