• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Definitely hyped for Mario Kart tomorrow... don't know if I'll get it physically or digitally though.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
If here's one thing that Nintendo of America made that makes me want to die, it's this.

Thank God DJ Master Seal stayed in the depths of Hell where he belonged.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Something about Nintendo being the out of touch elder on Facebook still using text memes is kind of charming in its own right.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Genyo Takeda is retiring. Truly the end of an era, as he was among the last of Nintendo's Old Guard still working at the company. I hope he has a happy retirement.

For those who don't know, Takeda mainly worked on the hardware side of Nintendo, having a hand in a lot of the consoles. As well, he was pretty much solely responsible for creating Punch-Out!! after he pitched an arcade game that used two monitors to get rid of excess stock.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Something about Nintendo being the out of touch elder on Facebook still using text memes is kind of charming in its own right.
At least they aren't using maymay arrows outside 4Chan. That we can be thankful for.

Nah, I only bought them up because I remember those horrible TMS ads exist.

You are a horrible person for bringing those up

Bad Azure, bad! *whacks with a paper fan*

Why are talking about NoA and memes again? Did they do something again.
I only mentioned it because their strange localization decisions match their meh meming well.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I like to see Nintendo as the sweet and adorablely old grandfather that just doesnt know and is adorablely unaware. While Sony is the teen thats trying to hard to be serious

Last edited:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Yes watching five asians in a spandex suit are what I like to call a good way to spend my tjme
Now I've got this mental image of them all trying to fit into the same spandex suit.

Best thing I've thought-seen all morning.

It's a word now.

I was hoping for something more obscure. :p
I'm subscribed to pretty much all the big ones - Minute Earth, Minute Physics, It's Okay to be Smart, VSauce among others.
Well there go most of my recommendations.

If you're alright with including socio-political sciences, you might consider CGP Grey. If the nitty gritty of old-school computing/video gaming tech sounds good, have a look at The 8-Bit Guy. If neither of those sounds good, eat a cookie.

No, really. Cookies are delicious.

Hey @ChikoLad

There was a problem fetching the tweet

You think I'm right or wrong that Tsubasa's hipster costume represent Nintendo's "memes" well?
That's the outfit?

Honestly doesn't seem so bad to me, what's the problem?

Side note, you misspelled Tsubasa.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700

They exceeded expectations.
It's great that Switch had sold very well in March despite with lack of games and mixed reviews at launch, having some issues on the Joy Cons, dock scratch screen, a video from a user who often post console defects, game glitches videos, post a Switch fail video that got a ton of views, and some trying to cause negativity on Switch's sales etc. I'm not saying that we shouldn't deny or concern about Switch's sales and whether third party games are coming to Switch or not, but with the official numbers being revealed, it is set safe say that those Switch or even haters, and cynicists were really gotten over their head this time.
ARMS got an edgy front cover for the latest EDGE Magazine.

I don't really consider this cover that edgy... unless you are talking about Spring Man's face expression.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
That's the outfit?

Honestly doesn't seem so bad to me, what's the problem?

Side note, you misspelled Tsubasa.
Because it goes against what the original Chapter 2 was all about. Tsubasa was assigned to a job as a gravure (bikini) model to take pictures. But she was too afraid as posing in a bikini made her nervous or scared. Most of the chapter revolved around said photographer kindapping every single ex-bikini model, including Maiko (who was recently kidnapped). So she had to build her courage to model in front of him to change us negative view on "bad models" and turn against the Mirage Gangrel that was controlling him.

My problem with this is how the removal of the bikini modeling not only change the story drastically but it ruins her character development in this chapter. This is the problem with Nintendo of America's localization most of the time. So they are trying to say that girls get embarassed about acting like a wannabe black girl throwing gang signs around and being "rebellious"? Get out of here.

And yes, I know.

Last edited:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Because it goes against what the original Chapter 2 was all about. Tsubasa was assigned to a job as a gravure (bikini) model to take pictures. But she was too afraid as posing in a bikini made her nervous or scared. Most of the chapter revolved around said photographer kindapping every single ex-bikini model, including Maiko (who was recently kidnapped). So she had to build her courage to model in front of him to change us negative view on "bad models" and turn against the Mirage Gangrel that was controlling him.

My problem with this is how the removal of the bikini modeling not only change the story drastically but it ruins her character development in this chapter. This is the problem with Nintendo of America's localization most of the time. So they are trying to say that girls get embarassed about acting like a wannabe black girl throwing gang signs around and being "rebellious"? Get out of here.

And yes, I know.
So not the outfit itself per se, but the usage.

Fair enough.

And I know too.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
She had character development? I thought she was an all around annoying and hated character. Remember her trying to find the cat? yeah, thats when I stopped caring about her
The cat scene, yeah. That side story was definitely weird.

Still doesn't excuse "Ya Gurl Tsubusa" with her turned cap and her homeslice poses though.

It's Nintendo of America we are talking about, they'll never stop censorship. Even they are afraid of male swimsuits of all things.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I still stand by the fact that modern lingo like "bruh" and "dawg" have no place in a game about Japanese pop culture. But this is the same localization company that thought Doge (the ****tiest meme of all time) jokes were fine in The Kegend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes.

I don't think actual Japanese citizens even talk like that....

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The cat scene, yeah. That side story was definitely weird.

Still doesn't excuse "Ya Gurl Tsubusa" with her turned cap and her homeslice poses though.

It's Nintendo of America we are talking about, they'll never stop censorship. Even they are afraid of male swimsuits of all things.
Ever think that maybe what they were uncomfortable with was a high school girl being a bikini model? Yeah, she's eighteen, but still...she's a high schooler.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
wow, that's ****ing racist
Sadly, that's my problem with the localization of Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

Nintendo of America knew better and they could have done something less insensitive. I was cringing hard when I seen it instead of being able to take the scene serious.

I hope they don't handle Xenoblade 2 just as badly, or any other RPG for that manner.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Nintendo of America knew better and they could have done something less insensitive. I was cringing hard when I seen it instead of being able to take the scene serious.

I hope they don't handle Xenoblade 2 just as badly, or any other RPG for that manner.
I think she was referring to the fact that you equated "throwing up gang signs" with "acting like a wannabe black girl"...

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I still stand by the fact that modern lingo like "bruh" and "dawg" have no place in a game about Japanese pop culture. But this is the same localization company that thought Doge (the ****tiest meme of all time) jokes were fine in The Kegend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes.

That was the best part.

Then again that game was dreadful

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever

..i was talking about what you said

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Going through Madarame's art musuem so far and just... wow... I don't think I've ever gone hooked up to a game like this. Like, Persona 4 got me hooked up, and 3 was great and all. But man this game! Atlus did a good job in the details on pretty much EVERYTHING!

And here I though it was an exaggeration when people say Atlas was the King of JRPGs as a way to state Persona 5's superoity over FFXV but damn!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Nintendo of America, please keep memes as far away from a script as possible.

I don't want to see Donkey Kong being the next Harambe for cheap laughs.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC

I aint saving you from this.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC

It was just one little god damn meme on a mother****ing bookshelf. Like hell, you act like The meme robbed you, killed your wife. burnt your house down and stabbed your dog. How far up your ass is that meme hating stick?

Last edited:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
Apparently MvC:I's story mode is 2 hours long.

That's, uh... not too great.
Yeah that's really surprising. Thankfully, there's going to be plenty of character interaction in-game (according to Capcom) to compensate.

I'm more concerned about the fact that autocombos do the same damage as manual ones.

That's not how they're supposed to work.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
..i was talking about what you said
Well in that case, I apologize if I've said anything that come off as offensive. Could have worded it better, that's all.

But that's exactly what happened in the game and they could have done anything but that.

Even I would have been fine with something more "American" like Prada clothing and no gang signs.

Fact of the matter is, that censorship is and will never be good no matter how you defend it. This is the problem gamers have with certain companies, especially Nintendo.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Why would he be the next Harambe? He is the one who fires in spurts after all
Yeah, and if anyone, Yoshi's the one who would be shot. He's a wild animal holding a baby, after all. :p

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It was just one little god damn meme on a mother****ing bookshelf. Like hell, you act like The meme robbed you, killed your wife. burnt your house down and stabbed your dog. How far up your *** is that meme hating stick?
Memes can be funny if done right instead of being shoehorned for cheap laughs and feeling out of place. Remember the Powerpuff Girls reboot with it's poor meme humor? That's the problem I have with them.

Would you be fine with Mario doing dabs in Super Mario Oddysey? Also, other video game companies don't do that all. Ratchet & Clank had no meme jokes, Street Fighter had no meme jokes, Halo had no meme jokes, Final Fantasy had no meme jokes, etc. Why should Nintendo get a free pass?

It's better to have standards to be that one kid that laughs a "nice funny outdated meme top kek.".

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well in that case, I apologize if I've said anything that come off as offensive. Could have worded it better, that's all.

But that's exactly what happened in the game and they could have done anything but that.

Even I would have been fine with something more "American" like Prada clothing and no gang signs.

Fact of the matter is, that censorship is and will never be good no matter how you defend it. This is the problem gamers have with certain companies, especially Nintendo.
Localization isn't censorship. Ogling high school girls in bikinis is weird, so it was taken out because it'd make a good portion of the American audience uncomfortable.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Memes can be funny if done right instead of being shoehorned for cheap laughs and feeling out of place. Remember the Powerpuff Girls reboot with it's poor meme humor? That's the problem I have with them.

Would you be fine with Mario doing dabs in Super Mario Oddysey? Also, other video game companies don't do that all. Ratchet & Clank had no meme jokes, Street Fighter had no meme jokes, Halo had no meme jokes, Final Fantasy had no meme jokes, etc. Why should Nintendo get a free pass?

It's better to have standards to be that one kid that laughs a "nice funny outdated meme top kek.".
Halo and Street Fighter have definitely had meme jokes
Why does a story mode matter in a fighting game?
Because games like Injustice have really well done story modes?

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC

you cant just use dabbing as an example right after doge lol. Just get over it, really. Its a harmless meme and if this makes you go into a rage, something is up. Hell, Disgaea 4, I think, has the meme "I put on my robe and wizard hat" and you dont see people getting pissed at that

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

Considering SMTIV: Apocalypse also had their characters use terms like that (ex. Homegirl, homeslice, etc.), that probably was more Atlus' direction then NoA's and was probably trying to convey a similar manner of speech to western audiences if I were to guess. Also, IIRC, NoA didn't even dub TMS in-house, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong there.

Last edited:

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779

bruh saying im sorry and then doubling down on the statement isnt a smart descision

and just to be clear you litteraly just went "im sorry if i offended but **** you im right"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom