• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
No offense but Brawlhalla looks like a mix of SSF2 and Club Penguin lol
Also, promoting the game that way will only bring some brutal backlash

lol chill

The prank that kills small Melee children.

Im a simple man, I see Emilia and I press Lik

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I hear the damage bonus got nerfed from x3 to +10, which is still pretty good considering they're doubling most of the time(don't you just need +1 Spd to double in Gaiden?).
Yeah, it's just "if your speed is higher than the enemy's, you double", and it returns in Echoes (I think they brought back almost every formula from Gaiden, really. Crit% is (skill+luck)/2, and almost every enemy has 0 Luck, so prepare for every player character (except someone really bad, like Clive) to hit tons of crits). I think Palla struggles with doubling still, since her speed growth is bad (30% compared to Catria's 55%), but Clair with her dumb 70% speed growth, Catria, and Est, should have no such trouble. I think in general, the only enemies you won't be doubling are mercenaries and their promoted forms, but since they just have to be faster than you, that of course means almost everyone in your party gets doubled by them instead.

I think nerfing the bonus against monsters was unnecessary. Most monsters pose no threat at all, so it's just making them live longer without increasing the challenge, which means fights can drag on a lot longer than they need to. Any map with a summoner will take several turns longer than they already do, now, and they already are pretty long since summoners are usually stuck on supply tiles that give them +40 Avoid (so you can't snipe them with an archer too easily), and recover health every turn.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
They don't ignore his other traits anyway. Him being an *** is just a unique personality compared to his snarker, which is still overall there too. He's pretty boring when he isn't an *** at first, and they barely develop him at all. He's the blandest of the main characters overall, sadly. The rest either had more unique personalities from the start(Rouge, Tails) or gained quite a bit(Amy, Shadow as of his game). Overall, I'd say the other universes made him more memorable than "simple heroic personality". I mean, he's still less bland than Mario, who has barely a personality(bar the spin-offs, like Comics, etc.).

Also, he develops from being an *** to a better person... although not often. Sadly this only happened in Underground, but character development was a bigger focus. No idea why they couldn't develop him during SATAM when it had a proper continuity. Sonic X kind of does, but he's his game personality anyway. Impossible to properly do in Adventures and Boom due to lack of proper continuity, however. Do note that I'm not referring to the games.

Chronicles is still pretty much its own thing overall, and they did clearly intend to add it into the game canon, but it never became canon however. Which is probably due to it having completely unique characterizations, and likely trying to bring the Comic stuff in. Sega overall saying "nope" to that is understandable, never mind other possible copyright issues with the storyline. At least, that's from what I understand on why it isn't canon.
...But they do?
And I don't get what you mean by half of this. "Him being an *** is just a unique personality compared to his snarker". What does that even mean?

Sonic is never supposed to "develop" to be a better person because he's already a nice guy. You had said that him becoming an *** was a "character development", which I contested, but now it sounds like you suddenly think the opposite. Which is it?

Sonic was never just a "simple heroic personality" either. The entire point when initially creating him was to not make him that, as a foil to Mario. He's always been a bit different in that regard, especially in how he doesn't necessarily follow the law, and how he isn't bound by duty. I'd also argue he's much more complex than characters like Tails or Amy, but that's a whole other discussion.

Chronicles being canon or not (I don't view Sonic as having a real overarching canon in the games anyway) has absolutely no bearing on my point. Characterisation and canon are two completely different things (the former pertains to the characters and how consistent their personalities are between games, the latter refers to the official chain of events. Something not being canon is not really an excuse to ignore established characterisation, especially if it's within the same universe like Chronicles is). My point was that Sonic has an established character, as do other characters, and Chronicles broke that. It's not the only game or piece of media to do that, but it's the one that was being discussed.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
More thoughts on Samurai Jack:
So how was Aku able to break Scotsman's sword (with magic runes) but Jack's blessed sword couldn't?

Also glad to see the Woolies are going to show up next episode.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
...But they do?
And I don't get what you mean by half of this. "Him being an *** is just a unique personality compared to his snarker". What does that even mean?

Sonic is never supposed to "develop" to be a better person because he's already a nice guy. You had said that him becoming an *** was a "character development", which I contested, but now it sounds like you suddenly think the opposite. Which is it?

Sonic was never just a "simple heroic personality" either. The entire point when initially creating him was to not make him that, as a foil to Mario. He's always been a bit different in that regard, especially in how he doesn't necessarily follow the law, and how he isn't bound by duty. I'd also argue he's much more complex than characters like Tails or Amy, but that's a whole other discussion.

Chronicles being canon or not (I don't view Sonic as having a real overarching canon in the games anyway) has absolutely no bearing on my point. Characterisation and canon are two completely different things (the former pertains to the characters and how consistent their personalities are between games, the latter refers to the official chain of events. Something not being canon is not really an excuse to ignore established characterisation, especially if it's within the same universe like Chronicles is). My point was that Sonic has an established character, as do other characters, and Chronicles broke that. It's not the only game or piece of media to do that, but it's the one that was being discussed.
I prefer a Sonic that develops as is. It's that simple. I don't like bland characters that are the same forever. It's not interesting.

And yes, he's always been a simple heroic personality. With snark. That's unfortunately all he really is, outside of actual various interpretations that bother to change it up a bit. And he isn't even that complex either. Hell, his own point is that he's a simple person. He intentionally makes it sound that way. "I'm just a guy who loves speed."

I love the fact that other series bother to mold him into a personality, not just have him "be that". We never see his past, so it gets boring with the same personality over and over.

And yes, he's an ass, just with snark even higher than normal, in other interpretations. The key factor is he can slowly gain character development and personality traits, and has. He's never really gotten complex in his regular form. And I clearly see that as an issue. He's too simple. I don't care about the fact he was a foil to Mario. That stopped being relevant when he stopped being a pure rival to him for his "reason to exist". Sega's a third party development. It doesn't even close to matter anymore on that front. Sonic should be himself, and show real development for once. With all these games starring him and only him, you'd think basic character development would be part of it. But they didn't do anything useful with his characterization, just kept it the same. Even Amy(who is vastly more complex because they actually, you know, gave her some kind of development) showed some hidden depths, more than once, even. They developed her pretty early on in Adventure 1, and it was a great change in that game.

If you don't want Sonic to develop, that's fine. But I don't think it benefits him to be the same character with little differences beyond his new gameplay. After heavily developing every other main character, never mind having main characters who are more complex as well, they could at least bother to do so to the key character. It doesn't even need to be much anyway. Just something new to him. Like, all we've even close to gotten is that there's a possible chance he feels the same way about Amy... and that's just from Sonic X, anyway(which is his canon game personality), and that should seriously have slowly translated(although it was nice Unleashed kind of attempted to show that). It's still some development, but it's barely anything.

Anyway, it's obvious we see him in a different light. So there's no point in going back and forth. I think him starting as an ass leads to better characterization overall. You don't. No big deal either way.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Just saying.

If you people think Sonic is an ass, I'm afraid of what you think your average Joe is like.

Sonic is snarky, but he's not an ass.

D

Deleted member

More thoughts on Samurai Jack:
So how was Aku able to break Scotsman's sword (with magic runes) but Jack's blessed sword couldn't?

Also glad to see the Woolies are going to show up next episode.
Aku's power is probably more than enough to overpower the MAGIC RUNES, LADDIE. As for why it wouldn't be cut in two by Jack's sword, probably because the MAGIC RUNES, LADDIE only made the sword more durable in comparison to the average sword that Jack could cut through, not necessarily completely invincible.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I prefer a Sonic that develops as is. It's that simple. I don't like bland characters that are the same forever. It's not interesting.

And yes, he's always been a simple heroic personality. With snark. That's unfortunately all he really is, outside of actual various interpretations that bother to change it up a bit. And he isn't even that complex either. Hell, his own point is that he's a simple person. He intentionally makes it sound that way. "I'm just a guy who loves speed."

I love the fact that other series bother to mold him into a personality, not just have him "be that". We never see his past, so it gets boring with the same personality over and over.

And yes, he's an ***, just with snark even higher than normal, in other interpretations. The key factor is he can slowly gain character development and personality traits, and has. He's never really gotten complex in his regular form. And I clearly see that as an issue. He's too simple. I don't care about the fact he was a foil to Mario. That stopped being relevant when he stopped being a pure rival to him for his "reason to exist". Sega's a third party development. It doesn't even close to matter anymore on that front. Sonic should be himself, and show real development for once. With all these games starring him and only him, you'd think basic character development would be part of it. But they didn't do anything useful with his characterization, just kept it the same. Even Amy(who is vastly more complex because they actually, you know, gave her some kind of development) showed some hidden depths, more than once, even. They developed her pretty early on in Adventure 1, and it was a great change in that game.

If you don't want Sonic to develop, that's fine. But I don't think it benefits him to be the same character with little differences beyond his new gameplay. After heavily developing every other main character, never mind having main characters who are more complex as well, they could at least bother to do so to the key character. It doesn't even need to be much anyway. Just something new to him. Like, all we've even close to gotten is that there's a possible chance he feels the same way about Amy... and that's just from Sonic X, anyway(which is his canon game personality), and that should seriously have slowly translated(although it was nice Unleashed kind of attempted to show that). It's still some development, but it's barely anything.

Anyway, it's obvious we see him in a different light. So there's no point in going back and forth. I think him starting as an *** leads to better characterization overall. You don't. No big deal either way.
...I've never looked at a post and been so baffled by how wrong everything is, lol.

I'll just say that I do like seeing Sonic get development, but that's not achieved by ignoring his character entirely and making him an ass.

It's also not a development because there is nothing to cause such a change. It's a writing screw up whenever it happens.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Just saying.

If you people think Sonic is an ***, I'm afraid of what you think your average Joe is like.

Sonic is snarky, but he's not an ***.
People also forget Sonic is a hedgehog, but in the basic concepts of our human age groups?

He's a god damn teenager. He's a snarky and somewhat **** teenage boy who just happens to be a hedgehog.

Yeah, sometimes his personality makes him do and say some dumb ****.

But guess what? That's realistic, because he's a teenager. And teenagers **** up.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Just saying.

If you people think Sonic is an ***, I'm afraid of what you think your average Joe is like.

Sonic is snarky, but he's not an ***.
He's an ass in some adaptions of the character. He's not just a snark in Boom, especially the show. But they do that purposely because it's an alternate universe Sonic so they can make him more unique.

But it does help that in cases like Underground, where he was purposely an ass, he actually grew better slowly through development. One of his more interesting showings, really.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Middle of the street. If anyone sees a video pop up with the thumbnail inside a car, for the love of god don't click on it
In that case, if anyone here is from Cleveland, stay safe.

If you're seeing this post and are from Cleveland where this is happening, that probably means you're inside on your computer and that you should stay there for a while.

I have to wonder why people do this crap. :\

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
In that case, if anyone here is from Cleveland, stay safe.

If you're seeing this post and are from Cleveland where this is happening, that probably means you're inside on your computer and that you should stay there for a while.

I have to wonder why people do this crap. :\
The guy is a 6'1 bald African-American with a full beard, identified as Steve Stephens

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
He also claims that he's gonna keep killing until he's caught.

I hope he's found soon. The fact that he keeps broadcasting himself on Facebook should make him easier to track.

D

Deleted member

I just watched the video, it's crazy how someone can just walk up and blow someone's head off that easily.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I hope everyone in Cleveland stays safe. The amount of fear everyone there is go through is unimaginable.

I can only hope the police find this man as soon as possible.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I may be wrong but I heard that Facebook was pretty slow on taking that video down.

Still, **** that asshole for what he did. I hope he gets captured.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
I may be wrong but I heard that Facebook was pretty slow on taking that video down.

Still, **** that ******* for what he did. I hope he gets captured.
Page got taken down, but duplicates keep appearing.

The 15 kills claim seems to be unverified, but still, people of Cleveland, be safe.

If someone lives near that area, report to the police if you see a white Ford Fusion roaming.
EDIT: This is the car https://twitter.com/CLEpolice/status/853763185685528576

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Okay, straight up.

I never seen something so appalling as what that man did.

Like I hope the authorities find him and subdue him and the sole fact that he has the whole city of Cleveland in fear and danger on freaking Easter Day makes me so angry and sad.

Like straight up **** this dude and I hope someone stops him soon

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
(Reads last couple of posts)

Wow. People really are doing dumb things just to get attention nowadays. Hopefully everyone in the Cleveland area is okay and the guy behind all this lunacy gets arrested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom