• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I don't think it's possible BoTW's in the Adult Timeline.

Because it'd need:

-The ocean to recede
-The royal family to return to Old Hyrule (Curse requires the Goddess' bloodline)
-All the races, or at least the Gerudo and Zora, to return to Old Hyrule and pass on their legends about Nabooru and Ruto there.
-Parts of Old Hyrule to be put in the same stasis as Hyrule Castle was in WW
-The Master Sword to come out of the Ganon statue
-Ganon getting pissed enough to give up his intelligent form after like, two tries.
-Aonuma to want to make a game after the pretty climatic ending of Old Hyrule.
-All this without any mention of those events happening in BoTW, aside from a description for Rock Salt (To be fair I'd say the same about the Downfall Timeline. Pretty odd only OoT would get referenced when the timeline is full of other events that you'd think would get referenced)

And of course it'd require the usual handwaving of other timeline's evidence.
Honestly...I've been thinking Breath of the Wild not only takes place long after any game we've seen so far, it's after a point where the three timelines somehow converged.

Burglar breaks into home, cooks fried chicken

So this popped up in my recommended article list.

Nothing ironic here.
Of course it was Florida.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
We need some spin off manga still in the original universe featuring various "What If" scenarios
Is Jorge Joestar not good enough? With Bruno having a Stand called Stepmom, there being a fake Dio in Part 3, Kars being doomed to suffer the same fate 36 times, Giorno being immune to Made In Heaven's effects, Kira learning the spin and getting the biggest boner he ever had from Lisa Lisa and ****ING MORIOH GROWING LEGS AND MOVING TO ITALY?

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Late night rambling with swamp has led to me making a revelation

Baseball is the Nascar of physical sports. All you do is make left turns.
At least Nascar has big car crashes
I believe you mean to say blernsball is when you take baseball and don't just release the game in beta.

I played cricket for 5 years, hated it but still enjoyed it more than baseball.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Who needs E3 when we've already got the most hype trailer of the year?

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Didn't someone here say something about wanting High Quality Rips from upcoming games?

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Although some swears a present, this is an excellent video that explains why Green Hill has gotten flak for being in Forces
I guess I can understand but I'm not one of the people complaining so it still seems stupid to me. I associate that Green Hill Zone imagery as basically equalling Sonic, so complaining about it being in Forces makes about as much sense to me as complaining that Sonic is in Sonic Forces.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Who needs E3 when we've already got the most hype trailer of the year?

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Somebody put Big in a...shmup? Is that a shmup?

My eyes.
avi_full_noshades.png

My eyes.

More seriously, can't decide if this is the best or worst thing I've seen today.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I really love Big the Cat.

Like really love Big the Cat.

Sure, his game-play was horrible and out of place, but god damn it. He's so endearing. He just wanted to save his pet. Who can hate on a guy that wanted to save his only friend?

Also he's so nice to everyone he meets in the games.

Big the Cat should be loved. No one should hate him.

I love you Big the Cat and wish you more roles in the Sonic Franchise in the future.

I just thought I'd rant about how much I love Big the Cat.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779

Sure, his game-play was horrible and out of place, but god damn it. He's so endearing. He just wanted to save his pet. Who can hate on a guy that wanted to save his only friend?

I love you Big the Cat and wish you more roles in the Sonic Franchise in the future.

funny how his gameplay isnt actually horrible and is the only gameplay that hasnt aged like a rotten diaper in the desert

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

His characterization in the comics was also neat. He's just a slow guy, not dumb. He can also catch bullets and got scared when the Dark Gaia monsters attacked only to effortlessly throw it in to the moon for all we know

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
I guess statistically someone has to.

His characterization in the comics was also neat. He's just a slow guy, not dumb. He can also catch bullets and got scared when the Dark Gaia monsters attacked only to effortlessly throw it in to the moon for all we know
And now I'm gently intrigued.

Goddammit I need to snark today, why you gotta make me have feelings.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
funny how his gameplay isnt actually horrible and is the only gameplay that hasnt aged like a rotten diaper in the desert
You're lying to yourself if you don't think what is essentially a fishing mini-game is not out of place and frustrating in a Sonic the Hedgehog game.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
You know actually very few of Sonic's friends are actually BAD characters. Most of them are just woefully misused by Sonic Team/Sega.

If I had to pick someone who actually is annoying, it'd be Amy, but that's actually a part of her charm/character. Though if Sega was smarter about using Sonic's friends to craft good moments they'd have her have a growing up moment and get over her crush on Sonic that is the central theme of her ''annoyance."

That's not what he said though
I know what he said, but he's also kidding himself if he thinks it's still not bad gameplay. The Adventure games haven't aged well in general, but even when they felt fresh Big's gameplay was infuriating from the very beginning.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Although some swears a present, this is an excellent video that explains why Green Hill has gotten flak for being in Forces
I think he's over thinking it a bit.

People aren't sick of it because they "now realise" it's a marketing ploy, they're just sick of seeing it everywhere regardless of the reason. It's an active desire for something new, like how people were disappointed to find out Mania would have more old stages than new ones. Which is ironic as before that, people said they wanted more old levels to return besides Green Hill Zone, and Mania will be doing that.

Also, by his logic of "every NOT Green Hill Zone is still Green Hill Zone", we can accuse almost any other platforming franchise as being guilty of this. Almost every Mario game starts off with some kind of "World 1-1" grassy plain. Almost every Kirby game starts in a Green Greens clone. Crash Bandicoot games often start on a tropical jungle island. And the reason they do this is because more people have usually played the first level of the first game more than the one fan favourite level at the end, and familiar elements are the best way to goad someone into trying something new.

Personally I can't be too bothered as long as the level is fun to play, but I would appreciate if they have a good lore reason for bringing it back, such as maybe having Mania and Forces being connected.

You know actually very few of Sonic's friends are actually BAD characters. Most of them are just woefully misused by Sonic Team/Sega.

If I had to pick someone who actually is annoying, it'd be Amy, but that's actually a part of her charm/character. Though if Sega was smarter about using Sonic's friends to craft good moments they'd have her have a growing up moment and get over her crush on Sonic that is the central theme of her ''annoyance."

I know what he said, but he's also kidding himself if he thinks it's still not bad gameplay. The Adventure games haven't aged well in general, but even when they felt fresh Big's gameplay was infuriating from the very beginning.
The kind of Amy you're looking for exists in the Sonic Boom universe.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I think he's over thinking it a bit.

People aren't sick of it because they "now realise" it's a marketing ploy, they're just sick of seeing it everywhere regardless of the reason. It's an active desire for something new, like how people were disappointed to find out Mania would have more old stages than new ones. Which is ironic as before that, people said they wanted more old levels to return besides Green Hill Zone, and Mania will be doing that.

Also, by his logic of "every NOT Green Hill Zone is still Green Hill Zone", we can accuse almost any other platforming franchise as being guilty of this. Almost every Mario game starts off with some kind of "World 1-1" grassy plain. Almost every Kirby game starts in a Green Greens clone. Crash Bandicoot games often start on a tropical jungle island. And the reason they do this is because more people have usually played the first level of the first game more than the one fan favourite level at the end, and familiar elements are the best way to goad someone into trying something new.

Personally I can't be too bothered as long as the level is fun to play, but I would appreciate if they have a good lore reason for bringing it back, such as maybe having Mania and Forces being connected.

The kind of Amy you're looking for exists in the Sonic Boom universe.
have you ever seen Sonic Dissected? Over thinking is the entire point :p
Also, the Mario comparison is a bad one as Mario's NSMB series has been criticized for being too samey and that's a genuine criticism of Mario you brought up. And though you have a point with Green Greens, Robobot's first trailer was meant with universal praise and I believe the subtlety that Roger mentioned helped that

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779

i mean if you were bad at fishing i guess i can see how youd think that

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
i mean if you were bad at fishing i guess i can see how youd think that
Ah. Good ole strawman logic.

''If you suck at them there fishing and ain't not good educated redneck who knows the ways of the fisherman. Yousa gonna have a bomb bad time."

Sorry. I don't know why I suddenly became a redneck Gungan there. But the point stands. That makes no sense.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
Ah. Good ole strawman logic.

''If you suck at them there fishing and ain't not good educated redneck who knows the ways of the fisherman. Yousa gonna have a bomb bad time."

Sorry. I don't know why I suddenly became a redneck Gungan there. But the point stands. That makes no sense.
im comming from having played bad fishing games so i can safely say bigs gameplay is not bad in the slightest

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I liked Adventure. I'd probably rate it among my favorite games despite having first played it long after people called it "aged," even.

Mostly Sonic's gameplay style in terms of preference honestly, but moreso because I'm both impatient and don't like being rushed at the same time. Sonic's gameplay ALONE makes the game one of my top games, though.

Reflecting on it, there really wasn't anything WRONG with Big's gameplay, though. It's kind of the opposite of what you'd expect out of a high-speed game, but it doesn't force you to constantly keep running -or else- and it's not like it doesn't function. If it was a minigame like the Chao Garden instead of an entire mandatory storyline people might not even be complaining as much. People don't complain about Zelda having fishing, after all.

Big's a weird character in that he both has very little logical reason to be in a storyline and very little logical reason NOT to be. On one hand you can't place a fisherman in a story as easily as a sidekick or a groupie or even a group of detectives, but on the other hand he's not locked in another dimension or some distant future year to keep inexplicably coming back from. That said, an Adventure-styled game could easily use him as an NPC. Heck, even a current Modern style game could do that, nothing stopped Unleashed from having it even if that was the earliest one. Just gotta give him some little role and a few interesting lines and there you go.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
have you ever seen Sonic Dissected? Over thinking is the entire point :p
Also, the Mario comparison is a bad one as Mario's NSMB series has been criticized for being too samey and that's a genuine criticism of Mario you brought up. And though you have a point with Green Greens, Robobot's first trailer was meant with universal praise and I believe the subtlety that Roger mentioned helped that
Fair point, I have seen many of the Dissected videos actually...

In regards to the Mario comparison though, it isn't just NSMB I was referring to. Almost every other Mario game, including 3D games and RPGs, starts in a grassy plain "World 1-1" type of location. They might also throw Peach's Castle into the background to evoke that Super Mario 64 nostalgia.

It's also used in Super Mario marketing and promotional material as much as Green Hill Zone is with Sonic.

And to be honest, I think Sonic has a bit more justification for it, because at least Green Hill Zone's aesthetic is distinctly part of the Classic Sonic aesthetic. Stuff like the generic Mario World 1-1 (except the ones from the original SMB, those are pretty distinct) plains or the vast majority of Green Greens clones could be put in any "Mr. McPlatformer" game and nobody would think it looks out of place, but the checkerboard plains and blocky mountains and the loop-de-loops of Green Hill Zone are unquestionably part of the Classic Sonic aesthetic, which is why I could even somewhat justify non-GHZ levels using the aesthetic (like Hill Top Zone from Sonic 2, where it's high in the sky and the rock is a blue-ish colour instead of brown/orange).

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
You can easily just make Big the brute. Sonic Chronicles kind of did that. As did Sonic Heroes.

You don't have to regulate him to ''He fishes" to make him playable.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
You can easily just make Big the brute. Sonic Chronicles kind of did that. As did Sonic Heroes.

*imagines Big swinging around his fishing pole with a mace ball attached to it, frogs raining down from the sky*

. . .Alright, I admit I'm curious.

Actually speaking of Chronicles, are we ever gonna have any games other than that and the backstory for CD acknowledge Amy's thing for tarot cards? That's a character detail that just completely slips beneath notice. I wonder how many people even know she does a little fortune telling. Or that any other characters from Smash Bros franchises do for that matter, LOL.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

He isn't a brute in that game, he's a very nice cat who wants be nice with his friends!
In regards to the Mario comparison though, it isn't just NSMB I was referring to. Almost every other Mario game, including 3D games and RPGs, starts in a grassy plain "World 1-1" type of location. They might also throw Peach's Castle into the background to evoke that Super Mario 64 nostalgia.
and that's a genuine criticism of Mario you brought up
And to be honest, I think Sonic has a bit more justification for it, because at least Green Hill Zone's aesthetic is distinctly part of the Classic Sonic aesthetic. Stuff like the generic Mario World 1-1 (except the ones from the original SMB, those are pretty distinct) plains or the vast majority of Green Greens clones could be put in any "Mr. McPlatformer" game and nobody would think it looks out of place, but the checkerboard plains and blocky mountains and the loop-de-loops of Green Hill Zone are unquestionably part of the Classic Sonic aesthetic, which is why I could even somewhat justify non-GHZ levels using the aesthetic (like Hill Top Zone from Sonic 2, where it's high in the sky and the rock is a blue-ish colour instead of brown/orange).
I get that and agree it IS a Classic Sonic thing, but because how 'in your face' Sega's been with it, I've grown to like it less and less. Also please don't remind me of Hill Top Zone, I've yet to see anyone like that. Not to mention I've had the most glitches in that Zone
*imagines Big swinging around his fishing pole with a mace ball attached to it, frogs raining down from the sky*

. . .Alright, I admit I'm curious.
That's almost Sonic Heroes lol

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
He isn't a brute in that game, he's a very nice cat who wants be nice with his friends!

I get that and agree it IS a Classic Sonic thing, but because how 'in your face' Sega's been with it, I've grown to like it less and less. Also please don't remind me of Hill Top Zone, I've yet to see anyone like that. Not to mention I've had the most glitches in that Zone

That's almost Sonic Heroes lol
For the record, frogs raining down from the sky is an actual move in Sonic Chronicles.

Yup.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Oh we're actually going deep with the Big thing, are we?

Well let me just get out my Official Big The Cat Discussion Accessory.

avi_presenting_salt.png

And let's begin.

If it was a minigame like the Chao Garden instead of an entire mandatory storyline people might not even be complaining as much.
Not to put too fine a point on it, but unfortunately Sega made the call to have Big's sections be mandatory.

We've talked before about how I'm not super fond of Jon St. John's voicework on him either. Personally enjoying neither the gameplay of his sections, nor the character as given, he just represents a slog to me.

Really want to like Big, I do, but some stuff's gotta change before I can get behind him.

BBFA3 actually seems to get the idea, but I don't know yet if or how well Sega would take that hint. Their meme game is on point - see Twitter - but they also have this habit of running **** kicking and screaming into the ground.

They did well with him in both of these games as well, more or less, but honestly Adventure left such a sour taste in my mouth I've yet to be won over with those alone.

To remedy this I'm going to need a rock-solid, undeniably awesome standalone Big experience. The more he owns it - i.e. only Big could pull it off - the better.

Pretty sure that Venn diagram looks like my ****ing cheeks, but what do I know, I'm on the Internet.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Chronicles needed fine-tuning. LOTS of it. I hope we get another attempt at a Sonic RPG in the future as the characterization was great. Hell, Big was too dim-witted to be brainwashed by the jellyfish aliens iirc
"Good characterisation" is the last compliment I would give Sonic Chronicles. Even after the soundtrack.

It had the occasional moment but most of the time it either flanderised characters or warped them entirely (i.e. Sonic himself).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
To remedy this I'm going to need a rock-solid, undeniably awesome standalone Big experience. The more he owns it - i.e. only Big could pull it off - the better.
You said it yourself. Big's Big Fishing Adventure 3!
"Good characterisation" is the last compliment I would give Sonic Chronicles. Even after the soundtrack.

It had the occasional moment but most of the time it either flanderised characters or warped them entirely (i.e. Sonic himself).
With Sonic you could make him an ass or serious and Sonic being an ass is exactly how I see him. Omega was pretty cool too in Chronicles.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Honestly, I still think it's Downfall timeline, all things considered. Not that it's flawless, all things considered, but the issue is more with Link being recognized as a hero during OoT than with Ruto awakening as a sage. Anything that gets Link far enough into OoT to attempt to kick Ganon's butt without rewinding the clock to before it started is going to have Ruto awoken as a sage as far as I'm aware from my basic research on the franchise and watching discussions.

. . .Actually, what timeline WOULD OoT be recognized as a hero in? Child wound back time and never did anything in the first place that anyone in Hyrule would know aside from squeal, dying in regret. Adult he vanishes and doesn't show up in it's hour of need and the world had to drown as a result, although the sages were still recognized. Downfall he just flat out died. OoT Link has a. . .bad track record.

Of course, Child is both the timeline least likely to give Link recognition due to aforementioned regrets and the least likely to have Ruto awake since there was never a reason for her to at the time. . .

As Hyrule climbed out of medieval stasis 10,000 years ago and had all previous games BEFORE then and the map for an open world game was almost certainly redrawn, I don't really pay attention to geographical evidence for ANY of the timelines in my observations. For me, the buildings are handwaved in my head as being as cyclic as the reincarnation of the hero and princess and anything else breaks my head that little bit harder.

That said I'm more team "There's a dozen other things I find more fun to overanalyze in a video game than the order the games take place in." I find pointing out openings for alternate possibilities from whatever the consensus in the room is interesting, but left to my own devices I'd probably be more interested in contemplating the events of 100 and 10,000 years ago and what happens from now on rather than the older Zelda timeline.

. . .Maybe there's a fourth timeline. Maybe Link won, then Zelda offered to send Link back and then Link was like, "Nah I can manage without those seven years of my life, what if something worse happens if I'm not here?" Then Link pairs up with his ship of choice and everyone lives happily ever after and society moves on until someone gets the stupid idea to force everyone back into medieval stasis. Hyrule is there, Link wins and is a recognized hero, Ruto is awoken, etc.
In the Adult Timeline Link was recognized as the hero, he was described as the boy who crossed time to defeat evil and thus started the tradition in Wind Waker's Outset Island to clad a boy in the garb of green after the hero when he comes of age...The hero of time was just never around to reap the rewards of a hero...

As I've mentioned the events of the adult era in OoT were still passed onto the Child era through Link's knowledge, he wasn't recognized during his time as a hero simply because of the events that transpired afterwards...Not only did he leave Hyrule for a time, but there was a war that broke out after Ganondorf was exposed which really made an impact on Hyrule...

As for Link himself because he wasn't able to 'save' Hyrule during this time which likely caused him to have his lingering regrets which would only go away once his Shade aided his successor in the Hero of twilight many years later...Sometimes a hero doesn't even recognize themselves as a hero despite the deeds they've done because of how things that turned out afterwards...and much like a Master Artist isn't recognized as a Master until after they die the same was the case for the Hero of Time who's legend was remembered many years later...

I think one possible explanation is that in BotW 'everything in OoT happened,' one reason this could be possible is if we're taking Zelda's speech in the first memory as fact that means the knowledge that the hero used the Master Sword during OoT has been passed down over time in Hyrule's History as is the knowledge of it being used in Skyward Sword's and Twilight Princess's eras...

A Fourth timeline is unlikely as Aonuma and Miyamoto did pretty much confirm that BotW does take place in one of the existing timelines after OoT...I think they also deconfirmed the Adult Timeline though I can't find the source for that, but I think that's fairly obvious at least in my opinion...also the 'history of Calamity Ganon' speech by Impa contradicts the 'Hero wins but never goes back in time' scenario since we are being told that Hyrule had undergone repeated attacks by ganon over time...if that scenario were to occur we would only have one attack on record...
Based on the clues given to us by Aonuma and Miyamoto we can pretty much narrow it down to the Child Timeline and the Downfall Timeline...

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Playing Civ 5.

Scrooge McDuck wants me to declare war on Batman and GLaDOS keeps denouncing me

Mods are fun

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

With Sonic you could make him an *** or serious and Sonic being an *** is exactly how I see him. Omega was pretty cool too in Chronicles.
No, Sonic is not an ***. He can be self-absorbed and has no problems being an arrogant tease to his enemies, and can be immature, but he's never outright mean and malicious to his friends for his own amusement (the closest he ever gets is his friendly teasing with Knuckles, but that's because they have a rivalry and he doesn't mean real harm even there). In Chronicles, Sonic could be outright mean and malicious to everyone around him.

One of Sonic's key character traits since the Classic era (below image is from the Sonic Jam in-game art gallery) has been that he hates seeing other people cry/people being brought to tears, and won't stand for it. Yet Sonic Chronicles gives the player the option to blatantly ignore this key trait, by giving them the option to make him say things that very well could make someone cry (such as the really emotionally manipulative things he can say to Amy in that game - who herself was in a bad place in that game). That's just bad writing no matter how you swing it, a complete and utter misunderstanding of the character. Sonic Chronicles shouldn't have even had that shoehorned "branching dialogue" mechanic from Mass Effect. Unlike Commander Sheperd, Sonic's an established character with an established personality and image. He's not supposed to be an avatar character.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Playing Civ 5.

Scrooge McDuck wants me to declare war on Batman and GLaDOS keeps denouncing me

Mods are fun
Scrooge knows Batman is Bruce Wayne and wants that money.
With GLaDOS you need to put your differences aside, for science.
You monster

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
No, Sonic is not an ***. He can be self-absorbed and has no problems being an arrogant tease to his enemies, and can be immature, but he's never outright mean and malicious to his friends for his own amusement (the closest he ever gets is his friendly teasing with Knuckles, but that's because they have a rivalry and he doesn't mean real harm even there). In Chronicles, Sonic could be outright mean and malicious to everyone around him.

One of Sonic's key character traits since the Classic era (below image is from the Sonic Jam in-game art gallery) has been that he hates seeing other people cry/people being brought to tears, and won't stand for it. Yet Sonic Chronicles gives the player the option to blatantly ignore this key trait, by giving them the option to make him say things that very well could make someone cry (such as the really emotionally manipulative things he can say to Amy in that game - who herself was in a bad place in that game). That's just bad writing no matter how you swing it, a complete and utter misunderstanding of the character. Sonic Chronicles shouldn't have even had that shoehorned "branching dialogue" mechanic from Mass Effect. Unlike Commander Sheperd, Sonic's an established character with an established personality and image. He's not supposed to be an avatar character.
I see Sonic being an ass like how Spiderman is an ass. Quips, jokes, snarky. Hell, Boom Sonic does this too. And while you bring a good point with Amy, I feel like the branches of dialogue could work in character of the blue blur, only being snarky instead of outright mean spirited.
Unless it's Eggman

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995

It did pretty well with some portrayals, not so much with others.

Omega and Big have been noted on the pluses. I'd have to replay the game to get negatives.

Course, that's why I said it.

also the 'history of Calamity Ganon' speech by Impa contradicts the 'Hero wins but never goes back in time' scenario since we are being told that Hyrule had undergone repeated attacks by ganon over time...if that scenario were to occur we would only have one attack on record...
I'm a Child timeliner myself but I gotta poke one teeny hole here.

There's multiple attacks by Ganon in every timeline. Child has OoT, TP, and FSA; Adult has OoT and WW, and Downfall has OoT, LttP, the Oracles, and Zelda 1.

There's a rumour going on that Mania will include Sonic CD-esque animated cutscenes. PLEASE MAKE THIS A REALITY
Real talk? I thought the Sonic CD intro cutscene looked like ass when I played. But when I went digging for references, the vids I pulled up looked...not bad.

This strikes me as odd, and now I need to figure it out.

Time for pi.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I see Sonic being an *** like how Spiderman is an ***. Quips, jokes, snarky. Hell, Boom Sonic does this too. And while you bring a good point with Amy, I feel like the branches of dialogue could work in character of the blue blur, only being snarky instead of outright mean spirited.
Unless it's Eggman
The issue though is that this isn't what Sonic Chronicles did. Sonic isn't just witty or snarky with his enemies/rivals, and isn't just simply immature and petty at times. Sonic's just straight up mean to everyone. That's not Sonic. That's closer to Eggman, honestly.

It did pretty well with some portrayals, not so much with others.

Omega and Big have been noted on the pluses. I'd have to replay the game to get negatives.
To be honest I disagree with even that. Big and Omega had the odd funny one-liner but overall they were pretty flanderised. Big was flat out stupid (there's a difference between being slow and aloof, and being stupid), and Omega's whole superiority complex was played up waaaay too much. The whole point of Omega's character arc between Heroes/Shadow/'06 was that he had developed into a character that understood the importance of organic life forms and was capable of experiencing feelings like one, such as his loyalty to Shadow as a friend. Chronicles and the Archie Comics throw all that away in favour of making him act like organic life is inferior to him all of the time. I think giving Omega a superiority complex is better utilised when it's in relation to Eggman's other creations and him seeing himself as better than Eggman, but not in comparison to every other thing that breathes.

They both have some fun little moments here but otherwise it's a shadow of their former selves.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom