• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Except Final Fantasy XIII is literally 8 years old by now.

Most fans likely have moved on since the trilogy isn't relevant anymore and XV likely distracts them from that as the superior game.
Friendly reminder that Final Fantasy fans, especially VI fans, still **** on VII to this day for being overrated or having ****ty characters (usually citing Cloud and Sephiroth as examples). Or saying that even the story and graphics aged poorly.

And Fisher is right, the XIII hate never ends.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Friendly reminder that Final Fantasy fans, especially VI fans, still **** on VII to this day for being overrated or having ****ty characters (usually citing Cloud and Sephiroth as examples). Or saying that even the story and graphics aged poorly.

And Fisher is right, the XIII hate never ends.
To be fair, FFVII's graphics outside of the cutscenes are pretty bad now. The polygons did not age very well. I've been wanting a nice graphical update for ages now(and I don't even like the game, but I do respect it). I was very happy to hear about the remake... till the battle system change, anyway. Turn-based or battle gauge for life!

everyone on my moms side had their galbladder removed and so did my sister so I say me having the same problems will be inevitable
Ouch. Well, good luck with the inevitable surgery and I hope everything turns out okay. :)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Tbh I was never a fan of FFVII myself.

Though maybe that's because I played the glory that is FFIX first.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Sakurai: Oh boy, this Kirby Super Star concert is going to be good.

Friend: Sakurai, this concert is about celebrating Kirby's entire history, all the games, including the newer ones.

Sakurai: NOOOOOOOOOO! *melts*

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
To be fair, FFVII's graphics outside of the cutscenes are pretty bad now. The polygons did not age very well. I've been wanting a nice graphical update for ages now(and I don't even like the game, but I do respect it). I was very happy to hear about the remake... till the battle system change, anyway. Turn-based or battle gauge for life!

Ouch. Well, good luck with the inevitable surgery and I hope everything turns out okay. :)
Of course the graphics didn't age well. And saying that is pretty obvious. It could be said for most PS1 and N64 era games that are in 3D. Barring a select few exceptions.

You can make an argument about the characters still. Though I would say Cloud was alright until everything after the original game, where his mopey attitude was cranked to 11.

Big blocky polygons are beutiful.

DK 64, Banjo kazooie, and all the blocky games like them and FF7 are the most gorgeous things I have ever seen

what im not biased

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Of course the graphics didn't age well. And saying that is pretty obvious. It could be said for most PS1 and N64 era games that are in 3D. Barring a select few exceptions.

You can make an argument about the characters still. Though I would say Cloud was alright until everything after the original game, where his mopey attitude was cranked to 11.
I cannot stand Cloud after VII. He's just hopelessly emo, when that was unneeded. I'm glad they made him sound sweet in Smash 4.

Although I will note that they used really bad polygons designs in VII, as is. It's not just PS1. It was unimpressive in itself, and really a low polygon count. FFVIII had significantly better polygonal graphics, and I don't mean cutscenes. That's the reason I wanted a graphical update. It really needed one to look halfway decent. It had horrid polygons from the start. Just... bad. :/

The menus, and sprites, and cutscenes looked great in VII, though. Same with the other stuff, like music, gameplay, characterization, it's just one small thing holding the original back, really.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Big blocky polygons are beutiful.

DK 64, Banjo kazooie, and all the blocky games like them and FF7 are the most gorgeous things I have ever seen

what im not biased
If we're talking old 3D, It's all about Tekken 3 my dude. Spyro and Mega Man Legends were fairly impressive looking too, for the times.

The Zelda and Pokemon Stadium games weren't TOO awful to look at either. I'm pretty sure the Pokemon models were only slightly tweaked for Pokemon Colosseum, and it was mostly fine.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
She's not even comparable to those because those aren't even the main protagonists of their games, they're just fan favourites (though tbh I wouldn't even put Silver in that camp, he isn't very popular. I'd put Shadow or Blaze there instead), who now are treated somewhat like main characters due to them being so beloved.

Lightning is just another FF protagonist, and is treated as such in most spin-off games. Just like how Cloud reps FFVII, Lightning reps FFXIII. She also just so happens to be one of the more popular ones, especially in Japan because of some weird cultural reasons (something to do with her being a "symbol of strength" or something?). She's received a decent bit of independent merchandising and promotion but nowhere near the level of Cloud. Even Noctis has more I'd say and he's barely been around. A large part of why she's popular is because she's the one, definitive female FF main protagonist that nobody can argue isn't the main protagonist of her FF game (FFVI had Terra/Tina but from what I hear, she's not even the "main" protagonist per se, even though she's usually the spin-off rep, other characters in the game are just as important as her).

All of the complaining about Lightning being "forced" is just a vocal minority who are in denial about her being a beloved FF character, and being in denial that people can actually like the FFXIII games. We've got plenty of evidence to show she's well liked, and her treatment isn't much different than any other FF protagonist who starred in an FF game with great sales (FFXIII sold really well).

Just watch, in about 5 more years, you'll see the term "Nintendo's Noctis" being thrown around because obviously Noctis was ALWAYS this forced character NOBODY liked. :p
Wasn't she made to be the protagonist in Dissidia 012? I feel that comes across as quite forced for a game like Dissidia, which imo, should treat the characters equally (except maybe Warrior of Light).

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
So I just beat BotW (although, I'm certainly not finished with the game) and have some disappointments to share:

Hyrule Castle, for me, sucked. I was expecting something so epic, but I accidentally got to the very end just via curiosity. I used Revali's Gale a couple of times, walked in and boom, Calamity Ganon.

I'll go back and do it 'properly', but was a little annoyed that there wasn't some creative way around that. For example, like with the other Divine Beasts, some sort of control points to unlock around the castle. Make it more like an epic dungeon.

That's my complaint for the entire game. The Divine Beasts were disappointing, and the bosses were kinda dull. I wanted to explore epic dungeons like I explore the epic overworld.

That's all really.

But I'll go back to the castle and walk through it and kill heaps of guardians.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
People like Lightning too.

But they all have big hatebases.
Um, Silver is not very popular, though, unlike the rest listed. That was the point. Sure, all have hatebases too. But Silver has a much bigger hatebase than a fanbase. The others you listed? Their fanbase easily trump their hatebase.

It's just a bad example, that's all.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
People like Lightning too.

But they all have big hatebases.
Well I wasn't aware of big hatebases for Rosalina outside of crazy Daisy fans or for Lucario. I assumed Silver just winds up a victim of being from Sonic '06.

And of course people like Lightning. I sort of made my comment in jest but my real point was I thought more people liked the other characters than disliked whereas, at least from my experiences, it's the opposite for Lightning.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Yeah, just because it seems like everyone hates a character doesn't mean every single living person does.

Believe it or not there are people who actually like Jerry.

And Mewtwo.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Wasn't she made to be the protagonist in Dissidia 012? I feel that comes across as quite forced for a game like Dissidia, which imo, should treat the characters equally (except maybe Warrior of Light).
All of the new characters in Dissidia 012 were treated as the main protagonists of that game's new story arc. Lightning was just part of that group (along with Vaan, Kain, Yuna, Tifa, and Laguna).

Plus I don't know why Lightning haters would complain about her role in that game because she straight up dies in the old Dissidia canon.

Well I wasn't aware of big hatebases for Rosalina outside of crazy Daisy fans
Clearly you haven't kept up with the Smash community much.

The term "Nintendo's Lightning" literally debuted when Rosalina was announced for Smash. The exact same date.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
"The wait until Terraria Switch is going to kill me. I could get it off Steam in the meanwhile since it's fairly cheap. . .meh, maybe if it goes something like 50% off."

*goes on Twitter to check feed a couple days later*

*Terraria is 40% off*

. . .Welp, I guess that's a sign.

. . .Granted, the last time I said something it was a sign I didn't get my money out of it looking back, but this is practically the price of a Virtual Console game.

Another cute thing to come from the concert.

Assuming that isn't just them joking like it might very well be because I'm kinda thick, who the heck is saying Sakurai doesn't have a sense of humor?

The guy wrote Uprising. The localization took some liberties, but the game is far too unhinged to be just that. Never mind that Smash is functionally a slapstick cartoon in the form of a video game.

He's a little reserved compared to some other game creators, but his sense of humor is incredible.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
"The wait until Terraria Switch is going to kill me. I could get it off Steam in the meanwhile since it's fairly cheap. . .meh, maybe if it goes something like 50% off."

*Terraria is 40% off*

. . .Granted, the last time I said something it was a sign I didn't get my money out of it looking back, but this is practically the price of a Virtual Console game.

Assuming that isn't just them joking like it might very well be because I'm kinda thick, who the heck is saying Sakurai doesn't have a sense of humor?

The guy wrote Uprising. The localization took some liberties, but the game is far too unhinged to be just that. Never mind that Smash is functionally a slapstick cartoon in the form of a video game.

He's a little reserved compared to some other game creators, but his sense of humor is incredible.
Actually the entirety of Uprising's script was entirely rewritten for the English release. They hired an actual comedian to write it IIRC.

That's why there was a notable difference between the quality of Uprising's writing and the Palutena's Guidances in Smash. The latter was just a pure Treehouse effort.

Though the original Japanese script was still based on humour. In general, Sakurai's sense of humour is more in the deadpan/dark humour territory.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Actually the entirety of Uprising's script was entirely rewritten for the English release. They hired an actual comedian to write it IIRC.

That's why there was a notable difference between the quality of Uprising's writing and the Palutena's Guidances in Smash. The latter was just a pure Treehouse effort.

Though the original Japanese script was still based on humour. In general, Sakurai's sense of humour is more in the deadpan/dark humour territory.
Which comedian was it?

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

You can tell both the quality of the localization and the fact that there's still humor poking through from the original script with the Guidances. The humor is a bit less polished but the characters definitely still don't give much more of a crud.

And you aren't going to translate body motions, which leads to every little tidbit of visual comedy in Uprising still being intact. That's what I mean when I say the localization took liberties but the game is too unhinged for that. The levels and expressions alone go so over the top that it's definitely not just the incredible localization team at work, and when I heard of a localization difference due to the original line being more questionable the original line was still being played for comedy.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
All of the new characters in Dissidia 012 were treated as the main protagonists of that game's new story arc. Lightning was just part of that group (along with Vaan, Kain, Yuna, Tifa, and Laguna).

Plus I don't know why Lightning haters would complain about her role in that game because she straight up dies in the old Dissidia canon.

Clearly you haven't kept up with the Smash community much.

The term "Nintendo's Lightning" literally debuted when Rosalina was announced for Smash. The exact same date.
I thought Lightning was presented as the leader of that group.

I have kept up with the Smash community. I was actively involved in a lot of discussions when Rosalina was revealed (as well as before) and not once have I seen the phrase, "Nintendo's Lightning" until now. A quick google search brings up some forum threads discussing it, so I guess I was just involved in other talk involving Rosalina and not that.

Also, please don't make assumptions of things I "clearly" haven't done. It really annoys me.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I think I just found a reference to the Dominion Rod....It's not exact but out of all rods and staffs featured in previous games it's more similar in design to the Dominion Rod...

I wouldn't call this supporting evidence for the Child Timeline or anything, since it's likely the Dominion Rod was already known since before the events of OoT anywyas, but still pretty cool nonetheless...

I found this on the ruins in Ash Swamp btw...

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I wouldn't say I'm necessarily a competent person, but sometimes I wonder if people around me think I'm more daft than I actually am.

On the internet in particular it seems to be several times now that I've tried to make a comment with one idea in mind and people respond to me by informing me of something else that I already know and acknowledge. In real life the situations are more varied but I'm still left with the feeling that people think I have less of a grasp on some things than I actually do.

I guess I'm just horrid at describing what I actually mean? It would certainly make sense, I'm rather awful at communication.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Lightning is basically the Rosalina, Silver or Lucario of Final Fantasy.

Character is ultimately fine.
I get the idea of comparing it to characters that have "hate bases", but Lightning is kinda in her own tier with Silver. Lucario and Rosalina don't compare as they've been in games that a lot of people enjoy. Lightning has been in a controversial game since inception, and Silver's first game....well yeah.

With Rosa and Lucario, they are standard characters without anything really bad about them, but the cheese factor from Silver and Lightning are through the roof. She wasn't too bad in the first game, however.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Just got through with the backlog and clearly I have missed some **** tonight.

Going to try to retain my faith in humanity and trudge on.

Thankfully, this helps:

baby back bull****
And this:

Another cute thing to come from the concert.

upload_2017-4-17_0-47-59.png

I needed those laughs, and thank ye kindly.

And now for something completely different.

Scientsis have a name for these people
Scientsis? Haven't heard from them recently.

I don't see how the native civilization of Scients IV are relevant here but I suppose outside confirmation is good.

*Terraria is 40% off*

I thought you already had it on PC.

What'd you get Terarria on originally?

I wouldn't say I'm necessarily a competent person, but sometimes I wonder if people around me think I'm more daft than I actually am.
I've always considered you rather sharp, all told. Occasionally naive, but sharp.

Granted, please consider the source - a snark fiend puppeteering a cosplay Pikachu - but if you're asking for opinions, that's mine.

I said the same thing about you FE nerds but NOBODY LISTENS TO THE DOCTOR ANYMORE.
Of course I'm not listening to you.

You'd tell me to eat healthy stuff.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Just got through with the backlog and clearly I have missed some **** tonight.

Going to try to retain my faith in humanity and trudge on.

Thankfully, this helps:

And this:

View attachment 128108

I needed those laughs, and thank ye kindly.

And now for something completely different.

Scientsis? Haven't heard from them recently.

I don't see how the native civilization of Scients IV are relevant here but I suppose outside confirmation is good.

I thought you already had it on PC.

What'd you get Terarria on originally?

I've always considered you rather sharp, all told. Occasionally naive, but sharp.

Granted, please consider the source - a snark fiend puppeteering a cosplay Pikachu - but if you're asking for opinions, that's mine.

Of course I'm not listening to you.

You'd tell me to eat healthy stuff.
Well, I had it on my PS3. . .which stopped updating at 1.2.4 and I've shelved it to have an HDMI port for the Switch anyway since the poor PS3 was just collecting dust at this point. . .and I had it on a mobile phone that I no longer have service for and was also an extremely far behind version.

So it's been. . .multiple times, but for various reasons it wouldn't have been very convenient to pull out and they were kind of inferior.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom