• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MF Viewtiful

Son MF
Switch FC
SW 4028 6305 8614
If the leak is anything to go by, the space gem looks really strong. Just a free wall for strong combos anywhere on the screen.

The active tag system being free to use is really nice, allowing for flexibility and freedom. I'm not quite a fan the background change during the gem activation. Looks gaudy and distracting even.

Edit: Also just noticed there's a 2/3 round system in there. Very interesting change.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
The Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite trailer looked pretty neat. I suck at traditional fighting games but if they are making it easier for newcomers I may pick it up.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
The Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite trailer looked pretty neat. I suck at traditional fighting games but if they are making it easier for newcomers I may pick it up.
I suck at traditional fighters too, but if I have the chance, I might pick it up. It looks pretty dang interesting. As long as Spider-Man is a character, I know who I'm maining if I can get my hands on the game.

With traditional fighters, I've also played the original Mortal Kombat and a couple of the Street Fighter 4 line games. My characters in those are Sub-Zero, Chun-Li, Cammy, Akuma, and Dan.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I suck at traditional fighters too, but if I have the chance, I might pick it up. It looks pretty dang interesting. As long as Spider-Man is a character, I know who I'm maining if I can get my hands on the game.

With traditional fighters, I've also played the original Mortal Kombat and a couple of the Street Fighter 4 line games. My characters in those are Sub-Zero, Chun-Li, Cammy, Akuma, and Dan.
I've played Mortal Kombat 9 and I own Street Fighter 5. I've only played two hours of the latter because 1.) there wasn't much to do at launch, and 2.) I got way too busy during that time.

D

Deleted member

Maybe a Switch port with Fox as a guest character, a la GCN SoulCaliber II.

Heck, throw in Link, Samus, and Captain Falcon.

Let the competitive MvC community figure that one out.

Shut up I can dream.
That makes me think, wasn't a MvC game planned to get released on the GCN or the Wii and to figure Samus and Link but finally got scrapped?

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
That makes me think, wasn't a MvC game planned to get released on the GCN or the Wii and to figure Samus and Link but finally got scrapped?

No, you're thinking of Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

For the record, the only reason it didn't happen was because they were tested on the PS2 version and that caused some problems.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
I've played Mortal Kombat 9 and I own Street Fighter 5. I've only played two hours of the latter because 1.) there wasn't much to do at launch, and 2.) I got way too busy during that time.
Yeah, from what I heard, SFV wasn't that good at launch unless you were a diehard SF fan. But eh, I don't own the game and I could be wrong on that. Either way, it looks more polished and entertaining now. Alas, I only own nintendo systems :cry: My old roommate owns SFV, but we never got to play it together. Hopefully I'll be able to play it one day.

Speaking of SFV, is there an official tier list for that game, or no?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
This morning should be much better. Glad that nightmare is over. Anyways, Dillon had won, still proving that he's the most wanted eShop character. Mallo had a decent following while Sakura Samurai was more wanted than a Culdcept character.

Next up is without a doubt he Last of 3DS before it's on to the Wii U. Most are digital while one is an upcoming 3DS game that some people like @_Sheik is excited for. Your choices are Rusty from Rusty's Real Deal Baseball, Eddy from Fluidity, Harmoknight's Tempo, and Tethu from the Grezzo RPG Ever Oasis.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

D

Deleted member

MvCI gameplay looks fine, like a mix of MSH and TvC. A certain lightsaber-weilding red robot with a very long, blond ponytail aside, what I want most at this point is for the game not to be rushed, and Sigma being DLC better not be an indication of a rushed product.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
No, you're thinking of Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

For the record, the only reason it didn't happen was because they were tested on the PS2 version and that caused some problems.
I''m still disappointed that happened. Wonder if someone has modded them into the PC version.
Yeah, from what I heard, SFV wasn't that good at launch unless you were a diehard SF fan. But eh, I don't own the game and I could be wrong on that. Either way, it looks more polished and entertaining now. Alas, I only own nintendo systems :cry: My old roommate owns SFV, but we never got to play it together. Hopefully I'll be able to play it one day.

If you have a PC you could play it on that

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The fact that Hawkeye no longer uses Ant-Man despite lots of things being ported seals the deal for me.

Ant-Man is as good as confirmed.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

I should pick it again soon. I like what I played, but I wasn't able to play much.

Maybe I'll also pick up Street Fighter 2 on the Switch when it gets a price drop.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
No it isn't. Battle Mode was in the original game. Two of the modes in MK8DX were also in MK8 and are unchanged. All they did was add the arenas they should have had in the first place, and add 3 new modes and two items. The 3 new modes aren't even mechanical reworks either - one of them is just "Balloon Battle with only Bob-Ombs", the other is "Coin Battle except there is only one coin at a time and you chase the person who has it". These two modes were made using tweaks to existing code that could be done in no time at all. The only extra work they had to do was re-program AI (which doesn't take too long either because they had an AI system in place, they just had to re-program it a bit for the new arenas), and add the UI, and of course general bug testing to be safe. Renegade Roundup may have had more original programming to it, but part of the function here is also having a permanent Piranha Plant which was an item in the original game.

The items are hardly anything new either. For one, the Super Leaf already had a model in the original MK8:

As for it's function - it's literally an on-demand trick ramp, with the same "stealing" property Super Mushrooms have in Battle Mode. The code was there already.

Boo had a model in the game already too since they were stage hazards in one of the courses. This applies to King Boo's model as well, they just made a crown for him. The Boo item may have been programmed from scratch though in terms of what it actually does.

Dry Bones also had a model in the original game as he was also a stage hazard, and they probably just used Koopa Troopa's animation skeleton (...lol) for his playable appearance in MK8DX.

The Inklings are clearly just pulled from Splatoon itself, they're clearly the same model and the two games are made by the same team IIRC, so it makes sense.

So yeah, I'm not seeing a mechanical overhaul. Almost everything was made using existing assets or mechanics.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, depends on perspective. Still could have objectively been a better deal for all though, that would most likely mean more profits for Nintendo too.
I don't want to argue the whole thing, except for this part. You're massively underscoring the amount of work needed for the Battle mode changes.

"They only had to reprogram AI" feels easy when you put it like that, but that's a ton of work. Artificial intelligence is an extremely finicky thing to work with and removing just one variable from a program can lead to really strange and unexpected behaviour. You can't just copy-paste AI behaviour to a different situation and expect it to work with just a few tweaks. Even simple programs will go haywire if you try doing that, complex AI code is a whole another story.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Battle mode
Balloon battle- same as usual
Bob omb blast- explosive fu
COIN RUNNERS and SHINE THIEF are not the same

It's more like King of the hill but you have to move.
To add to @redfeatherraven point
Battle mode in Mario Kart 8 vanilla was very dull.
Because
  • We only had balloon battle
  • The tracks were inspired and flat
  • Only good thing about that the customization made it cool
Battle Mode in MK8D
  • New and old battle arena tracks
  • They're big enough to work with the different Battle Modes
  • Renegade Roundup is a great addition (Reminds me of the time when I used to play Cops and Robbers)
  • Takes out Fire hopping (Thank God) adds Purple Sparks
  • Fixes framerate problems
I was talking about from a programming standpoint. It didn't take them long at all since a Shine in this game is a modified coin object. It's not a mechanical overall.

Bug fixes should have been in the original game. Hell, I'd argue they should still patch the original now that they fixed those bugs. It's bad form to make people pay €390 for a bug fix.

I don't want to argue the whole thing, except for this part. You're massively underscoring the amount of work needed for the Battle mode changes.

"They only had to reprogram AI" feels easy when you put it like that, but that's a ton of work. Artificial intelligence is an extremely finicky thing to work with and removing just one variable from a program can lead to really strange and unexpected behaviour. You can't just copy-paste AI behaviour to a different situation and expect it to work with just a few tweaks. Even simple programs will go haywire if you try doing that, complex AI code is a whole another story.
I know that, but the AI system was already made. They just had to add pathfinding instructions for the new maps. That shouldn't take them too long.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
View attachment 128418
WE TOEI NOW
Ant Man is the one character I can think of that an MCU influence works out for, already miffed Rocket isn't an Aussie anymore
To be fair it's still possible we get a comic-styled or Avengers Assemble Scott. Ultron doesn't look too much like his MCU self, but rather the comic/mobile titles/possibly Avengers Assemble version.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
To be fair it's still possible we get a comic-styled or Avengers Assemble Scott. Ultron doesn't look too much like his MCU self, but rather the comic/mobile titles/possibly Avengers Assemble version.
From multiple pics of Ultron I saw, people weren't happy with how his design was changed to fit the MCU in Avengers Assemble, plus it didn't have his traditional mouth.
But **** everything if I don't get my goddamn Mahvel Riders. Joe and Ant Man would be an ideal team

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
MK8D is weird in how its Battle Mode was made sure to be the biggest ever but then they decided to be the absolute laziest they could when it came to characters, karts, tracks and amiibo costumes

Last edited:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
Ultron looks OD. hope Capcom keeps improving the game.

also BTW there is nothing wrong with reusing assets, Marvel has been doing this for its entire existence lol

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm not going to get MvCI until they add Bilbo Baggins, who's my favorite marvel character.

Also, I don't mind simplified inputs as long as traditional inputs are in too. Wish the 'leaker' mentioned that the first time around though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Some other stuff people are noticing. Ultron kinda resembles Nova with the dive move and hard hitting normals, Strider has a new Hyper for in the air, Ourobouros is only 1 bar but slower, Hawkeye can juggle with 3 arrow types and Infinity Stones are like Ultras in SFIV, as in the meter builds up by getting hit

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
also BTW there is nothing wrong with reusing assets, Marvel has been doing this for its entire existence lol
Finally someone bring that up.
Nobody complained about how MVC2 re-used a TON of old sprite for alot of character. Heck, most Capcom fighting game do that anyway, so, I am fine with them reusing asset. As long as they don't look too out of place. (Some animation need some polish right now)

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
Some other stuff people are noticing. Ultron kinda resembles Nova with the dive move and hard hitting normals, Strider has a new Hyper for in the air, Ourobouros is only 1 bar but slower, Hawkeye can juggle with 3 arrow types and Infinity Stones are like Ultras in SFIV, as in the meter builds up by getting hit
not a huge fan of new orbs + no assists to supplement it but Strider's movement and combos are looking pretty fresh

Ultron looks powerful and I love it

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
not a huge fan of new orbs + no assists to supplement it but Strider's movement and combos are looking pretty fresh

Ultron looks powerful and I love it
Ultron also seems to be a great 'tag' character. You can tag out to your other characters while attacking, a Ultron not only seems to have multiple command grabs, butnhe also has drones that act like summons, so Ultron could easily attack someone and then you switch and prepare yourself or something

D

Deleted member

Finally someone bring that up.
Nobody complained about how MVC2 re-used a TON of old sprite for alot of character. Heck, most Capcom fighting game do that anyway, so, I am fine with them reusing asset. As long as they don't look too out of place. (Some animation need some polish right now)
People still complained about MvC2's re-usage of past sprites, though I don't recall seeing many complaints about it.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
French players leaked some Joker gameplay out for Injsutice 2.
Still has his crowbar attack.

...Guys? Wasn't Thor one of the heaviest hitters in the game last time? Because either he's using his weaker moves, I'm not looking properly or he's not doing much to Ultron
Ultron probably has a lot of health.

D

Deleted member

I could probably make something more so balanced in a Mugen game than MvC2.

Well, they added Rocket Raccoon Rocket Raccoon so that's good enough for me.

Only (dumb) question I have is if it's coming out for a Nintendo platform.
Rocket doesn't lay a finger on Bilbo though, Bilbo is the greatest marvel character of all time.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
Only (dumb) question I have is if it's coming out for a Nintendo platform.
probably not, unfortunately

the contract for the game was likely signed around early 2015, several months before Switch protoypes were being shipped out

plans for development can always change but seeing how rough Infinite looks in some aspects this close to release I assume the devs wanted to avoid stretching themselves further

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Now would have been a good time to announce it. The game's 4 months away at this point.
Well, I suppose so.
Rocket doesn't lay a finger on Bilbo though, Bilbo is the greatest marvel character of all time.
Well to be fair, I don't know anything about Marvel VS Capcom, but I know what I've heard about Guardians of the Galaxy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom