• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bandana Dee3

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0379-7875-6874
We've got some major news related to the Sun and Moon anime!

The 27th episode title has been revealed, and a certain major SM character has also been revealed to be making the big anime debut in that episode!

Gladion is officially coming to the anime boys!

Yep, it's confirmed he has a Midnight Lycanroc and an Umbreon on his team. Very surprising that he isn't revealed to have Type: Null yet. Maybe that will be revealed later? He still has the scratch marks from the Pokemon, so I guess that's a sign he could be keeping Type: Null a secret.

Also, he still has the signature edge lord pose. That smirk makes him resemble Owain/Odin even more, in terms of dramatic hand gestures.

And here's the other scan:

So Lillie will be meeting Gladion in that same episode. This should have some very interesting development.

it also looks like Gladion's Midnight Lycanroc will have some kind of rivalry/bond with Ash's Rockruff. Considering the Pokemon Gladion has, something tells me this might hint Ash's Rockruff will eventually evolve into Midday Lycanroc. It would make a great contrast to Gladion's Lycanroc.

For those that want to know when the episode will air, it will be on May 18, 2017. The title of the episode is "Get out! Red Eyed Lycanroc!" That title already reminds me of what Gladion says when you visit him in his motel room in Route 8: "Get out!" I bet he'll say that at same point in the episode as well.

Already looking forward to these next few weeks. Seems like it'll be a great episode, not to mention Gladion will most likely be Ash's first major rival in the Sun and Moon anime.
Tell me when Team Skull's Boy comes through then it will be hype

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
>"You're only complaining about Nintendo because their decisions don't suit you!"
>Omits the part of the paragraph you quoted where I'm exclusively talking about the bigger picture
>Ignores the people defending Nintendo because they're Nintendo and Nintendo is a sensitive child with feelings that must be protected
Oh girl, here we go.

Dude, MK8DX would "suit me" at €20, max, and that's without trading against it. I'm suggesting it be €40-€45, which is more reasonable than the price they are charging and would most likely make them a larger profit because this game was very low budget.

I'm not upset that I can't get MK8DX. I could get it if I really wanted and chances are I'll get it down the line, maybe when I have excess cash or it goes on sale somehow. Hell, if I wanted, I could sell my Wii U copy and pirate the Wii U game to still have access to it if I really wanted to. Much of the new content is of little significance for me too, so really it's impossible for them to sell this at a price that completely suits me in it's current state as a result, I'm acknowledging that. Going by what suits me - I main Rosalina and might play as Link every now and then (and I have the DLC on Wii U), so I don't care about the addition of Koopa Kid #8, "please buy Splatoon 2" the character (I mean I plan to already), and a fifth Mario. Don't play as Mii all that often and when I do, I already have plenty of Mii costumes and the new Splatoon one doesn't even look like something from Splatoon. Battle Mode is nice but it should have been this way in the initial release like every other Mario Kart. And I don't need the mode where the game plays itself. And there is no guarantee I will have people to play with regularly (I didn't on Wii U). So yeah, being transparent - even at the price I'm suggesting, I wouldn't pick it up so soon. But it would have been a better business move at that price.
>Claims I ignored the bigger picture
>Spends an entire paragraph proving my point

The one point you made, that the game was very low budget, I can't currently correlate. Kind of wish they released development costs for video games the same way they do movies; it'd make this kind of statement much easier to clarify.

What we can assume is that: at least some of the MK8 team was involved, and the familiarity probably helped development, although the minimum 19 month gap in development makes it unlikely they were able to get the entire original team involved; the Wii U iteration of MK8 pushed the Wii U to its limits but presumably the Switch handles it with better margins, so there may have been less need for optimization, if it wasn't used to enhance the graphics; and new additions to the game primarily came in the form of quality of life upgrades, although new items, the ability to hold two items, and an overhaul of Battle Mode were all part of these.

I'm willing to concede the possibility that MK8D cost them a great deal less than did MK8. I'd even wager you might well be right that at €40-€45 they may still be able to make a profit. I just like my accusations to have more numbers behind them.

Numbers like their current stock prices, which I linked. Like their fiscal year earnings release, set to release tomorrow. Numbers that show how they're doing as a company.

You want to talk about a big picture, that's fine. Here's another way to look at that picture: if you're going to make someone pay full price for a game, having it jump its Metacritic six points to a 94 shows they actually gave a damn about the product they're having you buy, and therefore people who do purchase it should be happy with their purchase, at once drawing certain crowds who may not have been enticed by the Wii U or BotW into their ecosystem, rewarding relatively early adopters, and garnering goodwill and repeat business.

And for those who might be concerned on the price, there was a sale on the game literally yesterday and there will be more, so pick it up when the price is right. And price drops and deals garner further goodwill. You could argue that they don't need them in the same way as above noted, but I already broke down their price for you, and at least by comparison to MK8 it's fair.

Great games are what people care about at the end of the day. Period. And the game is great. Period. And it didn't hurt their financials. Period. Therefore there is no misstep. Period. Could it have been better? Sure. They could have sweetened the pot with additional characters, tracks, modes, or karts. But they didn't need to. It was already fair. Whether they sell you or not, or ever will. That's your big picture.

In the meantime, general consensus is that for people who currently own it on Wii U, it may not be enough to jump ship, but for the rest of us, it's worth every penny. So 8.26 million people, including you, have a question on their hands.

Meanwhile I do not, and will be purchasing the game.

Oh and one more thing:

And you are very easy to please if you think that content is worth $20. Most of it is, by your own words, "flicking a switch".
Bull****.

Battle mode is a full mechanical rework, even if the assets are essentially unchanged. New characters and karts requires new geometry assets and animations for everyone not named Gold Mario, and balance testing for the lot. Any optimization is a massive pain in the ****, and at least some would've been necessary to jack the 720p up to 1080p, more than just throwing it on a more powerful system.

I'm not gonna knock their work just because they polished things. It's at least the equivalent of another DLC pack, even if it could be noted as a smaller one due to the lack of tracks (I'd disgree, but sake of argument). So let's call it DLC Pack 3. DLC packs on MK8 ran $9.99 apiece or $12.99 for the bundle. I'd price this very fairly at an additional $4.99-$6.99 for the DLC and increase the full bundle to probably $15.99.

I already broke down that MK8D is consistent pricing with MK8 plus all DLC. Now you're telling me they're adding free **** on top of that, and it's not a good deal.

Again, for you this may be correct. Me, I'm sold. We can agree to disagree if you'd like.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

We've got some major news related to the Sun and Moon anime!

The 27th episode title has been revealed, and a certain major SM character has also been revealed to be making the big anime debut in that episode!

Gladion is officially coming to the anime boys!

Yep, it's confirmed he has a Midnight Lycanroc and an Umbreon on his team. Very surprising that he isn't revealed to have Type: Null yet. Maybe that will be revealed later? He still has the scratch marks from the Pokemon, so I guess that's a sign he could be keeping Type: Null a secret.

Also, he still has the signature edge lord pose. That smirk makes him resemble Owain/Odin even more, in terms of dramatic hand gestures.

And here's the other scan:

So Lillie will be meeting Gladion in that same episode. This should have some very interesting development.

it also looks like Gladion's Midnight Lycanroc will have some kind of rivalry/bond with Ash's Rockruff. Considering the Pokemon Gladion has, something tells me this might hint Ash's Rockruff will eventually evolve into Midday Lycanroc. It would make a great contrast to Gladion's Lycanroc.

For those that want to know when the episode will air, it will be on May 18, 2017. The title of the episode is "Get out! Red Eyed Lycanroc!" That title already reminds me of what Gladion says when you visit him in his motel room in Route 8: "Get out!" I bet he'll say that at same point in the episode as well.

Already looking forward to these next few weeks. Seems like it'll be a great episode, not to mention Gladion will most likely be Ash's first major rival in the Sun and Moon anime.
Edge boy coming through with his Umbreon
>Evolved through happiness
100% edge, trust me

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
So last night I went to a baseball game featuring my two absolute favorite teams. The higher of the two favorites won, but I met this guy from the other team, Joey, who really messed up the Kansas City Royals a couple of days ago by hitting a couple of home runs against them. Nice to have heroes to thank from enemy teams, isn't it?

Moving on from that, What are you guys thinking will occur during E3?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Moving on from that, What are you guys thinking will occur during E3?
"Splatoon 2 is d-different, g-guys! Trust us!"
>mfw no eov
Persona All-Star Dancers Racing Arena
Sony either does pretty good or "holy **** how"
Ea and ubi continue to dig their own graves
Smth smth ****onami
Lol microsoft

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
'Just bought Dead Space 1.
Time to be a ****ty engineer on the worst ship in the galaxy.

Oh and, thank you redfeatherraven redfeatherraven again for telling that it's "bought" and not "buyed". My life has changed for the best now. :4dedede:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Watching the video, the way it abruptly starts and ends kinda tells me this wasn't supposed to go up.

As for the gameplay itself... well, it looks like MvC3 with gems. So, in other words, looks solid. Will need to see more, though.

And it seems like Chris has an ammo system now.

D

Deleted member

A question about the Marvel Netflix series: who owns/produce them, Disney, Fox or a third company?

Last edited by a moderator:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I really hope hypers are easier to do this time around

Disney.
It ends with Chris saying "I'M READY" in slow-mo, but you can see EASY HYPER COMBO pop up. My guess is that the simplified moves also count for Hyper Combos and that as a result of being easier to pull off, they're a bit weaker. TvC had this with the wiimote, Casshern's thunder punch was easy to input, but if you did the command you could actually charge the move

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Marvel Infinite gameplay is up.

Curiosity as someone who up until literally this moment has not paid a lick of attention to MvC - how do what I assume are the Inifinity Stones play in exactly? Just pick one before you start the match?
Yeah, they were described as being like grooves from CVS2, in that you pick them before you pick your characters and each gem lets you do certain moves.

Last edited:

AreJay25

Marvel Infinite gameplay is up.

Curiosity as someone who up until literally this moment has not paid a lick of attention to MvC - how do what I assume are the Inifinity Stones play in exactly? Just pick one before you start the match?
Yep. It's a huge change from the first game they were in, where you had to acquire them during the match.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
>Claims I ignored the bigger picture
>Spends an entire paragraph proving my point
That wasn't what I said at all. I said you specifically omitted the part of my post that you quoted where I discussed the bigger picture and claimed I "don't see the bigger picture".

What you're telling people I said VS what I actually said:

And them charging full price for a port of a 3 year old game being bad has nothing to do with consumer loyalty. Mario Kart 8 is a 3 year old game. And the new version doesn't even have much new stuff in it. It's not new or impressive by any means. So it shouldn't be priced as such.
And them charging full price for a port of a 3 year old game being bad has nothing to do with consumer loyalty. Mario Kart 8 is a 3 year old game. And the new version doesn't even have much new stuff in it. It's not new or impressive by any means. So it shouldn't be priced as such.

Pricing it at a budget price would make the idea of upgrading easier to swallow for Wii U players especially if they traded against it, and it would make it even MORE enticing to newcomers, or those on the fence about the Switch. So more money for Nintendo then (it was an incredibly low budget release, so making a loss isn't even a risk for them), and as a bonus, they gain some consumer goodwill which in business, means returning customers.
So please, don't do that again.

The one point you made, that the game was very low budget, I can't currently correlate. Kind of wish they released development costs for video games the same way they do movies; it'd make this kind of statement much easier to clarify.
I can correlate it - most of the game was already made, the new content uses re-used assets anyway, and even most of the "brand new gameplay mechanics" aren't new from a programming standpoint and would require a couple of lines of extra code at most, if not copy-pasting it from one part of the code to another. Nintendo has also said since a couple of years back that this is a strategy they want to implement into more of the games to get more releases out with a lower budget. Which is fine on it's own. I don't even have an issue with this being low budget, but I do have an issue with them selling the game at full price when it's clearly a budget title akin to something like Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker on the Wii U (which also re-used lots of assets and code).

I'm willing to concede the possibility that MK8D cost them a great deal less than did MK8. I'd even wager you might well be right that at €40-€45 they may still be able to make a profit. I just like my accusations to have more numbers behind them.
Numbers aren't everything, economics are just as, if not more important, than numbers in a discussion about how Nintendo's current strategy works for them in the long term.

You want to talk about a big picture, that's fine. Here's another way to look at that picture: if you're going to make someone pay full price for a game, having it jump its Metacritic six points to a 94 shows they actually gave a damn about the product they're having you buy, and therefore people who do purchase it should be happy with their purchase, at once drawing certain crowds who may not have been enticed by the Wii U or BotW into their ecosystem, rewarding relatively early adopters, and garnering goodwill and repeat business.
This is irrelevant. Review scores are arbitrary. Most consumers don't actually care about a jump in 6 points assuming they even pay attention to the review score, just that the game they are buying now has a good score, and MK8 already had that (so I highly doubt MK8DX would sell worse if it was still an 88). There's also so many other factors at play here that could influence review score, like different reviewers, a difference in the amount of reviews (which is the case - MK8 is based on 82 Critics, MK8DX is based on 56 Critics as of typing), and so on. So I do not see how and why this should generate major consumer goodwill, certainly not in comparison to pricing MK8DX more fairly.

It was already fair. Whether they sell you or not, or ever will. That's your big picture.
I actually disagree with this - when MK8 launched, I felt I didn't even get my money's worth. It's still a rip-off with the extra DLC on top of the original game's price (the DLC was cool but it didn't fix the core issues with the game - clearly they waited until MK8DX for that). If MK8DX was the game I got then, it would have been a totally different story. But unfortunately we're only getting it now. And now it's a 3 year old game, making it less valuable, especially for people who have the original. Therefore, it would have been smarter to just sell this at around the €40 mark.

Battle mode is a full mechanical rework, even if the assets are essentially unchanged. New characters and karts requires new geometry assets and animations for everyone not named Gold Mario, and balance testing for the lot. Any optimization is a massive pain in the ****, and at least some would've been necessary to jack the 720p up to 1080p, more than just throwing it on a more powerful system.
No it isn't. Battle Mode was in the original game. Two of the modes in MK8DX were also in MK8 and are unchanged. All they did was add the arenas they should have had in the first place, and add 3 new modes and two items. The 3 new modes aren't even mechanical reworks either - one of them is just "Balloon Battle with only Bob-Ombs", the other is "Coin Battle except there is only one coin at a time and you chase the person who has it". These two modes were made using tweaks to existing code that could be done in no time at all. The only extra work they had to do was re-program AI (which doesn't take too long either because they had an AI system in place, they just had to re-program it a bit for the new arenas), and add the UI, and of course general bug testing to be safe. Renegade Roundup may have had more original programming to it, but part of the function here is also having a permanent Piranha Plant which was an item in the original game.

The items are hardly anything new either. For one, the Super Leaf already had a model in the original MK8:

As for it's function - it's literally an on-demand trick ramp, with the same "stealing" property Super Mushrooms have in Battle Mode. The code was there already.

Boo had a model in the game already too since they were stage hazards in one of the courses. This applies to King Boo's model as well, they just made a crown for him. The Boo item may have been programmed from scratch though in terms of what it actually does.

Dry Bones also had a model in the original game as he was also a stage hazard, and they probably just used Koopa Troopa's animation skeleton (...lol) for his playable appearance in MK8DX.

The Inklings are clearly just pulled from Splatoon itself, they're clearly the same model and the two games are made by the same team IIRC, so it makes sense.

So yeah, I'm not seeing a mechanical overhaul. Almost everything was made using existing assets or mechanics.

I already broke down that MK8D is consistent pricing with MK8 plus all DLC. Now you're telling me they're adding free **** on top of that, and it's not a good deal.
Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, depends on perspective. Still could have objectively been a better deal for all though, that would most likely mean more profits for Nintendo too.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
What we know each infinity gem can do so far:

Time: Invincible air and grounded forward/back dashes.

Space: Vacuum pull a la Magnet's attraction from Marvel 3, super version traps opponents in a box.

Power: Unique move with a wall bounce guaranteed on hit.

Last edited:

AreJay25

Lol, I didn't even notice this but it seems like there's rounds now. No more "kill everyone to end the match".

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
What we know each infinity gem can do so far:

Time: Invincible air and grounded forward/back dashes.

Space: Vacuum pull a la Magnet's attraction from Marvel 3, super version traps opponents in a box.

Power: Unique move with a wall bounce guaranteed on hit.
Time seems to have a Super version which reminds me of a Jill HC from UMVC3, being able to dash repeatedly without burning up Time Stone meter

MF Viewtiful

Son MF
Switch FC
SW 4028 6305 8614
The gameplay video looks pretty reassuring considering all the fuss yesterday. However the HUD and re-used animations gives the game a cheap feeling. The art style is still not all that pleasing, in my opinion. Hopefully, we got some player impressions from FGC heads who dig their fangs into this. Count me optimistic.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Speak for yourself. Its still valuable to me. Dont assume your feelings are everyone elses feelings
I'm speaking objectively. When games that are still readily available on the market are that old and get an updated re-release, the re-release tends to be sold at a budget price with the original game being even cheaper. Every other company operates this way, Nintendo seems to be the only company that is stingy in this regard.

If you still want to buy it for €60/$60, feel free, but at least acknowledge you're doing it out of your own personal values and desires and not because it's a good value proposition from an objective stand point - because this product is not the latter, especially for someone with the Wii U version.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Maybe a Switch port with Fox as a guest character, a la GCN SoulCaliber II.

Heck, throw in Link, Samus, and Captain Falcon.

Let the competitive MvC community figure that one out.

Shut up I can dream.
I personally don't have any interest in MvC...

but if they put Link and Samus in the game then...

I don't care if it doesn't make sense in a crossover between Marvel and Capcom...

Bandana Dee3

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0379-7875-6874
Battle mode
Balloon battle- same as usual
Bob omb blast- explosive fu
COIN RUNNERS and SHINE THIEF are not the same

It's more like King of the hill but you have to move.
To add to redfeatherraven redfeatherraven point
Battle mode in Mario Kart 8 vanilla was very dull.
Because
  • We only had balloon battle
  • The tracks were inspired and flat
  • Only good thing about that the customization made it cool
Battle Mode in MK8D
  • New and old battle arena tracks
  • They're big enough to work with the different Battle Modes
  • Renegade Roundup is a great addition (Reminds me of the time when I used to play Cops and Robbers)
  • Takes out Fire hopping (Thank God) adds Purple Sparks
  • Fixes framerate problems

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom