• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Did anyone see this screen shot yet?

It looks like Mega Man X has something similar to the Sonic Slicer from MMX2.

It works a little differently from the original game(it goes forward but bounces up and down walls). But stuff like that is expected. As a side note, this would make for a good color swap.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
The platform right now is a little small, although surely there's at least a couple of other games that they haven't already bought elsewhere that might be worth a shot.

What gets me is when they extend it to the whole year, though. Apparently Xenoblade 2, Splatoon 2, and Fire Emblem Warriors (technically multiplat but I find criticizing simultaneous releases when you either already own a Switch or don't own the other platform nitpicky) don't exist because they aren't Metroid.

There's a library set up for this year, folks. It's just not entirely consisting of the Big 3 like some people seem to think it should.

Nintendo needed to stop the drought issues of past systems and they can't control how fast their third parties send a game across the ocean since Disgaea actually WAS a launch title in Japan IIRC.

If Mario Odyssey was right off the bat then people would be whining that there's nothing good for Christmas. If Mario Kart was off the bat people would be complaining about a spring drought even harder than they already are. Their spacing strategy is kind of deliberate, it's just that they're darned if they do and darned if they don't. And either way it's never enough emphasis on Mario for people.

Yeah, like Ratchet and Cla-ooooh you're just going to do one movie adaption and you're done? OK. . .

What system has an entire library of non-ported killer apps on the first year? It takes half a lifespan to build that kind of thing up, what are people expecting? It's not the system's fault for "having no games" in that case if you need full on killer apps, that kind of darn thing takes time no matter what system you're on unless it's a fluid ecosystem like PC or mobile.

I never got the logic that Nintendo "owes" people because some people that "supported" Nintendo bought a game three years ago. Like some general betrayed an army in a war. No one is forcing anyone to go out and buy a port, if you don't want it you're perfectly free to not buy it. If you do want it, you're free to sell your Wii U copy if you went physical for some money towards it, and if you went digital you probably already got an extra free game in a promotion to make up the extra money spent. If it's really not OK, then just send the message by not buying it. Sticker Star proved that no amount of complaining does anything if it actually sells. Never buying it the first time around and feeling like I'm somehow a traitor because I'm buying it for the first time on the Switch is darn awkward.
yeah I think D5 was a launch title but it still sucked that people have to wait until MAY to play it in NA. Thats why everyone just imported it. Who wants to wait that long but NIS just said "go on ahead and import" So we did

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
My night was awful, so I'll just make this quick and get some rest for the night.

Codename S.T.E.A.M. Henry won, so congrats to you ( Opossum Opossum ). Qbby did decently while You only gotten one vote (@smashkirby).

The next poll is mostly eShop stuff with the exception of Culdcept Revolt's protagonist. In addition to him, Dillon, Mallo from Pushmo (@Arcadenik), and Sakura Samurai are your choices.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Just do whatever you want while I let the pain go away.
Dillon, nuff said.

And you're not alone, this night was just as **** for me too. You can never get things done when people drag you to places just because they need your help too much. On top of that, some scholarship program leaders don't know what the **** they are doing, leading me to guesswork the type of presentation she wants when she made a specific promise to email the layout and it never happens in nearly two weeks.

But that's ok, I'll just accept whatever happens and get this last year over with. As long as I'm legally allowed to leave the collage with a damn diploma, that's good enough. As if May 14th can't get here fast enough. ****.

So sure, today sucked a little. . .A lot actually

BUT
Someone here was cool enough to try and help me out and I appreciate it
And I also managed to, after like 4 different tries and on 4 different firmwares in the past, i've finally downgraded to 2.1 firmware for 3ds

All I have left is installing ARM9 and hax will basically be done and all the problems I have with losing all my data will be worth it, and possible even be fixed (depending on how acessible sae editing is)

w00t!

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Now that "Redneck Jesus" is retiring from Turn Left I gotta get a diecast before they get overpriced.

Professor Pumpkaboo Professor Pumpkaboo which one of these look cooler?

Others are free to give an opinion too of course :p

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Nah, they have a point. The system library is really small. Zelda is the only game truly worth playing. 12 Switch is horrible, Bomberman is just okay, most of the other is multiplatform. Hopefully there will be more games soon though
I disagree that Zelda is the only game worth playing - Snipperclips, MK8D, and Bomberman R post-update are all worth your time.

Nevertheless I agree that there's a small library of games by comparison to its competition right now, but seeing as the system's only been out about two months and we know there's several big titles coming down the pipe, I think that's going to be the thing that changes the most going forward.

Sidenote, although it's pretty simple to get data in aggregate about all consumers' spending habits, I'm having difficulty getting data on how many games the average consumer buys per year. Anyone got a source?

What system has an entire library of non-ported killer apps on the first year? It takes half a lifespan to build that kind of thing up, what are people expecting?

Never buying it the first time around and feeling like I'm somehow a traitor because I'm buying it for the first time on the Switch is darn awkward.
I agree with most of your points, but I'm distilling this down to the two lines that I agree with the most. Practically wrote out my position for me, but there's a few things I'd like to add for the general crowd:

There have been two - two - brand-new, non-multi-platform killer apps for any gaming console in the last two decades. I cite Halo: Combat Evolved in 2001 and Wii Sports in 2005 for my examples. I encourage anyone to counter with better ones - exclusive console games that at launch carved out a lasting niche for their systems and solidified legacies since the new millenium - and I wish you the best of luck in your efforts to find any. I sure didn't.

That all aside, games take time to develop - in most cases several years - and developers haven't had time to create new Switch games. I'd estimate they haven't had more than a year with the hardware, and that's a generous estimate. Making the porting process relatively simple pads the library until those games come to fruition.

Banking on indie ports, punching well above their weight with Zelda, and spacing out their first-party titles to keep a constant flow of fuel to the hype train is the best strategy they have. They literally cannot fight the PS4 and Xbox One on their own terms, nor they should not try, but over the course of the year I do expect them to carve their own profitable niche in the market.

I'd write more, but it's work o'clock.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I disagree that Zelda is the only game worth playing - Snipperclips, MK8D, and Bomberman R post-update are all worth your time.

Nevertheless I agree that there's a small library of games by comparison to its competition right now, but seeing as the system's only been out about two months and we know there's several big titles coming down the pipe, I think that's going to be the thing that changes the most going forward.

Sidenote, although it's pretty simple to get data in aggregate about all consumers' spending habits, I'm having difficulty getting data on how many games the average consumer buys per year. Anyone got a source?

I agree with most of your points, but I'm distilling this down to the two lines that I agree with the most. Practically wrote out my position for me, but there's a few things I'd like to add for the general crowd:

There have been two - two - brand-new, non-multi-platform killer apps for any gaming console in the last two decades. I cite Halo: Combat Evolved in 2001 and Wii Sports in 2005 for my examples. I encourage anyone to counter with better ones - exclusive console games that at launch carved out a lasting niche for their systems and solidified legacies since the new millenium - and I wish you the best of luck in your efforts to find any. I sure didn't.

That all aside, games take time to develop - in most cases several years - and developers haven't had time to create new Switch games. I'd estimate they haven't had more than a year with the hardware, and that's a generous estimate. Making the porting process relatively simple pads the library until those games come to fruition.

Banking on indie ports, punching well above their weight with Zelda, and spacing out their first-party titles to keep a constant flow of fuel to the hype train is the best strategy they have. They literally cannot fight the PS4 and Xbox One on their own terms, nor they should not try, but over the course of the year I do expect them to carve their own profitable niche in the market.

I HAVE AN EXAMPLE

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

I can actually give you a more specific if still general timeframe on how long third parties had the Switch prior to launch: 9 months at the most. I heard third parties only got devkits last summer, so that's the absolute most time anyone outside of Nintendo had to work on it at that point.

That's how long Bomberman R had to be pumped out, and that's why everything else is taking much longer. I'm astonished Minecraft is coming out this fast seeing how slow it usually is, let alone that they actually made a variant with world sizes unique to Switch hardware that thus would take slightly more time to work on still.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
It's getting tiring hearing this discussion...

People: "There's not enough big games that are worth it on the Switch!"

Me: "Then wait until the Holidays...there will be!"

The Swtich's March release was targeting a specific demographic...Not the entire gaming market...I'm not sure why this is so hard for some people to understand...When the holidays roll around the Switch will have a much meatier lineup under it's belt, with a much wider appeal than it has at launch, and from where I'm standing this holiday season will be the Switch's real test on the market...

I feel like people should at least wait until we see what Nintendo's going to show us at e3...because I think it has the potential of being one of their biggest showings ever...

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yeah, like Ratchet and Cla-ooooh you're just going to do one movie adaption and you're done? OK. . .

What system has an entire library of non-ported killer apps on the first year? It takes half a lifespan to build that kind of thing up, what are people expecting? It's not the system's fault for "having no games" in that case if you need full on killer apps, that kind of darn thing takes time no matter what system you're on unless it's a fluid ecosystem like PC or mobile.

I never got the logic that Nintendo "owes" people because some people that "supported" Nintendo bought a game three years ago. Like some general betrayed an army in a war. No one is forcing anyone to go out and buy a port, if you don't want it you're perfectly free to not buy it. If you do want it, you're free to sell your Wii U copy if you went physical for some money towards it, and if you went digital you probably already got an extra free game in a promotion to make up the extra money spent. If it's really not OK, then just send the message by not buying it. Sticker Star proved that no amount of complaining does anything if it actually sells. Never buying it the first time around and feeling like I'm somehow a traitor because I'm buying it for the first time on the Switch is darn awkward.
What are you talking about? There's going to be more Ratchet & Clank games. And it's not like that's the only thing that could possibly appeal to a Nintendo fan, there's plenty more. Unless Nintendo's recent obsession with 2D platformers was really so brainwashing or something.

I didn't expect the Switch to have an amazing launch line-up. But I expected at least one attempt at a substantial killer app I couldn't get on another system. It failed at even that. And their first exclusive first party killer app doesn't come until summer, and even THAT is arguably a port that was promoted to be a sequel but still is ultimately not pushing anymore new boundaries.

And them charging full price for a port of a 3 year old game being bad has nothing to do with consumer loyalty. Mario Kart 8 is a 3 year old game. And the new version doesn't even have much new stuff in it. It's not new or impressive by any means. So it shouldn't be priced as such.

Pricing it at a budget price would make the idea of upgrading easier to swallow for Wii U players especially if they traded against it, and it would make it even MORE enticing to newcomers, or those on the fence about the Switch. So more money for Nintendo then (it was an incredibly low budget release, so making a loss isn't even a risk for them), and as a bonus, they gain some consumer goodwill which in business, means returning customers.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
as im letting my joycons charge(im finally on a chapter in puyopuyo that unlocks characters) i must remind everyone that there are three mascots of the smt universe, jackfrost(the offical) mara(the nsfw) and mothman (the best)

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Now that "Redneck Jesus" is retiring from Turn Left I gotta get a diecast before they get overpriced.

Professor Pumpkaboo Professor Pumpkaboo which one of these look cooler?

Others are free to give an opinion too of course :p
Hmmm I kinda like the 2nd and 4th and if I had to pick between them, Id pick the 2nd. Its so colorful, my eyes snapped to that right away. the other three are just two solid colors and didnt catch my eye as much as the red and yellow
as im letting my joycons charge(im finally on a chapter in puyopuyo that unlocks characters) i must remind everyone that there are three mascots of the smt universe, jackfrost(the offical) mara(the nsfw) and mothman (the best)
idk, I kinda like Mothman... But Mothman has better skills... But then again, Mothman is stronger

Last edited:

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
Also yes I'm basically juggling two Persona games now. #absolutemadman
To be fair, I'm playing four different games at once, all of which are RPGs.
In addition, I don't have as much time to play games as I would like due to focusing on school. And also because I take lots of breaks in between to prevent me from being burnt out.
If anything, I feel like I'm more insane than you are.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
So as someone who's never played Bomberman before, how would you sell the game to me? Is the new one worth getting?

Alternatively, what about Wonderboy? Would I be better off just waiting for better games?
I just really want something to play on my Switch.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
From ShockingAlberto on Neogaf regarding Marvel Infinite regarding Down Down + Punch shenanigans.

Yes.

Again, can't give impressions until the 27th. What you've heard isn't wrong, but I came away feeling good about it.

Edit: At the time, the producer told me they were still playing with command executions.
Sounds like Down Down + Punch could be an Easy Operation thing.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=234721427&postcount=2446

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
What are you talking about? There's going to be more Ratchet & Clank games. And it's not like that's the only thing that could possibly appeal to a Nintendo fan, there's plenty more. Unless Nintendo's recent obsession with 2D platformers was really so brainwashing or something.

I didn't expect the Switch to have an amazing launch line-up. But I expected at least one attempt at a substantial killer app I couldn't get on another system. It failed at even that. And their first exclusive first party killer app doesn't come until summer, and even THAT is arguably a port that was promoted to be a sequel but still is ultimately not pushing anymore new boundaries.

And them charging full price for a port of a 3 year old game being bad has nothing to do with consumer loyalty. Mario Kart 8 is a 3 year old game. And the new version doesn't even have much new stuff in it. It's not new or impressive by any means. So it shouldn't be priced as such.

Pricing it at a budget price would make the idea of upgrading easier to swallow for Wii U players especially if they traded against it, and it would make it even MORE enticing to newcomers, or those on the fence about the Switch. So more money for Nintendo then (it was an incredibly low budget release, so making a loss isn't even a risk for them), and as a bonus, they gain some consumer goodwill which in business, means returning customers.
They took years just to get the movie adaption out and now they're working on Spiderman. With the way the workflow has slowed down, by the time any decent flow of Ratchet and Clank games comes out I'm expecting them to be on the PS5.

There's other games that could appeal to a Nintendo fan, but what's Sony making personally? You got Knack and Little Big Planet as far as marketed ones go? Neither of them attract me aesthetically the way Nintendo games/Sonic/R&C do, and what I saw initially of Knack's gameplay didn't make me interested either. That merely speaks for myself, but I can surely see other people not clicking as well for reasons other than "it doesn't have a Nintendo name tacked onto it." Most people that only buy for the name of a franchise only buy the Big 3 and maybe one or two others and are part of the crowd complaining about the number of Nintendo releases in the first place. Most of the "Nintendo appeal" games on HD consoles by other publishers I could just as easily get on my PC as people point out you can with most of the Switch's library.

Let's look at what Deluxe added (not going to include the slight graphics/framerate bump since that seems to just be flicking a switch essentially):

>Second Item Slot
>Smart Driving Assist, presumably with some programming to get that to work
>Battle Mode with five modes and several new Battle Mode exclusive stages
>Multiple new items
>5 new characters and a recolor
>A new Mii costume
>Patching out a common racing speed boosting cheat from the original called Fire Hopping

And it threw in the DLC for free, which was, what, $12 initially?

Looking at it I'd say it added about $20 worth of content over vanilla Mario Kart 8 overall, factoring in the price of DLC and what was added and changed. It's not like they hardly worked on the game, the Battle Mode stages and new characters are highly detailed even if the team did already have their ARMS full.

And people aren't just wanting it solely for the new battle mode, which is the general assumption I see on the internet. I've actually seen quite a bit of interest in Smart Driving Assist so that people can let their less skilled family members play.

Saying that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe "doesn't have much new stuff" is downplaying it as much as saying "Splatoon 2 is just a port that doesn't add anything meaningfully different" when even aside from engine tweaks and features not possible in the original Splatoon 2 already announced Salmon Run which, while maybe not different for shooters in general, is kind of moving the goalpost to say that since it is in fact meaningfully different gameplay wise for Splatoon.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The Switch has been out two months, people need to chill. Have patience, the forecast isn't barren.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
The Switch has been out two months, people need to chill. Have patience, the forecast isn't barren.
E3's in what, six weeks?

Intelligent Systems has already announced they're working on Fire Emblem Switch for 2018, 2D Zelda team is confirmed to be working on a 2D Zelda game, Pokemon Company is working on something and possibly getting Namco and Chunsoft to buy time for them in the meanwhile (pleeeease be a Mystery Dungeon game with all Pokemon that exist at the time of it's making, I skipped Gates to Infinity because it was gimped), Retro's got something they're still working on that they won't talk about.

I expect E3 to be mostly about games we already know, but I also expect some interesting name drops for next year assuming there isn't something surprisingly faster mixed in there. Not mainline Pokemon though, they announce things on their own clock and that needs time.

The time frame to E3 is so short that there isn't even time to bother with an emergency Direct to satiate panicking gamers like with the Wii U. This year already looks better than pessimism would lead you to believe even without it, let's see what we got. The pipeline isn't empty.

I don't think it can beat the Switch's killer app, which is, of course, Super Mario Bros. 2, the game of the year for 32767 years running
Wait, Lost Levels or Doki Doki Panic? :4megaman:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
From ShockingAlberto on Neogaf regarding Marvel Infinite regarding Down Down + Punch shenanigans.

Sounds like Down Down + Punch could be an Easy Operation thing.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=234721427&postcount=2446
It's all fine and good if it's an EO playstyle thing. But it would be weird to have that as the default. Still quite a few of the characters need their moves to be shown off. I hope that trailer will give us plenty to look at.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
I can actually give you a more specific if still general timeframe on how long third parties had the Switch prior to launch: 9 months at the most. I heard third parties only got devkits last summer, so that's the absolute most time anyone outside of Nintendo had to work on it at that point.

That's how long Bomberman R had to be pumped out, and that's why everything else is taking much longer. I'm astonished Minecraft is coming out this fast seeing how slow it usually is, let alone that they actually made a variant with world sizes unique to Switch hardware that thus would take slightly more time to work on still.
Yeesh. That's worse than I thought.

I was at least hoping there'd been some kind of beta devkit released earlier in its development, but I guess it is what it is.

I keep hearing this argument.

If you want to buy the three-year-old Mario Kart 8 on Wii U right now on Amazon, it'll cost you $49.90. If you want to also buy both DLC packs at the discounted price, that'll cost you another 11.99, bringing the total to $61.89.

Or you could buy MK8D, getting all that with additional improvements for $59.99.

Is it enough of an argument to double dip, as I know you would have to? No. Will it sell Switches to anyone who owns a Wii U? Debatable. Is it reasonable for anyone who didn't pick it up on Wii U, or didn't get a Wii U and is considering a Switch? Absolutely. Will it sell Switches? Yes.

Setting MK8D aside a moment, I've been noticing that you have this odd tendency to write off their strategy as bad if it doesn't benefit you, i.e doesn't give you a reason to purchase a Switch over the PS4 and Wii U you currently own. I don't think that's going to change anytime in 2017, because even if they do announce something interesting at E3, odds aren't great that you'll get it before 2018.

But the strategy's working for Nintendo at least. Take a look at their stocks over the last 6 months; they're on a climb approaching their holiday numbers in a traditional game-release dead spot, and their stock price is just $2 a share under Sony's (Microsoft's is harder to compare due to the fact that Xbox as a whole doesn't contribute as much as Windows or Office 365 to their bottom line, while Sony's gaming division accounts for more than three quarters of its profits and over four-fifths of Nintendo's).

If they're not doing what you'd like, that's fine, stick around the PS4 market. But your arguments ain't exactly winning hearts and minds.

Oh no, let them *****.

I can get more hyperlinks.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Someone just liked a post of mine in a thread for the direct when Cloud was revealed.
They took years just to get the movie adaption out and now they're working on Spiderman. With the way the workflow has slowed down, by the time any decent flow of Ratchet and Clank games comes out I'm expecting them to be on the PS5.

There's other games that could appeal to a Nintendo fan, but what's Sony making personally? You got Knack and Little Big Planet as far as marketed ones go? Neither of them attract me aesthetically the way Nintendo games/Sonic/R&C do, and what I saw initially of Knack's gameplay didn't make me interested either. That merely speaks for myself, but I can surely see other people not clicking as well for reasons other than "it doesn't have a Nintendo name tacked onto it." Most people that only buy for the name of a franchise only buy the Big 3 and maybe one or two others and are part of the crowd complaining about the number of Nintendo releases in the first place. Most of the "Nintendo appeal" games on HD consoles by other publishers I could just as easily get on my PC as people point out you can with most of the Switch's library.

Let's look at what Deluxe added (not going to include the slight graphics/framerate bump since that seems to just be flicking a switch essentially):

>Second Item Slot
>Smart Driving Assist, presumably with some programming to get that to work
>Battle Mode with five modes and several new Battle Mode exclusive stages
>Multiple new items
>5 new characters and a recolor
>A new Mii costume
>Patching out a common racing speed boosting cheat from the original called Fire Hopping

And it threw in the DLC for free, which was, what, $12 initially?

Looking at it I'd say it added about $20 worth of content over vanilla Mario Kart 8 overall, factoring in the price of DLC and what was added and changed. It's not like they hardly worked on the game, the Battle Mode stages and new characters are highly detailed even if the team did already have their ARMS full.

And people aren't just wanting it solely for the new battle mode, which is the general assumption I see on the internet. I've actually seen quite a bit of interest in Smart Driving Assist so that people can let their less skilled family members play.

Saying that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe "doesn't have much new stuff" is downplaying it as much as saying "Splatoon 2 is just a port that doesn't add anything meaningfully different" when even aside from engine tweaks and features not possible in the original Splatoon 2 already announced Salmon Run which, while maybe not different for shooters in general, is kind of moving the goalpost to say that since it is in fact meaningfully different gameplay wise for Splatoon.
Insomniac could always just release QForce and Nexus sized Ratchet and Clank games.
I'd prefer to get larger Ratchet and Clank games tho. The PS4 game was great but even that was much shorter than the PS2 original.

I really doubt we'd be waiting for the PS5 however. Ratchet and Clank is Insomniac's bread and butter and the PS3 had a decent flow of it, even while Insomniac also worked on Resistance.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Dunno if its being discussed still but if you feel that the Switch doesn't have enough games that suit your needs- like myself- wait until it does. Nobody's forcing you to get it immediately, and there's a chance you could get it at a lower price, that is if you're looking to buy a used one to shorten your spent cash- again, like me.

Basically, be like me. :4wario:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
I HAVE AN EXAMPLE
Honestly? Really liked the underlying concept of Knack.

Not at all surprised it **** the bed, but for the record, I wish they'd pulled it off.

Dunno if its being discussed still but if you feel that the Switch doesn't have enough games that suit your needs- like myself- wait until it does. Nobody's forcing you to get it immediately, and there's a chance you could get it at a lower price, that is if you're looking to buy a used one to shorten your spent cash- again, like me.

Basically, be like me. :4wario:
Agreed.

Be like him.

Did not expect to utter those words, but nah you're mostly okay. Mostly.

Oh geez, Mara.

What a ****.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
E3's in what, six weeks?

Intelligent Systems has already announced they're working on Fire Emblem Switch for 2018, 2D Zelda team is confirmed to be working on a 2D Zelda game, Pokemon Company is working on something and possibly getting Namco and Chunsoft to buy time for them in the meanwhile (pleeeease be a Mystery Dungeon game with all Pokemon that exist at the time of it's making, I skipped Gates to Infinity because it was gimped), Retro's got something they're still working on that they won't talk about.

I expect E3 to be mostly about games we already know, but I also expect some interesting name drops for next year assuming there isn't something surprisingly faster mixed in there. Not mainline Pokemon though, they announce things on their own clock and that needs time.

The time frame to E3 is so short that there isn't even time to bother with an emergency Direct to satiate panicking gamers like with the Wii U. This year already looks better than pessimism would lead you to believe even without it, let's see what we got. The pipeline isn't empty.
I don't know why people think Nintendo, or any company, would make any significant announcements between March and early June, let alone expect them to.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
I don't know why people think Nintendo, or any company, would make any significant announcements between March and early June, let alone expect them to.
Perhaps expecting Ninty to do the unexpected?

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
It's all fine and good if it's an EO playstyle thing. But it would be weird to have that as the default. Still quite a few of the characters need their moves to be shown off. I hope that trailer will give us plenty to look at.
You're right. I saw Iron Man have new things in the first gameplay trailer... apparently Chris uses less guns than he did in Marvel 3 (according to Ryce).

Luckily we're getting a gameplay trailer this Thursday, so I wonder if we'll see anything new...

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
So as someone who's never played Bomberman before, how would you sell the game to me? Is the new one worth getting?

Alternatively, what about Wonderboy? Would I be better off just waiting for better games?
I just really want something to play on my Switch.
Bomberman is ok if you want to get into the franchise. But it removes a lot of the features that were introduced in previous games like Rouies (They are the Yoshies of the games) and remote control bombs. But there's enough unique bombs (mines and water bombs) and power-ups to obtain from debris.

The level design is fairly short for the story mode (which you would have to play over and over again to get enough gems for the in-game shop) and multiplayer has significantly more going for it. I would say that the story doesn't take itself serious and it can get pretty cheesy at times, but most Bomberman games were never serious. It's a good game if you have friends or want to play online (which is still getting improvements through patches).

You can get it now while the new DLC is coming or if you have the patience to grind for Gems to get everything else (characters, stages, and hats) from the shop.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Nintendo's not likely going to announce anything before e3, unless it's content for a game that'll be released either before or shortly after...

in other words, stuff for Arms and Splatoon 2...

I'm not expecting anything beyond that before e3...let alone a direct...unless it's some dedicated direct for a specific game....but nothing for new announcements....whatever else Nintendo has up their sleeves for now will be saved for e3 and perhaps another direct by the end of summer/fall...

We've just come off of a rather content rich direct showing us stuff for both the Switch and 3DS anyways...so what's the rush?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Making a specific prediction under the umbrella of "Nintendo doing the unexpected" is a good way to get your hopes crushed. Not the least of which is expecting a major announcement prior to E3 which would also serve to alleviate some supposed dearth of pre-E3 titles. That's not how things work, even by Nintendo's standards.

tbh the Direct from a few weeks ago was surprising just because of that
I wouldn't say much of consequence was revealed there. Nothing that is going to change many opinions. And it's only surprising insofar that Nintendo doesn't always have an April direct. But it wasn't the first one. When Nintendo has product to push that they don't want to clog up E3 with, it's not an uncommon tactic of theirs.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
But then it isn't unexpected. :4megaman:

Someone just liked a post of mine in a thread for the direct when Cloud was revealed.

Insomniac could always just release QForce and Nexus sized Ratchet and Clank games.
I'd prefer to get larger Ratchet and Clank games tho. The PS4 game was great but even that was much shorter than the PS2 original.

I really doubt we'd be waiting for the PS5 however. Ratchet and Clank is Insomniac's bread and butter and the PS3 had a decent flow of it, even while Insomniac also worked on Resistance.
Yeah I think three smaller games in a row was about enough for me, and counting the PS4 game that's four titles in a row that don't really do anything to progress the arc much. Nexus in particular felt like it only existed to kill off characters that did too little to actually warrant being dead and break an object that was already broken, and at the end of it I felt a bit frustrated because of it. All 4 One was there basically to say "Hey, the comic existed and maybe Nefarious has a conscience!" and while I ended up not getting around to getting Full Frontal Assault other than helping playtest the (excellent) beta, I'm guessing what I missed was Qwark finally being kicked out of the job he was never qualified for in the first place and not too much else.

You have Lombaxes in another dimension, man. You clearly intended to do something with that, what was it? What about Angela Cross, how does she fit into everything since you implied she's a Lombax? And wasn't there something about Talwyn's dad?

Stahp stalling already, Insomniac. You're hurtin' me.

Last edited:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Making a specific prediction under the umbrella of "Nintendo doing the unexpected" is a good way to get your hopes crushed. Not the least of which is expecting a major announcement prior to E3 which would also serve to alleviate some supposed dearth of pre-E3 titles. That's not how things work, even by Nintendo's standards.
But then it isn't unexpected. :4megaman:
Come on y'all let me have my one-liners.

Row Row Fight the Pow-oh
Thank you.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I want to acknowledge and share my opinions on cerain subjects of MvC:I

First, the art style.

The art style in all honesty looks fine to me. It's very much in the same vein as Street Fighter V and in that way I was sort of expecting this type of reaction. Street Fighter V looked flat-out ugly when it was first shown, each time we saw it it got better and better but it didn't truly show how good it was until like a month before launch. When we saw Infinite the whole thing looked like it had a filter of piss yellow on it as Maximilian pointed out at the time. The game looks fine right now and will get better and better over the next 5 months.

Second, Sigma.

I get that people are kinda upset about Sigma not being in the base roster and yeah that's warranted and so are the statements that he is a big part of the story like Schnee117 Schnee117 said. However, I don't feel that you'll be battling Sigma in the story mode and that, all though he is a big part, he himself won't really be all that relevant but Ultron Sigma and Ultron will. That's weird to say but I don't think they would just take a character that's already in the game and just lock him behind a paywall. We all know how that went with Street Fighter X Tekken. I'm not justifying what their doing as right I'm just saying maybe we should all take a wait and see approach, honestly, I'm hyped but if certain things happen to turn out in a way I don't agree with I won't purchase the game. I already made that mistake with SFV.

Third, Fox characters.

There's actually a problem that comes up with every iteration of X-Men or F4 in video games. No matter what, no matter who makes the game Fox will always receive royalties for it. Under their and Marvel's contract Fox is guaranteed to make considerable royalties off of any merchandising associated directly with the X-Men or Fantastic 4. That means toys, cartoons, clothing, and of course, video games. What this means is by cutting Fox characters from the base game Fox will not receive royalties for the entirety of MvC:I. If Fox characters were to be added in the base game Marvel would have to pay a sum for the base game and for ANY content that was added to the game from then on out. A new RE character is added for $5? Yep, Fox gets a sum of money on each sale because even though they have no rights to that character they have rights to a character or two that are in the game and thus receive some of the profit. By limiting Fox characters to DLC Marvel only has to pay for content that is related to the Fox franchises, therefor Fox doesn't make money off of Mega Man or Iron Man etc. It's an obvious business decision BUT that doesn't mean there won't be Fox characters in the base roster. It just seems extremely unlikely. Sony doesn't have that line of merchandising royalties in their contract. Which is why Marvel continued with Spider-man TV shows and toys even when Sony owns the characters rights. Film rights is the only thing Sony owns with Spider-man.

Fourth, DLC.

If we're getting 6 DLC characters then it is safe to assume that 3 will be Capcom and 3 will be Marvel. Of course with my previous explanation of the Contacts it's easy to see characters like Deadpool, Wolverine, and Dr. Doom being the 3. Capcom is a bit of a mixed bag but we do indeed know that Sigma is one of those. The other two are totally up in the air but I would figure they'd go with a character that is HUGELY popular as to warrant the vast majority of players to buy it. I'm not even going to try and guess those characters.

Lastly, release date.

Honestly, I have no idea about this September release date. It's worrying for sure but we don't have any idea how long this game has been in development for. I kinda figure this game started around the same time the Insomniac Spider-man game began development so, like, 2014-2015? Somewhere around there? Which is plenty of time to make a game especially if they're reusing assets from UMvC3. I dunno it's troubling but again, I'll take a wait and see approach to this one.

tl;dr
I'm very cautiously optimistic with this game. I'm hearing things I love and I'm hearing things I hate. I'll hate if they change the inputs from Capcom Fighting Game Inputs to some new **** for sure. It may break the sale for me. However, I can't help but love the general thought of a brand new Marvel Vs. Capcom game with brand new mechanics and characters. So, I'll just have to wait on the Gameplay trailer later this week, then E3, and then launch before I can make my final decision.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
MvC looks fine to me. My boyfriend is very excited about the game and I'm sure it will get lots of playtime in my house. He was looking at that special edition a bit too closely, lol. He wants his X-men though. Personally I'm happy the X series is getting more love. The Marvel additions seem very expected so far. Actually so do the Capcom ones too, for the most part. Waiting for the crazy off-the-wall choices the series usually has.

But! Planning for six DLC characters already and making Sigma one of them is some Capcom nonsense which I'm not very happy about.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I want to acknowledge and share my opinions on cerain subjects of MvC:I

First, the art style.

The art style in all honesty looks fine to me. It's very much in the same vein as Street Fighter V and in that way I was sort of expecting this type of reaction. Street Fighter V looked flat-out ugly when it was first shown, each time we saw it it got better and better but it didn't truly show how good it was until like a month before launch. When we saw Infinite the whole thing looked like it had a filter of piss yellow on it as Maximilian pointed out at the time. The game looks fine right now and will get better and better over the next 5 months.

Second, Sigma.

I get that people are kinda upset about Sigma not being in the base roster and yeah that's warranted and so are the statements that he is a big part of the story like Schnee117 Schnee117 said. However, I don't feel that you'll be battling Sigma in the story mode and that, all though he is a big part, he himself won't really be all that relevant but Ultron Sigma and Ultron will. That's weird to say but I don't think they would just take a character that's already in the game and just lock him behind a paywall. We all know how that went with Street Fighter X Tekken. I'm not justifying what their doing as right I'm just saying maybe we should all take a wait and see approach, honestly, I'm hyped but if certain things happen to turn out in a way I don't agree with I won't purchase the game. I already made that mistake with SFV.

Third, Fox characters.

There's actually a problem that comes up with every iteration of X-Men or F4 in video games. No matter what, no matter who makes the game Fox will always receive royalties for it. Under their and Marvel's contract Fox is guaranteed to make considerable royalties off of any merchandising associated directly with the X-Men or Fantastic 4. That means toys, cartoons, clothing, and of course, video games. What this means is by cutting Fox characters from the base game Fox will not receive royalties for the entirety of MvC:I. If Fox characters were to be added in the base game Marvel would have to pay a sum for the base game and for ANY content that was added to the game from then on out. A new RE character is added for $5? Yep, Fox gets a sum of money on each sale because even though they have no rights to that character they have rights to a character or two that are in the game and thus receive some of the profit. By limiting Fox characters to DLC Marvel only has to pay for content that is related to the Fox franchises, therefor Fox doesn't make money off of Mega Man or Iron Man etc. It's an obvious business decision BUT that doesn't mean there won't be Fox characters in the base roster. It just seems extremely unlikely. Sony doesn't have that line of merchandising royalties in their contract. Which is why Marvel continued with Spider-man TV shows and toys even when Sony owns the characters rights. Film rights is the only thing Sony owns with Spider-man.

Fourth, DLC.

If we're getting 6 DLC characters then it is safe to assume that 3 will be Capcom and 3 will be Marvel. Of course with my previous explanation of the Contacts it's easy to see characters like Deadpool, Wolverine, and Dr. Doom being the 3. Capcom is a bit of a mixed bag but we do indeed know that Sigma is one of those. The other two are totally up in the air but I would figure they'd go with a character that is HUGELY popular as to warrant the vast majority of players to buy it. I'm not even going to try and guess those characters.

Lastly, release date.

Honestly, I have no idea about this September release date. It's worrying for sure but we don't have any idea how long this game has been in development for. I kinda figure this game started around the same time the Insomniac Spider-man game began development so, like, 2014-2015? Somewhere around there? Which is plenty of time to make a game especially if they're reusing assets from UMvC3. I dunno it's troubling but again, I'll take a wait and see approach to this one.

tl;dr
I'm very cautiously optimistic with this game. I'm hearing things I love and I'm hearing things I hate. I'll hate if they change the inputs from Capcom Fighting Game Inputs to some new **** for sure. It may break the sale for me. However, I can't help but love the general thought of a brand new Marvel Vs. Capcom game with brand new mechanics and characters. So, I'll just have to wait on the Gameplay trailer later this week, then E3, and then launch before I can make my final decision.
I don't mean to rain on your a parade regarding DLC, but apparently none of them are Fox characters.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=234707255&postcount=2088

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom