• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't think we'll know for sure until years down the line.

I mean, most of the games past consoles are remembered by only did okay sales wise and often critically.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
So remember the video I posted yesterday of Guilmon with the very deep voice?

Turns out his VA is none other than Dan ****ing Green.

Aka Yugi Muto/Yami Yugi and former Knuckles the Echidna VA.
Dan Green is a fantastic VA.
Speaking of Knuckles, I learned a while back that another Knuckles VA, Travis Willingham, did Roy Mustang from Fullmetal Alchemist <3

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I don't think we'll know for sure until years down the line.

I mean, most of the games past consoles are remembered by only did okay sales wise and often critically.
I think two of the bigger examples of this are Earthbound and F-Zero. Tons of fans, but sales when they were actually active were, uh. . .

The sad part is that both of them actually did get marketing pushes that just. . .didn't go very well at the time. Because of that Nintendo tried brushing them under a rug. Then the people who actually did play them/found them with Smash Bros started having fond feelings and are now asking for them back. . .

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Wii U memorial time? Wii U memorial time it is, sadly.

It was a pretty unconventional console from Nintendo, especially in comparison to its competitors - the PS4 and Xbox One - and it brought with it some games that gave me a lot of entertainment, such as Splatoon, The Wonderful 101, the Bayonetta duology, Smash Bros, Hyrule Warriors; but when we had guests over, it was always a blast to play games like Super Mario 3D World and Nintendo Land early in the system's days.

But since 2015 and throughout 2016, I moved on to the PS4 to play some of the games that I was anticipating like Mortal Kombat X, but now my PS4 library is cluttered with some great hits from 2016, such as Battlefield 1, Overwatch, and even games I've yet to finish like Ratchet & Clank. It's telling that my most played systems last year were the PS4 and 3DS, and one can justify it because there was nothing more coming to the Wii U at that point because Nintendo was ready to move on.

That doesn't mean I've not had fun playing the games on the Wii U, like the ones I mentioned earlier. I've had plenty of fun with it, but I think I'm ready to move on for now.

I might continue to play the Wii U after the Switch's launch since there are quite a few games left in my Wii U library that I'd like to finish, such as Wind Waker HD or Twilight Princess HD, Bayonetta 2, and some last Wii games left like Xenoblade Chronicles.

I'm remaining cautiously optimistic about the Nintendo Switch's future, and I'm pleased at the growing strength of the games that are coming to it; so now I've just got to work on clearing out my backlog.

Sleep well, Wii U. 2012-2017.

Edit: Yeah, the image uploader is brokes, even now. Sableye and Junkrat are gone from my signature.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Sure you have to give it time before you can really be sure.

But if you look at a lot of the games we consider to be "Greatest Hits" or "Classics" or whatever, they all do something, innovative, or different, or just better than everyone else. Something about them was different.

Mario 64 created the standard for 3D platformers and many other genres in general
Halo CE created the standard for console FPS games
Jet Set Radio/Future pioneered cel-shaded visuals
Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2 revolutionized storytelling in FPS games
Earthbound was weird and charming
etc.

I don't really think there's a lot of Wii U games like that. A lot of them just feel, safe.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

So it's up to 100 now. Good to see the number adjusting up, hopefully it keeps going. I'm guessing if it's from that many different firms that this is largely indie titles, though. Hopefully this is only for third parties, otherwise I would have several questions.

*EDIT* It's definitely just the third party titles in those numbers. Nintendo's own work is counted separately in the full translation.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Sure you have to give it time before you can really be sure.

But if you look at a lot of the games we consider to be "Greatest Hits" or "Classics" or whatever, they all do something, innovative, or different, or just better than everyone else. Something about them was different.

Mario 64 created the standard for 3D platformers and many other genres in general
Halo CE created the standard for console FPS games
Jet Set Radio/Future pioneered cel-shaded visuals
Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2 revolutionized storytelling in FPS games
etc.

I don't really think there's a lot of Wii U games like that. A lot of them just feel, safe.
Ah but we can't tell for sure at this point.

For example..

It wasn't seen as charming until like NGC era.

It was just weird.

Our perceptions of things change over time.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Ah but we can't tell for sure at this point.

For example..

It wasn't scene as charming until like NGC era.

It was just weird.

Our perceptions of things change over time.
Fair enough.

Oh, I completely forgot about Wonderful 101.

That definitely seems like the type of game that'd garner a cult following and have it's perceptions change over time.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Beat Gravity Rush: Remastered, really solid game overall.

Fun gameplay, charming characters (Kat may be one of my favorite female protagonists, right up there with Shantae), and the story, while not the best thing since sliced bread, was still engrossing enough to make wanting more.

I said before it reminded me quite a bit of Rodea: The Sky Soldier, and playing puts me in the mood to replay it.

In terms of complaints, you'll sometimes find yourself fighting with camera. I had a similar problem in Rodea, so it could just be a problem for the specific type of game it's trying to be.

I also felt the ending was rather abrupt, nothing that ruins the experience, but it feels like they were just trying to wrap things up.

Overall, I would really recommend Gravity Rush. I'm not going to play the sequel right away, but I'm looking forward to when I eventually do.

I'll end this with my favorite song in the game.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hmmmm.....

Here are the announced first-party titles that will follow the system launch, releasing through 2017 in Japan. Some of those who have seen this lineup have expressed the opinion that the launch lineup is weak.
Our thinking in arranging the 2017 software lineup is that it is important to continue to provide new titles regularly without long gaps. This encourages consumers to continue actively playing the system, maintains buzz, and spurs continued sales momentum for Nintendo Switch
Okay. Bit of a gamble...

Splatoon 2 in particular will offer voice chat, a much-requested feature from our overseas fans, using smart-devices and the ability to bring eight Nintendo Switch systems together for eight-person local multiplayer.
*sigh*

Next I will provide a follow-up report about our software publisher partners. After the presentation on January 13, we have continued to receive requests from more and more software publishers who want to develop games for the system. At the presentation, we announced that there were over 80 titles in development from more than 50 software publishers, but that number has now climbed to over 100 titles from more than 70 publishers. Please look forward to more announcements about the software lineup in the future.
Good stuff.

Finally, I would like to cover our sales company that is planned to start operations in Japan on April 3. In August 2016, we announced that we would acquire one of the largest distributors in Japan handling Nintendo products, JESNET Co. Ltd., as a subsidiary, and that we would accept an assignment of business from AJIOKA Co., Ltd. The purpose of the newly-established company is to provide an integrated system from the development through supply of our products, allowing for rapid decisionmaking and an improvement in sales service. It will operate under the name Nintendo Sale Co., Ltd. The company overview is presented here.
Interesting, though admittedly I'm not sure what this means in the big scheme of things.

We expect that people who enjoy 1-2-Switch themselves will pass the fun on, generating buzz across the world.
lol

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Hmmmm.....

Okay. Bit of a gamble...

*sigh*

Good stuff.

Interesting, though admittedly I'm not sure what this means in the big scheme of things.

lol
Splatoon part's going to get some hellish backlash, but didn't one of the people in charge of the original say voice chat was specifically excluded because they'd had bad experiences online with other shooters? I can't even begin to imagine what actually went on behind the scenes for that game in terms of discussing that function.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
The FE styled Advance Wars game doesn't have naval units, the guns have unlimited uses but they have ammo which has limited uses there's multiple different guns and ammunition for each gun type.

Also there are some monsters. :p

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
So like, what if I don't have a smartphone to voice chat with?

This **** is so stupid. I like the idea as an option, but not a requirement.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター

So it's up to 100 now. Good to see the number adjusting up, hopefully it keeps going. I'm guessing if it's from that many different firms that this is largely indie titles, though. Hopefully this is only for third parties, otherwise I would have several questions.

*EDIT* It's definitely just the third party titles in those numbers. Nintendo's own work is counted separately in the full translation.
<Hopes that one of those titles are Smash since that's the deciding factor into whether I get a Switch or not for sure> :p

Really though, I am hoping that's the case; I'd favor seeing it teased within the month of February or at the very least, some more hints leading to the possibility of the game's existence. Even if we have to wait till E3, the wait could be a lot more bearable for me.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So like, what if I don't have a smartphone to voice chat with?

This **** is so stupid. I like the idea as an option, but not a requirement.
I mean, there's a mic port on the console, so it could be there.

BUT IF IT IS CAN THEY SAY SO?!?!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Smugolin.jpg

I never noticed before, but Pangolin's have to be one of the most smug looking animals

You have nothing to be Smug about Pangolin!

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I mean, there's a mic port on the console, so it could be there.

BUT IF IT IS CAN THEY SAY SO?!?!
There is?

Well, why the **** won't they say so?

The way they've been discussing everything, it feels like smartphone is the only way to do it.

"HAHA! WHO LIKES BULKY GAMER HEADSETS? XDDD"

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
I tried something kinda weird today on Showdown: a made a Sandstorm team and did a few battles with it. Surprisingly enough, it's viable. Only downside is that I really don't have much to work with when it comes to special attackers, so dealing with physical tanks is kinda annoying, but other than that, pretty cool team. I might try and rebuild a similar team in Moon.

:142:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
There is?

The way they've been discussing everything, it feels like smartphone is the only way to do it.

I want to take a guess and say headset support is on a game by game basis.

At best the Splatoon dev was having none of it because they've been on record about that in an interview, at worst Nintendo isn't going to touch it much but third parties are still free to.

Anything better OR worse than that is probably not a thing.

*EDIT* At absolute absolute best case scenario that part was a typo because it was worded a little oddly.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Am I sad the Wii U is officially dead? Yes

Did I waste my time and money I put into the console? ABSOLUTE NOT! There were a ton of games I got for it and most were great experiences. And I ain't ditching it anytime soon.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
There is?

They kind of did.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
No Effect
Not Very Effective
Normal Effectiveness
Super Effective

Electric, Ice, Fighting, Ground

Wow, didn't actually realize bold beam would actually be that good

No Effect
Not Very Effective
Normal Effectiveness
Super Effective

Electric, Flying, Fighting, Ground

Getting SOOO close

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I want to take a guess and say headset support is on a game by game basis.

At best the Splatoon dev was having none of it because they've been on record about that in an interview, at worst Nintendo isn't going to touch it much but third parties are still free to.

Anything better OR worse than that is probably not a thing.

*EDIT* At absolute absolute best case scenario that part was a typo because it was worded a little oddly.
Game by game basis is a lot different than, the whole console doesn't support it.

They kind of did.
Didn't watch the whole video, but again, I just don't get why they don't make it clearer?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
How is something someone tweeted news?

So many news articles just about tweets ALL THE TIME

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Been having some problems with one of my monitors randomly shutting off/not being able to turn on...I suspected the issue with it might be the power cable. Fortunately the cable has the same connector as the one in the PSP charger and seems to deliver the same amount of electricity(7A 125V), so I've swapped it out for that one. Seems to be working so far - and it locks in place, unlike the one that came with the monitor.

Probably will want to get a proper replacement cable at some point, but since I don't use my PSP much anymore it's not a big deal to not be able to charge that.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Thanks to all the users who wished me a happy existance day.

tmp_14880-original.gif.cf-681595893.gif

Ya'll are OK in my book.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
This new internet connection doesn't really seem super fast anymore. It took longer than normal to load this page.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Gaming Industry should cater to gamers first and foremost, and then expand outside. It was the Wii's impact on the competition that turned Gen VII into one of the worst generations. Companies and devs kept trying to make videogames into either waggle-fests or films. And while the best selling games on PS3 didn't sell as well as the best sellers on Wii, look at the top 100, and you see a massive drop off in software sales after the top 9 for Wii, whereas PS3 games consistently sell millions. Likewise, do note that the PS3 was a console with a smaller install base, and far more variety than the Wii. Ofc the majority of Wii software sales would pool into a select number of titles whereas the PS3's is more spread out. This is why you look at the software-hardware tie ratio as well, aka the Attach rate. To see how it all compares in the large scheme of things. Part of the reason of the PS4's current success is because of its record-breaking attach rate, already outpacing the PS2, aka the best-selling console of all time. The evidence is clear, appeal to gamers, and success will come you way. Neglecting the core audience of the industry to branch out and appeal top casuals is absurd. And Nintendo should know by now that that audience is fickle, and only interested in following trends. Only reason Wii was so successful was because it was a trend, not because it was a good machine.
This leads to a core question on what exactly is a true gamer? Are only those who play video games daily on PC, handhled, and home console count as a gamer? Or just simply play any video games occasionally is a gamer?
Myself I think I am between, as a dude who just likes Nintendo games I am a gamer, but that doesn't mean I won't try something new. I will love playing with motion controls and tradition control as long as I play with the games I like.
3DS is Nintendo's WORST-selling handheld.
Oh boy, indeed worst selling handheld for Nintendo themselves, not the worst handheld EVER for sure. Not sure why you put this up.
Sticking to old models is only gonna hold you back, and while the Switch "pretends" to be innovative, it's not. The Vita did everything the Switch could do, and much better. Switch should have been a push into a new section of the market, and regularize the model of mobile gaming, not... "a hybrid console."
Whereas PS and Xbox are doing nothing to be innovative, besides VR for PS.
Uh...no Vita didn't, if you are mentioning PS TV, that didn't go well, so is the Vita. The Switch TV gameplay can seamlessly port to the Switch tablet when taking it out of the dock, and you can also try out many different ways to play. I don't remember Vita can do that. Don't get me wrong though, I think PS Vita being able to play on the TV is still a decent concept, just how would you think that Vita did the concept better than the Switch?
I don't think that's exclusive to Taiwan...
I think many Taiwanese are way more obsessed with their own smartphones thanks to apps like LINE.

That's why I seem so negative, because I'm just frustrated. If I genuinely didn't care, or wanted to see them fail, I wouldn't even bother to discuss the matter.
No offense but your thoughts on Nintendo are similar to a Youtuber that I just unsubbed called Blunty who shares nearly the same thoughts, like you and him both insist that Switch is more of a handheld rather than a console. And that's totally fine, but what made me unsubbed him is because in his video he put up too many subjective opinion and bringing up uncertain information. Like Nintendo's online pay for example, what made me even bumped is how he comment those who disagrees with his thoughts. He seems to be a cool dude in his video, but when it comes to Nintendo, he's sure a toxic brat.

I am a bit curious on why would you feel frustrated... are you one of the Nintendo investors? That's the only reason I can think of. If Nintendo just don't do what you think they should do then I wouldn't even bother.
As such, many thoughts and solutions you put up aren't bad, just aren't the things that Nintendo will do.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
How do you not have a smart phone in 2017?
By not being able to afford one or not wanting one, or losing one, or etc.
Or maybe your phone isn't supported by Nintendo.

I have a Smartphone, I have nothing to worry about personally. But that doesn't mean it's not an issue.
It means that now, I shall talk, and you shall listen.
*mutes*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom