• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Alright everyone, I have really ****ing bad news here
https://mediacraft.rockuapps.com/articles/fire-emblem-heroes-units-list-unveiled-for-mobile
Not all characters are avaible, so let me check this list...
>No Sigurd
>Eirika is the only SS character
>There are two Tellius characters
>No Dieck
>Ursula, the least important of all of FE7's villains, is the only one of them
>Narcian is here but not Valter what is this ****
>Using Awakening's Tiki artwork for young Tiki
>Guess which games dominate the list?

And worst of all: there's no ****ing Joshua

I'm assuming more characters will be added with future updates(hopefully) but seriously, while I can at least understand with the japan-only games, Tellius has TWO characters and Magvel doesn't even have its second lord.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
https://mediacraft.rockuapps.com/articles/fire-emblem-heroes-units-list-unveiled-for-mobile
>No Sigurd
>No Dieck

I'm assuming more characters will be added with future updates(hopefully) but seriously, while I can at least understand with the japan-only games, Tellius has TWO characters and Magvel doesn't even have its second lord.
> tfw there are two Sully's.

I'm just happy Virion's there. :p

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
It's easy for me to say, as an Awakening Fates newbie, but there seems to be plenty enough there to last a long time before they add more, assuming you do free-to-play. It's going to take a lot of waiting and gambling to get the ones we desire, and even more to increase their skills/stars.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
>No Sigurd
>No Dieck

Well Leo Niles and Jakob are in so Im happy

D

Deleted member

bruh

bruh

are you implying you don't like Narcian

I may have some words for you

:troll:
I like Narcian, he's probably the only entertaining villain in FE6
But Valter is SO much better and build up
Narcian constantly leaves things to his subordinates, is never build up as a threat, has very little screentime compared to Valter and as a result his death has no payoff
Valter shows up on the Prologue, kicks SETH's ass, kicks Glen's ass later on, is deliberately screwing up both sides to keep the war going for his own amusement(which gives a justification for him to leave work for his minions) and, while he's a pushover when you finally fight him, at least you feel some satisfaction from killing him.
Valter also has the best desert map ever created in a FE game. Narcian has a standard FE6 map.

D

Deleted member

I think they're trying to remind us of THAT chapter. :p

Also, they had ONE job. Maybe they're giving us weaker villains first so no one gets stupidly broken units off the bat.(I.E. Black Knight and Arvis who have nigh perfect stats) Yeah you have Zephiel, but he's not nearly as broken.(Then again, it doesn't explain the lack of Nergal and other not too OP villains...)

Either way, I'm getting it once they add more charactets.

Last edited by a moderator:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
>No Sigurd
>No Dieck

So let me get this straight.

FE8, FE9 and FE10 have three characters in total.

What the hell.
I can only assume this is a preliminary list.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Also, is there anywhere we can find uploads/rips of all the art we've seen so far? I need Minerva's art. For a friend.
So let me get this straight.

FE8, FE9 and FE10 have three characters in total.

What the hell.
I can only assume this is a preliminary list.
Could be they're holding them back for a future event(perhaps to coincide with VC rereleases?)...though why they have any characters in that case I don't know.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
>No Sigurd
>No Dieck

I'm honestly surprised they went with Gatrie for the second Tellius character, I wasn't expecting too many more after Ike, but he seems like an oddball right next to him considering he doesn't have as much importance or popularity as many other characters. Oh well, at least we get another in the Knight class and he's one of the better ones in the games.

Can't say I'm too surprised most of the love went to the 3DS games though, aside from the Archanea games, they are the most recognizable at the moment so of course they'll play that hand the most out of the series. I'm a bit disappointed as there are characters I was looking forward to out of the others, but I'm sure they'll get their chance soon and at least there are some old favorites of mine out of the current ones for me to go for once the game launches.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Wii sold well because it appealed to a market outside of the industry, it actually did very poorly among gamers.

It had the lowest attach rate out of all Gen VII consoles:

and the console was constantly critically panned by gamers as it being one with very few interesting games. In fact, the majority of best selling Wii games, were games aimed at people who weren't really interested in gaming:

Contrasted to the PS3, and you see a clear difference:

In fact, going into the WiiU, one of the main concerns among gamers was if Nintendo would be able to re-establish itself as a top dog of the industry again, and fix its reputation, rather than remain as the outsider that pandered to non-gamers and did its own thing. Because in many ways, the Wii was a failure within the industry and to gamers veiled as a success due to it grabbing an audience from outside gaming. However, it's very evident just how the successful the Wii really was in gaming when you look at its abysmal retention rate, and how it failed to turn that audience drew into gaming with the Wii, into gamers with the WiiU, ESPECIALLY in a growing industry.

In many ways, the Wii is DEFINITELY an outlier. 90% of the consoles sold were sold were sold to non-gamers who didn't return, and the majority of gamers simply shelved the thing and let it collect dust.

Thus, now we can look at this trend with more clarity:

This trend will persist so long as Nintendo continues to dance at the beat of their own drum.
Not that I don't know Wii attracts those who don't play much video games, and that boost the Wii sales but made most gamers think that Nintendo is a kiddie company.
I don't think that Wii appeal the casual audiences is a good thing, but I also think that it's not a bad thing either. People who are non-gamers are the majority, so that's why the Wii sell really well. However, it did turn out to be a fad after Microsoft and Sony adapt motion controls. My Wii didn't collect dust until we bought a Wii U, so I am probably the special case. Also the Wii best selling game chart, only Mario Kart Wii, NSMB Wii, Super Mario Galaxy, Brawl were the games that hard core gamers would also enjoy. Wii sports, Wii Fit were bundle with the console, so that's why it sell well. Games on PS3, were all big titles, but most didn't sell better than those games on the Wii. So Wii actually does have games that gamers can enjoy, like Metriod Prime, Animal Crossing, Zelda, Xenoblade, etc. were all games that we as a gamer enjoys. Gamers and casuals are still consumers, and the Wii attract tons of casuals, but not much gamers.
And I don't really understand with you saying Nintendo "beat of their own drum", I admit Nintendo does crappy decisions and marketing (Especially in my country). I do see them trying to change in a different pace, maybe it's just me but I think Nintendo is going a different route this time.

About that Nintendo console sales chart, since you think Switch is a portable not a home console, maybe we should take a look at the handheld sales. Which Nintendo are still good at.

It may take a bit of miracle for Switch to sell more than Wii U within 2017...

I can't be certain on how well the Switch is going to sell. My lowest expectation is the Switch has to sell better than the Wii U, it's not hard right?
he Switch has NO business existing in the home console market. End of story. It's not gonna draw an audience from either 3rd party devs, or gamers. As a portable though, it's very well justified, as the 3DS is at its very limit, and holding back the software (Pokemon is the best example of this). And no, this has nothing to do with "graphics" either, things like physics, content, animations, sound, engines, etc... all play into how powerful a console is, and those are all part of the user experience.
Third party dev will be skeptic on the Switch when it launch, if Switch sells really well. I don't see the reason third party devs not coming to Switch.
Speaking of Pokemon, if strong handheld titles like Pokemon, Yokai Watch, Monster Hunter had their main games on the console, along with other big titles. I can see this can be a chance to boost the Switch's sale.
My prediction is that it'll sell 20-30 million units lifetime. I see it as a portable console, and the downward trend for Nintendo will continue so long as they continue to march at the beat of their own drum. There's no way the Switch is outselling the 3DS. And yes, this IS a portable console, regardless of what Nintendo says. It's got portable hardware, and is built with a portable mindset. AFAIC, they've dropped out of the home console market with the discontinuation of the WiiU, they just refuse to outright say it as it's bad PR.
Again ,that's only from your perspective and I respect that. To be honest I will being using Switch as a handheld for the most of the time. I don't think I will even bother playing on the TV. Nevertheless I personally think the line between home console and handheld is not clear anymore. With PC being more superior than home consoles, and mobile devices like phones and tablet can also play games that home console also had. I don't see Switch being a hybrid console is a terrible idea.
It's better to stay in observational perspective, wait for the console to launch and see how it goes. Doing these review, speculations don't really mean much anything.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think they're trying to remind us of THAT chapter. :p
Honestly, 26 isn't THAT bad on Eliwood Normal, it gets harde on HM and even more on HHM but have you SEEN 26x? I wish I could have skipped it but I needed the Fell Contract for Matthew and all the exp Nino could get
Also, they had ONE job. Maybe they're giving us weaker villains first so no one gets stupidly broken units off the bat.(I.E. Black Knight and Arvis who have nigh perfect stats) Yeah you have Zephiel, but he's not nearly as broken.(Then again, it doesn't explain the lack of Nergal and other not too OP villains...)

Either way, I'm getting it once they add more charactets.
They could have had Lloyd, you know how much I wanted him since I saw that unique sprite?

I'm getting it either way, some of my favorites are in here already and while it's a roster choice more questionabe than Jojo All-Star Battle's, I'm sure I'll have fun and will have already got most that I want until they update with new characters

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Good stuff.

Also lol, pre oder.

So today, years ago, an event happened which made the Earth groan, for a genuinely pessimistic optimist was born who was a terrible racketball player.

That's right... today...

View attachment 125477

-File photo-

Is my birthday. Thanks for making another (ha ha) funny and (gee, that's interesting) funny year.
Happy birthday!

So nintendo shared an updataed list Of the best selling Wii u and 3DS games
Wii U

• Mario Kart 8 – 8.26 million
  • New Super Mario Bros. U – 5.62 million
  • Super Mario 3D World – 5.47 million
  • Nintendo Land – 5.16 million
  • Super Smash Bros. for Wii U – 5.16 million
  • Splatoon – 4.76 million
  • Super Mario Maker – 3.89 million
  • New Super Luigi U2.89 million
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD – 2.11 million
  • Mario Party 10 – 2.04 million

Nintendo 3DS

• Pokémon X/Pokémon Y – 16.06 million
  • Mario Kart 7 – 14.82 million
  • Pokémon Sun/Pokémon Moon – 14.69 million
  • Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire – 13.68 million
  • Super Mario 3D Land – 11.17 million
  • New Super Mario Bros. 2 – 11.09 million
  • Animal Crossing: New Leaf – 10.45 million
  • Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS – 8.59 million
  • Tomodachi Life – 5.58 million
  • Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon – 5.20 million
Neither smash was best selling
Wow, Sun and Moon is the third best-selling 3DS game already. At this rate it'll be the best-selling game by summer.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Can we just take a minute to appreciate that Fire Emblem Heroes is using the Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. artstyle for Arthur?

:')

D

Deleted member

Not that I don't know Wii attracts those who don't play much video games, and that boost the Wii sales but made most gamers think that Nintendo is a kiddie company.
I don't think that Wii appeal the casual audiences is a good thing, but I also think that it's not a bad thing either. People who are non-gamers are the majority, so that's why the Wii sell really well. However, it did turn out to be a fad after Microsoft and Sony adapt motion controls. My Wii didn't collect dust until we bought a Wii U, so I am probably the special case. Also the Wii best selling game chart, only Mario Kart Wii, NSMB Wii, Super Mario Galaxy, Brawl were the games that hard core gamers would also enjoy. Wii sports, Wii Fit were bundle with the console, so that's why it sell well. Games on PS3, were all big titles, but most didn't sell better than those games on the Wii. So Wii actually does have games that gamers can enjoy, like Metriod Prime, Animal Crossing, Zelda, Xenoblade, etc. were all games that we as a gamer enjoys. Gamers and casuals are still consumers, and the Wii attract tons of casuals, but not much gamers.
Absolutely not.

Gaming Industry should cater to gamers first and foremost, and then expand outside. It was the Wii's impact on the competition that turned Gen VII into one of the worst generations. Companies and devs kept trying to make videogames into either waggle-fests or films. And while the best selling games on PS3 didn't sell as well as the best sellers on Wii, look at the top 100, and you see a massive drop off in software sales after the top 9 for Wii, whereas PS3 games consistently sell millions. Likewise, do note that the PS3 was a console with a smaller install base, and far more variety than the Wii. Ofc the majority of Wii software sales would pool into a select number of titles whereas the PS3's is more spread out. This is why you look at the software-hardware tie ratio as well, aka the Attach rate. To see how it all compares in the large scheme of things. Part of the reason of the PS4's current success is because of its record-breaking attach rate, already outpacing the PS2, aka the best-selling console of all time. The evidence is clear, appeal to gamers, and success will come you way. Neglecting the core audience of the industry to branch out and appeal top casuals is absurd. And Nintendo should know by now that that audience is fickle, and only interested in following trends. Only reason Wii was so successful was because it was a trend, not because it was a good machine.

And I don't really understand with you saying Nintendo "beat of their own drum", I admit Nintendo does crappy decisions and marketing (Especially in my country). I do see them trying to change in a different pace, maybe it's just me but I think Nintendo is going a different route this time.

About that Nintendo console sales chart, since you think Switch is a portable not a home console, maybe we should take a look at the handheld sales. Which Nintendo are still good at.

It may take a bit of miracle for Switch to sell more than Wii U within 2017...

I can't be certain on how well the Switch is going to sell. My lowest expectation is the Switch has to sell better than the Wii U, it's not hard right?
Not quite, this graph needs to be contextualized some. If you look at the lifetime sales of all those consoles, you also see a downward trend with a spike at the DS:

http://static2.businessinsider.com/image/56a12257dd08952a108b45eb-1177-550/wiiusalesholy****.jpg

3DS is Nintendo's WORST-selling handheld.

Reason for this is quite simple in fact:

newzoo.png
Switch.jpg

While the industry at large is expanding, the handheld market is getting cannibalized by the mobile market.

This is what frustrates me the most about the Switch. What Nintendo should have done is make the Switch a dedicated portable device, aimed at the growing Blue and Magenta Persona/Floating screen markets. They really had it there, and could have pushed the industry into a new forefront by giving 3rd party devs a solid platform which ventured into a new market.

Here's how you do it. You push the Switch out as a dedicated gaming tablet, yes, with the Joycons as they are, where you can attach them to the console, or take them off, but none of that gimmicky HDR or motion stuff. A powerful chip, like Pascal to keep battery life and performance optimum, and a bunch of added features like a 4G network for communication and online play away from home (especially since we'll be soon moving into 5G and "always online networking" - hint hint, upgrade in 2020), and access to common apps like Whatsapp, and Skype, etc... all built in. Rather than needing a phone to make the most out of Nintendo's console, the console itself should double as a decent tablet with strong gaming capabilities at a budget price compared to other tablets on the market.

Which is EXACTLY what consoles are to PC, a cheaper more unified alternative, and also the EXACT strategy Sony pulled with the PS2.

What were they thinking latching onto the handheld market like that? The utter shortsightedness of it all. A dedicated gaming tablet with Nintendo's brand attached to it, and with a lot of power for a relatively cheap price would not only be a massive success, but just thinking about it makes me wanna pick something like that up. Instead we got the Switch, which has a massive identity crisis and lacks the proper aspects of a portable device due to a lack of direction. HDR, "share the joy," party games? ARMS? Man, no one cares about that. Only the most loyal of Nintendo fans are gonna pick that up. While you could have had the SNES/PS2 of tablets instead, and pushed the industry into a new forefront.

Because the fact of the matter is, the gaming industry is gonna go through some radical changes in the coming generation thanks to the power of portable devices and the potential of VR and the similarties between PC and home consoles.

Sticking to old models is only gonna hold you back, and while the Switch "pretends" to be innovative, it's not. The Vita did everything the Switch could do, and much better. Switch should have been a push into a new section of the market, and regularize the model of mobile gaming, not... "a hybrid console."

Third party dev will be skeptic on the Switch when it launch, if Switch sells really well. I don't see the reason third party devs not coming to Switch.
Speaking of Pokemon, if strong handheld titles like Pokemon, Yokai Watch, Monster Hunter had their main games on the console, along with other big titles. I can see this can be a chance to boost the Switch's sale.
Monster Hunter is going multiplat, the next big installment will likely hit PS4 and Vita as well:

https://mynintendonews.com/2016/11/...-west-and-feels-handhelds-are-limiting-sales/

As for Pokemon, their games don't top out 14million on average. Which isn't too far from what other best-sellers on WiiU and 3DS already do based on the data someone else already posted ITT.

Yokai Watch is hardly relevant.

Again ,that's only from your perspective and I respect that. To be honest I will being using Switch as a handheld for the most of the time. I don't think I will even bother playing on the TV. Nevertheless I personally think the line between home console and handheld is not clear anymore. With PC being more superior than home consoles, and mobile devices like phones and tablet can also play games that home console also had. I don't see Switch being a hybrid console is a terrible idea.
It's better to stay in observational perspective, wait for the console to launch and see how it goes. Doing these review, speculations don't really mean much anything.
Not quite, the line between portable and home consoles is very clear. If you can take it on the go, it's a portable. If you can play it on a TV, it's a home console. It's the line between home consoles and gaming PCs that's getting blurred, but that's always been somewhat vague anyway.

The newzoo graphs I posted above should show that clearly.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
>No Sigurd
>No Dieck

>No Sigurd
>No Sigurd

Why do you do this to me, Nintendo? Why?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Good stuff.

Also lol, pre oder.
This shouldn't be surprising though.

WiiU also sold out at preorders, and sold over 3 million in its first 3 months. Switch is shipping only 2 million during the first bit, and considering you've got an install base of approx 9 million dedicated fans, and the preorders are only a small fraction of the 2 million shipped, 500,000 preorders burning fast shouldn't be surprising, in fact, it should be expected. That's why scalpers are making a killing atm.

As for the Switch selling at a profit, that's exactly part of the long term problem this console has. It's tricking its core fanbase for some extra bucks before being forced to cut the price down a couple years in because few people will be willing to drop $300 for it. I personally don't care about how much money Nintendo makes on things that don't benefit me (it's the same argument with amiibos). "They made so much money..." cool, making stuff I don't like, instead of making quality games and machines. It's precisely BECAUSE they continuously make money from dedicated fans willing to buy anything they put out that they're in the very problem they currently find themselves in. I don't see how it's anything to be excited about. On the contrary, I'd rather they sell it at a loss from the getgo, offer a meaningful online service (not their joke they're trying to pass off as reasonable), and draw in a large install base to ensure quality content on the Switch for a long time.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I mean, I don't blame them. The Jugdral characters are likely the ones international audiences know the least.

The only thing baffling to me is the relative lack of Sacred Stones characters. I figured they might push that more considering it's available on the eShop.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
@ManlySpirit

Just wondering, do you stand to gain something if the Switch ultimately fails? I'm not saying it to attack you.
I would personally stand to gain if Nintendo went 3rd party like Sega, so I haven't been bothering to defend them. Is there a similar reason for you?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Didn't Hyrule Warriors launch with nothing but content from four games
Yep.

Honestly that's why I'm expecting Fire Emblem Warriors to only have Shadow Dragon, Awakening, Fates, and maybe Shadows of Valentia characters to start, plus maybe Ike as a bonus due to sheer popularity.

Magvel, Jugdral, Elibe, and other Tellius charactes will likely be DLC at best.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I mean, I don't blame them. The Jugdral characters are likely the ones international audiences know the least.
They also include a lot of characters from FE6, which didn't get an international release either. Though I suppose that game has Roy and a connection to FE7.

I'm pretty sure Gaiden characters will be added to coincide with the release of Echoes. Tellius and Magvel I could see being released alongside VC rereleases of those games. Jugdral will probably coincide with either a Japan-only rerelease or an anniversary or something, unless IS already has plans to remake those games.

I'm sure there will be events for the other games as well since none of them have their complete casts in the game.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
> Excluding all of the Judgral characters for a future event
> Ike gets to stay alone with no other character than The Black Knight.

This is fine
Sorry, but that is a dead meme.

I really need a new avatar.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Didn't Hyrule Warriors launch with nothing but content from four games
I think it was just three, Majora's Mask content came a bit later as DLC and then most everything else came out much later with Legends. At least as far as character and map content is concerned.

(Well unless you count the original Legend of Zelda for the adventure map and a few bosses and whatnot)

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
It's ok, I think I can deal with steroids induced Komasan for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom