• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I wish Level-5 would show a bit more about this game already though, we still haven't really heard or seen much of the new game yet, other than the new title and that apparently Luke will return. Like, they still haven't shown off any of the new mysteries yet, they can keep the main plot a secret, but they should show a little more. Especially since they don't seem to be hyping the game up very much, (At least, not as much outside of Japan.)
Luke is returning? That's new information to me. When was that revealed?

With Luke now confirmed to return, it seems that it intensified a certain Layton theory:

The possibility that Luke might be Katrielle's real father while Hershel was more of an adoptive father.

Then again, we'll need to see Luke's role in the game and how he interacts with Katrielle to determine if there will be any hints leading to a potential twist like that.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Luke is returning? That's new information to me. When was that revealed?

With Luke now confirmed to return, it seems that it intensified a certain Layton theory:

The possibility that Luke might be Katrielle's real father while Hershel was more of an adoptive father.

Then again, we'll need to see Luke's role in the game and how he interacts with Katrielle to determine if there will be any hints leading to a potential twist like that.
Not too long after the Direct, I hope that theory is true, it will make this whole thing make a whole lot more sense.

I hope they bring back some more characters though, such as Flora and Emmy.

D

Deleted member

So, SoT thoughts
Story spoilers are under another tag so don't worry, but there are gameplay ones if you care about that
Gameplay:
Specter Knight
Specter controls more similarly to Shovel when compared to Plague but he is much more agile, no in running speed but in attack speed and the scythe dash mechanic.
While in the air, Specter can dash diagonally towards basically any object and all enemies, a line of flame shows up to indicate which object he's locked onto. This is used for platforming secfions to get to higher places or jump across pits/spikes and in combat where it results in a much faster Shovel Drop.
You can end up dying by being impatient with it(the ****ing Tower of Fate stage) but after some levels you'll have if as second nature.
Specter can also walk on walls for some time and jump on them some walls can't be climbed and that's usually when you'll need to use the scythe dash to get higher.
Just like Plague, he gets a cute little animations by holding down, instead of a dance, it's a crossed arms pose because he's on the edge.

Relics and other powerups
"Relics" are obtained through red skulls, this game's collectibles. I feel like it's a much better method than gold, this way, it can be spent on the cloaks, though you'll still need it for upgrades.
The "relics" in SoT are either situational or incredibly useful and fun.
Stuff like the three projectiles won't see much use, claw attack has its uses the Skeleton Sentry is almost useless, lantern shield is op as **** and the health recovering is boring but practical. There are four that I really liked though: the hovering one, which allows Specter to float for some seconds ala his boss fight and can get him invincible with the upgrade, great for saving your ass or getting collectibles that are just too high; the mirror summons a Stand spirit of Specter a set distance from him and will copy Specter's moves, with the upgrade, it goes farther and can collect items as well making it great for picking up gold since summoning it does not cost magic, only attacking; the time-slowing coin is incredibly useful for basically anything you need, be it bosses or platforming; and finally, the dash orb allows him to dash towards the closest enemy(also like in his boss fight) and perform an upwards scythe dash, however, it goes through walls meaning you can skip some annoying part thanks to this.
All of them can be upgraded which is something really nice as the previous ones didn't have such feature.
Also, cloaks, there's one that makes pits and spikes not kill you instantly and instead drain HP and magic, one that allows you to grind on any surface, the charge attack one, some weird one I didn't buy and the obligatory "fancy" one. Grinding one is the one to go because **** your spikes.

Stages and bosses
The stages are severely different from vanilla, PoS had them almost the same but now they not only have different layouts, some have completely new areas and new aesthetics. Makes sense considering it's a prequel.
Bosses are changed too, but did YCG get ambitious, Black Knight gets a mount, King Knight destroys the ground, Polar Knight has a whole scrolling arena instead of just one screen, so on and so on.
They have all been updated to fit Specter's style and it's great.
While some stages were lost with the lack of a map, there are two new ones in the form of flashbacks, the first is short but the second features what is probably my favorite boss fight in all of the campaigns.

Music:
Not much to say here, most music is remixed and I didn't recognize many new ones. Love the remixes though and I am thankful I don't have to hunt them all down to get them

Story:
Now we get to the spoilers
Much like PoS, this story really helped to flesh out Specter's character.
Instead of romance and drama, we instead have tragedy and regrets.
Specter is a character who lost everything to his own greed and even if we don't see much from Luan, the game manages to create a bond between the two through the gameplay.
I like how they gave Reize a more prominent role, with him being one of the bosses from the "Create your own Boss" reward. It shows that those four are really SK characters, well, him and Phantok Striker; Baz only shows up once without a fight and Mr. Hat is completely absent. Baz at least got something back in PoS so I was disappointed at no Hat.
Still, both of those two are implemented naturally in the story and I'm happy for it.
In the end, it really makes you feel sorry for Specter as we know he doesn't get much better aside from freedom in the end, and Plague even steals his locket!!!!
Speaking of which, I loved the Call Back to PoS in the ending, reminds me that PlagueXMona is the OTP.

Maybe with King Knight's campaign, it'll be a sequel and Specter will get the conclusion he deserves because I want need a scene of him sparring with Reize or something.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I do agree that currently, I don't really feel it that much for this game either at the moment. Especially since Level-5 hasn't really done much to get me excited for those new characters they dropped on us since late last year (Which I guess I'm in the minority of but yeah....) So I'm waiting to see more of them first.
For me personally, it's just giving me a slightly different vibe to what I normally get from Layton games. And I know why, it's because they said they're really aiming for the female demographic with this game, and it shows - from the cute talking animal mascot, to the butler character, etc. I'm sure it'll still be good, but this also makes me concerned about how well written the story is and how challenging the puzzles will be (the mobile release also concerns me regarding the latter).

As far as I'm concerned, the six games (and the Ace Attorney crossover) we got already are Professor Layton's saga, and while I'm sure the new game will be good and I know Professor Layton is in it, we already have a satisfying story done and dusted now, so anything else is just extra at this point.

There's also just the fact that this year is stacked for gaming and there will be other stuff coming out around that time that will keep me busy so Lady Layton is lower priority for me.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
For me personally, it's just giving me a slightly different vibe to what I normally get from Layton games. And I know why, it's because they said they're really aiming for the female demographic with this game, and it shows - from the cute talking animal mascot, to the butler character, etc. I'm sure it'll still be good, but this also makes me concerned about how well written the story is and how challenging the puzzles will be (the mobile release also concerns me regarding the latter).

As far as I'm concerned, the six games (and the Ace Attorney crossover) we got already are Professor Layton's saga, and while I'm sure the new game will be good and I know Professor Layton is in it, we already have a satisfying story done and dusted now, so anything else is just extra at this point.

There's also just the fact that this year is stacked for gaming and there will be other stuff coming out around that time that will keep me busy so Lady Layton is lower priority for me.
I mean, they had a female audience in mind since the beginning. Curious Village was designed with that basis in mind. If I recall, Hershel was designed to be "the perfect gentleman" type character. Hence why he's so popular among many female players.

I think a part of me of why I'm not feeling that much for this game is probably because I'm not really fond of the whole idea of the game not having one huge plot, and instead having a lot of smaller mysteries instead.

It reminds me a little too much of the Azran Egg fetch quest from Azran Legacy. Which I guess is part of the reason why It's the sole entry I never really replayed again. I mean, I wouldn't mind them as much if they where optional sidequests, so long as it isn't forced on me when I just want to learn about the main storyline.

And I guess I'd probably feel less excited for the series onward if this ends up being a staple to the series. But I'll give Lady Layton the benefit of the doubt for now and hope that Level-5 has at least improved the system a little.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I just ran into a video that used a screenshot from one of my old videos.

And of course it's of Rosalina.

First 4chan is using my stuff and now YouTube.

I should really get on making that proper YouTube channel this summer.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Guys

I just watched video of someone who modded Eggman into City Escape.

I cried because it was so beautiful

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Hey @Akxareth, your waifu had one. Can't blame them since Dragon Knights are among the coolest classes in Final Fantasy. She's also a pretty cool character herself (But who should I ship her with?).

Anyways, it's time for Rhythm Heaven and we already have a nice selection of characters to choose from (each from a specific era or game). Your choices are Karate Joe, the infamous Chorus Kids, the Ringside Wrestler (@GoldenYuiitusin), and Tibby from Megamix.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

I still can't get over my 400 follower count. It's a miracle and not even close to my birthday ether.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Clearly this means we can expect tons of really campy voice acting humour.

Will Knuckles "oh no" once again?

No but really this is encouraging to hear.

MF Viewtiful

Son MF
Switch FC
SW 4028 6305 8614
Been playing Plague Knights campaign because Kenith and Shishoe talking about Spectre knight brought me back to SK

Enjoying PK more than I did SK for some reason even though I feel it is more clunky. Maybe I just like Plague knight as a character or thematically. Learned to dance and took out 4 levels so far

And something completely unrelated
Jinder Mahal and the shining Stars won two seperate matches on the same night. wattttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

I hope the Colons are getting a push. Just like Mojo, I like those jobbers. Especially those two because im 100% certain they can be great (Pretty sure they are both veterans anyway)

But the actual reason I am even bothering to post about this is THE SHINING STARS CHANGED THEMES

Their old theme was easily my favorite theme even if it was weird AF. New one sounds like it might have a lame intro but sounds like the rest might be better.

RIP theme

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Dr. Eggman <3
Also, even with its flaws, Sonic Adventure 2 is still a very much enjoyable game. What's your favorite level? Mine's Crazy Gadget :3
Not a huge fan of the game personally, but City Escape, Metal Harbour, and Radical Highway stand out to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom